PDA

View Full Version : Only gaining fat on a bulk????

Nongan
11-18-2005, 08:59 PM
So far I've been bulking for about 3 weeks and I've put on 4 pounds of mostly fat. I've gained .25-.75 pounds of muscles and the rest fat. Is there a way to correct this? I've been eating very strictly, just about 3200 calories a day, with somewhere between 100-125 g of fat, 250-275 g of carbs, and 170-200 g of protein, all of it from healthy sources. I've been lifting harder than ever too, and I've been gaining more fat :cry: . Help!

dissipate
11-18-2005, 09:06 PM
have you been having trouble gaining weight?

Nongan
11-18-2005, 09:10 PM
previous to starting a hardcore bulk? yes, i was stuck at about 145 pounds for 2-3 months, but once I started a strict bulk, I've been gaining 1-2 pounds a week every week.

dissipate
11-18-2005, 09:18 PM
i've only bulked once and that was recently so we might have to wait for more experienced members to give advice. this thread might help you though http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=70594

ReelBigFish
11-18-2005, 09:23 PM
are you using the same person to measure your body fat or what are you using to measure bf%?

Nongan
11-18-2005, 09:24 PM
actually, i'm using one of the little machines you hold in your hand and it sends an electric impulse through your body. Not sure what it's called, but I used the exact same one, at the same time (pre-workout) as when I did before.

g00dnick
11-18-2005, 09:27 PM
I'm been bulking for about 3 weeks now too at 3200 calories...so far i started at 163.5lbs at 15% bf and today I was 167.5lbs. at 16% bf...i was 14% when i was in the high 150s...seems like i'm putting on too much fat...does that sound right, or should i slow down a bit? I've been putting on approx. a pound a week like i'm supposed to, yet I've went up 2% in bodyfat already!

Nongan
11-18-2005, 09:30 PM
yeah, i'm basically the same. I went from 144 @ 9% to 148 @ 11 % body fat. To me, it doesn't make sense, but thats why I asked :D

Big & Tall
11-18-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm not sure, but I don't think those electronic meters are all that accurate. They are based on electrical resistance across your body, so I think readings can vary a lot with level of hydration, how much salt you're eating, etc. Also, I believe they assume an arm length and overall body size for the resistance calculation, so if your limbs are longer than most, it may read higher. Granted, that should be the same from use to use, but I think a good pinch test is probably most accurate (short of submersion).

g00dnick
11-18-2005, 09:40 PM
If I hit 17% I'm gonna start cutting again damnit...lol...i''m already disgusted with the fat...i figured with a slow bulk and still being new to lifting, i could still drop the bf and slowly gain muscle, but i've already put on 2% bf...i don't know what to do...

Nongan
11-18-2005, 09:43 PM
I'm not sure, but I don't think those electronic meters are all that accurate. They are based on electrical resistance across your body, so I think readings can vary a lot with level of hydration, how much salt you're eating, etc. Also, I believe they assume an arm length and overall body size for the resistance calculation, so if your limbs are longer than most, it may read higher. Granted, that should be the same from use to use, but I think a good pinch test is probably most accurate (short of submersion).

I agree that the things are horrible inaccurate. But I think that it should be consistant from person to person, unless it changes based on diet, in which case I've been taking in alot more protein/fats.

tigo
11-18-2005, 09:51 PM
that looks like alot of fat.. but i duno i've never bulked before.. but i thought that bulking means more carbs mostly

anasthetic
11-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Try upping the cardio that could help with your nutrient partitioning.

g00dnick
11-18-2005, 09:54 PM
I agree that the things are horrible inaccurate. But I think that it should be consistant from person to person

Mine was been surprisingly accurate...it's been consistant...as long as i weight the same time everyday...i can notice the difference throughout the day, but in the morning it's been consistant..

Big & Tall
11-18-2005, 10:01 PM
Yeah, using it at the same time of day, and particularly at the same hydration level would minimize the variability.

Nongan
11-18-2005, 10:06 PM
so what are some suggestions for minimizing the fat i gain on a bulk? eat less, or should I do something else?

dxiw
11-18-2005, 10:07 PM
I see one big problem with your diet.. a lot of fat and not that much protein.. move some of those fat cals over to carb and protein and it should help.. I've always bulked in craploads of carbs and protein and lower fats and its worked well.. fat and carbs together tends to just make people fat.. you want carbs for energy and protein for muscle

Big & Tall
11-18-2005, 10:18 PM
:withstupi

Generally go for less fat, more protein and carbs when bulking. Too much cardio is counterproductive, but you might want to try HIIT. Check out the "More Reasons That HIIT Rules" sticky in the bodybuilding/fitness forums. The short of it is that HIIT will help you preferentially burning fat, whereas lower intensity cardio will just use up all the extra calories you're eating.

Nongan
11-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Ok, I looked at HIIT. Seems interesting, but shortly I will be starting competitive soccer, and I'll train 2 days a week for 2 hours each day, all high intensity, so do you think that's a good substitute for HIIT?

shootermcgavin7
11-18-2005, 10:41 PM
I bulk on the worst foods possible. HIIT helps tremendously.

dissipate
11-19-2005, 01:03 AM
another way to bulk is high fats low carbs, which is for people who react badly to carbs.

ReelBigFish
11-19-2005, 08:40 AM
Hey Nongan, using that thing you're using to measure your body fat is crap. You said you've been bulking for 3 weeks at 1-2lbs a week, so in the past couple of weeks you've probably put on some water weight, which will be reflected on that thing that you're using, as being body fat. Dude buy looking at your pic, you could stand to put on a little fat, but I hight doubt you've put on 2% that quick. Just keep on bulking and if you need to, lower the cals so that you're gaining only 1 lb a week. Use the mirror more than the scale and that p.o.s bf scale.

Invain
11-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Hey Nongan, using that thing you're using to measure your body fat is crap. You said you've been bulking for 3 weeks at 1-2lbs a week, so in the past couple of weeks you've probably put on some water weight, which will be reflected on that thing that you're using, as being body fat. Dude buy looking at your pic, you could stand to put on a little fat, but I hight doubt you've put on 2% that quick. Just keep on bulking and if you need to, lower the cals so that you're gaining only 1 lb a week. Use the mirror more than the scale and that p.o.s bf scale.

Yeah, you definitely need more time than 3 weeks or so to tell what your really gaining.... don't just go by what the little meter says, use a mirror.

Nongan
11-19-2005, 11:28 AM
ok, thanks guys. so you think its probably just a lot of water weight, and I should keep bulking, and maybe cut the cals some.

Big & Tall
11-19-2005, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't cut the cals that much. You've been gaining 1.33 pounds per week, which is really a pretty good pace. Also, if you're starting soccer, your calorie usage is going to go WAY up. At your age and size, If you're doing 2 hours of soccer practice twice a week, then lifting three days a week, I would say eat absolutely everything you can find, and don't worry about additional cardio.

AzBboy
11-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Hey, my guess is that you increased cals too fast when going over to a bulk. Did you increase slowly, or practically overnight? If you did it too fast, fat gain is inevitable.

Nongan
11-19-2005, 01:39 PM
yeah, i pretty much did it overnight, i went from eating ~2000 cals a day up to 3200 a day, pretty much overnight (i went a few days at 2800, but thats it).

ReelBigFish
11-19-2005, 08:56 PM
Yeah go w/ what Big and Tall said, and keep your cals up. I was currently unemployed and was only doing cardio and lifting 3 times a week each w/ out much other activity. Well now i'm working 40hrs. a week, 8hr shifts on my feet the whole time lifting and carrying stuff. Well lets just say that I was bulking on 2900 and I had to up it to 3300 just to compensate some and i still don't think I'm gaining again.

crazyaoshi
11-20-2005, 07:57 AM
Please give me advice [similar problem]: What am I doing wrong?

I was going to post my own thread but I feel this thread is very close to what I wanted to ask. I too am on a bulk, in fact this is my first one ever. Here is my info first of all before and after my first 4 weeks of bulking.
Male 26yrs old
180cm
80.8kg-->84.3kg
LBM 67.5kg-->68.3kg
water weight 49.6L-->50.2L
11.6%BF-14.5%BF
I was trying to cut on 2400 calories a day but I wasn't losing any fat but I was losing strength, so I decided to begin a bulk. After reading the advice on this forum, I gradually increased calories by 300 a week [thinking it was safe to go up to 4000+ according to both Chris Mason's program or John Berardi's "massive eating calculator". Anyway as of this writing I am at 3600 a day, but I am worried at this rate as you can see I am gaining mostly fat. I eat maybe one cheat food a week [about 200 calories like one mochi ricecake]. Yes I began using creatine for the first time at the same time I started my bulk and yes the body fat is measured using electrical impedence [like the original poster]. But I always measure the same way and at the same time of day. I thought that creatine only causes water weight gain but according to the body fat machine I'm gaining mostly fat and not much water weight. I drink about 7liters of water a day. I don't think I look that much fatter, I expected to lose some definition after reading what creatine does but now I am a bit worried. This makes it difficult to "judge by the mirror, not the scale" especially since I am not used to creatine. True, since beginning the bulk and creatine, I have been almost everytime making gains on all of my exercises. But not such impressive gains that I am fine with this much fat gain.

I think as of this writing I'll cut back to 3000 calories/day and see how that goes. I intend to buy some nice calipers in America in a week when I go back and hopefully get a reliable reading.

Here's my routine by the way. 3 day split for an example week. Lifting sessions last about 90 minutes. If that needs to be shorter, please give me advice on what to drop.
Sunday: Obliques&30 minutes of cardio [reclining stationary bike, I hate cardio so I do the most comfotable one].
Monday: off, gym is closed. I usually take a nice walk around town.
Tuesday: Flat bench 6 sets, incline bench 4 sets, dips 4 sets, pec flys 4 sets, seated shoulder press 4 sets, triceps press down 4 sets [all of these include 1 warm up, the rest are working sets].
Wednesday: Bent over row 4 sets, dead lift 6 sets, chin ups 6 sets, lat pull downs 4 sets, bicep curls 4 sets
Thursday: Squats 6 sets, leg extensions 4 sets, leg curls 4 sets, cable crunch 5 sets, abdominals 4 sets
Friday: same as Tuesday
Saturday: Same as Wednesday
Sunday and Monday are always the same, Tuesday would be the same as Thursday [legs].

I know to pack on mass it's important to do a lot of the big 3 compound exercises [as I understand it: squats, bench and deads]. After every workout I take 5g/creatine right away and as per a post in this forum, drink 50g/gatorade powder 50g/whey protein].

Anyway, thanks for any advice. We have similar questions, I just thought I'd personalize it a bit for me. The main thing I'm worried about is: is it common for first time creatine users to show water gain as fat gain or is my gain really just fat?