PDA

View Full Version : Egg Nog

d'Anconia
11-10-2005, 06:55 PM
I just called my local Ralph's and it turns out that they have Egg Nog in. I just wanted you guys all to know that because it means that my quality of life pretty much just doubled. Expect me to gain 15lbs in the coming month no problem.

Oh and for those who don't know, I'm referring to the non-alcoholic kind, although I'm sure I'll dab into the other every so often.

It's just too bad they only let you buy it seasonally. ALL HAIL THE NOG :bow:

Manveet
11-10-2005, 06:57 PM
why is it only available seasonally?

Jorge Sanchez
11-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Because it's disgusting, and Christmas is the only time that it is acceptable to drink enough rum to make it bearable.

getfit
11-10-2005, 07:37 PM
there's not anything i hate the most then eggnog*gag* sorry, it's beyond me ever drinking that.

Manveet
11-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Eggnog is amazing.

getfit
11-10-2005, 07:43 PM
:( i can't drink it for my life!

d'Anconia
11-10-2005, 08:01 PM
LOL I think it's one of those things like Black Licorice where either you love it or hate it.

It wouldn't be seasonal if I decided to put the effort into following a recipe to make it...

Nongan
11-10-2005, 08:56 PM
eggnog is awesome, I downed a gallon of it between yesterday and today, and a gallon of milk :D Gotta love the holidays.

Jorge Sanchez
11-10-2005, 08:59 PM
^^Personally when I drink eggnog it's usually a 2:1 rum:eggnog ratio, so I don't think I could do that. It might be fun to try though.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-10-2005, 09:05 PM
I...freaking...LOVE...egg nog. :)

d'Anconia
11-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Hahahhaha, the reinforcements have arrived!

ShockBoxer
11-10-2005, 09:22 PM
I only like home-made eggnog. Store bought I find gross.

But I'd happily down a liter or two of home-made barely pausing for air.

anasthetic
11-10-2005, 10:31 PM
I love eggnog, but isn't it really hardcore junk food? After all it's loaded with sugar.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-10-2005, 11:15 PM
But...it tastes SO good. :drooling:

Organichu
11-11-2005, 12:16 AM
Nutritional breakdown for one glass of generic egg nog:

Calories: 342
Fat: 19
--Sat. Fat: 11
Carbs:34

Jesus, didn't know it was so much.. I've had two liters of this in a day before. That's eight glasses, and over 2,500 calories. o_o

--Addendum: it does taste incredible. :D

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Ehh...I couldn't possibly drink that much. A glass or two is fine...but you guys guzzling half a gallon...I couldn't stomach that much nog, man.

tigo
11-11-2005, 02:16 PM
cant get too muc hnoggg

RickTheDestroyer
11-11-2005, 03:51 PM
I find the store bought* to be a little thick for general drinking purposes, but find it pretty tasty when diluted with a little milk. The rum doesn't hurt, either.
I'm glad I've already decided to get fat(ter) this winter.

(*I've never had homemade, and don't know how thick it is in comparison.)

Rock
11-11-2005, 03:54 PM
arent those eggs raw...nobodys been watching the news lately!

ShockBoxer
11-11-2005, 08:50 PM
I find the store bought* to be a little thick for general drinking purposes, but find it pretty tasty when diluted with a little milk. The rum doesn't hurt, either.
I'm glad I've already decided to get fat(ter) this winter.

(*I've never had homemade, and don't know how thick it is in comparison.)

Get a good homemade recipe and it blows the storebought to bits. Plus it's mostly milk so it's not as thick. I used to drink it out of the pitcher after my parents had gone to bed.

Storebought I can only stomach in a 70/30 mix.

d'Anconia
11-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Hahhahaha I downed a half gallon yesterday and it looks like it'll be another half-gallon today.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-11-2005, 09:32 PM
I can't wait to get me some holiday egg nog. I don't start buying it until December. I don't know why. But all this talk of egg nog might make me cave in. :cry:

RickTheDestroyer
11-11-2005, 09:43 PM
I guess I'll try making some this year.
Does anyone have a good recipe? Most of the ones I've found online are basically just raw eggs, sugar, and liquor. I'd like one with some milk in it, probably (or maybe not- I'm just guessing based on the viscosity being an issue with the store-bought). Also, they all say to do the yolk prep the day before and chill it, and then whip and add the whites shortly before you serve it- how does it hold up after that? Will it keep for a couple days or does it all need to get gone that day?

Hmm... I may need to start making some practice batches.

dw06wu
11-11-2005, 10:32 PM
I...freaking...LOVE...egg nog. :)
its like the nectar of the gods. seriously.

ShockBoxer
11-12-2005, 05:32 AM
I guess I'll try making some this year.
Does anyone have a good recipe? Most of the ones I've found online are basically just raw eggs, sugar, and liquor. I'd like one with some milk in it, probably (or maybe not- I'm just guessing based on the viscosity being an issue with the store-bought). Also, they all say to do the yolk prep the day before and chill it, and then whip and add the whites shortly before you serve it- how does it hold up after that? Will it keep for a couple days or does it all need to get gone that day?

Hmm... I may need to start making some practice batches.

My father makes the best eggnog I've ever had. I'll have to see if I can get the recipe again ... or resign myself to only having it when I go over for Christmas dinner. Probably the healthier, if less tasty on demand, choice.

DarthDave
11-13-2005, 08:47 PM
Haven't been on the boards for over a month...so I sit down tonight to check out a few topics while sipping on a big mug of EGG NOG!!!!! and I see this topic.

Egg Nog forever!!!!

blast
11-13-2005, 09:10 PM
EGG NOG KICKS ASS.

End of story.

(I'm gonna go get some tomorrow...I've been looking for an easy way to bulk up)

Oh, btw, I found a recipe last year and made my own....until one day I didn't mix it enough and got a huge chunk of egg yolk...mmmmm

blast
11-14-2005, 11:55 AM
NO WAY!!!

I went to the 2 closest stores, and neither have egg nog yet!

What is the world coming to? :cry:

traptiron
11-14-2005, 12:16 PM
hahaha those eggnog nutrityion stats seem so bad for you hahah

theSCHICK
11-14-2005, 02:16 PM
I honestly count down the days until they put eggnog back on the shelves. I love it.

Eggnog + happiness = nogginess

d'Anconia
11-14-2005, 03:48 PM
That sucks they already got it out at both the grocery stores near me. If anyone has a recipe that perhaps has less sugar in it and maybe more protein I would love to hear it. Post it up or PM me with it cuz I'd love to be able to "customize" my nog.