PDA

View Full Version : University meal plan is killllllling me!

Chicker
11-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Hi guys,

I haven't posted in...well...I'm not even sure, over a year maybe. Anyway, I recently started university, and within 3 months, I've gained the "freshmen 15"...and we're not talking muscle here, guys. Here's the deal, I've already paid for my meal plan - I can't opt out, and it's mandatory to begin with anyway. I have no access to a kitchen, only a microwave. :cry:

I have $50/month to buy extra food, and my question is, what do you guys recommend I spend that on...here's what I'm normally eating on weekdays off of the meal plan (as of the 15 lb discovery):

Breakfast
raisin bran with skim milk
OR
omelette sandwich thingy, no butter on the bread because it's disgusting

Lunch
tuna sandwich
or
egg salad sandwich
or
some sort of meat sandwich (although I'm less inclined to pick this option because I only recently gave up on vegetarianism and meat still makes me a little sick)

Dinner
Salad (iceberg lettuce, sigh)...no dressing because it's repulsive, like the butter
Stir fry with tofu
OR
depending on the "specialty", I might have that, but usually it's gross. If I do have it though, it's usually potatoes or rice with some entree thing, for example, last week it was this spinache and potato thing.

Unfortunately the only other option besides the stir fry is the grill, where you can get grilled cheese sandwiches, fries, etc...all pretty "fast food"ish.

I'm working on getting over the meat-sickness thing so I can have the chicken breast they have at the sandwich bar.

Anyway, I realize that it's not the greatest diet, but I'm sort of trapped. I don't think I'm eating enough, so that's where the extra food I'm buying is going to come into play.

PS. I've forgotten most of what I knew about nutrition/diets, don't laugh at me!

Davidelmo
11-12-2005, 06:34 PM
You need to double the amount of meals if you're looking to gain weight.

You didnt mention your goals... are you trying to gain/lose weight, cut/bulk etc?

Chicker
11-12-2005, 06:36 PM
I'd like to lose weight for now. So, cut.

Davidelmo
11-12-2005, 06:42 PM
Well most of the food there is reasonably healthy so that's a decent start.

Do you have access to a gym or weight?

Without the appropriate exercise you will just lose lots of muscle and not get rid of the fat you have put on.

Chicker
11-12-2005, 06:45 PM
The food is only healthy because I'm picking the only healthy options. Haha. The stir fry isn't all that healthy either, they fillllll the frying pan with oil.

Yes, there is a gym. Unfortunately it's at the bottom of an escarpment, so...leg work outs leave me dreading the return to the top of the escarpment. But anyway.