PDA

View Full Version : I'm the strongest guy on this forum...

ufc2005
11-20-2005, 10:37 AM
......in my dreams of course :D

So I've decided to start a journal on here. I have been maintaining one on my computer for the last 9 months or so, but posting here where I'm gonna be under the microscope of the world's strongest, biggest and baddest mofos has to be infinitely better :P

I'm 29 yo, 6'0, 185lbs at 18-19% bf. I workout at home alone in my power rack. All my maxes at this point are estimated, as I don't max out too often.

Bench: 235, Squat: 250( I know I know, world record material for sure), Deadlift: 335.

Saturday Nov 19th, 2005

Flat Bench:
205 * 5 * 5.

I'm pretty sure I can bench 210 * 5 * 5 but I switched to 5x5 today after doing 10 * 3 for the last 3 weeks and didn't go all out. One of my immediate goals is to be able to bench 225 * 5 * 5 ASAP. I've always dreamed of never having to work out with anything less than 2 pps.

And don't worry, I'm squatting 5x5 2x a week, since a more important goal of mine is to squat 5x5 with 315. That looks really far away though :(

Bent over barbell rows:
200 * 5 * 5

hulkinout
11-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Keep up the good work man. Stay focused on the prize.

ufc2005
11-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Thanks hulkinout. Whereabouts in NYC are you at?

ufc2005
11-20-2005, 11:36 AM
Sunday Nov 20th, 2005

Squats:

8 sets of 220 * 5

315 * 5 seems like it's eons away. Oh well, 6 months ago I was squatting 115, so I know that if I keep it up, it'll come sooner or later.

I usually do leg extensions but I'm gonna stay away from them for a few weeks to see if the knee pain I've been feeling lately stems from the extensions or the squats.

Was gonna do some SLDLs today, but I gotta go out. My legs are dead anyway from all the squatting.

ufc2005
11-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Monday Nov 21st, 2005

Close grip bench press (6-7 inches between my hands):
160 * 5
165 * 5
170 * 5
175 * 5
180 * 5

Skullcrushers with ezcurl bar:
65 * 8
70 * 8
75 * 8, left elbow started to hurt a bit

Barbell curls:
90 * 8
95 * 8
100 * 8

ufc2005
11-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Dang...it's so crowded in here....ppl please..don't barge in all at the same time...i'm gonna have to start chargin an entry fee if the chaos doesn't stop!

-TIM-
11-21-2005, 07:30 PM
I would bet the knee soreness is coming from the leg extensions. I believe going slightly past parellel on squats also helps to relieve some of the stress on the knee joint.

Keep at them and you'll hit that 315 lb goal for squirts. Good luck.

bschatz88
11-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Nice workout dude. CGBP is lookin' mean as hell, as are the bb curls. Keep it up.

ufc2005
11-21-2005, 07:59 PM
Tim, thanks man. Yeah I read a lotta posts here about leg extensions placing a lotta stress on the knees, so I figured the pain is most probably from them. But, I haven't been squatting for too long, so there's a chance my form is slightly off. I am definitely going a decent amount past parallel, so hopefully the pain goes away.

Bschatz, thanks bro. I've become somewhat of a triceps and anterior delts bencher. I really should widen my grip on flat presses, but it's tough for me to do cuz I can't press as much. It's something that I know will pay off in the long run but just haven't started doing yet. As for the curls, I used to be a curl jockey a long time ago lol. I only recently started working my bis again, even tho i've been workin out for about 10 months, and my bis got stronger even without focusing on them. I really don't give a **** about my bicep strength though. I just wanna be strong as hell in the big 3. Speaking of which, you're roughly my build and have much better lifts than me. Awesome dude! I hope to catch up some day.

Built
11-21-2005, 08:05 PM
For leg extensions, try this:

Don't go all the way down. Only keep the top third of the movement. This should avoid the knee stress problem. They're brutal this way too - you have to keep constant stress on the quad - drop the weight down. This isn't a heavy movement. Slow and controlled - a tempo I like to use is "one to go up, hold for one, lower to a count of two".

ufc2005
11-21-2005, 08:12 PM
Hey Built..thanks for your advice and I'm honored you decided to visit ..you're a legend on this forum :)

I actually was doing the extensions somewhat like the way you advocated. I wasn't going down all the way, but I may have been repping a tad too fast. My knees really have been hurting though, so I think I'll stay away from the extensions for a week or two. If the pain is still there, I'm gonna have to revisit my squat form. Perhaps post a vid and get you guys to analyze it..

The pain is kinda weird. I don't feel any pain when I'm walking. I usually feel it when I've been sitting down for a while and then stand up. Like a few mins ago, I was on my sofa with my legs outstretched and horizontal on my coffee table. When I stood up, my knees ached. Bummer.

bschatz88
11-21-2005, 08:39 PM
Thanks dude, your lifts will get there soon enough.

What's your diet like right now? Just curious

Chubrock
11-21-2005, 08:42 PM
Lookin pretty strong man. Since you've got the name UFC, you fight at all?

ufc2005
11-21-2005, 09:08 PM
bschatz, hmm..i'm kinda just winging it as far as my diet goes...classic beginner's inertia :)

I really should start paying close attention to diet and start tracking it though to maximize my gains...

I usually have 5 meals a day..for instance, today I had 2 EAS myoplex shakes..one as soon as I woke up and another when I got home from work...oatmeal for bkfast..2 glasses of milk..chicken and rice for lunch..and rice with beef cubes for dinner..not sure how many calories are in all that..I have been gaining weight though...i usually weigh in at exactly 185 as soon as I wake up..and 188 before I goto bed..

Chubrock, thanks bro. Your squats, chins and dips put me to shame..awesome stuff..
Yes I am a fan of the UFC and pride, couldn't really think of a nickname so I ended up just picking this in the spur of the moment.. I don't train though..I'm just a deadly keyboard warrior :D I need to get a directv descrambler..i've probably dropped 2grand in the last few yrs on PPVs...and I don't even record them..can u believe that..what a fool i am.. You train MMA?

tigo
11-21-2005, 09:33 PM
very nice lifts... cgbp is crazy high

and i think your max bp might be higher than 235 if you do 205 5x5

very nice though

bschatz88
11-22-2005, 11:25 AM
Yeah man, as long as you're constantly gaining weight, that's the main thing. Make sure you're postworkout nutrition is on lockdown too.

If you stop making gains, you're not eating enough, simple as that.
Can't wait to see what your next workout looks like bro

ufc2005
11-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Albanator, thanks man. I don't really like maxing, cuz most of the time when I do, I end up trying too much and failing, and all that does is demoralize me. I'm not gonna max again on flat BP until I can do 5 sets of 225 * 5. Which could be several months away.

Bryan, I hear ya. I'm getting better as far as nutrition goes, but I have a long ways to go. I gotta start using fitday. Otherwise it's just so hard to keep track of everything.

Wednesday Nov 23rd, 2005

Incline Bench Press:
160 * 5
165 * 5
170 * 5
175 * 5
180 * 5, 5th rep was tough as hell. Cheated a bit to complete the rep. I improved on this by 5lbs from the previous week. Last week I started with 155 and ended with 175. I'm probably gonna do a pyramid like this for incline benching, until progression becomes difficult. I've been able to go up by abt 5lbs a week at inclines cuz I just started doing them recently and didn't really know how much I was capable of doing. I'll probably switch to a 5x5 rep scheme with the same weight soon, which is what I'm doing with most exercises. My inclines and close grip benches are too close to my flat bench, which probably indicates I'm mostly a triceps/anterior delts bencher. Not good.

Squats: 5x5
220 * 5
220 * 5
220 * 5
220 * 5
220 * 5
These felt a little tougher than Sunday when I did 8 sets with this weight. But that's probably because I did them today after getting home from work. And I'm never at my strongest on weekday evenings. Also, I try to get 2 squat workouts(approx 13 working sets) with a specific weight before trying to move up by 5lbs. It's been working well so far. Seems like doing this allows my muscles/tendons time to get accustomed to the weight. Besides I have a hip injury and don't want to rush things. Next workout I'll bump to 225.

Lateral DB raises:
35 * 8 * 2, could definitely go heavier, but all I have is one 35lb dumbell.

Front DB raises:
35 * 8 * 2. Again, I could go heavier on these if I had heavier DBs.

Ending weight 186.5lbs.

One problem I have working out at home in my power rack, is keeping up the intensity. Often I'll quit after doing 2 or 3 exercises. I just can't do that ****.

muscleup
11-23-2005, 06:13 PM
One problem I have working out at home in my power rack, is keeping up the intensity. Often I'll quit after doing 2 or 3 exercises. I just can't do that ****.
Blast that radio. Really get into it. Don't half Śss it and then go watch tv.

If you can only stay focused enough to get in 2-3 lifts, switch to an upper/lower split and shoot for 4lifts at least. Shouldn't take longer than 45mins even if you are doing 5x5.

Now lets see some SLDL's next time! And do some BB lunges while letting the leg extension machine rot.
Get pumped man!
Do what Rick Flair does. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :D

bschatz88
11-23-2005, 08:32 PM
Nice inclines dude

Chubrock
11-23-2005, 10:42 PM
Nice lookin squats man. How deep ya goin? I train BJJ, but not MMA, at least as of now.

ufc2005
11-24-2005, 08:22 AM
muscleup, solid advice bro..i usually have the tv going and not the radio...which results in me occasionally taking breaks that are a little too long ;) From now on, I'll try the radio. As for my split, I have a split that I came up with which involves me lifting 5x a week. It's been great strength wise, so I'm gonna experiment with it a little longer. Then maybe switch to something more conventional.

bschatz, thanks man..i hurt my right shoulder on that last set..I've had a nagging right shoulder issue for some time..I usually feel a little pain on my 1st set which goes away after that. The pain actually had almost gone away completely for the last several months, but it looks like it might have resurfaced. It was my fault though, I didn't warm up when doing those inclines. Jumped right into 160 and paid the price.

Chubrock, thanks bud. I go about 2 or 3 inches past parallel. I actually have a pretty bad right hip injury(torn labrum). That injury basically doesn't heal on it's own. The doc told me not to squat period, but my legs are my weakest body part and there's no way I can keep away from squatting. I always feel some pain in the right hip when squatting but I've learned to live with it. I don't think I'm aggravating the injury though which is good. Also, out of all the exercises I'm doing, squats, without a doubt, is where I'm progressing the fastest. I only started squatting in July, when I was using 115lbs. I hope to get to repping 315 in the next 6 months.

ufc2005
11-24-2005, 08:29 AM
Hey guys..how do I change the title of my journal?

ufc2005
11-27-2005, 02:17 PM
Sunday Nov 27th, 2005

Squats: I got greedy this session and wanted to see how far I could go. I usually do 5x5 with the same weight but couldnít resist seeing how much I could do today.
135 * 3 warmup
205 * 5 warmup
225 * 5
235 * 5 PR
245 * 3, failed on 4th, thank god for safety spotters. PR
225 * 5
230 * 5

SLDLs: 1st time doing these in ages and so I took them easy. Felt good and pretty easy. Will start out much higher next time.
135 * 8
165 * 8
185 * 8
205 * 8
225 * 6

Extensions: Going easy due to knee issues. I usually do 3 sets of 180, the max I can load up on my leg extension bench attachment. Did these super slow and did not go all the way down as per Builtís suggestion.
135 * 10
160 * 10
160 * 10

bschatz88
11-27-2005, 05:35 PM
Nice squattin' man! Pushin the ****ing limits, that's what I like to see :evillaugh

ufc2005
11-27-2005, 05:39 PM
Thanks Bryan :) When you do 5x5 for a while with the same weight, the urge to test your limits eventually reaches a critical point! I felt stronger today, which is probably cuz I've been eating like a pig the last few days.

Coke
11-29-2005, 10:31 AM
Keep eating like crazy and getting stronger, so far so good...it would be a good idea to keep legs on Sunday for example as a solid guideline to work around and throw the other body parts within the week, just a suggestion. No doubt that whatever you do is gonna be fine, its nice to see someone new get moving and gradually rise up.

97muscle
11-29-2005, 10:47 AM
Just a little humor in my heading. Hey bro we sound to be pretty close in overall body size. I think that your lifts look pretty good. And nice way to pull people into your journal with that heading. Talk to you later

ufc2005
11-29-2005, 10:54 AM
Thank you for stopping by Cocoa - I hope I get to be half as strong as you one day!

You are right Cocoa. I've been doing the typical noob thing, which is to experiment with half a dozen splits without much consistency. I've been doing a 5 day split for the last couple of months with pretty decent results, but yesterday I read up on the classic dual factor 5x5 program, and I have decided to go with that program for now. This time, I promise to stick with it. At least for one 9 week cycle :D

Again, welcome to my journal. Your lifts and character are truly inspirational!

ufc2005
11-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Hey 97muscle - welcome to the journal bro. I was totally joking about the title in the hope that someone would stop in for a peek. I hope it didn't rub off on any people the wrong way! I want to change the title, but dont know how to :(

And bro, the only thing we have in common is height and weight. That's where the similarities end. I'm at 20% bf :D. And I just saw your pics. You're lean and ripped! Which is why you can outlift me by hundreds of pounds haha. Maybe one day I'll get there :)

Just a little humor in my heading. Hey bro we sound to be pretty close in overall body size. I think that your lifts look pretty good. And nice way to pull people into your journal with that heading. Talk to you later

97muscle
11-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Hey 97muscle - welcome to the journal bro. I was totally joking about the title in the hope that someone would stop in for a peek. I hope it didn't rub off on any people the wrong way! I want to change the title, but dont know how to :(

And bro, the only thing we have in common is height and weight. That's where the similarities end. I'm at 20% bf :D. And I just saw your pics. You're lean and ripped! Which is why you can outlift me by hundreds of pounds haha. Maybe one day I'll get there :)

No bro I think your headline is freakin awesome, if it rubs someone the wrong way they need to get a sense of humor. Thanks for the comps. on the photos, I am currently bulking to about 200-205. I hope to be there by April or so, I am trying to do it without gaining a whole bunch of fat. Talk to you later

ufc2005
11-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Tuesday Nov 29th, 2005

5x5 Close grip barbell bench press (6Ē separation between hands):
135 * 5 warmup
165 * 5
170 * 5
175 * 5
180 * 5, so damn difficult.
185 * 3, so tough. Took 6-7 seconds to push that last rep up.

Lying ezbar skullcrushers:
75 * 5
80 * 8
85 * 5
I could probably go heavier on these if I started with them, but my tris were really fatigued after the close grip presses.

Standing ezbar curls:
100 * 6
105 * 8
110 * 5
Iíve often heard ppl in the forums say that they donít work their biceps and they get bigger and stronger anyway from the compound movements they do. This has happened to me as well.

getfit
11-29-2005, 04:44 PM
hey, nothing wrong with working biceps.For me, the less direct arm work i do the better but that's just me :)

i pull and press enough ;)

ufc2005
11-29-2005, 05:13 PM
You pull and press MORE than enough GF ;)

I'm only doing some arm work now in the hope that it will help some of my other lifts.

And thanks for stoppin by :) I just realized you're Canadian too. There are quite a few of us on this forum...

hey, nothing wrong with working biceps.For me, the less direct arm work i do the better but that's just me :)

i pull and press enough ;)

Coke
11-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Luv the determination with the last sets of close grips UFC, nice ez bar work as well.

ufc2005
11-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks a lot Cocoa. Looking forward to seeing your next monstrous workout.

ufc2005
11-30-2005, 12:52 PM
Hey guys and gals. Here's a pic of my baby.

http://www.putfile.com/ufc2005

getfit
11-30-2005, 12:54 PM
oh, that's pretty sweet, you wanna sell it too me ;)

ufc2005
11-30-2005, 12:56 PM
Free for you, but only if you can farmer's walk all the weights back to your place ;)

getfit
11-30-2005, 12:59 PM
excellent :D

Chubrock
11-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Nice lookin set up man. I wish I had a spot where I stay to get a good power rack and some rubber weights. Oh well, I'll just stick to the university gym.

Anthony
11-30-2005, 01:28 PM
Nice close grips! What's your usual grip?

ufc2005
11-30-2005, 04:11 PM
Thanks bro. Seriously, my home gym was the best purchase of my life.

I'm looking to get something for cardio. Either a treadmill or a rowing machine. Haven't decided which one yet. Once I have that, I'll start letting ppl work out in my apartment for a fee.

Nice lookin set up man. I wish I had a spot where I stay to get a good power rack and some rubber weights. Oh well, I'll just stick to the university gym.

ufc2005
11-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks Anthony. My usual grip is 235-245. Not sure exactly how much cuz I don't really max out. What's the difference between your close and usual grip bench? I think my regular grip is a little closer than what it is for most ppl, and as a result, I've become more of a triceps/ant delts bencher. I need to widen my regular grip, but haven't done it yet. But I feel it's the right thing to do and that it will help my bench go up a lot in the long run. What do ya think?

Nice close grips! What's your usual grip?

Anthony
11-30-2005, 04:31 PM
I personally use a pretty close grip for my regular bench ... actually a trainer at the gym was spotting me and asked if I was doing close grips. I say go with how you feel strongest. Wider grip will decrease your range of motion, but for me it's not a natural movement. As for the difference in weight, I'm not 100%, but I think my heaviest close grip was 305 and my heaviest bench was 325. Not much difference at all.

SW
11-30-2005, 05:27 PM
You're right, Canadians all aboot this place. You're right how compounds are better than iso lifts, but biceps are always fun to do :)

tigo
11-30-2005, 06:15 PM
thats a beautiful rack you got there man.. wish i had one too haha

edit: i just read what i wrote and it sounds weird :angel:

f=ma
11-30-2005, 06:56 PM
nice rack! haha

good lifting man.. real nice efforts

-TIM-
11-30-2005, 07:01 PM
Free for you, but only if you can farmer's walk all the weights back to your place ;)Pfft, she probably can.

I would love to have a setup like that at home.

ufc2005
11-30-2005, 07:07 PM
Nick, aint that the truth. The massive pump in your arms has to be one of the best pumps you can feel. I don't feel guilty workin them out now though cuz I'm no curl jockey :)

Albanator, it's okay, I forgive you. She is beautiful ;)

F=ma, thanks bro.

Tim, ya I know she could. Her strength is sumtin else. :)

ufc2005
11-30-2005, 08:59 PM
Anthony, I just measured what the distance between my hands is for my usual grip - it's 24". My pinkies are just touching the rings. I think most ppl go slightly wider than that (middle finger on rings or wider). The last time I tried going wide, I couldn't lift as much. It wasn't that it felt unnatural or anything. I think it was cuz my tris and ant delts no longer had to do as much, shifting more of the load onto my pecs which couldn't handle it. Perhaps I should try varying my grip every now and then when I bench.

I personally use a pretty close grip for my regular bench ... actually a trainer at the gym was spotting me and asked if I was doing close grips. I say go with how you feel strongest. Wider grip will decrease your range of motion, but for me it's not a natural movement. As for the difference in weight, I'm not 100%, but I think my heaviest close grip was 305 and my heaviest bench was 325. Not much difference at all.

tigo
11-30-2005, 10:14 PM
your grip is about the same as mine.. i find it weird to go farther than that

ufc2005
12-02-2005, 10:08 PM
http://media.putfile.com/IDHKDBAKDAD

a random clip of me flexin my back like a fool

SW
12-03-2005, 06:21 AM
Fool.

-TIM-
12-03-2005, 03:03 PM
You have some thickness to your back. Looks like you're moving in the right direction. What day are you starting your 5x5?

ufc2005
12-03-2005, 11:32 PM
Hey Tim. I have now officially jumped onto the 5x5 bandwagon.

If this program doesn't yield miraculous gains in size and strength, even if my diet and rest are crappy, I will hold you and Anthony primarily responsible :windup:

Saturday Dec 3rd, 2005
Starting dual factor 5x5 today. Godspeed to myself.

Flat Bench:
190 * 5
195 * 5
200 * 5
205 * 5
210 * 5
Next time I'll do 5x5 with the same weight.

Bent over barbell rows:
205 * 5
205 * 5
205 * 5
205 * 5
205 * 5
Tough, but I think I can get 210 next time for 5x5

Squats:
225 * 5
225 * 5
225 * 5
225 * 5
225 * 5
Did squats at the end. They're so physically demanding that I think they'd affect my bench and rowing if I started with them. Bench and rows don't really affect my squatting though.

Ending weight 187lbs.

tigo
12-04-2005, 01:02 AM
very nice 5x5 man
do you notice a diff between moving up weights in 5x5 though?
like your first workout where you go from 190 to 210

getfit
12-04-2005, 04:07 AM
i see the 5x5 has rubbed of on alot of members :D

nice

SW
12-04-2005, 06:11 AM
Yes many are now into it. It really does seem to work. ufc good session man, 5x5 offers some decent volume at mid weights. Perosnally, I'd do squats then bench. I used to do it that way and had no fatigue problems.

f=ma
12-04-2005, 07:25 AM
really nice rowing man. i dont think i could get 205x5x5. thats nasty

muscleup
12-04-2005, 10:31 AM
really nice rowing man. i dont think i could get 205x5x5. thats nasty
:withstupi
RowZilla

Anthony
12-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Did squats at the end. They're so physically demanding that I think they'd affect my bench and rowing if I started with them. Bench and rows don't really affect my squatting though.

On the days you are hitting a steady 5x5 for bench and rows, build up on squats. This is also another reason to lower your weights when starting - it gives you time to adjust to the workload so squatting before bench and rows won't be an issue. If my gf can do it, so can you. :windup:

Coke
12-05-2005, 05:18 AM
Just as your name implies you're about to kick much butt with it...keep on it man and step up your game - ;)

ufc2005
12-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Albanator: Thanks man. The dual factor 5x5 program calls for 1x5 on certain days, which means you do 5 sets of 5 reps, but using a pyramid instead of the same weight. You should read up on the program. I'll try and find the link for you..

Getfit: Rumor has it that you'll be hoppin on the 5x5 bandwagon too. Don't worry - there's plenty of room on board ;)

F=ma: Thanks bro, and I'm pretty sure you could do it too. You're a strong mofo :)

Muscleup: Rowzilla? Hardly. When I can row 315, you can call me that. haha. Besides, I really wanna be squatzilla, deadliftzilla and benchzilla.

Nick: Thanks dude. I'll try squatting 1st next time and see how the remainder of the session goes.

Anthony: Yes Sir. Next time I'll start with squats. And I vaguely remember reading in your journal that your g/f beat you at something recently. Wimp! ;)

CoCoa: Thanks man. I hope you're right ;)

getfit
12-05-2005, 03:56 PM
i've decided to keep my split for now, i'll wait till the new year to change things up :)

harv
12-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Another 5x5 convert...curious to see how it goes. :)
Nice call on squatting at the end....i'm COMPLETELY spent after squats.

Chubrock
12-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Nice looking session man. How'd your lifts feel? I know when I started my modified 5x5 I felt like I could get probably 7 for each set. I've been steadily progressing 10lbs for the last 5 weeks or so on it.