PDA

View Full Version : Tim's Full Body 5x5

Pages : [1] 2

-TIM-
11-19-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm not sure how, or if, this is going to work for me, but I'm going to give it a try. My only clear goal to start will be to remain consistant. I would like to get in 3 days a week. No more, no less. I'll focus on compound movements for back, chest and legs each session. I may throw in a few sets for arms or calves here and there, when needed. Today was my first session, which I'm flying by the seat of my pants.

Squats
45 x 8
95 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5

Incline Bench
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5

T-Bar Rows
70 x 5
70 x 5
70 x 5
70 x 5
70 x 5

I had no idea where I would be for t-bar rows, but 70 lbs was a little too light. I wanted to feel it out and see where my foot and body placement should be. It was pretty straight forward though. Maybe jump up to 95 lbs next time.

I need to come up with a few different sessions that I can alternate through. I'd be up for suggestions if anyone has any.

lilmase1153
11-19-2005, 05:02 PM
Very intresting I am gonna be trying the 5x5 very shortly here and I will be having Anthony help me out since that is what hes currently doing. Maybe he can help you out, or perhaps you should look through his journal..

It looks good to me so far though.. good luck

lilmase1153
11-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Ooh yeah a little decoration for your journal

:spam: :spam: :spam:

Anthony
11-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Tim, if you are following the same structure as me, try this ...

On day 1, use the same weight on squats for 5x5. For your bench and rows, build up to your max 5 ... meaning don't use the same weight for all 5 sets.

On day 2, do 70% of your monday squat weight, shoulder work, deads, and chins.

On day 3, build up on squats to your monday weight. For bench and rows, use your last set weight from monday for all 5 sets.

Hope that makes sense, if not just take a look at one week from my journal (monday/wednesday/friday of last week is a good example). It will ensure you get some "rest" instead of going heavy every day.

Scott S
11-19-2005, 08:11 PM
Looks good to me. :thumbup:

Another idea would be to split it upper/lower:

Day 1. Deads/squats + hamstring movement like SLDLs

Day 2. Bench + rows/pullups + some kind of shoulder press

You could alternate that and at once build more variety and recovery time into your routine.

-TIM-
11-20-2005, 10:08 PM
lilmase1153 - Thanks for the decoration. Everybody needs a little :spam:

Anthony - Thanks for the outline. It made sense :p. Do you have suggestions on how to choose which exercise I'll want to alternate between for the same body parts? Like should I choose a variation of squats and bench between sessions? I think I know what to do for back. I'll alternate between deads, rows and chins.

Scott S - That's not a bad idea, but I think I'm going to give the full body routine a try. I've been pretty busy, so I think I would benefit from working my whole body when I do get in.

TTT
11-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Good luck, Tim. What's the weight at now? :) (*AHEM*) :D
Oh yeah, how's the back going after that 4-wheeler incident?

Anthony
11-21-2005, 05:13 AM
Anthony - Thanks for the outline. It made sense :p. Do you have suggestions on how to choose which exercise I'll want to alternate between for the same body parts? Like should I choose a variation of squats and bench between sessions? I think I know what to do for back. I'll alternate between deads, rows and chins.

I don't alternate any of my main exercises.

Monday is always squat, bench, rows.

Wednesday is always squat, military, deads, chinups.

Friday is always squat, bench, rows.

-TIM-
11-21-2005, 01:13 PM
I don't alternate any of my main exercises.

Monday is always squat, bench, rows.

Wednesday is always squat, military, deads, chinups.

Friday is always squat, bench, rows.Then that's what I'll do. Thanks for the help Anthony.

TTT -The back has been good. The weight is still the same. I haven't been lifting much in the last few months. Just enough to maintain.

squat it all!
11-21-2005, 01:37 PM
tim, good luck. this format, especially as edited by anthony, makes a lot of sense and should give you good gains.

-TIM-
11-21-2005, 04:14 PM
tim, good luck. this format, especially as edited by anthony, makes a lot of sense and should give you good gains.I hope so. Thanks for the encouragement.

M.J.H.
11-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Very interesting concept you have going on here Tim, I'm looking forward to seeing how you do with it. I was actually thinking about incorporating 10 sets of 10 into my training.

ufc2005
11-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Nice inclines dude. If you could do 135 * 5 * 5, i'm sure your flat BP has to be higher than 205?

Also, Anthony's suggestion sounds good. I may try it myself. Considering how much the guy lifts, it's gotta work..:D

-TIM-
11-22-2005, 04:18 PM
I just opened a FitDay account and gave up after spending 5 minutes trying to find the yogurt I had today. Pfft, what a scam. Actually it probably gets easier when you modify the foods you normally eat and save them. At least it looks like you can do that :rolleyes:.

I'll be heading into the gym tonight at 7:00 p.m. Giving myself a time to get in is part of my main goal so far. Which is to stay consistant. I've been planning on coming in tonight since my last workout, so now I'm sticking to it. I have my weights down, as outlined by Anthony (can't thank you enough), so I should be able to get in and out. I'm pumped. I'll be back on tonight to post the workout.

ufc2005 - Thanks bro. The inclines were really strong for some reason. I'm guessing the long ass break had something to do with it :p. I'll have to test my max bench again sometime soon and see if it's up.

-TIM-
11-22-2005, 08:51 PM
11/22/05

Squats
45 x 5
95 x 5
95 x 5
95 x 5
95 x 5
95 x 5

Military Press
45 x 5
75 x 5
75 x 5
75 x 5
75 x 5
75 x 5

Deadlifts
135 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5

Pull Ups - Neutral Grip
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5

Great workout tonight. I got to the gym at 7:00 p.m. as planned. I did 70% of my last workouts weight for squats, and then just did what felt like the right resistance for the following exercises. I think I'll up squats next week about 20 lbs. Everything else, as far as weights, felt good. I'll keep those the same for a few weeks until my body adjusts to the volume.

The diet has been good the last few days. I've been eating a lot, and staying away from anything too unhealthy. I'll probably lift again on Friday, just because Thursday will be too busy with Turkey Day. Gobble gobble everyone.

Chubrock
11-22-2005, 08:53 PM
Nice lookin lifts Tim. I'm following a modified 5x5 and making good gains. I think you'll see some big lifts come your way.

Anthony
11-23-2005, 04:22 AM
Tim, I have no evidence to back this up, but I think smaller/more consistant increases will allow you to stick with this routine longer (meaning more overall progress). I know you can handle +20, but if you go +10 for 2 weeks instead, you'll be that much stronger by the time week 3 roles around. I've been tempted to increase faster (especially on squats), but the 5-10lbs increases have kept me progressing a lot easier/faster than if I brought myself to the limit of my strength too quickly. Trust me, there will come a time when you're struggling to get that last set, but I don't think now is that time.

Again, I have no evidence to back any of this up, so feel free to research/get other opinions. :p

-TIM-
11-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Anthony - The only reason I wanted to jump up 20 lbs is because I only did 5x5 with 135 lbs. In my previous workouts over the last few months, I've been doing 4-6 sets, in a rep range of 3-8, with 185-205 lbs. My max squat is at 250 lbs. So I thought I would bump it up 20 lbs to 155 x 5. I would still only be at about 60% of my max.

Would you still suggest a 2 week increase for the 20 lbs based on what I've been doing last few months?

As a side note, I only plan on increasing weights 5-10 lbs in the future. It's just that I started a little lower than normal on the squats.

Anthony
11-23-2005, 08:57 AM
It's your choice, but I would personally go with +10. It gives you more time to adjust to the volume and frequency of squatting so often. Like I said, there will come a day when you pray for +10 ... so for now, let your body adjust and be happy.

-TIM-
11-23-2005, 09:01 AM
Sounds like good advice. I'll go with 10 lbs.

Anthony
11-23-2005, 09:03 AM
On the other hand, my gf is squatting 115x5x5 and is on track to hit 135x5x5 by end of year. So you may want to step it up a notch. :windup:

-TIM-
11-23-2005, 09:04 AM
On the other hand, my gf is squatting 115x5x5 and is on track to hit 135x5x5 by end of year. So you may want to step it up a notch. :windup:Oh no you didn't!

Anthony
11-23-2005, 09:13 AM
Whaaaa .. I thought you needed some motivation. :cool:

-TIM-
11-23-2005, 09:26 AM
I do, but that was just wrong.

:p

Anthony
11-23-2005, 09:28 AM
Don't feel bad. We did "tabata this" on Saturday and she beat me at chinups. It WON'T happen again, I can guarantee you that.

-TIM-
11-23-2005, 09:28 AM
Nice lookin lifts Tim. I'm following a modified 5x5 and making good gains. I think you'll see some big lifts come your way.Thanks Chubrock. I've never had too much trouble getting the squat and deadlift PR's to go up, but the bench has always been an issue. Hopefully this routine will help with that.

getfit
11-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Tim, how you liking the 5x5? i shall start the beg. of dec

-TIM-
11-23-2005, 02:41 PM
It's treating me well. It's been a looong time since I've actually been excited about getting into the gym. I lift again on Friday, and I can't wait. I'll be keeping an eye out for the start of your 5x5 sessions in December. Good luck girly.

-TIM-
11-27-2005, 01:27 PM
11/27/05

Squats
45 x 8
45 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 5
115 x 5
125 x 5
135 x 5

Incline Bench
45 x 8
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5 - WENT UP EASY

T-Bar Rows
Bar x 8
80 x 5
80 x 5
80 x 5
80 x 5
80 x 5

Notes - I felt really strong today. I've been eating really well all week, and had 3 meals before working out after work. The only change was that I increased t-bar rows by 10 lbs. I'll normally make the changes on the first day of the weekly cycle, but I stepped it up anyway, just because it was so light the day before.

Anthony
11-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Nice work, but why inclines? I missed that during your first session.

-TIM-
11-27-2005, 01:42 PM
This isn't going to make sense, but inclines hurt my shoulders less. I have nerve damage in both, and flat bench puts me in tears. If I do any flat pressing movements, it has to be with DBs.

Anthony
11-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Must be the angle that aggrevates it. Ever get it checked out? Can you do pushups?

-TIM-
11-27-2005, 02:43 PM
Pushups don't hurt, but the resistance is obviously much lighter. I would agree that it's the angle that causes the irritation. I've had a therapist look at it, but it didn't sound like there was a lot I could do. Sometimes it hurts, sometimes it doesn't. I guess the big question is, how is doing inclines going to match up against flat bench? Am I missing out on much? The chest is getting worked regardless, and I'm getting a little more shoulder work. Seems like fair trade to me.

PowerManDL
11-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Inclines are fine. That's what Starr had in his original program.

Anthony
11-27-2005, 03:02 PM
I don't have a problem with inclines, I was just curious why you went with them. PowermanDL knows more about the 5x5 than I do, so listen to him. :p

-TIM-
11-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Good deal. Thanks guys.

Titan
11-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Thanks alot for the compliment Tim. I am interested to see how the 5x5 works for you. I may be switching to a similar 5x5 program soon as well.

-TIM-
11-27-2005, 09:57 PM
It seems like a lot of member are leaning towards a 5x5 based routine. I've only had three workouts with this format, but I have to say that I'm really enjoying it.

harv
11-27-2005, 11:46 PM
Hey nice lifts so far. Add me to the "curious how you like the 5x5" list.
:spam: :spam:

getfit
11-28-2005, 01:53 AM
It seems like a lot of member are leaning towards a 5x5 based routine. I've only had three workouts with this format, but I have to say that I'm really enjoying it.
excellent :)

-TIM-
11-28-2005, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the :spam: kids :D. I can't wait to get my lifts up. I'm looking at what I'm pushing, and it seems so damn light. But Anthony is right, I'm going to be begging for mercy in a little while.

Vita
11-28-2005, 10:34 AM
good luck! i'll be interested in how you progress!

as is stated above, keep the increases low and milk it out for what it's worth. i've done a lot of reading on the 5x5, and will be progressing to a single factor 5x5 before moving on to the dual factor when it stops working for me. this likely won't be for another year or so for me.

small increases over time add up in the long run, and i've seen nothing short of good results from structured 5x5 routines.

below is what i'll be starting, and will milk out for what it's worth before moving on to dual factor (what you seem to be doing).

The Bill Starr Power Routine

When I was a freshman in college, Bill Starr gave me this routine to follow. It was designed for off-season football and general strength training. In the first 16 weeks I was on it, I added about 35 pounds of bodyweight, and took my total from a paltry 600 to over 950. Of course, I was also on the dorm’s prepaid meal plan, and ate like it was going out of style. Plus, I only had four classes that semester, so I spent lots of time sleeping.

Monday – Heavy Day
Squat – 5 sets of 5
Bench – 5 sets of 5
Powercleans – 5 sets of 5
2 sets of weighted hypers
4 sets of weighted Sit-ups

Wednesday – Light Day
Squat – 4 sets of 5
Incline Bench – 4 sets of 5
High Pulls – 4 sets of 5
Sit-ups – 3 sets

Friday - Medium
Squat – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, back-off
Bench – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, back-off
Powercleans – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple
Weighted Dips – 3 sets of 5-8
Triceps and Biceps – 3 sets of 8 each

Key Features:

* On Monday, the weight for each lift is increased on each set of 5, from a light warm-up to an all out set of 5. For squats, something like 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5. The weight should be increased evenly from your first to last set. If you are working up to bigger weights, say above 500, you can add a sixth set of 5 just to avoid making large jumps between sets. I’ll explain how to choose the top weight in a second…

* On light day, Squat the first 3 sets of 5 just as you did on Monday, and then do a fourth set of 5 with the weight used on the third set. An extra fifth set at this same weight can be added. Incline bench is done using the same scheme, working up to 2-3 sets of 5, but with about 70-80% of the weight flat bench, to accommodate the leverage difference of the incline. High Pulls are done by feel, but usually pretty heavy.

* On Friday, the first four sets are the same as they were on Monday. The fifth set, done for three reps, should be a jump of about 2.5% over what you did for your fifth set on Monday. As you become more experienced with the system, you can experiment with the weight you use on this triple. This should NOT be a PR triple attempt every week. In fact, the goal is to come back the following Monday and get the same weight for 5 reps that you got for 3 reps the Friday before. To avoid missing reps, pick weights carefully. Take it easy the first few weeks, and don’t over do it. After the big triple, drop back to the weight you used for your 3rd set and try to get eight reps.

* Deadlifts, or Speed Deadlifts can be substituted with Powercleans if you so desire. Powercleans are pretty popular among football players for working on explosiveness. They are not as specific for the powerlifter, but they can add strength to your traps and shoulders as well as thicken up your back. They can also improve speed-strength.

* I always trained with three to five guys on a single bar. The rest time between sets was helpful for making an all out assault on that top set. I also used no gear except a belt, which we used only for squats and powercleans. Some guys used grip straps on powercleans or high pulls when attempting heavy 5’s and 3’s.

* The dips, bi’s and tri’s are what Bill called “Beach Work,” in that they tend to have a bigger cosmetic effect than squats or deads. The scheme for these varied by need and based on what I thought my weaknesses were. I went very heavy on the dips, for sets of 5, to help build up my triceps. Other guys did closegrips, or even added in some rowing movements for the lats. No matter what you pick, try and move quickly though this stuff, like one minute rests max.

Advantages:

* Some research shows that full body workouts tend to stimulate more hormone production than isolation workouts.

* Focus on the big three can help with developing good exercise technique for the beginner, and the weekly goal setting from Friday to Monday helps keep you motivated.

* The program is relatively simple, and easy to follow. If you can figure out how to pick your weights, then this can be a very effective program. By starting out with less than max poundage, you can work on form, and build good habits as you increase the weight. You also choose weight week-to-week by feel, instead of calculating reps and sets way in advance.

Disadvantages:

* Not a lot of exercise variety.

* Some people find training the Big three more than once per week to be too taxing, but the total volume is actually not that high because there is not much focus on assistance exercises.

* This method is good for muscle growth and strength, but may not be as effective if you are trying to lose weight, or maintain a weight class.

Recommended for:

* Beginners that are still learning how to squat and bench effectively. If you are new to free weights or to lifting in general, this is a good way to spend a lot of time with real iron learning the basics, because you can start off slowly and train each core lift more frequently.

* Lifters trying to gain both size and strength, who want to add to their core of muscle mass. If you stick with this for more than 12 weeks, you will make muscle gains if you keep up with food and rest.

here (http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375215) is a link to what i've found to be the most comprehensive compiliation of 5x5 info and experience to date. reading up on this will surely help you along/understand the techniques involved. again, good luck and have fun!

-TIM-
11-28-2005, 11:08 AM
Good read Vita. Thanks for the information.

Vita
11-28-2005, 12:37 PM
Good read Vita. Thanks for the information.

no problem! hopefully it comes in handy for you. i'm not even running the program and it's been handy for me. though when i do, it'll become invaluable. enjoy!

:spam:
(because i'm a big dork)

ufc2005
11-28-2005, 12:57 PM
Vita, Tim...I just read those 5x5 articles...great read..

has anyone on WBB finished a 9 week cycle, and if so, what kinda gains in strength did you see?

Vita
11-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Vita, Tim...I just read those 5x5 articles...great read..

has anyone on WBB finished a 9 week cycle, and if so, what kinda gains in strength did you see?

this is from a member of another forum, but they completed two DF (dual factor) cycles of the 5x5:

Before:

Weight --------> 221
Flat Bench 1RM --------> 315
Deadlift 1RM ------------> 315
Squats 1RM -------------> (Parallel) = 315
Rows 1RM --------------> 205
Military Press 1RM -------> 165
Pullups 5X5-------------> BW palms in

After two runs on 5X5 madcow style:

Weight --------> 240
Flat Bench 1RM----> 360
Deadlift 1RM-------> 405
Squats 1RM--------> 405 ATF
Rows 1RM---------> 295
Military Press 1RM-----> 215
Pullups 5X5 -----> BW + 25lbs Palms out

not everyone will see similar results, but diet is key, as is rest. on the other hand, look at them squats! 315 from parallel to 405 ATF is pretty impressive if you ask me. i know i can squat a hell of a lot more only going parallel than ATF...

ufc2005
11-28-2005, 01:06 PM
whoa..that dude's big 3 total went from 945 to 1170..amazing progress in about 4 months..

I've been doing 5x5 for some of my lifts..but after reading all those articles, I am inclined to give the dual factor 5x5 program a serious shot.

-TIM-
11-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Those are some impressive gains. You hit two key points too, diet and rest. I'm really trying to focus on my diet. I've been eating about 500-1000 more calories than normal since starting my 5x5.

Vita
11-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Those are some impressive gains. You hit two key points too, diet and rest. I'm really trying to focus on my diet. I've been eating about 500-1000 more calories than normal since starting my 5x5.

that's good because if you stick to the 5x5 programs (non-altered) that i've linked to above, it's really tasking on your system and diet and rest are key to sucess with 5x5.

i'd have already jumped right into the SF version, but i consider myself new enough to not be ready. i figure about 4 months out i'm going to begin the SF 5x5 and follow it strictly, not even tossing in cardio (unless it's in the bedroom :) ) until it's been milked.

i've found it suprisingly amazing how well seasoned lifters progress on the big lifts with these programs, even guys who've been lifting for a LONG time. something's gotta be right about it. not to mention again, the fact that it'll really awaken you to the purpose of the program, and you can take that knowledge with you to any program for evaluation/manipulation for your liking.

i look forward to seeing where you go with it! again, good luck!

-TIM-
11-29-2005, 08:17 AM
I was going to get into the gym tonight, but I found out my little boy has pneumonia, an ear infection, and the start of pink eye. He started to get a cough on Thanksgiving, and it got pretty bad over the weekend. Took him into the doctor first thing Monday and that's what I found out. He's happy though. You wouldn't know he was sick if it wasn't for the cough. The doctor actually didn't seem overly worried. I just about hit the floor though as I'm hearing what's wrong with him. So I'm staying home with him tonight and taking tomorrow off work to stay with him during the day. I'll get my workout in Wednesday night after he goes to bed.

Anthony
11-29-2005, 08:18 AM
You're a dad? That's one hell of a scary thought. Hope he gets better soon.

Vita
11-29-2005, 08:47 AM
I was going to get into the gym tonight, but I found out my little boy has pneumonia, an ear infection, and the start of pink eye. He started to get a cough on Thanksgiving, and it got pretty bad over the weekend. Took him into the doctor first thing Monday and that's what I found out. He's happy though. You wouldn't know he was sick if it wasn't for the cough. The doctor actually didn't seem overly worried. I just about hit the floor though as I'm hearing what's wrong with him. So I'm staying home with him tonight and taking tomorrow off work to stay with him during the day. I'll get my workout in Wednesday night after he goes to bed.

i hope he gets better soon! at least he's not really showing it...

-TIM-
11-29-2005, 10:10 AM
You're a dad? That's one hell of a scary thought. Hope he gets better soon.What's scary, that I'm a dad, or how sick my little boy is? :p

Thanks for the kind thoughts guys.

Anthony
11-29-2005, 10:15 AM
lol, I had no idea you were a dad. How old??

getfit
11-29-2005, 11:00 AM
hope your son will feel better :)

ufc2005
11-29-2005, 11:03 AM
Hope the lil one gets well soon Tim.

-TIM-
11-29-2005, 11:18 AM
He's almost 11 months. I tried putting pictures up the other day, but they were too big. I have Fireworks and Photoshop, they're just not installed on my new computer. Maybe I'll install them tonight and resize some photos. Then everyone can see how cute my little man is.

-TIM-
11-29-2005, 11:19 AM
getfit & ufc2005 -Thanks you two! Kind thoughts are always appreciated.

TTT
11-29-2005, 01:38 PM
Hope your kid gets better soon!
Good work on the 5x5. (Even though I've only actually seen about one or two of your workouts, and the rest of the posts are 5x5 info) :D

-TIM-
11-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks 3T. I'm sure the little guy will be doing better soon. As for the workouts, I just started the 5x5, but there should be plenty to review over the next few weeks.

WBBIRL
11-29-2005, 02:50 PM
I was going to start a 5x5 deal right before I quit lifting about 3 months ago. I've heard its nice because you are able to get more intense workouts then if you were working say 3x10... Its 5 less reps but the weight should be able to be much higher. Or maybe im just nuts...

Anyhow, 4 wheeler accident huh.. sounds painfull. I hope you didnt permenantly injure anything.

-TIM-
11-29-2005, 04:01 PM
Ahh, the 4 wheeler accident is misleading. I severely pulled my back lifting the 4 wheeler, not riding it :D. It was stuck in mud and I was lifting the back end and rotating it to a dry patch. My foot slipped when I stood it up and all the weight shifted. I could feel the muscles pull on one side. It was horribly painful. I'm 100% now, so no looking back.

-TIM-
11-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Dammit! I just got a call from the gym at 6:02 p.m. Turns out I was scheduled to work tonight at 6:00. I would have come in earlier to workout since I took the day off from my day job. So now I'm missing tonight's workout, dinner (which I was in the process of making), and I won't be able to watch the movie I rented. Nobody to blame but myself though. I thought I didn't work until Friday. Looks like I'll have to work out tomorrow after work.

TTT
12-01-2005, 12:07 AM
Tsk tsk. Which movie did you rent?

SW
12-01-2005, 05:07 AM
Rent, obviously.

Man, I even want to slap MYSELF for that one. Sorry.

Hope the boy gets better Tim. Sounds like life's been a little hectic as of late. That 4-wheeler accident sounds badass. Painful, yet badass.

-TIM-
12-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Mr. and Mrs. Smith and some no name horror flick. I only got the horror flick because it was free with a new release. That and there's a good chance I'll get to see some boobs.

Vita
12-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Mr. and Mrs. Smith and some no name horror flick. I only got the horror flick because it was free with a new release. That and there's a good chance I'll get to see some boobs.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith should be good. going to go rent it tonight myself

JoeG
12-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Hope the little guy feels better soon.

kad
12-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Hey Tim, hope your boy gets well soon. Good luck with 5x5, I'm looking forward to starting it too when I'm finished cutting.

Oh, and have some :spam:

-TIM-
12-01-2005, 08:19 PM
12/1/05

Squats (+10 lbs)
45 x 8
95 x 5
145 x 5
145 x 5
145 x 5
145 x 5
145 x 5

Incline Bench*
45 x 8
45 x 8
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5

T-Bar Rows
Bar x 8
45 x 5
55 x 5
65 x 5
75 x 5
85 x 5 (+15 lbs)

* I messed up on inclines. I was supposed to work up to my 5 rep max of routine 2 or 3. Instead I did straight sets. I figured I'd stop it at 3 working sets so as not to throw off my next day.

Thanks to everyone that mentioned something about my little boy. He's much better today. If he wasn't, I would have had to take him to the doctor again. He's doing well though.

Feedback
Jordan - Thanks for the spam :thumbup:

Everyone else - You're not worthy :moon:

ufc2005
12-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Nice workout you 5x5 ho. I'll be joining the club next week.

getfit
12-02-2005, 02:42 AM
nice tim, i'm glad your son is better :)

irishred
12-02-2005, 07:30 PM
nice benchin...

ryuage
12-02-2005, 10:07 PM
you could always work your way up to a 5 rep max on the next workout

SW
12-03-2005, 06:24 AM
^ Instigator. But hey, I'm with you on that. Then again, Tim may want to get a ways into his 5x5 to see how far it took him.

-TIM-
12-03-2005, 02:38 PM
getfit - Thanks GF, he's actually asleep in his crib right now and doing really well. He fell asleep with a bottle stuck to his face. I should have taken a picture, very cute.

ufc2005 - I'll be sure to stop by your journal and check it out when you start. You're giong to love it. It's simple, and it maximizes your time in the gym with all the big compound movements. You leave feeling like you made great use of your time.

irishred - Thanks. It's too bad I messed it up.

ryuage - I thought about that while I was at the gym, but decided against it. I want to stay as close to the routine as possible since it's just starting out. Obviously one workout isn't going to hurt. It was more of a mental thing.

Nick - ryuage is just jealous because I've got bigger legs than he does. :D

-TIM-
12-04-2005, 10:32 PM
12/4/05 - WEIGHT 182 LBS

Squats
45 x 8
45 x 8
100 x 5
100 x 5
100 x 5
100 x 5
100 x 5

Military Press
45 x 8
75 x 5
75 x 5
75 x 5
75 x 5
75 x 5

Deadlifts (+10 lbs)
45 x 8
135 x 5
195 x 5
195 x 5
195 x 5
195 x 5
195 x 5

Pull Ups - Neutral Grip
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5

Everything felt good today. I didn't eat very well in the morning, so I wasn't sure how my energy level would be when I lifted in the afternoon. But it turned out pretty well. Squats were at 70% of my Routine A weight, so they went up 5 lbs to keep in line with the last increase. They still feel light, so I'll keep increasing the weight on Routine A, or Day 1, as needed.

On a HUGE negative note, my weight was around 182 lbs. WTF? (182 is one figure I hate to make public). But there's no way I'm down 13 lbs from my last run at things. I know I atrophied, but I didn't think that much. Maybe the scale was off? I sure don't look that light in the mirror. People usually peg me for around 200 lbs, so something is off. Either way, I'll stick to stuffing my face. It's the only way to get the scale going up.

For next week: Military Press +5 lbs.

Anthony
12-05-2005, 03:47 AM
Nice work, Tim. I thought you were heavier than 182 ... ???? :p

Clifford Gillmore
12-05-2005, 04:28 AM
Nice solid looking routine here, I'm impressed with the goal setting stuffs - I might have to think about doing something similar.

-TIM-
12-05-2005, 09:48 AM
Nice work, Tim. I thought you were heavier than 182 ... ???? :pYeah, me to. I was up to a lean 196, but that was over a year ago. I have no idea what's going on. Rather depressing.

MM
12-05-2005, 10:01 AM
The scale is the BBers equivalent of dress size for women. Seriously. Ever have a chick try on a pair of pants or something and be like, "There's no way I'm a size eight! These are wrong!".

Me neither. But it seems an apt metaphor.

The jist of my bulking advice is "eat more carbs". It's worked wonders for me.

Anthony
12-05-2005, 10:08 AM
Yeah, me to. I was up to a lean 196, but that was over a year ago. I have no idea what's going on. Rather depressing.

I felt the same when I cut down this low, but it's not that bad. Well, maybe it's bad when you're 6'4. :p

-TIM-
12-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the perspective MM. The scale is right, and I'm going to blow away with the next strong gust of wind. Adding the weight shouldn't be an issue. I've been able to successfully gain 1-1.5 lbs per week by keeping my food consumption up. I love carbs too, so that won't be a problem. I'm guessing if I eat correctly, I should see myself back around 190 by the end of January at the latest.

I think part of what shocked me is that the other gym's scale said I was in the upper 180's. So that threw me off as well, to see a 5-6 lb decrease. But the one I'm using now is digital, and I tend to believe this one a lot more. The other scale was probably off. Now I'm getting a cold hard dose of reality.

-TIM-
12-05-2005, 10:30 AM
I felt the same when I cut down this low, but it's not that bad. Well, maybe it's bad when you're 6'4. :p6'3" buddy. Hell, I might start telling people I'm 6'2" so my weight doesn't look as shocking. I hear each inch makes about 10-15 lbs difference for your average schmuck. Any truth to that?

EDIT: That can't be right. I just divided my weight by my height and it's only 2.44 lbs. 10-15 lbs would be huge. So not only am I a lightweight, I'm an idiot :bang:

Anthony
12-05-2005, 10:44 AM
6'3" buddy. Hell, I might start telling people I'm 6'2" so my weight doesn't look as shocking. I hear each inch makes about 10-15 lbs difference for your average schmuck. Any truth to that?

EDIT: That can't be right. I just divided my weight by my height and it's only 2.44 lbs. 10-15 lbs would be huge. So not only am I a lightweight, I'm an idiot :bang:

Well, it's a guideline for appearance. Like, a guy who is 6'0 and 190 would probably look the same as someone who is 6'1 and 200. All else being equal. Obviously it's not exact.

ufc2005
12-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Maybe you should buy a scale. I have one and I end up weighin myself at least once everyday. Helps me to make minor adjustments to my diet, like on days when I'm a pig and eat 2 much.

Guido
12-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Can you use one of those balance scales to weigh yourself? I think those tend to be the most accurate. I think as long as you are consistently using the same scale, though, you can get a good idea of how you are progressing and of trends in your weight gain/loss.

BTW, interesting routine you've got there. Talk about HIGH VOLUME!

-TIM-
12-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Bah, I'll stick with the gym scale and use the saved money for a bucket of lard. I'm sure the scale at my last gym was off, thus the reason for the difference and extreme reality check. I should be good now that I have a digital scale that seems to be more accurate. I work at the gym too, so I get to weight myself pretty much any day I get an itch to see how light I am.

Utopianhopes
12-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Hey, Tim how are you tracking your calories?...I wish I had your problem just weigh myself one day and be down 13lbs, Sounds like a dream..lol

-TIM-
12-05-2005, 04:24 PM
BTW, interesting routine you've got there. Talk about HIGH VOLUME!That last workout is my longest one. The other 2 days only have 15 working sets and a few warm up sets. It's actually a very quick routine. The volume is high on that last day though.

-TIM-
12-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Hey, Tim how are you tracking your calories?...I wish I had your problem just weigh myself one day and be down 13lbs, Sounds like a dream..lolHa, it wasn't over 1 day :p. I was up to 196 lbs about 2 years ago. I've obviously weighted myself since then, but the few scales I had access to said I was still in the mid to upper 180's. Then the other day I get on the scale at my new gym and it says 182 lbs! I checked myself on the scale at my GF's parent's house that night, and it was the same. So the atrophy has been over the last few years due to poor diet and an inconsistant routine. Which I'm currently attempting to rectify.

I'm not really tracking calories right now. I set up a fitday account a few weeks ago, but havn't been using it. I need to take some time and enter a lot of custom foods when I get some time. So it's a guessing game at this point. All I can say for sure, is that I'm getting between 5-6 solid meals a day, one of which is in the form of a suppliment shake. I know I need to track it though. Only what's measured can be improved upon.

SW
12-05-2005, 05:12 PM
I don't like fitday. Type in "chicken leg" and you'll see why someone like me goes nuts :D But it's very useful to get a close estimate of foods that don't come in packages. I prefer to track my own calories.

jkirkpatrick
12-05-2005, 05:43 PM
That can't be right. I just divided my weight by my height and it's only 2.44 lbs. 10-15 lbs would be huge. So not only am I a lightweight, I'm an idiot :bang:

3.44lbs here (6'5"). In my personal experience, I've found that drinking hoardes of milk to be a great way to put on some mass.

Just my two cents.

I'm going to join you guys in this 5 x 5 routine. Sounds exciting and promising!

I'll be checking back to see how your lifts progress. :thumbup:

-TIM-
12-05-2005, 06:43 PM
I caught the milk thread in the nutrition forum and have been drinking about half a gallon since. I love milk, so it's an easy addition.

Nick - I hear taking the few hours to input your custom foods makes it easier down the road. But I haven't taken the time myself, so I'm not one to talk :D.

M.J.H.
12-06-2005, 12:57 PM
So hows this 5x5 full body stuff treating you Tim?

-TIM-
12-06-2005, 01:14 PM
It's awesome. I can already see growth in my legs. Which makes sense since I'm squatting 3 times every 7 or 8 days. It's the best move I've made in a long time as far as lifting goes. I should be a monster once the diet catches up.

SW
12-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Milk rocks, and looking foreward to seeing your legs progress. Perhaps great squatting will tag along?

-TIM-
12-06-2005, 10:13 PM
I guarantee it Nick.

ericg
12-07-2005, 05:46 AM
Nice journal Tim. I see you jumped on the 5x5 band wagon!! I was thinking about joining the club but since i need to lose a little chub I will wait till then (ive read its not an ideal split when you are cutting).

How is your son doing?

Keep up the good work.

-TIM-
12-07-2005, 08:40 AM
I can imagine it would be hard to cut and train on a full body 5x5 with this amount of volume and frequency.

Everything is going well so far. I've been a little strapped for cash, so getting enough to eat has been hard the last two days. But I seem to be making progress. The weights are still kind of light, but I know I will be begging for mercy in about a month. That and easing into it will help my body adjust to the load. I'm actually giving up my spot on tonights pool league so I can be sure to get my workout in. It feels good to be dedicated again.

The little guy is doing well. I have another doctor appointment this afternoon for his last flu shot and check up. He's happy as can be though, and his cough is so much better.

BAD BEAT! - Okay so I got rocked for a $100 last night on a hand of poker. I had pocket 7's with two other people calling my small preflop raise. The flop came out KK7! Eureka! I've flopped a full house. All I realistically have to worry about is someone with a king pairing their second hole card to make a higher full house. Next card is a Q and I check while the others make small bets, which I call. The river is a 4 which can't hurt me. My only concern right now is someone with KQ or QQ. Either would make a higher full house. So one player makes a small bet, the next folds, and I re-raise the guys $10 bet and make it $25 to play. He pushes his last $60 in and I call. I was right! He didn't have a higher full house, he had pocket kings making quads. :eek:. It was a $215 pot that slipped right through my fingers. Blah! No worries though. I still ended the night up $110. :D

Utopianhopes
12-07-2005, 10:12 AM
BAD BEAT! - Okay so I got rocked for a $100 last night on a hand of poker. I had pocket 7's with two other people calling my small preflop raise. The flop came out KK7! Eureka! I've flopped a full house. All I realistically have to worry about is someone with a king pairing their second hole card to make a higher full house. Next card is a Q and I check while the others make small bets, which I call. The river is a 4 which can't hurt me. My only concern right now is someone with KQ or QQ. Either would make a higher full house. So one player makes a small bet, the next folds, and I re-raise the guys $10 bet and make it $25 to play. He pushes his last $60 in and I call. I was right! He didn't have a higher full house, he had pocket kings making quads. :eek:. It was a $215 pot that slipped right through my fingers. Blah! No worries though. I still ended the night up $110. :D

Not much of a bad beat when he was leading the whole way, more like a bad read. What type of player was he and how was the positions (Was he in early position raising or re-raising, etc..)?..

-TIM-
12-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Not much of a bad beat when he was leading the whole way, more like a bad read. What type of player was he and how was the positions (Was he in early position raising or re-raising, etc..)?..This guy sucked. He was trying to steal pots the whole night by bullying short stacks, but getting caught half the time. He'd push with J4 os. I would have been a little more concerned had I been playing anyone else on the table at that time. I was on the button, he was in the small blind. The only raise he made was on the river. I put him on a king, but not two :D. He led the river with a $10 bet, which pushed the big blind out, making it heads up. I reraised $15 to make it $25, and pushed the last $60 or so in. I had him covered in chips 2 to 1. All I had to call was another $35 for a $200+ pot with 7's full. It would have been dumb to lay down, at least against this guy. I had to laugh when the cards came up because my eyes were so wide when he went all in. Little did I know, his were wider. Yeah, maybe it was a bad read, but I was playing a very loose player. And what are the odds someone is going to flop quads? I know I've done it, but the odds are still low. The good thing is, I didn't loose my cool, and still ended up winning another $160 after that to put me back up a little over $100 for the night. Not too shabby.

Utopianhopes
12-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Yeah, it can be tough when a loose aggressive player catches his cards, but congrats on you still being up. I think you have it easy; I can deal with not being able to dodge a bullet (like someone slow playing 4 of a kind). I get on tilt when I play good and get out lucked. Been like that for a 2 weeks now for me.

-TIM-
12-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Oh hell, I was on tilt for a little while after that. I sat out for about 15 minutes and made something to eat while venting to the GF. I sat back down and moved to a $100 NL table and bought in with $30. Within an hour I crawled back up to a hair over $200. It was a good night, even with that disaster of a hand.

Utopianhopes
12-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Oh hell, I was on tilt for a little while after that. I sat out for about 15 minutes and made something to eat while venting to the GF. I sat back down and moved to a $100 NL table and bought in with $30. Within an hour I crawled back up to a hair over $200. It was a good night, even with that disaster of a hand.

Where you play at?...so far the only public places I have found where I can play are very limited in gambling. Casino's and dog tracks only host limit cash games, single & multi-table tournments. I guess, this avoids people from taking huge losses.

-TIM-
12-07-2005, 04:19 PM
I play online at Pacific Poker. I think they're rated as having the worst poker players on the net. It's not even fair if you're half way decent :evillaugh. Don't let that fool you though, I do well in live games at casinos. But I really like Pacific Poker. My GF's bro turned me onto it. Easy to use, and they have all kinds of options for playing Hold'em.

MM
12-07-2005, 04:51 PM
I like fulltilt better. I've only played for money once, and I lost it all in the span of a couple of hours. Got crippled on a couple of big hands, and then it was only a matter of time.

JustinASU
12-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Hey Tim...

Workout plan looks solid. I tried 5x5 about 3 years ago with an incredible gain in strength (almost 100 lbs on squat and deadlift within 6 months). Keep it up.

Also, don't worry so much about the weight, my weight will fluctuate 5-8 lbs in a given day. Just be consistent in your eating habits.

Utopianhopes
12-07-2005, 07:22 PM
I play online at Pacific Poker. I think they're rated as having the worst poker players on the net. It's not even fair if you're half way decent :evillaugh. Don't let that fool you though, I do well in live games at casinos. But I really like Pacific Poker. My GF's bro turned me onto it. Easy to use, and they have all kinds of options for playing Hold'em.

I been checking poker site reviews and I see pacific poker doesn't believe in multi-table tourments and software was rated poor. Party Poker seem to be the favorite overall.

-TIM-
12-07-2005, 07:55 PM
MM - I didn't do too well when I started playing online. It's a lot different than live poker. I ended up playing a lot of very low limit games to get a feel for the community and how everyone played. It helped out a lot. Now I'm starting to make money.

JustinASU - I'm not horribly worried about the weight loss. I know I can get it back up. I have noticed in the past that my weight dips down when I kick things in to gear. It usually starts heading in the right direction a few weeks in. Hopefully that's now. I will keep eating too. I just downed the last few tablespoons of peanut butter :p.

Utopianhopes - I just PMed you...

Utopianhopes
12-07-2005, 08:12 PM
I like fulltilt better. I've only played for money once, and I lost it all in the span of a couple of hours. Got crippled on a couple of big hands, and then it was only a matter of time.

I don't know what level your on and if your playing to win or to have fun. Anyway, here are 2 great site to learn if you would like.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/ubbthreads.php

http://www.pokertips.org/

SW
12-07-2005, 08:13 PM
I hardly know the damned concept of poker, but it sounds fun if you get into it.

Utopianhopes
12-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Hey, Tim I am trying to make you some money. Check your pm box.

TTT
12-08-2005, 01:48 PM
I think you should retitle your journal "Tim The 5x5 Cardshark's Journal" :D
Nice playing, by the way.

-TIM-
12-08-2005, 02:36 PM
Ha. It seems I've been spending more time playing cards than lifting. I should be in the gym tonight though.

getfit
12-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Ha. It seems I've been spending more time playing cards than lifting. I should be in the gym tonight though.
get to the gym ;)

-TIM-
12-11-2005, 04:14 PM
12/11/05

Squats
45 x 8
105 x 5
115 x 5
125 x 5
135 x 5
145 x 5

Incline Bench
45 x 8
45 x 8
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5

T-Bar Rows
Bar x 8
85 x 5
85 x 5
85 x 5
85 x 5
85 x 5

Been about a week since my last workout. No good excuse for waiting so long. I could have made it in on Friday. The diet has been hit or miss. I've been broke and the fridge was empty. I got a few things last night and have been eating non-stop. I work tomorrow night, but should be able to get in on Tuesday for the next workout.

Anthony
12-11-2005, 04:25 PM
I've been broke

Stop gambling, foo!

-TIM-
12-11-2005, 04:32 PM
You mean stop Christmas shopping. I just spent $200 on some things for my GF. This time of year is too expensive.

f=ma
12-11-2005, 04:58 PM
man youre right about that tim. i just really focus on not using my credit card. i try to make all my holiday purchases in cash so im only spending what I have

TTT
12-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Workout looked pretty decent. I think we're probably at about the same level.

-TIM-
12-11-2005, 06:30 PM
man youre right about that tim. i just really focus on not using my credit card. i try to make all my holiday purchases in cash so im only spending what I haveMy boss and my GF's mom save all year for Christmas. Makes for some pretty nice gifts I would assume. I'm staying away from the credit cards too.

-TIM-
12-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Workout looked pretty decent. I think we're probably at about the same level.Thanks 3T. We've been matched pretty evenly for some time now. Bench has always been a tough area for me to increase. Hopefully this routine will help add to the numbers.

Guido
12-11-2005, 09:38 PM
So I see you are giving the 5x5 thing a try. I never was to into the higher volume set number set/rep scheme workouts, but I'm interested to see how you do on it. I'll be checking in. ;)

Nice card playin', too. If I had the time I'd probably try out the online thing for a while. I'm lucky if I get in a game a month with my friends, though.

-TIM-
12-11-2005, 09:41 PM
It's a nice layout for someone with limited time. I figure this way I get the most out of my workouts. I do full body when I get in, and they're all compound exercises. Can't beat it.

f=ma
12-12-2005, 09:44 AM
damn somehow i scrolled right by your workout

very good effort all around bro. keep it up

-TIM-
12-12-2005, 11:00 AM
Thanks f=ma. I'm easily overlooked :D. But that's when I sneak up out of the shadows and thump ya on the head with my huge gunz.

SW
12-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Nice volume. 5x5 sounds fun. How did this workout feel to you, and do you go in charged for it?

-TIM-
12-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Charged? In a word, yes. I get pretty focused when I get to the gym and start warming up. It's a pretty good feeling all around.

Guido
12-13-2005, 11:19 AM
Tim,

I'm still anxiously awaiting the $20 you still owe me. You can paypal me at rbrault@illinoisalumni.org

My bank account will be waiting.

;)

-TIM-
12-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Tim,

I'm still anxiously awaiting the $20 you still owe me. You can paypal me at rbrault@illinoisalumni.org

My bank account will be waiting.

;)Pfft, all I'm sending to that email address is a healthy dose of virus infected spam, mixed with a dash of porn.

:)

Anthony
12-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Pfft, all I'm sending to that email address is a healthy dose of virus infected spam, mixed with a dash of porn.

It's against WBB policy to send nude photos of yourself to other members. Sorry to hear about your virus.

-TIM-
12-14-2005, 05:59 PM
Heeey, nice zinger Anthony. I've updated the score below.

Score
Tim: 213
Anthony: 2

That's right. You're up to 2 now!

:p

I've been working every day at the gym since Sunday, so I haven't been able to lift between both jobs and having junior. But the diet has been good. One thing that's nice about working here is I've been enjoying all the protein shakes I can handle, on the house. The boss asked us to help ourselves to the cooler since she wants to get rid of some of the dated drinks. I looked and the oldest ones still have a good month before the use date, so that's helping with the calorie and protein intake. I will be in for a workout tomorrow, and I'm taking vacation on Friday and Monday. Should make for a good last half of the week as far as the workouts go.

SW
12-14-2005, 07:29 PM
That good diet will at least help when you can't lift. Good thinking. Free protein shakes? You'll gas ppl out, I'm tellin' ya.

ericg
12-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Throw a pair of DBs behind the desk and do some walking lunge push presses.

-TIM-
12-15-2005, 09:17 PM
12/15/05

Squats (+10 lbs)
45 x 8
135 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5

Incline Bench (+5 lbs)
45 x 8
105 x 5
115 x 5
125 x 5
135 x 5
145 x 5

T-Bar Rows (+10 lbs)
Bar x 8
55 x 5
65 x 5
75 x 5
85 x 5
95 x 5

Squats and t-bar rows felt great. Bench was okay, it was just that I had problems stablizing the weight. It didn't feel heavy, just wobbly. I think I'm supposed to do weight increases on for inclines and rows on the day I do all 5 sets with the same weight. I'll keep that in mind for the next increase.

Some guy at the gym sneezed on my protein shake last night. That was gross. Other than that, all is well. I plan on getting in again on Saturday. Which just happens to be the night of the gym's Christmas party. Drinks are on the house. It's going to get ugly!

getfit
12-16-2005, 01:54 AM
nice tim, my back seems to love t-bar rows, i'll stick to those and chins, have fun at the party!

TTT
12-16-2005, 02:18 AM
Have fun at the party, dude. Workout looks pretty good. At our height, everything over 50lbs feels wobbly when we have it at arms length :)

-TIM-
12-16-2005, 08:39 AM
GF - T-bar rows have found a special place in my heart. They're awesome. I'm doing chins and deads on one of my days too. Maybe I'll catch up to ya :D

3T - Long arms suck sometimes, mostly on pressing movements. But, I think us tall guys look pretty damn good when we get some muscle packed on. When's the last time you've heard a girl say, "I love a guy who's short, dark, and handsome." NEVER! Us tall guys have it in the bag :thumbup:. I just hope I see some good improvements on bench. That's the only area I'm concerned about.

SW
12-16-2005, 06:05 PM
Should've drank said shake anyway, for the extra protein that would be in it. Then beat his ass, using the strength HIS ill-donated protein gave you. That would be awesome.

-TIM-
12-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Should've drank said shake anyway, for the extra protein that would be in it. Then beat his ass, using the strength HIS ill-donated protein gave you. That would be awesome.That would have been a good plan, if it wasn't for the fact that this guy is about 6'4" and 'bout 260 lbs ripped. Literally the largest guy in the gym. Plays arena football for the Steamwheelers. Giant sneezing jerk off.

SteveEU
12-16-2005, 06:40 PM
Hi Tim...I shall keep tabs on your log, being in over 6 foot club :-)

-TIM-
12-16-2005, 06:43 PM
Hi Tim...I shall keep tabs on your log, being in over 6 foot club :-)Good deal. What's your height Steve?

EDIT: Looks like 6'4" according to your journal.

SteveEU
12-16-2005, 06:58 PM
LOL...Yep, 6'4". Lanky is a term i've been given in the past! Among others...Starting to fill out abit now....only took 42 years...LOL.
Getting used to the imperial weight conversion now...all these big numbers you all post! Sorry i do all my lifts in kilos LOL, only double figures.... :-)
Great journal dude.

SW
12-16-2005, 07:07 PM
I know 5'9" is avg, but I still think I'm short because most guys are taller than me! :( Tall bastards.

Coke
12-17-2005, 08:36 AM
I think 5'10 or so is a good height for bodybuilding but the taller guys do look impressive if they can pull it off.

Good deal on beginning to fill your frame out Tim.

Utopianhopes
12-17-2005, 08:52 AM
But, I think us tall guys look pretty damn good when we get some muscle packed on. When's the last time you've heard a girl say, "I love a guy who's short, dark, and handsome." NEVER! Us tall guys have it in the bag :thumbup:.

How the weather up there?...must be nice being tall and all. I would just like to remind you one swift kick to the nuts and you will be falling faster then the Eiffel tower, Punk!! :D

Canadian Crippler
12-17-2005, 10:01 AM
When's the last time you've heard a girl say, "I love a guy who's short, dark, and handsome." NEVER!When's the last time you've heard a girl say, "I love a guy who's lanky, skinny, weak, and ugly." NEVER!

:D

-TIM-
12-17-2005, 10:58 PM
When's the last time you've heard a girl say, "I love a guy who's lanky, skinny, weak, and ugly." NEVER!

:DSee now Crippy, you had me pegged until the ugly part :p

I'm man pretty bizatch!

TTT
12-17-2005, 11:04 PM
See now Crippy, you had me pegged until the ugly part

I'm man pretty bizatch!
Haha.

How the weather up there?...must be nice being tall and all. I would just like to remind you one swift kick to the nuts and you will be falling faster then the Eiffel tower, Punk!! :D
Yeah, but we can kick you in the nuts from a longer range. :whip:

-TIM-
12-17-2005, 11:24 PM
3T's right, you'd never get close to striking range before we made you have to fish your balls out from up in your stomach.

-TIM-
12-18-2005, 05:23 PM
12/18/05

Squats (+10 lbs)
45 x 8
110 x 5
110 x 5
110 x 5
110 x 5
110 x 5

Military Press (+5 lbs)
45 x 8
80 x 5
80 x 5
80 x 5
80 x 5
80 x 5

Deadlifts (+10 lbs)
95 x 8
135 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 5

Pull Ups - Neutral Grip (+5 lbs)
5 x 5
5 x 5
5 x 5
5 x 5
5 x 5

---------------------
NEXT WORKOUT:
Military Press: +5 lbs
Dead Lifts: +10 lbs
Chins: +5 lbs

Very strong workout today. Everything went up 5-10 lbs. I really concentrated on my form with everything and used that mind to muscle idea. My last set on chins was kind of difficult, but I'll still increase the weight 5 lbs next week. If I don't get it on the last set, then I'll keep it there and move up once I get them all. I'm having beef tacos for dinner and am going to watch the Bears pound Atlanta. Should be a great night.

Next workout will probably have to be on Wednesday night. I work tomorrow night, and I have my other company holiday party Tuesday night. But Wednesday is open.

Now last night's Christmas party was fun. I didn't drink too much because I had to drive, and I didn't want to be hung over today. Nothing much happened, except as we were leaving some guy apparently grabbed my GF's ass as she cut through the bar. I was out in the car getting it warmed up while she went in to return a hotel key to her sister when this happened. She made the mistake of mentioning it to me as we were leaving, so I turned around and went into the bar to confront the dumb bastard that put his hands on her. Now I'm not the type to pick a fight, but I don't like the idea of some lonely drunk trying to cop a cheap feel. I promised I wouldn't get into a fight, not that I was looking for one, but I felt like not letting this one go. I get in there and she points out the table the guy was sitting at. There were 5 guys and 3 girls but the one she described wasn't sitting there. Guess the guy was in all black. So I walked up and asked if everyone in there party was with them right now and they said yes. So I said my girlfriend just cut through a few minutes ago and someone from the area they were sitting in grabbed her ass. None of them admitted to it, so there really wasn't much else to say. I just said, "If it wasn't someone from your group, then sorry for the interruption, but if it was, then that person needs to keep their hands to themselves." I figured I handled it pretty level headed, especially after a night of drinking, which is always a good thing. No sense getting thrown in jail for the night over something that small. :D

SW
12-18-2005, 05:58 PM
Good job on lifting and being a man TIm! Keepin' it real lol. Sorry, Dave Chappelle moment. Me, I'm not as stable. Would probably have been a fight, not necessarily with the perpetrator :D That's why I don't drink anymore.

Anthony
12-18-2005, 06:01 PM
Sorry bro, I didn't know she was your girlfriend. :angel:

-TIM-
12-18-2005, 06:42 PM
Sorry bro, I didn't know she was your girlfriend. :angel:Well she did say the perp was very short and hairy.

MM
12-18-2005, 07:13 PM
Nice job. If your girl mentions something like, you know she at least wants you to act like you're willing to break a skull over it.

-TIM-
12-18-2005, 09:34 PM
I take it as a compliment when a guy hits on my gf, but I get pissed when they cross the line. This was the first time I've ever been around to do something about it. Not like getting her butt grabbed is a huge deal, but it was enough for me. One time her and a few of her girlfriends were at a bar alone and some guy kept asking her to dance, and she kept refusing. Later in the night she was running to the bathroom to take a call on her cell and the guy tripped her. I mean WTF? She hit the ground, almost hitting her head on the wall, and hurt her side really bad. She comes home and wakes me up in tears, so I'm thinking the worst has happened. But she lifted up her shirt and her side was already bruised up. We thought she broke a rib. Fortunately she ended up being fine, but I was steaming. She said when she came out of the bathroom after being tripped that the guy and his friends had split. It's crap like that, that gets me pissed. So I wasn't going to pass on this.

TTT
12-18-2005, 10:57 PM
Good for you for keeping your cool. That ****** tripping her up would have pissed me off beyond belief, too.

Pullups are looking good...

Coke
12-19-2005, 05:14 AM
Damn bro, I see you ain't afraid of confrontation and don't tolerate bs...you are off the chain with the 5 x 5 - props!!

-TIM-
12-19-2005, 08:10 AM
3T - It was nice to add some weight on pullups. I had the dip belt on with a whole 5 lbs! Hey, gotta start somewhere.

CoCoa - I'm a firm believer in standing up against something if it's not right, even if it means getting your ass kicked :D. Thanks for the props on the 5 x 5 too. It seems to be coming along nicely.

harv
12-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Nice 5x5
And way to stand up for the lady!

-TIM-
12-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Thank you, and thank you :thumbup:

ericg
12-21-2005, 07:31 AM
Nice work Timothy!

Cudos to Tony on grabbing your girls ass, im suprised he could reach that high.

97muscle
12-21-2005, 07:33 AM
THat is a nice 5x5, I think once I get a lifting partner (Jan. 1st) I am going to start doing the same. And props on the girlfriend situation, I would have probably been a little more psycho then that, I have a very low tolerance for stupid people.

-TIM-
12-21-2005, 08:50 AM
ericg - Thanks! And my girlfriend said Tony had a step ladder.

97muscle - Screw getting a lifting partner for the 5x5. I usually only need one spot on my last set for one of the bench days. Other than that I'm good. Either way, I think you'll like it once you start it. I'm already noticing results.

97muscle
12-21-2005, 09:13 AM
ericg - Thanks! And my girlfriend said Tony had a step ladder.

97muscle - Screw getting a lifting partner for the 5x5. I usually only need one spot on my last set for one of the bench days. Other than that I'm good. Either way, I think you'll like it once you start it. I'm already noticing results.

Well due to the fact that the last time I asked some jackass to spot me I almost got crushed, I think that I will get a partner that I can trust. And I don't like taking the chance of smashing myself, seems kindof counter productive.

ericg
12-21-2005, 10:19 AM
Well due to the fact that the last time I asked some jackass to spot me I almost got crushed, I think that I will get a partner that I can trust. And I don't like taking the chance of smashing myself, seems kindof counter productive.

Might try using DBs?? Thats why I use them, plus the fact they feel better on my shoulders. I never can give it 100% knowing that if i fail the bar will rest on my chest.

-TIM-
12-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Might try using DBs?? Thats why I use them, plus the fact they feel better on my shoulders. I never can give it 100% knowing that if i fail the bar will rest on my chest.That's a great alternative. And you're right, DB's seem to be much easier on the shoulders. I have a hard time with flat bench press. Inclines, not so much.

But I can see the benefit of having a lifting partner 97muscle. It's actually nice if you find someone doing a similar routine, or the same one, and is where you're at physically. It's also nice to have someone to help get your butt in gear when if you're having an off day.

getfit
12-21-2005, 11:10 AM
nice work Tim, i sure miss having a training partner :)

-TIM-
12-21-2005, 11:14 AM
I bet they miss you too GF :p

getfit
12-21-2005, 12:46 PM
he showed me the way ;)

he was great, very determined, and a very loyal training partner

-TIM-
12-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Lifting partners like that are hard to come by.

News Flash - I'll be in the gym tonight as scheduled. I'm still a little sore from my last workout, but I'll be fine by tonight. I'll be curious to see if I can hit 145 x 5 for 5 sets on inclines. I'm such a wimp.

-TIM-
12-21-2005, 07:45 PM
12/21/05

Squats (+10 lbs)
45 x 8
115 x 5
125 x 5
135 x 5
145 x 5
155 x 5

Incline Bench (+10 lbs)
45 x 8
95 x 5
145 x 5
145 x 5
145 x 5
145 x 5
145 x 5 - NO PROBLEM!

T-Bar Rows (+10 lbs)
45 x 8
95 x 5
95 x 5
95 x 5
95 x 5
95 x 5

Extras - Calf Raise (Sled)
2 PPS x 20 - Speed Reps
2 PPS x 20 - Speed Reps

---------------------
NEXT FOR ROUTINE C:
Inclines: +5 lbs
T-Bar Rows: +10 lbs
---------------------

I'm very happy with tonight's workout. Rows and squats were great, blah blah blah. But I hit all five sets of inclines with ease! I was really unsure if I would make a 10 lbs increase over last session, but I did. An increase for me on any type of pressing exercise for chest is a huge win. I also added some calf work for the hell of it. They need some attention, and I'm not sure squats and deads are going to do the trick. That's all for now.

Coke
12-22-2005, 05:42 AM
Too many people need to work on their calves more, lol - my self included...nice work on them big 3 moves.

Anthony
12-22-2005, 05:56 AM
Good work, Tim!

-TIM-
12-22-2005, 04:32 PM
CoCoa - The calves are thanking me today. It was a much needed addition.

Anthony - You mean, good work for a guy weaker than your gf, right? :p

getfit
12-22-2005, 05:35 PM
well done on the incline tim.

SW
12-22-2005, 06:46 PM
All 5 sets of incline with ease? Hell yeah! Time to explode buddy, in strength and size. Noticeing any size gains yet?

-TIM-
12-22-2005, 08:58 PM
gf - Thank you! I feel great about the increase.

Nick - My legs are noticeably bigger, and my shirts are just a little more snug. I haven't weighed myself in a week or so, but I'm definitely making some moves in the right direction.

-TIM-
12-26-2005, 11:50 AM
12/26/05

Squats (+10 lbs)
45 x 8
135 x 5
165 x 5
165 x 5
165 x 5
165 x 5
165 x 5

Incline Bench
45 x 8
45 x 8
105 x 5
115 x 5
125 x 5
135 x 5
145 x 5

T-Bar Rows
Bar x 8
55 x 5
65 x 5
75 x 5
85 x 5
95 x 5

Extras - Dips
BW x 6
BW x 6

----------------
Next For Routine A
Squats: +5-10 lbs.
----------------

Everything felt pretty heavy today due to a light breakfast. I didn't eat much because the fridge was low and I didn't have much for food. I've been on the run all weekend with the holiday, and grocery shopping was the last thing on my mind. I added a few sets of dips, but they killed my shoulders. The hand placement on our dip stand is kind of wide, and put a lot of stress on my shoulders as a result. I won't be doing those again.

Coke
12-26-2005, 12:09 PM
Great post xmas work, you keep moving on with it...props for being able to follow through this way with 5 x 5, its gonna be interesting to see what else you may incorporate.

-TIM-
12-26-2005, 10:40 PM
Thanks CoCoa. Hopefully I'll start seeing some size gains pretty soon. So far the only changes have been in strength. I'll keep plugging away though.

My GF just got a digital camera for Xmas and I took some photos today. I'll be able to post them sometime this week as the official before pics. I'll finally have a way to visually track my progress. I've never been big on taking measurements.

getfit
12-27-2005, 02:50 AM
looking forward to the pics tim, hope you had a nice hoilday :)

TTT
12-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Workouts are looking great. Happy Holidays and New Year!
Smart move taking it easy on the dips. I injured my rotator cuff on those (probably on a set of bars that was too wide, too) a year ago.

harv
12-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Nice post-Christmas workout Tim.
Merry Christmas - happy New Year!

ericg
12-28-2005, 05:53 AM
The last few sessions are looking good Tim. Keep it up bro.

Pup
12-28-2005, 06:39 AM
Good work in here Tim...keep it up.

-TIM-
12-28-2005, 07:56 AM
gf - I can't say I'm all too happy about posting pics, but I need a point of reference. I guess they're not too bad :p. Thanks for the holiday cheer.

3T - Thanks, and Happy Holidays to you too! Shoulders can take a beating on dips sometimes. It's too bad because it's a great exercise to throw in for a routine like mine.

harv - Merry ChristmaKwanzaaHanukkah to you my good latman. Workouts have been feeling goooood :thumbup:

ericg - Mucho Gracias. The weights keep going up, so all is good.

Pup - Thanks Pup! "Keep it up" <-- will do.

Next scheduled workout is tomorrow night around 8:00 p.m. when the GF gets off work. I'll have her watch the little man while I slip away for a quicky.

Mik
12-28-2005, 09:30 AM
I'll be watching for the pics Tim.

You still happy with the 5x5?

-TIM-
12-28-2005, 09:38 AM
Yes. It's perfect because I'm only able to get to the gym once every 3 days on average. Doing a full body routine keeps my potential for growth open. Any type of 3 or 4 day split would mean I would only target major muscle groups once every 9 days or more. Not enough for growth. I'm making some progress, so it seems to be doing the trick. I'm very happy with it.

Thanks for the post Mik!

-TIM-
12-28-2005, 05:47 PM
I just talked to one of the MMA guys at our gym about their training, and he said I could probably train with the team for free since our gym sponsers their fighters. They're style is primarily Ju Jitsu, which I've been interested in learning more about. Can anybody tell me about the basics, or what to expect? I know we have a lot of guys here that do it.

getfit
12-28-2005, 06:32 PM
that's intersting Tim, i shall start this coming spring and thai box, i'm looking forward to my journey of pain :p

MM
12-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Dammit, everyone here is doing MMA now. I want to do it. Bad-like.

-TIM-
12-28-2005, 09:54 PM
Dammit, everyone here is doing MMA now. I want to do it. Bad-like.I've had an itch since seeing a live show last November. I was ring-side, which was literally against the cage. Freakin' awesome! But I don't want to fight, only train for self defense.

-TIM-
12-28-2005, 10:34 PM
Okay I said I had some photos and here they are. These are the only ones I've taken in the last few years, and will serve as my before photos. For anyone out of the loop, I'm 6'3" and 183 lbs as of about 3 weeks ago. I may be a few pounds heavier. And yes, I know I gotsta eat. I'm trying to bulk :D

Coke
12-29-2005, 05:58 AM
Good physique...yes it would be a good idea to make some gains but do it gradually because you are nice and lean.

ericg
12-29-2005, 06:05 AM
nice pics bro. Looks like you have large lats judging from the front pic, where is the back pic??

-TIM-
12-29-2005, 07:59 AM
CoCoa - I don't think I could fatten up if I tried. Being lean is all I know. Thanks for the compliment.

ericg - Thanks man. I was in a hurry when I took these the other day, but I'll get a back pic up in the next day or two.

Are these pictures too dark? They looked fine at home, but they almost look too dark now that I'm on another computer. I used a sepia (sp?) tone just to mask how white I am, so that darkened them some.

Anthony
12-29-2005, 08:09 AM
Looks like you have a solid base to work with, Tim. Where are the workouts, though??

-TIM-
12-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks Anthony. Having a solid base is the story of my life. :rolleyes:

The workouts are coming. I got one in on Monday, and will get another one in tonight. I had to work Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. between both jobs, so I didn't have a chance to go in. I've been averaging a workout once every 3 days. Doesn't seem too bad since it's full body, and I'm definitely getting stronger. This routine is working perfectly with my schedule. Thanks again for all your help.

Mik
12-29-2005, 09:12 AM
Lookin' good Tim. I wish I was that lean. Bastartd! :)
It's hard to tell but it looks like you've got some good calves.

-TIM-
12-29-2005, 09:37 AM
Someone else asked about the calves too. They're in proportion, that's about it. I don't think there is one area of my body that is way behind, or way ahead. That's one thing I'm happy about. I obviously want more size, it's just a matter of packing it on.

What about the legs everyone? Do they seem to be about right for where my upper body is?

Utopianhopes
12-29-2005, 11:12 AM
I still think I can kick your arse. Get bigger and I might have to think twice about it.

-TIM-
12-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Don't make me come over there and bust you over the head :shoot:

:cool:

-TIM-
12-29-2005, 11:51 PM
12/29/05

Squats (+5 lbs)
45 x 8
65 x 8
115 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5 - 70%

Military Press (+5 lbs)
45 x 8
85 x 5
85 x 5
85 x 5
85 x 5
85 x 5

Deadlifts (+10 lbs)
135 x 5
215 x 5
215 x 5
215 x 5
215 x 5
215 x 5

Pull Ups - Neutral Grip (+5 lbs)
10 x 5
10 x 5
10 x 5
10 x 5
10 x 5

---------------------
NEXT WORKOUT:
Military Press: +5 lbs
Dead Lifts: +10 lbs
Chins: +5 lbs
---------------------

Tonight's workout was really long. I ended up getting stuck talking to various people and it took almost 1.5 hours to get through this. I guess the downfall of working at a gym is sometimes people want to say hello. Deads kind of sucked. I keep coming down with the weight at an angle, and the right side hits before the left and throws me off for the next rep. It's basically touch and go. I think it's because something is out of place in my back. Everything else felt good. I didn't think I was going to make the last set for chins, but they ended up being fine. Next workout should be sometime Saturday.

Clifford Gillmore
12-30-2005, 07:28 AM
I'm sure when you hit 220lbs everyone will leave you alone, especially when you start brushing the dust of the 100lbs dumb bells :P Solid looking workouts, all nice and balanced!

Coke
12-30-2005, 07:38 AM
Props for getting sessions in with such a grueling schedule...you do indeed have some muscular quads dude.

TTT
12-30-2005, 08:23 AM
We have almost exactly the same build, except I think you're maybe a tiny bit leaner.
Good job on the workout.

f=ma
12-30-2005, 08:26 AM
nice effort man

good progress on the squats

-TIM-
12-30-2005, 08:35 AM
Risk10k - 210-220 lbs is where I'd like to get to and probably maintain. It's going to take a lot of hard work, but I'm up for it. And yes, nobody would **** with me then. Not that they do now, cuz I'm such a nice guy.

CoCoa - Thanks for the props. Anthony was giving me **** about not getting in, so I had no choice but to shut him up :D. I was beat last night too. I'm supposed to work at the gym once I leave my day job today, but I'm not sure my body is going to hold up.

3T - What's up stranger? I am a bit leaner...and a lot sexier too. :cool:

f=ma - I'm pleased with my squat progress so far. I guess that's what doing them 2-3 times a week does for you :thumbup:

getfit
12-30-2005, 08:56 AM
nice work Tim, have a great new year, all the best to you and your son :)

-TIM-
12-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Thanks gf. Have a great new year as well.

Anthony
12-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Having a solid base is a good thing. You have an athletic build and it's obvious you can go in whatever direction you want - you just gotta stay consistent with the eating and training. No prob with the routine ... if something works for me, I tend to spread the word as much as I can. :D

-TIM-
12-30-2005, 01:11 PM
What I need to do is outline some specific goals. Maybe 1 lb per week. I think that's reasonable. That would put me at about 190 lbs by the first part of February, and around 200 lbs by April-May. I would **** myself if I could get to 200 lbs before summer.

I will weight myself at the gym on Saturday and then outline everything. Damn I'm getting excited!

-TIM-
01-01-2006, 07:13 PM
Okay I was bad today. I skipped my workout for tackle football with the guys. 5 on 5 on the high school football field in the mud. Fun as hell. I'm going to be sore tomorrow. The only thing that sucks is I got kicked in the shin with a metal spike right on the sharp part of the bone. It took a few minutes to walk off, and it's swollen as hell. Should look nice in the morning. I'll try and get up early tomorrow before the Iowa bowl game and get into the gym. Squats are going to suck if my leg is sore. I'll suck it up though.

f=ma
01-02-2006, 01:49 PM
happy new year tim

-TIM-
01-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Injury Report

Well this sucks. I'm not going to the gym right now due to a bum knee and shoulder after last Sunday's football game with the guys. As I said before, I got cleated in the shin, but I'm fairly certain I hurt my knee on that same play. My foot was planted during the collision, and I felt me knee twist on impact. I couldn't straighten it when I tried to get up, but the shin pain was worse than my knee at the time, so I didn't focus on it. The knee swelled a little that night, and I've been going easy on it since then. Which means no squats right now. To make matters worse, my shoulder is acting up as well. Nerve damage is a bitch. I have to work at the gym tonight, but I'm going to attempt getting to the gym tomorrow and soak in the hot tub, then do some light maintenance work to ease back into things.

On a good note, my food intake has been going well. I did some grocery shopping and purchased a lot of high carb items. I've been bringing 2 additional meals to work too, so I'm getting extra calories in during the day.

Goals

I'm going to weigh myself again, and then lay out my goals and timeline for getting up to 200 lbs. I'm thinking a lb per week will be reasonable. I also want to test my max lifts again, and hope to break each of those by 10-15 lbs. I'm just not sure when to set my test date. Probably not for another month. That's all for now. Off to eat.

Coke
01-04-2006, 09:58 AM
Doing some light maintenance work is really the only way to go in these type situations, sorry to hear of this setback which I hope will be very brief...the one good thing to come of it is you can sit back a little and make assessments.

muscleup
01-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Sorry to hear about your injury Tim.
Why the heck are you guys playing in metal cleats?
Get better-

getfit
01-04-2006, 11:26 AM
hope you get better soon, i know these kind of injuries are hard

-TIM-
01-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks everyone :)

muscleup - I think there are only 1 or 2 guys that have metal spike cleats, so nobody really thinks too much about it. And the knee injury would have happened no matter what the guy was wearing. Although the gashes on my shin wouldn't be so bad if they were soft spikes :rolleyes:.

-TIM-
01-05-2006, 10:08 PM
1/5/06 - Weight 185.2 lbs

Squats (+10 lbs)
45 x 8
95 x 5
125 x 5
135 x 5
145 x 5
155 x 5
165 x 5

Incline Bench (+5 lbs)
45 x 8
95 x 5
150 x 5
150 x 5
150 x 5
150 x 5
150 x 5 - Felt Heavy

T-Bar Rows (+10 lbs)
45 x 8
105 x 5
105 x 5
105 x 5
105 x 5
105 x 5

---------------------
NEXT FOR ROUTINE C:
Inclines: No Change
T-Bar Rows: +5 lbs
---------------------

Good workout tonight. The knee felt good too. Inclines were pretty heavy, but I hit the last set without assistance. Not much else to add, except I put on almost 2 lbs since I last weighed myself. I think I'll outline my weight goals in my sig and track the progress there.

Clifford Gillmore
01-06-2006, 03:54 AM
Nice solid work out man, awesome looking gains in the sig too! I wish I had been recording mine instead of just going 'oh..' everytime I looked at the scakes :P

getfit
01-06-2006, 03:56 AM
nice Tim, looking strong.

Coke
01-06-2006, 05:04 AM
If you could meet those set weight gain goals that would be awesome - good luck!!...nice workout TIM.

muscleup
01-06-2006, 07:39 AM
Roughly 3.75lbs per month is a good goal Tim. So good in fact, I might use it. :)
Might want to talk to you about a 5x5 in 2 weeks once I finish my current program. (if that's cool)

-TIM-
01-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Risk10k - GF- CoCoa - Thank you, and thank you again.

muscleup - I'm basically shooting for 1 lb per week until I hit 200 lbs. I've done it before and got myself up to 196 lbs, so I think this is reasonable. Feel free to PM me with any questions on my routine too. I basically got the layout from Anthony, and a bunch of good suggestions from everyone else when I started this journal. It's been an amazing workout for me so far. I think you're going to like it.

-TIM-
01-08-2006, 08:50 PM
1/8/06

Squats (+5 lbs)
45 x 8
135 x 5
170 x 5
170 x 5
170 x 5
170 x 5
170 x 5

Incline Bench (+5 lbs)
45 x 8
45 x 8
110 x 5
120 x 5
130 x 5
140 x 5
150 x 5

T-Bar Rows (+10 lbs)
45 x 8
65 x 5
75 x 5
85 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 5

----------------
Next For Routine A
Squats: +5 lbs.
----------------

Had a few issues with my back today, but I was able to finish everything as scheduled. My knee felt good during squats, so I think I'm close to 100% again. Something tightened up in my right trap during t-bar rows, and I had a huge knot. Fortunately the gf was able to work most of it out. Next workout should be Tuesday since I work Monday and Wednesday.

Anthony
01-09-2006, 03:28 AM
Weights are looking good, Tim. Can't say the same about you, though. :D

getfit
01-09-2006, 07:59 AM
nice looking squats Tim,t-bar rows are getting there sweet!:D

Coke
01-09-2006, 08:20 AM
Climbing up 5 to 10 pounds on them movements are ace Tim, fine job.

Clifford Gillmore
01-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Nice progression there mr. Nissen.

f=ma
01-09-2006, 09:30 AM
very nice progression tim.. keep it up bro

-TIM-
01-09-2006, 11:58 AM
Anthony - Well at least I can work on looking good from the neck down :p

getfit - T-bar rows are coming along nicely. I have nightmares about you outdoing me in them, so I'm using that as motivation.

CoCoa - The increases are starting to slow down a bit, but I'll be happy as long as they keep moving in the right direction. Thanks!

Risk10k - Progress is always good. Been looking solid yourself.

f=ma - Will do :thumbup:

I'm horribly sick right now. I took the entire day off, which sucks because I was supposed to work tonight at the gym, so I'm losing much needed hours. Fortunately I'm salary at my day job, so I'm not loosing any cash flow there. I'm running a fever, which I almost never do. I'm drinking a lot of fluids and had a sandwich and soup for lunch. Can't let anything get in the way of my weight goals. It will have to be a very light workout tomorrow if I do make it in.

MM
01-09-2006, 12:44 PM
I'm horribly sick right now. I took the entire day off, which sucks because I was supposed to work tonight at the gym, so I'm losing much needed hours. Fortunately I'm salary at my day job, so I'm not loosing any cash flow there. I'm running a fever, which I almost never do. I'm drinking a lot of fluids and had a sandwich and soup for lunch. Can't let anything get in the way of my weight goals. It will have to be a very light workout tomorrow if I do make it in.

Dude, 'tis the ****ing season. I have an eye infection and a cold, but that's better than the flu. Get better soon.

muscleup
01-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Nice squats Tim.

I'm sick as well. I cheated so bad the last 2 days trying to get my calorie intake up, I think I am definatly going to hell.
Dairy is teh suck when sick and without milk intake cals are hard to come by. :(

Get better bro.

-TIM-
01-09-2006, 03:09 PM
MM & muscleup - Thanks guys. Yeah, this is the season alright. My son has had pneumonia, my GF missed 3 days of class and work with a cold, and her sister had strep throat last week. Everybody around me is freakin' sick.

On a bright note, I cashed out most of my online bankroll and moved it over to my savings account. I had $5.00 in bonus cash to use so I've been playing on only that over the weekend. Right now I've turned that $5.00 into $313. That's only about 5-6 hours worth of play time too. So that's keeping my spirits up. Man I love online poker.

-TIM-
01-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Well this sucks. I've missed the last two days of work because I've been horribly ill. I went to the doctor yesterday and found out that I have strep throat. I feel miserable right now and I want to die.

Coke
01-11-2006, 10:29 AM
I'm not trying to make light of your situation, but this is the time to chill and regroup...you'll resume better than ever.

ericg
01-11-2006, 11:21 AM
The weights are looking good man! How is the throat feeling?

f=ma
01-11-2006, 01:56 PM
get better soon man

-TIM-
01-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks guys. My throat is pretty sore, but it's not as bad as it was yesterday. My only concern is that I haven't been able to eat much. My diet has consisted mostly of water and popsicles. I was weighed at the doctor yesterday and it looks like I've dropped the few pounds I've gained since starting my bulk, or whatever you want to call it. So that pisses me off. But no excuses, I'm going to hit 200 before April is over, not matter what.

MM
01-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks guys. My throat is pretty sore, but it's not as bad as it was yesterday. My only concern is that I haven't been able to eat much. My diet has consisted mostly of water and popsicles. I was weighed at the doctor yesterday and it looks like I've dropped the few pounds I've gained since starting my bulk, or whatever you want to call it. So that pisses me off. But no excuses, I'm going to hit 200 before April is over, not matter what.

Eh, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I got very sick sometime in October, dropped all the way down to 192/191. But after I recovered, I gained weight faster than ever and was able to retain it better than ever. I think you'll get those few pounds back easily enough.

Clifford Gillmore
01-12-2006, 04:12 AM
Sorry to hear about the throat man, I feel you on the popsicles. Liquids are your friend right about now.

getfit
01-12-2006, 04:51 AM
sorry to hear that Tim,i just got over a tummy bug and it was god awful couldn't eat for 3 days, hope you'll feel better soon :)

Anthony
01-12-2006, 05:12 AM
The sore throat joke would be too easy ... so ... get well soon bud.

Mik
01-12-2006, 07:27 AM
The sore throat joke would be too easy ... so ... get well soon bud.

LOL. Hope it's feeling better soon Tim.

-TIM-
01-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks everybody. I'm feeling much better today. My throat started to feel a little better yesterday and I ate a ton of food for dinner. I gotta stay on top of this so I can keep making weight gains.

Anthony - You're right, a sore throat joke would be too easy. :cool:

Clifford Gillmore
01-13-2006, 04:22 AM
Good to hear its getting on its way big guy.

TTT
01-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Glad to hear you're feeling better. I lost a lot of weight from the 'flu recently, too. It's a bastard. You go for 200lbs by the end of April, and I'll go for 210 :) It'll be a much easier competition to monitor than the year-long one we had last year.