PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of El Griego

hulkinout
11-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Ok...going out on a limb here. I've been into bodybuilding since I was a little, little kid, like 3-4. I grew up really skinny and unathletic, until I started lifting weights at 22, when I weighed 135 @ 6'1. Total ecto. After lots of trial and error, I'm now 220, and trying to figure out what to do next.

I've posted some pics showing my progress up until this fall. The most recent pic, the most muscular was at 195 (I lost a lot of weight because of the summer and stress over my mom's health condition). I guess I should take a bunch of new ones to show you where I am now.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=69246

...*twiddling thumbs*...

I guess that's it for now...

*deep bow*

hulkinout
11-18-2005, 10:26 AM
I don't have a lot of old pics of me on my computer where you can really see how skinny I was, but I did find this one:

Me at 15 (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/nyhulkster/3de79bce.jpg)

Teufelhund
11-18-2005, 10:30 AM
sweet mother of god you were skeletal!

Welcome to Journal Land man! Looking forward to bugging the crap outta you in here... ;)

hulkinout
11-18-2005, 10:42 AM
In high school, someone wanted to start a campaign: "USA for Greg"

Teufelhund
11-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Lol - Greg-AID. Feed the starving Greg!

HILL
11-18-2005, 10:43 AM
good work. and it depends on you were to go next. i think if you did a good cut you would look wicked however your bf looks in a good range to do a long slow bulk

hulkinout
11-18-2005, 11:58 AM
I prefer the idea of a slow bulk especially since it's easier for me to eat now. I usually dont have a problem losing weight when I have to. Bulking's less natural for me,so Id like to see how far I can go.

As long as I can still bend down to tie my shoes...

lilmase1153
11-18-2005, 01:09 PM
I remember your pics, You have awesome pec genetics.... And damn boy did you eat when you were young? It seems as if you would walk your legs would snap..

hulkinout
11-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Such is life when you have the metabolism of a hummingbird.

Teufelhund
11-18-2005, 01:54 PM
a hummingbird? really?

you couldn't say you have the metabolism of a vintage mustang muscle car or something? :p

ectx
11-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Is that a purse you were wearing in the skinny picture :p
...quite the size difference el griego.

Teufelhund
11-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Where's all the workouts, anyway... Its been 12 posts now and not one single squat has been noted. WTF?

rookiebldr
11-18-2005, 02:17 PM
You better be a squating! Time to put some meat on those legs too!

Welcome to Journal land Greg. Looking forward to whipping your ass until you get too huge... which will be like NEVER!

hulkinout
11-19-2005, 11:26 AM
I'm following a variation on Steve Holman's x-rep training (Ironman magazine), which basically involved partials at the pre-stretch point following failure. As far as strength is concerned, it seems to help (my leverages have always sucked because I got a really long, narrow bone structure), and it does seem to engorge the muscle bellies really well. Since I started doing these a couple months ago, I've noticed much better fullness in problems areas, such as my delts and tris.

Right now I'm doing upper body muscle groups twice a week, legs once a week. Seems to work well for me at least for now. Overtraining upper body doesn't seem to be an issue, and legs like the once-a-week hit.

Workout A: Delts, Lats, Bis
Workout B: Chest, Midback/Traps, Tris
Workout C: Quads, Hams, Calves, Lower Back

Smith Military Press 105, 145 (warmup) 180x9 180x8+6x
Wide Grip Upright Row 90x12+8x (too light) Ive had to take this one easy because of some pain in my brachialis over the last few weeks.
Lateral Raise 30x12+8x

Shoulder-Width Parallel Pulldown 90, 110 (warmup) 145x10 150x8+5x
Wide Grip Parallel Pulldown 120x10+6x
Stiff Arm Pulldown 55x10

Bicep Curl 80 (warmup), 110x9, 115x9+5x
Preacher Curl 55x8 (think I overstretched)
One-arm concentration curl 35x12+8x
Incline Dumbbell Hammer 25x12+6x

Canadian Crippler
11-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Why more volume for biceps than lats?

hulkinout
11-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Good question. I break back into two workouts: midback and lats (always have... Steve Holman and Ian King always advocated that, so I've just always done it).

I guess I don't think of the incline hammers as a bicep exercise, more of a forearm move. Other than that, I don't really have a good reason, I'll admit.

hulkinout
11-19-2005, 11:50 PM
Shoulders were extremely tight today, and didn't wanna bench heavy. I'm intentionally putting delts the day before chest since they need more attention (my pecs right now overwhelm the rest of my build), but usually I don't notice overt problems benching as I did today. Gonna chalk it off as an aberration; if it continues, perhaps I'll add an extra day bewteen delts and chest, or simply go for higher reps/lighter weights since I really want to emphasize delt strength/size now. That sound right?

Bench 95, 135, 155 (warmup), 245 (6+6x), 225 (8+6x)
Dumbbell Incline Bench 60x12+8x

Hammer Row 110, 150 (warmup), 180x8, 190x9+5x
Standing Cable Rear Lateral 30x12+6x
Upright Cable Row 140x11+6x
Shrug 245x12+6x

Narrow Grip Decline Smith Bench 145 (warmup), 210x9, 215x9+6x
Hammer Dip 160x10+6x
Pushdown (dropset) 160/140 10/6+5x

Coke
11-20-2005, 05:01 AM
Unreal man, really packed on a lot of weight in a reasonable period of time - thats just less than 100lbs added.

Very interesting split that you've adopted, so far so good Greg...all sets are looking ace the past couple of efforts.

hulkinout
11-20-2005, 11:08 AM
Thanks Cocoa, what are your stats currently? I really liked your photos. Beautiful lines.

I like the Holman routine for a change cause it's low volume but high intensity, so I can get it done within 45 minutes-an hour. His take is doing these x-rep partials following failure means you can get away with less sets, and it's really worked as far as lower body strength especially, since I've maxed out the leg extension and leg curl machines at my gym (which was something I never thought I was capable of). I change up routines every couple months, so I'll go back to a higher volume routine when I get bored with this.

I wish the weights were more impressive, but maybe that's something I can work on during a more power-oriented phase. Or maybe I'll just have to wait till I'm 240. ;-)

I do have something to ask though: I've been having pain in my brachialis lately when I try to get the dumbbells from my knees to my shoulders for press or benches. Any reason that you can think of, and anything I could do besides stretching them? I know I'm stronger than the weights I'm currently doing, which is really annoying, I just can't maneuver the weights into the starting position.

rookiebldr
11-20-2005, 08:02 PM
You're not having the same problem when you bicep exercises?

hulkinout
11-20-2005, 11:21 PM
Depends on the bar. If I take a wide grip on an EZ or straight bar no.

hulkinout
11-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Ok, got a little behind.

Legs were on Sunday.

Squats 95, 155, 215 (warmup), 255x9 (didn't feel quite right, lower back was out of whack), 265x8 (felt more solid, but lower back was not good at all)
Leg Press (extra-wide stance) 360x12, 450x12
Leg Adduction 170x10
Leg Extension 165x12

I started to do my warmups on SLDL's but my back wouldnt have it. I got a set of 75 and I knew I'd better listen to my body, so just went onto leg curls)
Hammer Leg Curls 100x10, 110x8

I was wiped. My lower back was screaming and I decided, let's call it a day. Disappointed, but I'll know better for next time. Live and learn.

Coke
11-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Thanks a mil for those props concerning my pics!! - be patient, one day I'll post stats and more pics - ;)

The lower back will indeed get a little out of whack at times when doing deep squats, lol - fine numbers though bro.

Teufelhund
11-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Thanks Cocoa, what are your stats currently? I really liked your photos. Beautiful lines.

I like the Holman routine for a change cause it's low volume but high intensity, so I can get it done within 45 minutes-an hour. His take is doing these x-rep partials following failure means you can get away with less sets, and it's really worked as far as lower body strength especially, since I've maxed out the leg extension and leg curl machines at my gym (which was something I never thought I was capable of). I change up routines every couple months, so I'll go back to a higher volume routine when I get bored with this.

I wish the weights were more impressive, but maybe that's something I can work on during a more power-oriented phase. Or maybe I'll just have to wait till I'm 240. ;-)

I do have something to ask though: I've been having pain in my brachialis lately when I try to get the dumbbells from my knees to my shoulders for press or benches. Any reason that you can think of, and anything I could do besides stretching them? I know I'm stronger than the weights I'm currently doing, which is really annoying, I just can't maneuver the weights into the starting position.

I have to warm up with wrist curls any time I do work involving my forearms (curls, pullups, rows, etc) or I get really bad pain in my elbow area that lasts for weeks.

rookiebldr
11-23-2005, 12:20 PM
hmmmm, I figured your forearms were always warmed up, teufy. ;)

Teufelhund
11-23-2005, 12:22 PM
;) sometimes they need to be extra warm. you know, for when I'm pulling on the BIG weight.

hulkinout
12-25-2005, 06:09 PM
Well it's been over a month since I posted a goddamn thing...nothing like consistency.

I'm in Santa Monica/Venice for the holidays with my sister and her 8 month old twins. Got me a week's pass to Gold's Venice. Had some good sightings: Ofer Samra, David Paul (half of the Barbarian brothers), and Grant Henderson.

I'm hoping to take some photos while I'm here; they should be up soon. I'm up around 230 right now for my winter bulk. Trying to get in my regular meals along with 3-4 gainer shakes.

Merry Christmas everyone.

rookiebldr
12-25-2005, 09:17 PM
I hope you're having some fun out there.

hulkinout
01-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Wow, I THOUGHT I had started one of these journal things, but I couldn't remember.

Well, it's been OVER a year since I posted anything, so I guess there's no time like the present.

Currently, on a routine I got (again) from Steve Holman of Ironman. I have to admit, I like his stuff, it works for me (with slight modifications here and there, but nothing major), as does Ian King's stuff.

This one's a variation on the x-rep stuff he's been touting the past couple years: do a set to failure, then once you can't get any full reps, do partials (or in some cases, exaggerated pulses) in the semi-stretched position to failure (for example, the bottom of a fly or the top of a pulldown) followed by a static hold in the semi-stretched position. It certainly keeps the sets going: they frequently last 40-50 seconds.

The semi-stretch work has done great things for my strength; I guess it's basically stretching the tendons and ligaments to prepare them for heavier loads (?). Plus, I don't seem to get as sore a couple days later, although I'm plenty sore right after the set finishes.

Arms continue to be problematic, but triceps have come up well, thanks to narrow pushdowns with my elbows splayed out (more of a mid-range move, kind of a cable substitution for narrow decline benches) and pushdowns using a lat pulldown bar (does anyone else do these variations?). I was just bored one day, watching one of the pro builders doing tris, and he was using the wide pulldown bar rather than the little ez or the V, so I figured, why not. I was surprised at how much more I feel the tris. I get the cable as close to me as possible, keeping elbows back behind my torso. Didn't take me long to run the entire stack, and I got some nice new bumps in my sleeves. :-)

Had a couple bad bouts with tendonitis in my right forearm that set my lat and bicep work back though. If nothing else, I'm hoping it helped my weaker left arm catch up. Biceps are still nothing to write home about, although they're bigger in circumference. On the plus side, delts and traps have done really well, and pecs are still disproportionately big.

Well, that took up a lot of room... I'll write more tomorrow. Let's see how long I stick with the journal this time.

ectx
01-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Blah blah blah...all I see is curl jockey curl jockey curl jockey. :D

glad to see you back in here mang. I look forward to spamming this thing...err I mean providing encouragement and constructive criticism! ;)

TwiloMike
01-19-2007, 12:59 PM
I don't have a lot of old pics of me on my computer where you can really see how skinny I was, but I did find this one:

Me at 15 (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/nyhulkster/3de79bce.jpg)

OMG.... you must be the one they told me about: the only boy skinnier than I was. :(

Way to turn it around! :thumbup:

hulkinout
01-19-2007, 01:34 PM
OMG.... you must be the one they told me about: the only boy skinnier than I was. :(

Way to turn it around! :thumbup:

I was the POSTERBOY for skinny boys.

"Don't let this happen to your child."

ECTX: those sound like fightin' words...put em up...PUT EM UP!!! :indian:

TwiloMike
01-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Hah! When I was a kid my parents' friends would see me and ask "Is your stomach glued to your back?" No fun, especially when I was really little and seriously considered the possibility. :cry:

hulkinout
01-22-2007, 12:06 PM
So where was I? Oh, x-reps... Yeah, I'm enjoying them.

The current routine I'm on is a series of three rotating rep-schemes using basically the same exercises, each one used for a week:

Week 1 is 4-6 reps (6-8 for higher rep muscle groups).
Week 2 is 7-9 reps for midrange exercises, 10-12 reps for stretch-position exercises (overhead extensions, pullovers, incline db curls, flys, etc.), 13-15 reps for contraction-position exercises (pushdowns, concentration curls, rear delt flys, leg extension, leg curl, etc.)
Week 3, known as shock week, is 8-10 reps but with heavy use of supersets, dropsets and intensity-techniques.

I'm on my third go-round of this system, and the gains have been considerable. I like the fact that every week is something new, even though the exercises are basically the same (although I have substituted some exercises that I found more effective as the weeks have gone on).

Regardless of which week you're using, the final set of each exercise ends with x-reps (pulses in the semi-stretched position after you've exhausted full ROM), followed by a static hold in the semi-stretched position. This should push those sets easily into the optimal 37-40 second time range. This little bit of extra at the end has really helped with strength levels.

This weekend was delts and arms:

Smith Wide Grip Rack Pull: 140*9, 155*9 + 8 x-reps + 6 second static hold
Dumbbell Upright Row: 55*7 + 6x + 5sec
Medium-Grip Cable Upright Row: 180*10 + 8x+ 8sec
1-Arm Incline DB Raise: 40*12, 45*10+ 8x + 6sec
Lateral DB Raise: 40*12, 40*12 + 6x + 5sec
Hammer Rear Press: 200*9, 200*7 + 3x + 5sec
Machine Rear Fly: 110*12, 110*11 + 6x + 3sec

I prefer upright rows for hitting medial delts as opposed to pressing, which hit more front delt, which I feel get plenty of emphasis during chest day.

Hammer Dip: 180*9, 180*9 + 0x + 6sec
Wide-Elbow Pushdown: 190*10 + 6x + 12sec (machine only goes up to 200..yay!)
Overhead Extension: 80*12, 90*11 + 0x + 3sec
Wide Grip Pushdown (kneeling): 110*15, 120*15 + 10x + 12sec 9too (too light)

Preacher Curl: 75*9, 80*9 + 5x + 6sec (minor twinge in right forearm left over from bad tendonitis, so going light-ish)
Cable Curl: 100*9 + 8x + 10sec
Incline DB Curl: 15*12 (too easy), 20*12+ 0x + 6sec (right forearm still off some)
Spider Curl: 15*15, 20*15 + 6x + 8sec
Cable Hammer Curl: 70*12 + 8x+ 8sec

Again, I'm soft pedaling biceps until I have no more forearm issues. I'm keeping my wrists slightly bent back so the forearms don't come into play as much, but I'm not going heavy at this point.

Had an awesome pump afterward, especially in the delts. Crazy veins and everything. Good workout.

hulkinout
01-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Last night was quads and calves using the higher rep schemes. Didn't do NoXplode beforehand since I ate too close to the workout (I don't like taking it unless I have like 90 minutes after a meal, otherwise it messes with my stomach), so just took some vegetable glycerine and a caffeine tab.

My hams and knees are too tight these days. I talked with one of my friends who competes; he said I should do a good 10 minutes of static stretching expecially on leg day, particularly to loosen up the hams and hips. I told him I'd read a couple articles that discouraged stretching before heavy workouts, but he said he remembers when I was stretching religiously and making real good progress, getting my quads close to 27", about a half-inch more than I got today. Did I have knee or back problems then? No...

Looking back, when I did stretch beforehand, my hips, knees and lower back weren't hindering me, and I was handling considerably more weight with wider ROM. So, stretches go back in.

Leg Press 360*10 (warmup), 540*8 (warmup), 680*9, 730*9 + 6x + 4sec
Squat 225*9 (lower back acted up, so went extra-light on 2nd set just to be safe), 135*10 (hams were so tight I barely broke parallel)
Sissy Squat BW*12, Bw*12+ 4x + 8sec
Leg Extension 180*15, 195*15+ 8x + 6sec
Leg Press Calf Raise 360 (warmup), 540 (warmup), 630*12, 630*12 + 4sec
Donkey Calf Raise 380*15, 400*13 + 6x + 4sec
Standing Calf Raise 480*18, 480*17 + 6sec
Sitting Calf Raise 135*15, 135*15 + 8x + 8sec

To ramp up flexibility, I'll try stretching legs and lower back every night. I hope I start seeing some improvement soon.

hulkinout
01-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Off yesterday, doing back tonight, but I'll stretch legs and hams in my stretch routine pre-workout to start making inroads. Lower back's way tight last night and today.

hulkinout
01-25-2007, 08:50 AM
Back and forearms night. I sometimes split back into separate lats and midback days. Traps can go with either midback or on delt day, as can rear delt work. For now though, everything except rear delt work is on back day.

Stretched my legs and posterior chain as I promised I would to loosen up those areas for ham night coming up, as well as upper back stretches. Also did some 10-15 second static upper back stretches between sets. When I'm at work, I'll try and stretch some if I have a few minutes here and there.

LATS
Wide Parallel Pulldown 100 (warmup), 140 (warmup), 180*9, 190*9, 190*7 + 8x + 8sec
Narrow Parallel Pulldown 180*9, 190*9 + 6x + 6sec
Cable Pullover 130*12, 140*8 + 6sec (difficult)
Undergrip Pulldown 130*15, 130*13 + 10x + 10sec

MIDBACK
Wide Parallel Grip Pulldown 150*9 + 7x + 8sec
Hammer Row 110, 160 (warmup) 210*9, 210*10 + 8x + 8sec
T Bar Row 90*9 + 8x + 8sec (hadn't done these in awhile, wanted to see if I could feel these better than the hammer row...which I can)
1-Arm DB Row 65*12 + 6x
Bent-Over Bent-Arm DB Row 40*15, 40*15+6x

TRAPS
Hammer Shrug (standing) 365*13, 365*15, 365*15 + 6x + 6sec

Did these standing since sitting aggravated my lower back last time.

FOREARMS
Reverse EZ Bar Wrist Curl 40*12, 40*10 + 8sec, Standing: 40*10 + 6x + 8sec
Behind the Back Wrist Curl 80*16 (had to cut this short as it was getting late)

All in all, back felt solid. Was in the groove on lats, midback a little less so. I might go back to t-bar rows during the next go-round since I got excited about doing them again.

Stumprrp
01-25-2007, 09:01 AM
wow alot of stuff man, you must be wreaked nice job

booyah
01-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Hi, just wanted to complement you on your progress. how far you've come is amazing.

hulkinout
01-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Stumprrp: Thanks man, you look great yourself.

booyah: Thanks man, that was real nice of you. I can sympathize with the being skinny; I was skinnier than you when I started. The hardest part is training yourself to eat when you're not hungry. It takes time, so don't expect instant results, but you'll find it gets easier as you get used to it. If in doubt, cut back on your exercises, don't overdo it. Believe me, if I wasn't eating heavy, that workout last night would be cut in half, no question. Let me know if you wanna discuss some strategies for you sometime.

hulkinout
01-26-2007, 08:19 AM
Kinda frustrating yesterday, but I have to be patient with the flexibility in my hams and lower back; this will take a few weeks to address.

I stretched a good 10-15 minutes before doing hams, and decided to go extra light, and the first set was okay. Just took it slow, squeezed the hams, kept the bar almost against my shins; everything felt okay, but the second set, my lower back said "uh-uh, you THINK you're gonna bend me." On a whim, I just grabbed a couple of light dumbbells, and did a set. Not great, but better. I decided to stop the SLDL's there, and see if hyperextensions were any better. They also were merely okay, much better toward the bottom of the movement, so I tried to do just the bottom 2/3 just to give my hams something. Very slow, lots of tension. Finished with leg curls which were fine. Maybe next week I'll just skip everything but the leg curls just to give my spine a break.

HAMS:
SLDL: bar, 85 (warmup), 115*9, 115*8
SLDL (dumbbells): 30*8
Hyperextension: BW*10, 10
Sitting Leg Curl: 180*15, 195*15 + 6x + 6sec

PECS:
Incline Smith: 135, 165 (warmup), 205*9, 215*9, 225*8 + 6x
Incline Fly: 40*12 + 6x + 6sec
Low Cable Crossover: 30*15
Hammer Wide Grip Bench: 180*9, 200*9 + 8x + 8sec
Hammer Dip: 210*9 + 4x + 3sec
Fly Machine: 190*12 + 10x + 8sec
High Cable Crossover: 40*15 + 8x + 5sec

Lower back had cleared up by the time I got the chest, although the cable crossovers made it twinge some, so I knelt between the cables instead of standing...much better.

Two days off coming up. Like I said, I think I'll cut all SLDL/hyperextension work this week, just do leg curls and maybe some leg presses with my feet high on the platform. That should please those hammies.

hulkinout
01-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Shock week started Sunday night. Delts and arms.

Basically, the rules of shock week are "do what you didn't do last time."

So, after a couple weeks of straight sets on power and rep-range week, shock week brings into play stuff like supersets, dropsets, overload X-reps (x-rep after each full rep, sort of like 1-1/4's),and DC (doggcrap) style training, where you take only 15-20 seconds between sets: sort of a variation on rest/pause.

DELTS
Smith Wide Upright Row 85, 115 (warmup), 165*8/6/4 + 6x + 6 sec
Cable Upright Row 190/150/120*10/7/7 + 12x
Sitting Lateral Raises 45/35/25*8/7/4 + 8sec
Leaning 1-arm Lateral raise 25*10 (full rep followed by x-rep) + 7x + 6sec
Hammer Press/DB Press (superset) 180*10/6/4 + 30*12 + 6x
Rear Delt Fly 120*12 + 10x

TRIS
Hammer Dip 90, 140 (warmup), 180*8/7/4 + 3x
Wide Elbow V-Bar Pushdown 190/150/120*9/7/7 + 6sec
Overhead Cable Extension (1-arm) 50/40*7/6

BIS
Hammer Preacher 50, 65 (warmup), 80*9/7/5 + 6x + 6sec
Reverse Incline DB Spider Curl/Incline DB Curl (superset) 20*12 + 8x + 8 sec, 20*10 (full rep followed by x-rep)
Incline CB Hammer Curl 25/15/10*12/8/7 + 3x

ectx
01-29-2007, 10:33 AM
what's the rationale behind doing bb and then db sldls? I know the usual rationale for db exercises but for some reason my brain doesn't want to apply it to glutes, hams, and posterior chain, lol.

hulkinout
01-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Slightly easier on your lower back since the dumbbells are slightly off to your side, so the line of pull is different. Since my lower back's been off the past week, I figured it was worth trying.

hulkinout
01-30-2007, 09:29 AM
Decided to take last night off and give my lower back an extra night of rest. Legs tonight. I'm going to leave squats out. Just means I can go heavier on leg presses.

hulkinout
01-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Shock day for quads. No squats for a change. Dogcrapp-style on midranges.

Leg Press 360, 540 (warmup), 720*9/5/4 + 4x
Leg Extension/Leg Press (superset) 195*15, 540*8
Leg Extension (drop) 225/180/135 * 12/9/7 + 5x + 6 sec
Sissy Squat BW*12 + 8x + 6 sec

Leg Press Calf 360 (warmup), 590*17/10 + 5x
Standing Calf 495/405/315*19/12/8 + 8 sec
Donkey Calf (full rep, x-rep alternating) 360*10
Sitting Calf 142*12/10/8 + 6x + 10 sec

Threw in one set of extra-light, extra-slow leg curls to stretch them out:

Sitting Leg Curl 150*18

The extra-long sets wiped me. I forgot to have caffeine pre-workout, unusual for me. The adrenaline spike was missing, so I was ready to pack it in at the end, unlike how I usually feel.

TwiloMike
01-31-2007, 08:16 AM
Whoa, strong legs! Nice work.

hulkinout
01-31-2007, 05:49 PM
Thanks Twilo... not my max, but I'm coasting a little till my lower back's 100%.

hulkinout
02-01-2007, 08:20 AM
Got back tonight. Let me just say that I feel stupid for not taking advantage of stuff like aspir-cream for my back earlier. What a difference!

I hear we might be getting a big snow this weekend. Better get out the muckluck training sneakers. :-)

hulkinout
02-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Last night was shock night for back and forearms. I decided to shake things up a little by doing midback prior to lats...heresy, I know, but I've been starting with lats for so long...

Still trying to figure out why my lower back's still not great on deadlifts. I tried some ridiculously light rack deads from the outset, but my back didn't like them last night. Oh well, maybe next time. Someone told me I should try flexing my abs tight at the start, and keep them flexed throughout the move.
I'll try that tip.

Did a mix of supersets and DC-style last night. I felt like just doing some different exercises for a change, like the high pull hammer rows which I rarely do, and the reverse shrugs on the pulldown, which always give me a nice soreness right in the belly of the lat.

Rack deadlift 95, 135 (warmup) back twinging so decided to move on
High hammer row/T-bar superset 110, 140 (warmup), 190*12/80*12 + 8x + 8sec
High hammer row DC 210*8/7/4 + 8x + 10 sec
Narrow grip cable row 140*15 + 8x + 6sec
" " "/Reverse incline DB raise superset 150*12/30*15 + 6x + 4 sec

Shoulder-width Parallel Grip PD 100, 130 (warmup), 160*10/7/4
Straight Arm Reverse Shrug on PD 200*15 + 12x + 6 sec
" " "/Undergrip PD superset 220*12/100*15 + 8x + 6 sec
Narrow Parallel PD/Rope Pullover superset 140*12/ 100/80/60 *8/7/6 + 4 sec

Shrug on calf raise (feet on floor) DC 495*25/17/13 + 6x (need to add plates)
Lat raises above shoulder height 15*10/8/8

Reverse Wrist Curl 40/30/20*15/12/11 + 10 sec hold

ectx
02-02-2007, 12:16 PM
SWEEET. Another back jockey!

*sigh* I miss doing more than one thing for back

hulkinout
02-02-2007, 02:23 PM
I really prefer doing back as two entities: lats and midback; this way midback doesn't get short shrift since it almost always follows lats, but I think I'm doing fine on width for now (I posted some shots last night on the pics thread), so I'd like to concentrate more on thickness for a while.

I hope my lower back comes back to its senses soon so I can start deadlifting again.

Stumprrp
02-02-2007, 03:26 PM
nice lifting hulk

hulkinout
02-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Thanks Stumprrp. Took tonight off to see Letters from Iwo Jima. Tomorrow is pecs and hams.

hulkinout
02-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Hams and pecs: shock week. Dogcrapp (DC), dropsets, and supersets. Odd combo to some, but since I like doing legs as two entities, and my chest doesn't need a ton of work to keep it growing, that's how this day ended up being what it is.

Lower back issues continue, so I decided to just build this day on leg curl variations. My trainer friend Leo does dumbbell leg curls on a bench, but he's only 5'4 and has little feet. I couldn't get the ****er to stay between my feet comfortably. Maybe next time time...

I'm thinking of putting hams back with quads now if I can't do anything more than leg curls, and maybe putting calves and abs on chest day. See how that goes.

Someone was on the Smith when I started pecs, so I started with flat work instead of inclines or a change, and put the incline up an extra notch from what I usually do when I finally got to them. It IS shock week, after all. Finally, I did a DB pullover on the incline bench, which always seems to give me a good pec stretch.

HAMS
Sitting Leg Curl: 135, 195 (warmup), 255*10/7/4 + 8x + 10 sec
" " "(supersetted with DB leg curl) 255*10, 30*10 (db kept slipping)

PECS
Hammer Wide Bench 140, 190 (warmup), 240*12/7/6 + 6x + 4 sec
" " "(supersetted with Hammer Dip) 260*10, 150*12 + 8x + 3 sec
Pec Deck Fly 200/160/120*12/9/6 +6x + 6 sec

Smith Incline Press (higher than normal) 135 (warmup), 175*12/7/4 + 4x + 3sec
DB Incline Fly (bench set lower on each DC interval) 45*12/8/5 + 3x + 4 sec
DB Incline Pullover 35*15+ 10sec, 45*12 + 10sec

hulkinout
02-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Back to Power week, i.e., low reps. Delts and arms tonight. Forearms were out of it, so my 2nd bicep move, I did drag curls for a change.

Wide Grip Upright Row 85, 135 (warmup), 165*6, 170*6 + 8x + 8sec
Medium Grip Cable UR 200*9 + 12x + 6 sec
Incline DB Lat Raise 45*6, 45*7 + 5x + 3 sec
Fwd Lean DB Lat Raise 45*7, 50*6 + 5 sec
Hammer Press 210*8, 230*5 + 3 sec
Rear Delt Machine Fly 150*5, 150*7 + 4 sec

Hammer Dip 110, 180 (warmup), 230*6, 230*5 + 4x + 5 sec
Elbows Flared Pushdown 190*12 + 3 sec
Overhead Extension 90*9, 100*8 + 3 sec
Regular V-bar Pushdown 120*7, 120*8 + 4 sec

Preacher 50, 75 (warmup), 95*6, 95*5
Drag curl 120*12
Incline Hammer 35*6 + 4x + 6 sec
Reverse Incline DB Curl 35*6 + 4x + 5 sec

hulkinout
02-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Leg night. Since I can't effectively do lower back/ham work beyond leg curls at the moment, I've decided to put hams back together with quads, and move calves to chest day.

I tried squatting with just the bar as a warm-up. It's not happening right now. *sigh*

Leg Press 270, 450, 630 (warmup) 770*8, 820*8, 870*6 + 6 sec
Sissy Hack Squat 90*8, 90*8 + 5 sec
Leg Extension 270*9, 270*8, 270*8 + 8x + 8 sec
Leg Curl 240*8, 255*8, 270*6 + 8x + 15 sec (stretch felt good)
Leg Adductor 150*12
Leg Abductor 180*8

hulkinout
02-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Back jockey night. I forgot how much I liked doing bent bb rows, I just threw some light ones in just on a whim, and surprisingly, they didn't bother my back. I started with supported t-bar rows just as a precaution.

Supported T-Bar Rows 45, 80 (warmup), 105*8, 115*8 + 8x + 6 sec
High Hammer Row 230*6, 180*12 + 6x + 8 sec
Bent BB Row (havent done these in ages) 95*15, 115*12, 135*9
Rope Row to Neck 140*12 + 10x + 8 sec

Wide Parallel Grip Pulldown 130 (warmup), 170*8, 180*7 + 6x + 10 sec
Narrow Parallel Grip Pulldown 180*8, 150*12
Undergrip BB Row 95*9, 115*8 + 6x + 6 sec (little weird on the grip, maybe try an ez bar next time)
Cable pullover 140*9 + 5 sec

hulkinout
02-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Chest, calves (which got moved from quad day when I moved hamstrings back with quads...got that?), abs.

Incline Smith Bench 135, 195 (warmup), 230*7, 235*6, 240*5 + 5x + 3 sec, 195*15 + 6x + 4 sec
Incline DB Fly 50*8 + 4x
Wide Hammer Bench 270*8, 320*6 + 4x + 3 sec
Pec Fly Machine 200*8 + 8x+ 6 sec
Cable Crossover 60/50 * 8/6 + 6x + 6 sec

Hammer Leg Press Calf 190, 240 (warmup), 330*12, 420*12 + 8 sec
Standing Calf 495*12, 495*17 + 6x + 6 sec
Sitting Calf 145*10, 170*10 + 8x + 10 sec

hulkinout
02-15-2007, 08:23 AM
Legs

Still sitting out squats because of my back.

Leg Press 450, 720 (warmup), 860*7, 860*8 + 4x, 640*15 + 4x
Sissy Squat BW*12, BW*12 + 10 sec
Leg Extension 210*15, 225*14 + 6x + 8 sec

Sitting Leg Curls 210*15, 225*14 + 6x + 10 sec
Lying Leg Curls 90*12 + 6x
SLDLS (just testing the waters) 65*12, 65*9 (eh)

The lying leg curl at my gym just feels weird to me, maybe I'm too tall for it, but I can never get the friggin' weight started, even if it's light.

Gettin' Big
02-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Nice lifting Hulk. Hope the back gets better!

hulkinout
02-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks, GB. You're about my size when I got serious about bodybuilding myself. I was very tall, skinny, ****ty leverage, and pretty much most of what I read on these boards and in magazines didn't work very well for me. Keep pluggin', and if you need some advice from a former skinny guy, hit me up. I'll give you what worked for me, some fairly unorthodox things, but hey, if your shirts start bursting open, who cares?

Anyway, got a little behind here. Forgot to post last week's delts/arms, midback/lats, and chest/calves. Lemme see if I can remember what happened end of last week.

2/16
MIDBACK
Bent BB Row 85, 115 (warmup), 145*9, 155*7 + 8x + 5 sec
Supported T-Row (Parallel Grip) 95*15 + 12x + 6 sec
Rope Row to Face 130*12, 140*12 + 8x + 4 sec
Incline Bench DB Row 35*15

LATS
Wide Parallel Grip Pulldown 130 (warmup), 180*8, 180*9 + 6x + 8 sec
Narrow Parallel Grip Pulldown 160*15 + 8x + 10 sec
Cable Pullover 130*11 + 4 sec
Undergrip BB Row 95*13 + 4x

FOREARMS
Reverse Wrist Curl 50*6, 40*12, 40*10

Lower back was a little off after the row work, but not bad.

2/ 18
PECS
Smith Incline 135, 185 (warmup), 235*9, 245*6 + 5x + 3sec, 185*15 + 6x + 4 sec
Incline DB Fly 45*12 + 6x
Wide Hammer Bench 270*10, 290*10 + 10x + 6x, 230*15 + 12x + 8sec
Fly Machine 210*11 + 8x + 8 sec
Cable Crossover 50*14 + 6x + 5 sec

CALVES
Hammer Leg Press Calf 270, 360, 450*12, 500*10, 520*12 + 6 sec
Standing Calf Raise 495*20, 495*20 + 8 sec
Sitting Calf Raise 165*12, 165*12 + 10x + 8 sec

Pecs didn't feel as strong as I would have liked, but got a tremendous pump. Calves were decent.

Stumprrp
02-20-2007, 06:06 PM
nice work in here man, still bulkin up?

Gettin' Big
02-20-2007, 06:33 PM
Thanks, GB. You're about my size when I got serious about bodybuilding myself. I was very tall, skinny, ****ty leverage, and pretty much most of what I read on these boards and in magazines didn't work very well for me. Keep pluggin', and if you need some advice from a former skinny guy, hit me up. I'll give you what worked for me, some fairly unorthodox things, but hey, if your shirts start bursting open, who cares?

Hey! who you callin' skinny?? :omg: Haha, just playin'. I am though, its sad :cry:

hulkinout
02-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks Stumprrp. Bulking till it gets warm, cause my eating goes down the drain when it gets hot.

Last night, beginning of shock week. Delts and arms. Did a bunch of DC-style stuff as well as dropsets. Delts felt weak but ok, triceps did much better than I thought, and biceps I tried some unilateral work for a change. Much more sore than usual on bis, which is good.

DELTS
BB Wide Grip Upright Row 45, 75 (warmup), (DC) 95*12/8/8 + 10x + 10 sec
Cable Upright Row 200/160/130* 12/8/6 + 8x + 10 sec
Leaning cable raise supersetted with egular cable raise 30*10/20*8 + 8x + 6sec
Seated DB raise (DC) 25*12/8/4 + 8x + 4 sec
Hammer Press 180*12/6 + 8x/1 super-slow negative + 8 sec

TRIS
Hammer Dip 110, 140 (warmup), 200*15+4x supersetted with pushdowns 180/150/110*12/8/6 + 6 sec
Hammer Dip 220*12 + 3x supersetted with cable pushouts 120/90*12/8 + 6X + 5 sec

BIS
One-arm Hammer Preacher 25, 40 (warmup), 50*10 + 5x, 50*8 + 5x + 5 sec
DB Spider 25*10 + 5 sec supersetted with Incline DB 25*6 + 6x/15*6 + 4x + 5 sec
DB Curl (DC) 25*12/8/4 + 3 sec

hulkinout
02-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Shock week for legs. I wanted to give my joints a bit of a rest so I decided I'd do higher reps on quads, and I decided to alternate quads and hams today for variety and just to see how my lower back was recovering. I went extra-light on SLDL's.

Leg Extension (warmup) 105*15
Standing 1-Leg Curl (warmup) 30*15
Hammer Leg Press 270, 360 (warmup), 450*8 + 8sec (I used this one because the regular one was taken, but I've decided I don't like how this one feels on my knees, so I went back to the regular LP for the rest)
Alternated with DB & BB SLDL DB: 35, 45 (warmup), 95*10 (feeling good)
Regular Leg Press 450*20 + 4x + 4 sec
BB SLDL 95*10
Leg Extension 12*195 + 8x(high) + 7x(low) + 5 sec supersetted with Lying Leg Curl 60*12 + 5 sec
Regular Leg Press 450*15 + 3 sec
BB SLDL 95*8
Adductor/Abductor superset 140*12/150*15

Short and sweet, and ready for lower reps for straight sets next time. Was very happy lower back didn't twinge. I'll slowly start working my SLDL's back up. On back day this week, I might try slipping in some light rack pulls.

Stumprrp
02-22-2007, 11:26 AM
damn crazy workout

Gettin' Big
02-22-2007, 12:55 PM
lookin' good Hulk. I hope your back holds up.

hulkinout
02-22-2007, 03:21 PM
damn crazy workout

That's why we call it shock week. No straight, linear sets. Supersets, Dogcrapp-stuff, significantly higher or lower reps, anything goes. I really look forward to it, cause sometimes I'll switch moves out for others I've wanted to try. Then I go back to straight, linear sets for the next 2 weeks. It's a little like going out on a bender for a week before being sober for the next 2. :-)

lookin' good Hulk. I hope your back holds up.

No pain DOMS today, except in the legs, so hopefully I'm out of the woods on the lower back. Time will tell. Looking forward to rack pulls this week!

hulkinout
02-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Shock week for chest and calves. I made this one up as I went along. Just felt like doing bizarre combos just for the heck of it.

Incline Smith Bench 135, 185 (warmup), DC/drop style: 225/185/135*8/8/10 + 5x+ 6 sec (awesome pump)
Hammer Incline Bench supersetted with Incline DB Fly 180*15+ 6x + 6 sec/ 30*10 + 6 sec
Tried a warmup on the regular Hammer Bench, but it's too tight for me, arm-wise. Couldn't get my arm's positioned right without my shoulders impinging, so went back to the Hammer Wide Bench.
Hammer Wide Bench supersetted with flat DB Fly and Cable Crossover270*12 + 8x + 7 sec / 25*12 + 8 sec / 50 * 10 + 6x

Calf raise on Hammer Leg Press 270 (warmup), dropset: 540/450/360/270 * 10/10/15/20 + 8x + 10 sec (OUCH)
Sitting Calf 170*15 + 6x, 195*8, 170*20 + 8x + 20 sec (don't ask me how I got more reps on the last one, but I felt like playing with a little wave training on this move, since it's never been a good one for me)
Standing Calf (one and a quarter reps) 495*15 + 8x + 10 sec

I just barreled through this one, I didn't really even think much about it. Next week, back to traditional, straight sets.

hulkinout
02-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Final day of shock week: back. Worked out at Apollon Gym in Edison, NJ near Mom. A couple machines, like the fly and pulldown, are significantly heavier than mine at home, so adjusted accordingly. Lower back seems to be okay, so I went in for some extra-light work on rack pulls and bent bb rows, just to see. A little tightness after, but no pain, and no bad soreness the day after.

MIDBACK
Rack Pull bar, 95, 145 (warmup), 195*10, 195*9 supersetted with t-bar 90*12
Bent BB Row (DC) 145*9/5/4, drop: 145/115/95*9/8/5 + 4x
Rear Delt Fly Machine 80/60/50 12/8/6 + 4x + 4 sec

LATS
Parallel Grip Wide Pulldown 80 (warmup), 130*10 supersetted with assisted pullup 120*10
Assisted pullup 120/80/50*12/8/6 + 12 sec
Narrow Pulldown 130*8 supersetted with pulldown reverse shrugs 130*15 + 12 sec
2 DB pullover (1-1/4's) 20*12
Rear Pulldown supersetted with 2 DB pullover 90*15, 20*10; 90*12 + 8x + 10 sec

The insanity ends for now, and next week I go back to straight sets, 4-6 reps. Going to change up a little, adding in an extra compound move for higher reps as a back-off, and dropping an iso move. We'll see how that goes.

hulkinout
02-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Back to traditional sets, but I've retooled it to emphasize more compound moves as opposed to iso moves. Tonight was delts and arms. Went fairly light to build in some recovery and ramp up some momentum.

First midrange exercise gets 2 warmup sets, 2 sets 5-6 reps. Second midrange exercise gets 1 warmup, 2 sets 8-10. Third midrange gets 1 set 15-20. Final set is an iso (one workout will be a stretch iso, the other will be a contraction iso) done as a drop-set, 2 drops, 8-12 reps each. This is an old Ian King routine that gave me good results a few years ago.

DELTS
Wide Grip Upright Row bar, 75 (warmup), 95x6, 100x6 (both easy sets)
Barbell Press Behind Neck 110 (warmup), 160x10, 180x10
DB Press 30x20 (too easy)
DB Lateral raise (drop) 25/20/15x12/12/12

TRIS
Wide Elbow V-bar Pushdown 110, 160 (warmup), 180x6 (little heavy), 170x6 (better)
Hammer Dip 110 (warmup), 160x10, 180x10 (both easy)
Overhead Cable Pushouts 80x20 (light)
Straight bar Pushdown (drop)100/90/80x12/12/12 (easy)

BIS
Preacher 35, 50 (warmup) 70x8 (too easy), 80x6 (still easy but ok)
EZ Bar Curl 60x10, 60x10 (went extra-slow to not engage delts and forearms)
Gironda Curl 30x20 (first time doing these ever, way too light, but I liked how they seemed to directly hit my bi's better than the previous two moves)
Incline DB Curl (drop) 25/20/15x12/12/12

All in all, felt good. Nothing to failure for a change. I'll adjust weights so they're a little more challenging next time. I might put the Gironda curls in the #1 or #2 spot for biceps...I think I'm in love.

hulkinout
03-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Caught a cold yesterday. Slept when I got home from work, skipped the gym. Lousy weather here today (cold, damp and rainy), so I'll more than likely skip tonight too to give myself a break. See how I feel tomorrow.

Stumprrp
03-02-2007, 12:46 PM
last workout was serious, do you like all the volume?

hulkinout
03-02-2007, 02:09 PM
The volume doesn't bother me. Do you think it's excessive? What this workout lets me do is work upper body twice a week (actually once every 4-5 days) and legs once a week, with which I've had good progress before. I find if I workout more than 4 or max 5 days a week, my progress slides, and I'm kind of bored now doing everything once a week. I'll probably stick with this arrangement for about 6-10 weeks.

Strength coach Ian King advocates a quasi-similar workout arrangement, the main difference being hams and lower back get their own day (deadlift day). Since my lower back has been an issue of late, I don't know that I'm ready for that just yet. Maybe after this phase ends.

hulkinout
03-04-2007, 09:56 PM
NEWS FLASH: LOWER BACK FINALLY COMING BACK!

Rack Pull 275*7 (no PR, but much better than the painful 95 I could manage three weeks ago).

hulkinout
03-05-2007, 11:46 AM
This weekend was legs on Saturday, back and chest on Sunday. This new routine is almost exclusively compound exercises with an iso at the very end of the bodypart, in direct contrast to all the iso work I've been doing the past few months. Also, no x-reps for a while to build in some recovery.

I went a little light too to ramp up some momentum and to guard the lower back. Also, Mitch's knee was bothering him, so I flew solo. That's probably the reason why I only did 770 on the leg press; I didn't feel like throwing more plates on the damn machine.

Leg Press 270, 450, 630 (warmup), 720*7, 770*6
Hack Squat 90 (warmup), 180*10 (legs wide), 180*10 (legs narrow)
Leg Press (feet high and narrow) 540*17
Leg Extension (drop) 210/180/150*12/9/10

Standing Leg Curl 20, 35 (warmup), 40*6, 45*6
SLDL 65 (warmup), 95*10, 100*10 (lower back felt ok but went very light anyway)
Sitting Leg Curl 180*20
Lying Leg Curl 60/45/30*12/10/12

Standing Calf Raise 240, 320 (warmup), 405*20, 405*20
Sitting Calf Raise 115*17, 115*20

Overall, felt good. Nothing too taxing. The high rep sets got me breathing heavy, as I hoped. I might try 135 on SLDL's this next week since lower back seems to be coming out of the woods, and maybe substitute hyperextensions for the sitting leg curl. I'd like to traditional squats back in as well, but I think I might hold off and just stick to the hacks for a month or so.

hulkinout
03-06-2007, 08:53 PM
So, back seems to be back on track. I intended to go light light light, but since lower back seemed so much better on leg day during hams, I went a little further than I expected.

MIDBACK
Rack Pull 95, 135, 185 (warmup), 275*6, 275*6
Bent BB Row 95 (warmup) 135*10, 145*10
T-Row 70*18
Rear Delt Fly (drop) 80/60/40*12/9/10

CHEST
Incline Smith Bench 135, 175 (warmup), 205*8, 215*7 (little too light)
Flat Smith Bench 135 (warmup), 185*10, 185*9
Wide Grip Hammer Bench 180*20
forgot to to do flies DOH

LATS
Wide Grip Pulldown 80, 110 (warmup), 140*7, 150*6
Parallel Grip Assisted Pullup 1 (warmup), 3*10, 5*10 (not sure what the weight corresponds to on this machine)
Undergrip BB Row 95*17
Stiff Arm Pulldown 40/30/20*12/10/12

Back is still feeling okay a day later. Might try Rack Pull's for 315 next week, getting back into familiar territory.

hulkinout
03-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Delts and arms went fine. Still playing with exercise selection, especially on biceps. Worked solo again since Mitch is sick. Did some rotator work before delts.

DELTS
Smith Wide Grip Upright Row 95, 135 (warmup), 170*7, 175*7 (regular bars were all taken, so did them on Smith)
Hammer Rear Press 110 (warmup), 180*10, 180*10
DB Press 35*20
DB Lateral Raise (drop) 30/25/20*12/10/10

TRIS
Elbows-Flared Pushdowns 110, 160 (warmup), 200*6, 200*6
Hammer Dip 200*10, 200*10
Something New: Narrow Bench on Hammer Decline Bench. I figured if the bar version works for me, why not this? 90*20
Overhead Cable Extension (upper arms braced on bench, drop) 80/60/40*12/10/12

BIS
Drag Curls 40, 55 (warmup), 70*6, 75*6 (I like how forearm is de-emphasized here. On me, it seems to hit bicep more fully)
BB Curl 65*10, 65*10 (felt forearms too much, even with wrists pulled back)
1-arm Preacher 25*12
Gironda Perfect Curl 40*20
Incline DB Hammer Curl 25/20/15*12/12/10

hulkinout
03-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Back and chest again. Lower back's back in the swing on things, seemingly.

MIDBACK
Rack Pull 135, 225 (warmup), 295*6, 315*7
Bent BB Row 95 (warmup), 145*10, 155*10
Supported T-Row 75*18
Rear Fly Machine 90/70/50*12/12/12

CHEST
Smith Incline Bench 135, 175 (warmup), 215*7, 225*7
Smith Bench 135 (warmup), 185*10, 195*10
Hammer Wide Grip Bench 180*20

LATS
Wide Grip Pulldown 80, 110 (warmup), 150*6, 160*6
Parallel Grip Assisted Pullup 5*10, 5*10
Rear Pulldown 90*19
Pullover 60/50/40*12/12/12

hulkinout
03-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Was in NJ for the weekend, so lifted at Apollon. I was dragging some because we'd eaten at Baja Fresh not that long before, and the gym was warm and very humid.

DELTS
Wide Grip Upright Row 55, 75 (warmup), 105*6, 115*6
Hammer Press (they have the unilateral press which I'm weaker on, compared to the one at my gym) 90 (wamrup), 140*10, 160*8
DB Press 40*20
DB Lateral Raise 30/25/20*12, 9, 10 (felt a little off)

TRICEPS
Narrow Bench on Hammer Decline 90, 140 (warmup), 190*6, 200*6
Cybex Dip 150 (warmup), 235*10, 250*10
Elbows Flared Pushdown *(cable's heavier than at my gym) 110*20
Overhead Cable Extension (cable's heavier than at my gym) 60/50/40*12/12/12

BICEPS
Drag Curl 45, 60 (warmup), 75*8, 85*6 (liking these more and more)
Gironda Perfect Curl 75*10, 75*10
Preacher Curl 60*20
Incline hammer 30/25/20*12/8/10 (don't know why the 1st drop was so weak...oh well)

Experimenting a little bit still with lineup on arms. I'm going to stick with the drag curls as my mainstay for a while. I kept the pump from them for a good 2 days, and they're not hindered by my forearms. I'm thinking of trying spider curls, maybe with dumbbells and replacing the traditional preacher with reverse curl preachers.

I put the narrow hammer bench first for triceps this week just to see how they'd feel. I feel them easily enough on triceps without much if any chest involvement, but I'm waffling on where they should be in the progression.

TwiloMike
03-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Drag curl sounds funny. ;)

Good looking workout despite less than optimal conditions. Go Jersey!

hulkinout
03-12-2007, 08:53 AM
No, I don't do them in heels and sequins. :-P

TwiloMike
03-12-2007, 08:55 AM
No, I don't do them in heels and sequins. :-P

LOL I accused you of nothing. :p

hulkinout
03-12-2007, 09:41 AM
J'accuse!!!

:whip:

TwiloMike
03-12-2007, 09:42 AM
J'accuse!!!

:whip:

Now now, save that for the Black Party. :hide:

hulkinout
03-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Leg Night. First time squatting in over two months. I went baby light, but no twinges (SLDL's are still extra light as well), so I was happy. I'll work back up gradually over the next couple months.

Had to cut calves short cause I was in a hurry.

Leg Press 450, 680 (warmup), 810*8, 860*6
Squat bar only, 95 (warmup), 145*10, 155*10
Hack squat 140*15
Leg Extension 210/165/120*12/9/10

Unilateral Standing Leg Curl 25, 40 (warmup), 50*6, 50*6
SLDL 65 (warmup), 105*10, 115*10
Sitting Leg Curl 195*20

Sitting Calf Raise 115*20, 115*20

Gettin' Big
03-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Lookin' good Hulk. Glad to hear the back is coming along!

hulkinout
03-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Thanks GB.

Back and chest last night. Rack pulls slowly heading back up.

Rack Pull 155, 225 (warmup), 315*7, 335*6
Bent BB Row 95 (warmup), 155*10, 155*10
T-Row 80*19
Machine Rear Delt Fly 110/90/70*12/10/12

Incline Smith Bench 155, 185 (warmup), 225*7, 225*6
Flat Smith Bench 135 (warmup), 185*10
Hammer Incline Bench 90*20
Hammer Wide Grip Bench 200*20

Wide GripLat Pulldown 90, 120 (warmup), 150*6, 160*6
Parallel Grip Assisted Pullup 2 (warmup), 5*10, 5*8 (not sure what the weight corresponds to on this machine)
Rear Pulldown 100*20
Pullover 70/60/50*12/10/12

Not sure why on the dropsets, the second phase has less reps than the first or third. Weird.

Stumprrp
03-13-2007, 09:54 AM
strong work hulk

Guido
03-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Wow, man. Nice journal! You definitely do a lot of volume, but looks like you've been at it a long time. Props to you.

hulkinout
03-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks guys!

It's nice to hear that you think I do a lot of volume, Guido, because most guys accuse me of not doing enough LOL. For me, this particular workout I'd consider medium volume though I'm combining a lot into one workout cause I'm doing upper body twice a week (well, once every 4-5 days; legs get once a week). Sounds weird, but I like to do this occasionally, and I can make progress on it for short stretches.

While I've gone as high as 10 sets per bodypart (usually when I do a once-a-week split), I try to keep around 6-8 sets per bodypart (not including warmups). I've tried the high volume stuff and it just doesn't suit me . Even eating and sleeping as much as possible, I'll be in overtraining mode.

Thanks for stopping by!

hulkinout
03-15-2007, 08:01 AM
DELTS
Smith Machine Wide Grip Upright Row 95, 145 (warmup), 185*6, 215*1, 185*7 (little bit o' wave training)
Hammer Press 140 (wamrup), 190*10, 190*7
DB Press 45*16
DB Lateral Raise 30/25/20*12,12,12 (put the dumbbells in the crook of my elbows for a change of pace...takes my forearms out of it and nails the medials better in my opinion)

TRICEPS
Narrow Bench on Hammer Decline 90, 140 (warmup), 150*6, 150*6 (jury's still out on this exercise)
Hammer Dip 150 (warmup), 200*10, 220*10
Elbows Flared Pushdown 100*20
Overhead Cable Extension 100/80/60*12/10/12 (elbows propped on bench to make it more strict)

BICEPS
Drag Curl 45, 70 (warmup), 85*6, 90*6
DB Curl 30*10, 35*10
Gironda Perfect Curl 30*20
Incline hammer 30/25/20*12/9/10

hulkinout
03-19-2007, 08:46 AM
Apollon Gym in NJ

MIDBACK
Rack Pull 185, 265 (warmup), 335*6, 355*6
Bent BB Row 95 (warmup), 155*10, 160*8
T-Row 85*18
Machine Rear Delt Fly 110*12

Hammer Incline Bench 140, 180 (warmup), 230*8, 230*10 (too light)
Machine Bench 190*10, 190*10
Machine Wide Grip Bench 150*20 (heavier than our Hammer Wide Grip)

Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 90, 130 (warmup), 160*6, 160*6
Parallel Grip Assisted Pullup 2 (warmup), 6*10, 6*8 (not sure what the weight corresponds to on this machine)
Rear Pulldown 100*20
Undergip BB Row 115/95/75*12/10/12

hulkinout
03-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Leg night. Tried a new hack variation I read about and I think I hit on a good hamstring lineup which I'll try to stick to now.

Lower back felt good on squats, but I'm still going slow in raising the weight again. Hams felt a little tighter than usual on the second set. Wasn't as easy to go ATG.

Leg Press 360, 540, 720 (warmup), 900*6, 900*7
Squat 95 (warmup), 165*10, 175*8
Frog hack squat 90*20 (variation on hack whereby your keep your feet together, toes pointed out, and when you lower, you spread your knees wide...got it off of t-nation)
Leg Extension 210*12 (no drop today, wanting to preserve knees)

Lying Leg Curl 60, 75 (warmup), 90*6, 105*6
SLDL 65 (warmup), 125*10, 135*8
Hyperextension BW*18
Sitting Leg Curl 195/150/120*12/10/12

Sitting Calf Raise 115*20, 115*20

McIrish
03-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Damn, Hulk, those are some awesome rack pulls. And holy crap, you give me hope that someone who was once skeletal can become beastly, keep it up!

My older bro is *STILL* 6'1, 130, so maybe one day he can pack on some meat, too. Did you just start eating or something at the age of 16? :)

hulkinout
03-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Wish it was that easy. I started working out at 135 but I had no real goal for a good 5 years or so, though I knew my exercises and what worked what from all the years of reading bodybuilding magazines.

About ten years later I was 160, but again, no plan or goal. Certainly didn't see myself as bodybuilding material. Then right around 9-11, I had one of those epiphanies where I just said "you only live once" and I started moving toward a conservative bodybuilder look, and I've done pretty well I guess in those six years.

So, the short answer is no; I didn't just start eating and growing. It took me about twelve years to give myself permission to do something about being skinny and tentative. Don't make that same mistake.

hulkinout
03-21-2007, 09:43 PM
DELTS
Upright Row 65, 105 (warmup), 125*7, 135*6
Hammer Press 140 (warmup), 200*10, 200*6 (bleah)
DB Press 45*17
DB Lateral Raise (holding db's in crook of elbows) 35/30/25*12, 12, 12 (I like this variation much better than using full arm extension; seems to hit the belly of the medial delts better)

TRICEPS
Narrow Bench on Flex Machine Press 90, 140 (warmup), 160*8, 180*7 (too easy)
Hammer Dip 150 (warmup), 230*10, 230*10
Elbows Flared Pushdown 120*20
Overhead Cable Extension 110/90/70*12/10/11

BICEPS
Drag Curl 50, 70 (warmup), 85*6, 90*6 (messed up poundages, meant to do 90 2x)
Bisolator Machine Curl 120*12, 140*10
Spider Curl 40*20
Incline hammer 35/25/20*12/10/10
Reverse Curl 30*20

hulkinout
03-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Apollon Gym in NJ

MIDBACK
Rack Pull 185, 265 (warmup), 355*6, 375*6
Bent BB Row 95 (warmup), 160*10, 160*8
T-Row 90*17
Machine Rear Delt Fly 110/80/60 (heavier than at my regular gym) 10/8/10

CHEST
Machine Incline Bench 140, 190 (warmup), 240*10, 260*10 (again too light)
Machine Bench 210*10, 220*10
Machine Wide Grip Bench 170*20 (heavier than our Hammer Wide Grip)

LATS
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 90, 130 (warmup), 170*6, 170*6
Parallel Grip Assisted Pullup 2 (warmup), 7*10, 8*10 (not sure what the weight corresponds to on this machine)
Rear Pulldown 110*16
Undergip BB Row 115/95/75*12/12/12
Hammer Shrug 225*15, 225*15

hulkinout
03-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Selling Mom's house. Been packing and moving stuff non-stop since Wednesday, so I'm surprised I had enough stamina to get to the gym last night, but my head needed it. Bodybuilding as therapy. I actually felt as strong as normal and weights went up in most cases, so I was very pleased.

DELTS
Upright Row 65, 105 (warmup), 135*8, 140*7
Hammer Press 140 (warmup), 200*9
DB Press 45*20
DB Lateral Raise (holding db's in crook of elbows) 40/30/25*12, 12, 10

TRICEPS
Narrow Bench on Decline Hammer 90, 130 (warmup), 160*8, 180*7 (I think I'm going to stick with this variation of the narrow bench for now)
Hammer Dip 250*9
Elbows Flared Pushdown 130*20 (too easy)
Overhead Cable Extension 120/100/80*12/12/12

BICEPS
Drag Curl 50, 70 (warmup), 90*7, 90*7
Bisolator Machine Curl 150*12 (too easy), 170*11
1-arm Cable Curl 30*20 (too easy)
Incline hammer 35/25/20*12/12/12
Reverse Curl 30*20

hulkinout
03-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Leg Press 360, 540, 720 (warmup), 920*7, 950*6
Squat 105 (warmup), 175*10, 185*10 (feeling healthy on squat finally!)
Narrow stance hack squat 70*20 (very disappointing. after squats, hams felt very tight, hard to get to parallel even; next time i'll stretch prior to these)
Skipped leg extensions to rest my knees

Lying Leg Curl 60, 75 (warmup), 105*6, 120*6 (the lying leg curl at my gym is not really built for my long legs; i have a hard time starting the weight going; my hams feel almost a little hyperextended at the start of the move. made a note to check out other options next time)
SLDL 85 (warmup), 135*10, 140*8
Hyperextension BW*20
Sitting Leg Curl 195/150/120*12/10/12

Skipped calves for time reasons.

Otherwise, all in all, a good workout.

Unholy
03-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Lookin good in here bro. Do you do Hacks on the Sled type machine?

hulkinout
03-26-2007, 10:28 PM
Yes, that's how I do them. I wish the platform on the hack was a little wider and deeper however, because my knees feel a little hampered on them. Curse my 34" inseam! :bang:

hulkinout
03-28-2007, 08:18 AM
Today was an off-day. I normally don't do three in a row, but I did because I can't work out tonight. Oh, well, live and learn. The gym was also extremely hot because of the surprise warm weather, so my energy levels got sapped early on.

MIDBACK
Rack Pull 155, 225, 315 (warmup), 375*4, 375*2 (yuck)
Bent BB Row 95 (warmup), 160*8, 135*12 I decided to go lower in weight since I could tell this wasn't going to be an optimum strength day
T-Row 90*15
Machine Rear Delt Fly 120/100 12/10

CHEST
Hammer Incline Bench 140, 190 (warmup), 230*7, 250*7 (felt decent considering how ****ty back went)
Machine Bench 220*10, 220*10
Hammer Wide Grip Bench 190*15

LATS
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 90, 130 (warmup), 170*5, 170*4
Parallel Grip Assisted Pullup 2 (warmup), 6*10 (not sure what the weight corresponds to on this machine)
Hammer Rear Pulldown 110*20

So, back just sucked, chest was okay. The heat may have been a contributing factor, but I also think the three in a row was too much, since I usually do 2 on, 1 off. I guess I was lucky the last two weeks doing the rack pulls the day after legs, but I also think there should be a day off between them because of lower back stress during squats and hams.

hulkinout
03-29-2007, 08:44 AM
My job has a company gym, so I might start doing some accessory work in the morning or around lunch: cardio, abs, rotator work. It's a nice facility, and conveniently, right across the floor from my office.

Unholy
03-29-2007, 09:08 AM
Solid Lifting man. Just ask the company to put a squat rack in your office and you are set!

hulkinout
03-29-2007, 09:33 AM
The gym's like thirty feet from my office. On a good day, I can hear the weights clanging. Like music to my ears...

I'm wondering if I'm gonna scare anybody in there. Gosh, I hope so.

:omg:

hulkinout
03-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Hadn't x-repped in about a month, so threw some in for a little intensity kick.

DELTS
Upright Row 65, 105 (warmup), 140*7, 140*6+11
Hammer Press 140 (warmup), 200*10
DB Press 50*15
DB Lateral Raise (holding db's in crook of elbows) 45/35/25/15*12, 9, 10, 10+6x (threw an extra drop in too)

TRICEPS
Narrow Bench on Decline Hammer 90, 130 (warmup), 180*7, 185*6+3x Hammer Dip 250*8+3x (felt off)
Elbows Flared Pushdown 150*20
Overhead Cable Extension 130/100/80*12/10/10 +6x

BICEPS
Bicep BB/Drag Curl 30, 40, 50 (warmup), 60*7/3, 70*6/3, 80*7 (drag only)
Bisolator Machine Curl 180*10 + 3x
1-arm Cable Curl 30*20
Incline hammer (different variation: started with incline low, then raised it a few notches, then a few more) 15/15/15*12/12/12+ 4x
Reverse Curl 30*20

The few weeks of drag curls have helped some; I didn't feel my forearms nearly as much as I normally do. What I did was regular reps going intentionally light, then as the weight got challenging, slipping in a few drag curls at the end of the set. The arm pump was one of the most palatable I've had since I did those 7-1/2 minute sets last year.

My pro friend Leo said I should just lighten up the sets and try them this way for a bit.

Stumprrp
03-30-2007, 04:28 PM
sick workout big hulk

hulkinout
04-01-2007, 07:59 PM
sick workout big hulk

Really? Most of you guys are way stronger and more intense than I am! I feel like Mr. 99-lb Skinny Weakling looking at you guys' journals!

Stumprrp
04-01-2007, 08:01 PM
iono man you seem to kick butt those workouts have a ton of volume, i train for strength so i do as little as i can as heavy as i can haha.

Unholy
04-02-2007, 08:09 AM
I agree with Bob, strong lifting. Wtf is a drag curl though. I R confuzed.

hulkinout
04-02-2007, 10:28 AM
A drag curl is a curl initiated by pulling your elbows back behind your torso and upward, basically dragging the bar up the torso. It takes all the momentum out of the curl, and (for me personally) it eliminates a lot of the forearm and shoulders stress I get with standard curls. For some reason, my biceps feel more worked after these than with standard curls, so I like using them from time to time. :strong:

Unholy
04-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Ah nice.

hulkinout
04-02-2007, 10:36 AM
So, moving more stuff out of Mom's house has left my lower back sore, my right calf twinging (no idea why that happened), and the area directly under my right pec feels strained (don't think it's the serratus, but it may be).

It's been about a month on this current routine; I'm going to give it a minor overall tweak, maybe change a couple variations on the moves, but basically keep it the same with three chief differences:

1. All bodyparts get hit directly once a week (currently hitting upper 2x)

2. Traditional deadlifts get their own (additional) day with ham and trap work, leaving just quads and calves alone on one day. I haven't deadlifted in a while, so I'll see how they go.

3. I'll implement a vertical and horizontal push/pull strategy on the upper body days, i.e., delts/lat/tris on one day and midback/chest/bis on the other.

The last two are Ian King concepts. I'll do the first two weeks or so straight sets, and add some x-reps and DC-stuff in for two weeks before re-evaluating.

TwiloMike
04-02-2007, 01:38 PM
I agree with Bob, strong lifting. Wtf is a drag curl though. I R confuzed.

The discussion of drag curls occurred somewhere around post #82.

Good looking session, hulk! :strong:

hulkinout
04-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks Mike, hope your foot's getting better!

hulkinout
04-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Ok, first leg workout on new schedule. Just quads, calves and ab work.

Went a little easy because of all the weekend work.

Leg Press 450, 630, 810 (warmup), 900*6, 900*6
Squat 135 (warmup), 185*10, 185*10, 95*20
Leg Extension 165/130/105 * 12/10/8+5x

Sitting Calf Raise 90 (warmup), 160*10, 160*10
Standing Calf Raise 420*20, 420*18

Ab work was hard because of the strain under my pec when i tried to bend upwards, so I nixed the incline leg raises since I couldn't comfortably hold onto the support. :bang:

Other than that, felt ok, but low-energy.

hulkinout
04-05-2007, 12:49 PM
I have a strained upper ab on the right side, so any move that stretches or contracts my torso to any degree hurts like hell. As a result, I couldn't get any lat exercise to work beyond very light behind-the-neck pulldowns, and decline work and heavy pushdowns for tris likewise irritated it. But I still got delts down and found some alternatives for tris.

The new lineup for this day is delts, lats, tris.

DELTS
DB Upright Row 20, 35 (warmup), 45*7, 50*7
Hammer Press 90, 140 (warmup) 160*10, 180*10
Barbell Upright Row 65*20 (trying to clean the db's for presses irritated the upper ab, so i didn't do them tonight, substituting this move instead)
Cable lateral raise 30/20/10*12/12/12

LATS
Parallel Grip Pullups OUCH
Wide Grip Pulldowns OUCH
Pulldowns Behind the Neck (extra-light today) 40*12, 60*12, 80*12
DB Pullover NO WAY

TRICEP
Hammer Dip 90, 140 (warmup), 190*6, 190*6
Decline DB Extension OUCH (OUCH also to close-grip decline hammer bench)
Overhead DB Extension (bringing DB to opposite shoulder as opposed to back to reduce torso stretch) 25*12, 25*12
Pushdowns 160*OUCH, 100*20

So, I still got a great delt pump and triceps felt good once I found the moves that worked. Hopefully, this strain should disappear within a couple days.

hulkinout
04-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Took the past four days off for my mom's estate sale and more packing and cleaning up. Wrenched my calf on Saturday going up the stairs. Not sure why, but it happens. Will ease back in this week.

TwiloMike
04-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Nice workout, bud! Sorry to hear that you are having to deal with "estate sale" stuff... :( Sounds rough.

My foot is fine, thanks for asking. It's in its last week of healing (turned out to be a muscle tear, not a fracture).

Btw, there's a thread in GenChat I think you should visit: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=95134

hulkinout
04-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the info Mike! I'd be glad to come. Glad to hear your foot's on the mend.

hulkinout
04-12-2007, 09:15 AM
First time deadlifting in a long time because of the lower back issues. Went extra-light to re-find the groove, and it went surprisingly well. SLDL's and Good Morning's I did extremely slowly, being careful not to engage the lower back beyond the minimum, just trying to squeeze the hams and glutes.

The last exercise I did was something I got off t-nation: a close-grip upright row that turns into the top half of a front raise to really fry the traps. I enjoyed that very much.

Looking forward to repeating this day.

Deadlift 95, 135, 175 (warmup), 195*7, 225*6
SLDL 95*8, 95*8
Good Morning bar*18
Sitting Leg Curl 195*12

BB Shrug 225*20, 275*15, 275*15
Rear BB Shrug 225*12
Close-Grip Cable Upright Row & Raise 50*12, 60*12

hulkinout
04-12-2007, 09:46 PM
DELTS
DB Upright Row 25, 35 (warmup), 50*6, 50*6
Hammer Press 110 (warmup), 160*10, 170*10
Wide Grip BB Upright Row 75*20
BB Clean and Press 55*12
Cable Lateral Raise 30/20/10*12/8/10

LATS
Narrow Grip Pulldown 90, 120 (warmup), 150*6, 160*6
Wide Grip Assisted Pullup 4*10, 5*10
Hammer Rear Pulldown 110*15

TRICEPS
Hammer Dip 110, 160 (warmup), 200*6, 200*6
Decline DB Extension 20*10, 20*12
Elbows Flared Pushdown 140*15
Incline DB Extension 20/15*12/8

hulkinout
04-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Wow, it has been that long...

Sorry everybody, been out of commission. My mom passed away last week. She'd been in a nursing home, suffering from dementia for the past year and a half, so this is actually the second stage of mourning for me, but I know she's at peace now and with my Dad, who she adored.

I've been getting workouts in when and where I can. I actually had a killer chest/midback/bicep workout in a Sheraton hotel gym just using dumbbells, an adjustable incline and a pulldown machine.

TwiloMike
04-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Sup hulk, it's good to see you back to posting.

My condolences about your mom's passing. As you said, she is at peace and is no longer suffering. I took solace in that when my grandfather died, and I hope that this works for you also.

*HUG*

hulkinout
05-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks Mike.

So, I've made some further tweaks here and there...

Looks like a lot of volume, but only the first two compound moves get multiple sets.

Usual setup:

Exercise 1: 2-3 warmup sets, 2 sets 4-6 reps
Exercise 2: 1 warmup set, 1-2 sets 8-10 reps
Exercise 3: 1 set 15-20 reps
Exercise 4: 1 set 12 reps (drop set)

4 day schedule

Day 1: Hams, Lower Back, Traps
Deadlift
Stiff Leg Deadlift
Hyperextension or Good Morning (depending on lower back's mood)
Sitting Leg Curl
Narrow Grip Cable Upright Row
Barbell Shrug
Barbell Shrug Behind Back

Day 2: Delts, Lats, Tris
Wide Grip Upright Row
Dumbbell Press
Dumbbell Cuban Press
Cable or Dumbbell Lateral Raise
Medium Parallel Grip Pullup
Assisted Wide Grip Pullup
Wide Grip Rear Pulldown
Dumbbell Pullover
Decline 2 DB Extension
Hammer or Bench Dip
Elbows-flared Pushdown
Overhead Cable Pushout (upper arms braced on bench)

Day 3: Quads, Calves
Squat
Leg Press
Narrow Stance Squat
Leg Extension or Ski squat (depending on knees)
Sitting Calf Raise
Standng Calf Raise
Donkey Calf raise

Day 4: Midback, Pecs, Biceps
BB Bent Row (with occasional rack pull thrown in on strong days)
T-Row
Cable Row to Neck
Machine Rear Delt Fly
Smith Incline Bench
Dumbbell High Incline Bench
Hammer Wide Grip Bench
Incline Dumbbell Fly
Gironda BB Curl
2-cable Curl
DB Curl
Incline DB Curl

hulkinout
08-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Woo-hoo! Three months without a post! I should've known I wouldn't be able to keep up with this thing...

Well, anyway, I dropped some bodyfat because I was annoyed at feeling so sluggish around 230, and I'm just not into eating so much when it's frickin' 95 degrees and humid outside. I drink a shake, go outside, and just start gagging, you know what I mean?

So, anyway, still plugging here. I guess I've maintained most of what I had, but I have some fair cuts here and there.

Not much else to report, but wanted to check in with the other meatheads. :-)