PDA

View Full Version : macronutrient ratios - percentages vs. calculated from LBM

SpecialK
11-11-2005, 09:52 AM
So for a long time I have used percentages to calculate my P/F/C, based on my total cals. I use my weight and strength progression (or lack thereof) to decide when to increase cals, and then my percentages change accordingly.

Right now I use the 40/40/20 p/c/f split, and I'm consuming 4300 cals per day. I've been training for about 2 years now and have been clean bulking for almost all of that time.

I was wondering if we could get a discussion going about which method people prefer and why.

Manveet
11-11-2005, 10:44 AM
So for a long time I have used percentages to calculate my P/F/C, based on my total cals. I use my weight and strength progression (or lack thereof) to decide when to increase cals, and then my percentages change accordingly.

Right now I use the 40/40/20 p/c/f split, and I'm consuming 4300 cals per day. I've been training for about 2 years now and have been clean bulking for almost all of that time.

I was wondering if we could get a discussion going about which method people prefer and why.

Percentages dont mean a whole lot.

Once you get in your required protein and fat, the rest is just extra cals needed for growth. Some people feel that they do much better with higher fat diets (carb sensitive folks), while others like a higher carb diet. I don't pay attention at all to my ratios and I always seem to eat something like 30/40/30 p/c/f.

JustLost
11-11-2005, 12:09 PM
I've done both, but now I basically plan my day's food starting with protein, EFAs, and fiber, then use fats and carbs to bring calories up to whatever the goal is at the time. I've found that I feel best when I keep carbs between about 150 and 250 g, so that gets worked into the equation somewhere.

When I'm feeling really lazy, I just make sure I get enough protein and fiber, and let everything else take care of itself. ;)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-11-2005, 12:16 PM
*waits for Built to comment*

Built
11-11-2005, 12:43 PM
*waits for Built to comment*

<Built giggles>

It's all been said.

I think for maintenance calories, looking at your ratios relative to total cals is where the confusion lies.

If the total calories in your day doesn't change, well, then you're not measuring your macros against a sliding scale.

But for those of us whose calories fluctuate according to whether we're bulking, cutting, carb-cycling ... well, as has been mentioned above, the ratios need to be fixed to something that's more static, and more meaningful - LBM.

SpecialK
11-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Well even still, I am 6', 212, about 12%ish bf. I am consuming 4300 cals per day. That works out to about 430g each of protein and carbs, and 95g of fat.

I mean those aren't bad numbers any way you choose to interpret them, right?

Manveet
11-11-2005, 01:41 PM
Well even still, I am 6', 212, about 12%ish bf. I am consuming 4300 cals per day. That works out to about 430g each of protein and carbs, and 95g of fat.

I mean those aren't bad numbers any way you choose to interpret them, right?

Those numbers look fine, although you could even take away a little protein and throw in some more healthy fat.

SpecialK
11-11-2005, 01:53 PM
Those numbers look fine, although you could even take away a little protein and throw in some more healthy fat.

You know, I would really like to see a study that demonstrates that more than 20% of ones calories coming from fat, or even more than 15%, has a measureable effect on hormone levels than any smaller amount of fat. People throw that around all the time on here and I would really like to understand the scientific basis for it.

Built
11-11-2005, 02:03 PM
You're thinking that ratios of total calories are meaningful again.

Here's a link: http://ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=2&a=6

tigo
11-11-2005, 02:14 PM
damn
bulking for 2 years...
wish i coudl do that :[

WillKuenzel
11-11-2005, 03:03 PM
Couple of interesting studies on fats:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12840186&query_hl=1

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=2308514&query_hl=5

There are more but I don't understand them all and won't post unless I can explain some of them. For some of you more educated types:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Display&dopt=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=12840186