PDA

View Full Version : Holy $#!%, I just met Gene Rychlak!

squat it all!
11-15-2005, 09:28 AM
I just had to share this with those of you who'd appreciate it:

On my way to NJ this past weekend to see some family, I stopped in York, PA at the Weightlifting Hall of Fame. Little did I know, but the IPA National Powerlifting Finals were being held. I walked into the lobby, and there are people sitting at tables selling T-shirts and other stuff. I noticed one of them is unusually large, sports a blond mohawk (sort of), and is wearing shades. I then realized, it's F-ing Gene Rychlak, just sitting there selling T-shirts like a normal guy.

"Please God, don't let me spill anything on this table." "Please don't let me say something stupid like: 'wow. you sure are big, aren't ya?'"

Thankfully, I just said "Mr. Rychlak? how ya doing? I'm a big fan. Congratulations on 'The Grand'." To which he responded "Thanks" with a smile. I shook his hand, and walked away.

I didn't ask for an autograph or anything. I don't know, I guess I was too nervous to think of it. Whatever, I shook the hand of the first and only man to bench a grand, so I'm happy.

Also in attendance (at least on Saturday, which featured the Amateur portion of the competition) were Paul Childress, Amy Weisenberger (sp?), and Chris Taylor (I think).

ThatSkinnyGuy
11-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Did his massive man-mitts crush your hand? Because, ya know, nobody would blame you.

squat it all!
11-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Did his massive man-mitts crush your hand? Because, ya know, nobody would blame you.

no, he actually had a normal handshake. although it was a bit like trying to grip a thanksgiving turkey with one hand. i'm sure he's learned not to crush people's hands. and if i told him he had a "gentle" handshake, i'm sure i'd be typing with my feet right now...

lilmase1153
11-15-2005, 01:18 PM
no, he actually had a normal handshake. although it was a bit like trying to grip a thanksgiving turkey with one hand. i'm sure he's learned not to crush people's hands. and if i told him he had a "gentle" handshake, i'm sure i'd be typing with my feet right now...
LMAO..

Great story, I dont tihnk I could have kept my compsure like you, I would have been like Wow your big OMG im shaking the hands of someone who benched a grand.. And than he would have ate me..

squat it all!
11-16-2005, 08:40 AM
trust me, i was one step away from that. it was extremely intimidating, especially cuz he has business cards that say "first man to bench 900. first and only man to bench 1000". it was hard to see just how big he was at first, cuz he was sitting slumped over with his elbows on his knees like he was tired. then later, he was walking around, and i swear small woodland creatures were walking over to him seeking shade...

RickTheDestroyer
11-16-2005, 09:49 AM
I'd have asked him how he's doing after the incident at the olympia- as far as whether or not he got injured at all or something like that. Still, that's really cool.

-TIM-
11-16-2005, 10:35 AM
Why are all these guys so fat?

Sensei
11-16-2005, 11:08 AM
Why are all these guys so fat?Big Gene isn't exactly cut, but he's not really fat. Scot Mendelson and Ryan Kennelly aren't fat at all. I saw Scot Mendelson at a meet once and when I was walking behind him in the warm-up area, literally, I felt like I was walking behind the Hulk - his upper body looked like the upper body of a 400lb football player who took off all of his padding and somehow stayed the same size.... IMHO, regardless of what you think about equipment or gear, these people are amazing.

MixmasterNash
11-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Big Gene isn't exactly cut, but he's not really fat. Scot Mendelson and Ryan Kennelly aren't fat at all. I saw Scot Mendelson at a meet once and when I was walking behind him in the warm-up area, literally, I felt like I was walking behind the Hulk - his upper body looked like the upper body of a 400lb football player who took off all of his padding and somehow stayed the same size.... IMHO, regardless of what you think about equipment or gear, these people are amazing.

I've always though we should add a bodyweight lift to a powerlifting comp. It wouldn't count, but it would be fun to see how many pullups the superheavies can do.

Isaac Wilkins
11-16-2005, 12:38 PM
Why are all these guys so fat?

Why are you so weak?

lilmase1153
11-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Why are you so weak?
BURN !!!!!!!

Guido
11-16-2005, 03:26 PM
Nice! It's too bad you didn't get any pictures with him. Would have been cool to see.

HelpMeLift
11-16-2005, 08:19 PM
anybody know where I could see a video clip of Gene putting up a grand?

squat it all!
11-18-2005, 07:34 AM
Big Gene isn't exactly cut, but he's not really fat.

yeah, exactly. i mean, he had a gut, but i was amazed at how muscular he was/is. you don't bench a grand with fat. most impressive was his back. like nothing i've ever seen before, and i've met gunter schlerkamp when he was in off-season condition at around 320-330. wasn't even close to big gene (around 385 f-ing pounds!)

Invain
11-18-2005, 05:34 PM
yeah, exactly. i mean, he had a gut, but i was amazed at how muscular he was/is. you don't bench a grand with fat. most impressive was his back. like nothing i've ever seen before, and i've met gunter schlerkamp when he was in off-season condition at around 320-330. wasn't even close to big gene (around 385 f-ing pounds!)

I'd hope he was muscluar.. His back was that much bigger than schlierkamp's though huh?

lilmase1153
11-19-2005, 02:16 AM
I'd hope he was muscluar.. His back was that much bigger than schlierkamp's though huh?
Yeah that would be impressive cause gunter is HUGE

squat it all!
11-21-2005, 01:03 PM

yep. gunter is huge, but gene is like from another planet.

squat it all!
11-21-2005, 01:32 PM

i sugguest you read Sensei's quote again if you are skeptical. he mentions mendy looks like a 400 lb. football player. well big gene IS almost 400 lbs. (385 according to PL USA), so it is not hard to see how much bigger he'd look than even giant gunter.

tigo
11-22-2005, 05:29 AM
anybody know where I could see a video clip of Gene putting up a grand?

Powerlifting vids (http://www.criticalbench.com/bench-press-world-record.htm)

there you go bud