PDA

View Full Version : Starting High Level Soccer..........Maintain a bulk?

Nongan
11-21-2005, 08:10 PM
Ok guys, I'm just starting up some really competitive soccer here soon. I'll be training at least 2 times a week for 2 1/2 hrs per session, with a game once a week. Now I'm not talking about the soccer you see most kids play where its all nice and the coach is like: "ok guys, run 2 laps to warm-up." we typically warm-up with 2 miles of running, and then sets of crunches and push-ups, followed by national team sprints (run to the 5, back, 10, back, 15, back, etc. up to 50). We're training to take state this year, and then move on to regionals and possibly nationals, and I really enjoy it, so quitting isn't an option. But I'm kinda worried on how I'm gonna maintain a bulk. Ideas?

Shark
11-21-2005, 08:20 PM
Eat more?

anasthetic
11-21-2005, 09:18 PM
What he said.

Nongan
11-21-2005, 09:26 PM
lol, how do you compensate for 1.5k calories or so? i'm already stuffing myself at 3200 calories.

tigo
11-21-2005, 09:37 PM
add
a 2bsp of natty pb to each meal

that should add 1000 calories to your intake

Bohizzle
11-21-2005, 10:13 PM
if u can afford it, get some weight gainer.. if not, use peanut butter, oats, cottage cheese, milk, ice cream, fruit (avocado's are great) in a shake and it won't make u feel as full (just use it as a drink when ur eating ur dinner), and that should be a pretty good amount of calories...

Andrew

bigedge
11-22-2005, 04:49 AM
if you're doing that much exercise you will be a lot hungrier

ShockBoxer
11-22-2005, 08:38 AM
Put peanut butter or regular butter on EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth?

gator
11-22-2005, 08:51 AM
One thing you should really think about when bulking/cutting is sports. During season cutting is usually the best option because if you practice as much as you say going to the gym will be hard to fit in. Also why do you need to be bulky for soccer....lol Play some football then this would be a better discussion.

anasthetic
11-22-2005, 10:21 AM
During season cutting is usually the best option because if you practice as much as you say going to the gym will be hard to fit in. Also why do you need to be bulky for soccer....lol Play some football then this would be a better discussion.

Bulking and cutting is a function of diet first. You should be lifting just as much on a cut as on a bulk.

At the same time, I'd agree that soccer season is a great time to cut, since you will be forced to do all that cardio.

gator
11-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Of course you should be lifting all the time...but if for some reason you can't go to the gym as much it would be better to do that while on a cut.

LaxProdigy
11-22-2005, 01:41 PM
why would you bulk and try to gain weight if you play soccer, especially during the season? i don't think bulking up is going to improve any aspect of your soccer game.

Vegilles
11-22-2005, 09:06 PM
ditto to what gator/LaxProdigy says about bulking+soccer. As you know with high level soccer you are constantly/intensely gunning your engines for 2x 45 minute halves [contrary to what some who dont know the sport think when they watch a game on tv- like the players are jogging leisurely most of the game]. If it's that high a level you'll be plaing, I'd think you wouldn't want to be compromising your required agility and stamina with extra bulk.

Nongan
11-22-2005, 10:02 PM
actually, i'm a goalie, so added mass is good, especially when I'm tightly packed around in the goalbox. That's mainly why I started to lift weights. Upper Body strength is even more useful than on any other position in soccer.

Shao-LiN
11-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Eat more. Fat is your friend as it is the most calorie dense macronutrient. But, you should also fill your diet in with extra shakes if you think you'll have trouble eating that much.

Personally, I'd love to drop 5k+ calories a day. I'd be in fatty heaven.

Vegilles
11-23-2005, 07:14 AM
actually, i'm a goalie....
Now you tell us, lol.

gator
11-23-2005, 08:32 AM
Even so, Goalies need to be quick, I dont know how mass would help a goalie.

Canadian Crippler
11-23-2005, 08:34 AM
Explosiveness would though. So lift heavy things please.

Davidelmo
11-24-2005, 03:55 AM
It's possible!

The training will probably make you starving but even if you're stuffed then just start blending stuff and drinking it!

Good luck!! :)

Paul Stagg
11-24-2005, 08:41 AM
I agree with questioning 'bulking'.

Train to be a better soccer player. Get stronger, get quicker, wokr on your skills. Unless you are remarkably small, I would think gaining weight would be lower on my list of priorities.

Bohizzle
11-24-2005, 08:55 AM
I agree with questioning 'bulking'.

Train to be a better soccer player. Get stronger, get quicker, wokr on your skills. Unless you are remarkably small, I would think gaining weight would be lower on my list of priorities.

he's 6' and 150, he could bulk without losing anything on his soccer skills.

Andrew

Paul Stagg
11-24-2005, 09:02 AM
True, that.

But the focus should be on training to improve performance at the sport, not just getting bigger.

Bohizzle
11-24-2005, 09:06 AM
agreed.

Vegilles
11-24-2005, 11:37 PM
I suppose you'll find out in your initial workouts where you really stand with bulking. If you find your stamina isn't up to par with the high-level workouts, you'll have your answer.
oh yeah, Good luck with the competitions!!

Vegilles
11-24-2005, 11:50 PM
Even so, Goalies need to be quick, I dont know how mass would help a goalie.
Mass advantages for a goalie....
I think it'd be for dominating the goalie box in corners where there's alot of jostling as the ball floats in for example, and throwing the ball, diving in challenges against an attacker to put them off, psychological put off for a shooter seeing a big framed goalie at the net as opposed to a slimmer one... just my thoughts.

gator
11-25-2005, 12:53 AM
psychological put off for a shooter seeing a big framed goalie at the net as opposed to a slimmer one.

I think that's getting a little carried away, it's not like the goalie is charging at you to run you over. While I dont play soccer and never have except occasionally in PE, I would think that game is so fast paced that you dont really have time to determine the size of the goalie while you take your shot. Sure you might notice the size but your brain is concentrating on where you want to place the shot.

Nongan
11-25-2005, 12:57 AM
Mass advantages for a goalie....
I think it'd be for dominating the goalie box in corners where there's alot of jostling as the ball floats in for example, and throwing the ball, diving in challenges against an attacker to put them off, psychological put off for a shooter seeing a big framed goalie at the net as opposed to a slimmer one... just my thoughts.

I agree with you completely. Though I agree with everyone else, I don't wanna put on so much mass that it hinders my skills, I need to be as big as possible, because it's mainly a mental thing, seeing a larger keeper is more intimidating to a striker. Plus, in close situations, mass helps.

Nongan
11-25-2005, 12:59 AM
I think that's getting a little carried away, it's not like the goalie is charging at you to run you over. While I dont play soccer and never have except occasionally in PE, I would think that game is so fast paced that you dont really have time to determine the size of the goalie while you take your shot. Sure you might notice the size but your brain is concentrating on where you want to place the shot.

Actually, you'd be suprised how many kids I take out each game. I play very agressive, and I usually wind up taking out at least 3 kids a game (not injured, just flipped, tripped, flattened, etc.)

Paul Stagg
11-25-2005, 08:25 AM
Lots of people who haven't played soccer don't understand how physical it is.

I was a keeper, too. A skinny one. I had to show I was agressive and tough, and would make a point of taking someone out even if it wasn't necessary to let them know I wasn't afraid of contact.

So certainly some size will help. I still think, though, that you should focus your training on what will make you a better player, and let the size come (it will, you are still growing, just make sure you shovel the food in, and you'll be fine)

Vegilles
11-27-2005, 12:36 AM
I play very agressive, and I usually wind up taking out at least 3 kids a game (not injured, just flipped, tripped, flattened, etc.)
hehee, @ just flipped/flattened
Yes, getting to show your feisty-ness early in the game as a goalie likely makes things easy for you the rest of the game in terms of opponent strikers backing off. A defender may be willing to take a good knock but strikers would rather avoid the risks involved.