PDA

View Full Version : "crashing" after workout?

bigsethmeister
11-15-2005, 10:07 AM
Lately I've been "crashing" at the end of my workouts. Feel jittery and weak and exhausted as though I hadn't eaten in quite some time.

I'm cutting on about 3000 cals a day.

I eat a large breakfast ( 1 C oatmeal, whey, milk, grapefruit, etc - approx 800 cals) at 6 am, drive to work and am lifting at 8:30 am. During the workout I sip my shake (1 scoop whey, 40grams dextrose in water). At about 11:00 I have a solid meal, usually whole wheat pasta w/ turkey and raw vegs.

This crashing never happened until recently and the only change I've made has been to slightly lower my overall daily cals and to increase my coffee consumption. Should I be concerned?

getfit
11-15-2005, 10:08 AM
how much coffee are you drinking?

HILL
11-15-2005, 10:09 AM
How do your cals break down? are you carb cycling/have you cut your carbs low?

bigsethmeister
11-15-2005, 10:40 AM
I admit I'm drinking a pretty good amount of coffee in the morning. 1 - 2 cups w/ breakfast and another large black coffee during the commute. :)

My cals generally break down to about 35% protein / 25% fat / 40% carbs. The carbs are primarily eaten in the meals preceding and following workout.

Here's a sample fitday entry: http://fitday.com/WebFit/CalendarTab.asp?Action=SetDay&NewYear=2005&NewMonth=10&NewDay=14&Tab=Foods

(Hopefully I got that link correct. Fitday doesn't make it obvious how to link to your entries.)

Ironminded
11-15-2005, 11:09 AM
It might be that the combination of coffee and working out is causing an insuline dump right after you workout and this is what is leading to the shakes, it kind of sounds like a low blood sugar thing to me. However you are getting some good long chain carbs from the oats so there should be energy there for you.

Other's here will probably have better suggestions but I would try to lower the coffee intake, or atleast space it out over the day rather then all in the morning. You might also try to add in some lower gi carbs right after you workout to get you through to your next meal, as by the time you get around to your lunch your body has probably gone through just about all the carbs it has had already.

waynis
11-15-2005, 02:20 PM
low blood sugar.. . Make sure you take in the most calories around your workout. Especially get some carbs pre and post workout.

Roddy
11-15-2005, 07:09 PM
Hmm i notice this sometimes too. i eat like a mother****er. but granted if i havent eaten within 2-3 hours before my workout i will get the shakes. Same with early morning workouts. This is why i feel i train best later in the evening.. around 8:00 or so. already have about 4-5 meals in me...and then i can have 1-2 more after.

Shao-LiN
11-15-2005, 07:26 PM
low blood sugar.. . Make sure you take in the most calories around your workout. Especially get some carbs pre and post workout.

And his post up there:

The carbs are primarily eaten in the meals preceding and following workout.