PDA

View Full Version : Indian Food and Fat Content

Rrolack
11-13-2005, 12:51 PM
In general, I've heard that Indian food is not particularly healthy from a fat content perspective. For example, this recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala (my favorite dish) has 400 calories and 29 grams of fat.

chicken.allrecipes.com/az/ChicknTikkMsl.asp

If fat has 9 calories per gram, that means 9*29 = 261 of the 400 calories are from fat. That seems like a lot, and I was wondering if most Indian foods are equally high in fat content.

Thanks in advance for any perspectives.

getfit
11-13-2005, 12:57 PM
well, are you eating indian food everyday? or was this just a treat?

Spartacus
11-13-2005, 02:38 PM
it can really vary, one thing to watch for is taht indian food tends to use a lot of butter (ghee), as well as what might be in the yoghurt, and both are mostly unhealthy saturates.

HILL
11-13-2005, 02:55 PM
i wouldnt say indian was healthy however like with any food it depends on what you eat. if im trying to be good ill get chiken tika peices which is just chicken pieces in a spice thers no sauce or anything and it comes on a sizzling plate. now that with some white rice isnt that bad even the nan breads on bread really. however i love a good onion bhaji and a curry so i use it as a treat

getfit
11-13-2005, 03:08 PM
indian food is very tasty, but i can't digest it for my life :(

V!C $!—gH
11-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Indian food can be very healthy, but it depends on where you eat it from. Im a British Indian so i eat it at home all the time. The food maybe be more fancy at a restaurant, but theres normally quite alot of fat in it. I normally get my mum to make me different chicken dishes such as chicken tikka, chicken legs etc but ask her to use less oil, fat etc.
The good thing is that there are a few tasty dishs that can be cooked in diffrent ways. For example two days ago i had boneless chicken breast cut into small pieces and ate that with rice filled with vegetables. Today i ate chicken legs steamed in a big pan with potatoes.
if you cook chicken, Cook it differently each time so you dont get bored, For example, roast, boil, steam etc.