PDA

View Full Version : is this a decent way to get 3000 cals?

thajeepster
11-15-2005, 07:46 PM
im bulking... heres my diet on workout days...

M1 : 1 scoop whey, 1 banana
M2 : PWO Shake : 1 cup skim, 3/4 cup oats, 1 banana, 1 scoop whey
M3 : 1 cup oats, 1 cup berries, 8 Egg Whites
M4 : 1/4 cup (pre cooking) Brown Rice, 1.5 cup veggies, 5-6 oz chicken breast, .5 tbsp oil, .5 tbsp pb
M5 : 1.5 scoops Milk/Casein/egg mix, 1.5 oz dry roasted almonds
M6 : 2 cup veggies or large salad, 5-6 oz chicken breast or lean beef or fish, 1 tbsp oil (olive/enova)
M7 : 300g cottage cheese (1%), 2 tbsp PB

6 fish oils throughout the day

Totals 3000 cals, 265g carbs, 295g protein, 95g fat ... this is for a 5-10 165lber going to 185 (eventually :D)

Off days i drop meals 1 and 2, have a larger bowl of oats at breakfast, and add in one more shake.

Thoughts?

thajeepster
11-15-2005, 07:47 PM
I used to eat alot more with less fat, but i was constantly bloated and full... the addition of more fats is making it much easier for me to get my cals in.

Behemoth
11-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Assuming that is enough calories to make you grow at the rate you want to the food looks fine.

thajeepster
11-15-2005, 08:18 PM
Thanks, im pretty sure it is, i managed to get up to 165 from 145 on about 3000 cals a day. I may up it to 32-3300 soon by adding in a little more carbs to lunch and maybe waking up a little earlier and having a larger pre wo.

ReelBigFish
11-15-2005, 10:00 PM
too much protein and not enough carbs.

How's the "real" world treating ya by the way? job going good and what not?

Bob
11-15-2005, 10:04 PM
:withstupi
Plus more healthy fats... Olive Oil, etc...
Ask Built... she is an expert on that good fats...

AzBboy
11-16-2005, 12:23 AM
Remember, the muscles cannot process fructose, only the liver can, so your breakfast is lagging hard. Add some complex carbs to meal 1, unless you wanna run off of protein and risk becoming catabolic.

smalls
11-16-2005, 01:16 AM
Can you verify that. Everything i've seen shows that fructose is preferentially stored by the liver because it doesnt need insulin to be taken up. But I beleive it can still be stored and utilized my muscle tissue as well.

If you gained 20lbs on 3000 I would increase it a bit right now and then go from there. It looks fine so far, dont sweat the small stuff just eat more than you burn.

thajeepster
11-16-2005, 04:16 AM
too much protein and not enough carbs.

How's the "real" world treating ya by the way? job going good and what not?

well you notice im working out first thing in the morn now :D... yeah its going pretty good. I start college here in a couple of months. I ll probably be one of the oldest guys on campus.

thajeepster
11-16-2005, 04:17 AM
:withstupi
Plus more healthy fats... Olive Oil, etc...
Ask Built... she is an expert on that good fats...

i thought i had tons of healthy fats... ??? 95g worth. thats like 28% of a 3000 cal diet.

thajeepster
11-16-2005, 04:18 AM
Remember, the muscles cannot process fructose, only the liver can, so your breakfast is lagging hard. Add some complex carbs to meal 1, unless you wanna run off of protein and risk becoming catabolic.

how does 2 slices ezekiel bread and 2 eggs sound? The problem is i workout very soon after i wake up. And if i wake up even sooner thats just gonna cut into my sleep time.

ReelBigFish
11-16-2005, 08:35 AM
how does 2 slices ezekiel bread and 2 eggs sound? The problem is i workout very soon after i wake up. And if i wake up even sooner thats just gonna cut into my sleep time.

how bout just adding 1/2 c. oats to your whey and banana in the morning and make it a shake?

Glad to hear things are going well. I'm just wroking full time right now and don't have a clue if i'm going to go to college, not sure what I want to do.

Slim Schaedle
11-16-2005, 11:00 AM
Techinally, your muscles don't process fructose, glucose, or any sugar or complex carb. It is the liver that does it.

Fructose can be "processed" in two ways.

First, being converted to Fructose 6-phospate, and then to glucose 6-phophate, then eventually being converted to glyocogen through glycogenesis OR , through glycolysis, be converted to fructose 1,6 biphosphate and eventually be converted to pyruvate or lactate

Second, fructose can be directly converted to fructose 6-phosphate and eventually be converted to pyruvate and enter the Krebs cycle. (or converted to lactate in anaerobic conditions)

Note: The second method is slow and only occurs in presence of large amounts of fructose, which can actually deplete ATP and reduce the rate of other biosynthetic processes such as protein synthesis (and that's bad)

To sum it up, there is no circulation of fructose in the bloodstream.

(there's alot more to this stuff but I figure you guys can chew on that for now)

Further note: due to the naure of the breakfast in question, it would be my guess that the aminio acids from the whey would be converted to glucose or glycogen before the fructose in the banana, due the the relatively slow absorption time of fructose. I'd have to look it up though.

thajeepster
11-16-2005, 02:44 PM
Further note: due to the naure of the breakfast in question, it would be my guess that the aminio acids from the whey would be converted to glucose or glycogen before the fructose in the banana, due the the relatively slow absorption time of fructose. I'd have to look it up though.

does that mean its decent or not?

pruneman
11-16-2005, 03:43 PM

You could do better. Half of a bagle is about equal in calories to a banana (maybe a little more) but it would be a better choice. Stick with simple carbs. In general, the sugar in fruit is mostly fructose (or at least a considerable amount of it is...depending on the fruit), which cannot be immediately used by your muscles. My vote is for some dextrose or a bagle.

Slim Schaedle
11-16-2005, 03:55 PM
Well, if you don't want your amino acids being used for something other than protein synthesis/building muscle, then no, it's not that great.

I'd go with something complex.

From the looks of your diet and carbohydrate timing/food choices, your liver glycogen stores are going to be relatively delpleted upon waking. I do not like that at all, especially for bulking. So like pruneman said, dextrose woulkd help to fill up epmty stores as quickly as possible.

Personally, I'd drop all the fruit and add ALOT more complex carbs throughout the day, and before bed.