PDA

View Full Version : To Arch are not to Arch

Formless
11-18-2005, 02:27 PM
I Heard that arching your back during bench press works your triceps more then your chest?
If i leave my back firmly against the bench i find it harder to bench, Does this work your chest more?

I bench Press twice a week and was wondering would it be best to bench Normally one day and powerlifting style( arched back) the next.

Thanks for any info.

lilmase1153
11-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Well I have never heard of that before .. The only way to work your triceps more is to have a much closer grip and extend all the way..

When I am focusing on chest I use a fairly wide grip and I dont full extend on all reps since I am not trying to work my tris. If I wanted to work my triceps I would do whats called CLose grip Bench press..

About the arching questions Ill leave that to someone more knowledgeable Than I in terms of Powerlifting..

Sensei
11-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Benching w. an arch will help you involve the muscles of the back - if you are plastered against the bench, you will probably be putting a lot more stress on your delts than you would w. an arch.

It seems like we have this argument frequently over on the bodybuilding forum, but having a little arch will take some stress off the pec-delt tie-in and TO ME, that's a good thing. There should be less injuries if you use proper PL bench form.

I don't personally know a single person who benches over 315 raw who has poor pec development - I'm sure they exist, but there probably aren't that many... (edit: let me qualify that by saying that I don't know anyone who benches 315+ raw who is not fat with poor pec development...)

khari
11-18-2005, 04:46 PM
I'd like to second the 'Sensei for mod' idea put forth in another thread.

bill
11-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Sensei thats not nice fatness has nothing to do with muscle developement.

Sensei
11-22-2005, 09:05 PM
Sensei thats not nice fatness has nothing to do with muscle developement.
No, but it has a lot to do with range of motion.