PDA

View Full Version : Huge loss of appetite.. this happened to anyone else?

Davidelmo
11-13-2005, 06:27 AM
I started lifting in the Summer but didnt really know what i was doing.

I've done my research since and been eating loads and lifting properly for about a month now.

I've been forcing myself to eat food, drink shakes etc every day but for the last 4 days I havent been able to eat anything at all.

I feel starving.. my stomach is empty and very noisy and I crave food... but as soon as I sit down I pick at it and just can't eat. It's hard to explain but it's like I've lost the will to eat.. even though I'm starving.

It's horrible seeing the weight FALL OFF... I'd be lucky if I've managed 1500 cals a day. I've been drinking loads of milk and mixing peanut butter and protein powder in in an effort to keep the cals up but I havent had a full proper meal in 4 days. :cry:

Has this happened to anyone else?
I think it may be because I've been forcing myself to eat so much recently.. have I pushed it too far? Is there any way to overcome this?

getfit
11-13-2005, 06:36 AM
i think the only time i have loss of appetite is when i'm stressed.

Davidelmo
11-13-2005, 06:50 AM
Actually that could be it... I'm a med student 2nd year, and the pressure is horrible... 6 assignments on the go, 30hrs of lectures a week, plus further reading etc etc etc etc etc :(

getfit
11-13-2005, 06:54 AM
i can understand the pressure you're going through.My brother who majors in chemistry and math and was 320 dropped down to 300, due to all the countless hrs of studying and so on... so i can see where you're coming from.Good Luck :)

AzBboy
11-13-2005, 11:58 AM
I posted this same crud last week. Last week, I couldnt eat for crap, it was real work cramming my 3400 cals which is normally cakewalk for me. I had to drink more shakes and crud, some reason I could not stomach even close to my norm. But, only a week later, I'm already eating like a champ again, no prob. You'll overcome, some dude posted in my post that the body can go back to baseline eating when you've been on an increased cal diet for a while as a way of rebelling. You'll be back soon enough trust me.

waynis
11-14-2005, 09:16 AM
stress, depression can definetly be the main culprit.

galileo
11-14-2005, 10:02 AM
I ate 1 meal a day for 2 weeks after a breakup with a long-term girlfriend. I just couldn't force any additional food down. It happens.

Davidelmo
11-14-2005, 12:35 PM
It sucks yep :(

Just got my diet back on track today. I'm eating like CRAZY to try and get some weight back. I'm going to the gym in about an hour but I've managed 4000kcal so far and it's only 7:30pm lol

Still time for 2 more meals, muwahahaha! :D:D

bschatz88
11-14-2005, 06:24 PM
Yeah, it could be "depression".

Although I don't believe depression is a medical condition.
Things are how you make them.

Whenever you don't feel like eating,
Look at animalpak.com (http://www.animalpak.com)

phatmonky
11-15-2005, 05:58 AM
i think the only time i have loss of appetite is when i'm stressed.

Crap.

I just recently started upping my diet, and I am about to puke. I'm only at 3500 calories and might need to go higher.

I'm stressed for sure. I'm a premed student with stellar grades. This sounds like me :(

I've got to relax- maybe hit the gym even more to build the appetite? I dunno.

SkinnySadMan
11-16-2005, 07:17 PM
For me I have this feeling of "I'm sick of this food". Then I end up taking 40 minutes to finish a meal...I would just end up chewing it up endlessly, then when I'd try to swallow it I'd get a gag-reflex. It's hard for me to gain weight....not really, more of a psychological thing for me.

Ironminded
11-16-2005, 07:24 PM
One thing I have found that always makes me hungry is working in a pool. Whether it be actually swimming laps, or just messing around with friends, or running in place in the water this always makes me hungry.

A big part of the above I am sure is that water provides excellent resistence for cardio and burning cals. But even when I don't feel like I have worked all that hard in a pool, doing something in the water always makes me hungry.

On the flip side I am somewhat of a lard-a$$, and eating has never ever been a problem so ...

dw06wu
11-16-2005, 11:59 PM
I'll trade you my bitter hunger stings for some loss of appetite.

Davidelmo
11-17-2005, 03:03 AM
Lol, thanks for all the responses guys... I'm glad others have been through similar things.

Yeah, it could be "depression".

Although I don't believe depression is a medical condition.
Things are how you make them.

Whenever you don't feel like eating,
Look at animalpak.com

Well, whatever it was it's gone now.. I'm back on track! :D
Hadn't seen that site before either. thanks.

Crap.

I just recently started upping my diet, and I am about to puke. I'm only at 3500 calories and might need to go higher.

I'm stressed for sure. I'm a premed student with stellar grades. This sounds like me

I've got to relax- maybe hit the gym even more to build the appetite? I dunno.
LOL, exactly the same as me. I'm on 3500kcal and feel stuffed all day. AND i'm a med student.. freaky, lol

For me I have this feeling of "I'm sick of this food". Then I end up taking 40 minutes to finish a meal...I would just end up chewing it up endlessly, then when I'd try to swallow it I'd get a gag-reflex. It's hard for me to gain weight....not really, more of a psychological thing for me.
I think everyone has had that before... I take AGGGGGGGGEEEESSSSSS to finish a meal if I'm already stuffed. BUT I'll make sue I do finish it.

One thing I have found that always makes me hungry is working in a pool. Whether it be actually swimming laps, or just messing around with friends, or running in place in the water this always makes me hungry.

A big part of the above I am sure is that water provides excellent resistence for cardio and burning cals. But even when I don't feel like I have worked all that hard in a pool, doing something in the water always makes me hungry.

On the flip side I am somewhat of a lard-a$$, and eating has never ever been a problem so ...
Yeah the pool makes me STARVING too. It might be worth spending 15 mins in the gym pool after my workout. a) to cool down but b) if it helps me eat more when I get home.
I might try that and report back!

I'll trade you my bitter hunger stings for some loss of appetite.
Gladly :)