PDA

View Full Version : fast or slow acting

kingpin
01-02-2002, 07:04 PM
When do y'all normally take your protein drinks? I remember reading something about protein drinks being fast acting and therefore maybe not as beneficial to take right before going to sleep as a dairy product or something? Is there any truth to this, I'm going to the health store soon and am thinking of getting some protein powder along with creatine, any suggestions whats best considering taste and amount of protein?

syntekz
01-02-2002, 07:12 PM
You could always get a protein shake made of different types of protein. (whey, casein, etc.) Met-Rx makes some good multi-protein shakes, but they are expensive (especially at places like GNC).

kingpin
01-02-2002, 07:17 PM
I'm thinking of only taking the shake once a day prior to bed. How many grams should I be looking for?

syntekz
01-02-2002, 07:31 PM
Well, I think it'll depend on what else you are eating during the day. But maybe 30 - 40 grams.

01-02-2002, 09:05 PM
if its whey don't take it before bed.

Delphi
01-02-2002, 09:34 PM
Why's that?

syntekz
01-03-2002, 06:44 AM
It get's absorbed more quickly. You're sleeping so you are wanting a protein that get's absorbed/digested more slowly.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-03-2002, 10:42 AM
whey + no carbs = 70% [or something like that] of it being oxidised by the liver. Rather wasteful don't you think? this is due to the fast absorbtion rate.

I seriously would say save whey for post WO and maybe for a shake with brekkie in the morning, but for the latter, really only if you're eating a more complex protein too.

01-03-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by DelphiDoc
Why's that?

because its the fastest absorbing protein out there. There are much better choices before bed.

Jane
01-03-2002, 04:24 PM
or you could eat some cottage cheese before bed for something that is quick, easy, and has slow acting protein

01-03-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Jane
or you could eat some cottage cheese before bed for something that is quick, easy, and has slow acting protein

when looking for a carb/protein meal before bed, IMO cottage cheese is the best.

Delphi
01-03-2002, 05:38 PM
If you mix your whey with milk, is that enough to keep the whey from being metabolized so quickly by the liver? If not what can you add to the whey to make this better? Please don't say "Soy", Tryska said it's from the Devil.;)

Tryska
01-03-2002, 05:45 PM
well the whey is still gonna be metabolized rather quickly..however the casein in milk is slower to metabolize so you would get the benefits of both really.

and yes. tryska is always right. except when she's wrong. :nod:

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-04-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by DelphiDoc
If you mix your whey with milk, is that enough to keep the whey from being metabolized so quickly by the liver? If not what can you add to the whey to make this better?

carbs prevent it being metabolised by the liver, so milk prolly would work yes.

it won't stop the whey being digested quick though, although the casein in the milk will keep protein synthesis elevated for longer than whey.