PDA

View Full Version : Trans fats and bulking

intargc
11-22-2005, 11:55 AM
So, I'm finding it incredibly hard to find quick food that is high in calories but doesn't have some form of hydrogenated soybean oil in it! While I'm at home, I'm fine... I eat my chicken, rice, veggies, etc... At work I have my weight gainer, protein, natural PB, almonds and oatmeal. However, finding things for lunch and other meals while i'm at work is tough to do because it has to be quick! I'm all about Wendy's hamburgers. Mmmmm.... single with mustard. But, obviously there is trans fat in that so I can't eat that every day. I'm all about tuna subs on whole wheat, but that only contains about 300 calories for an entire 8" sub. At the very least I have to bring in about 650 calories per meal throughout the day in order to get to my 4000 calorie per day zone. What do most of you do during the day at work to pull in the healthier calories? Add 2 tbsp of pb to each meal (is that ok? That's easy enough...)? Eat your cube neighbor? Pretend like you actually eat that much?

ShockBoxer
11-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Bring all your food from home. Like nuking the site from orbit ... it's the only way to be sure.

intargc
11-22-2005, 12:08 PM
I would but there are no fridges here. They have them for the executives only. Us programmers can go to hell... :)

Plus, there is no way I can cook here. No stovetops and ****. Plus, most food is nasty when reheated... The only food I like reheated that I make is my Chili and Lasagna. But, I can't make that every night...

ShockBoxer
11-22-2005, 12:37 PM
650 calories in peanut butter sandwich varieties (with butter, with honey, with jam, with jelly, with banana, with nestlie quick, with brown sugar) wouldn't be hard to pull off.

Or other things that don't need a fridge. Nuts, home-made protein bars, cans of tuna...

intargc
11-22-2005, 12:42 PM
650 calories in peanut butter sandwich varieties (with butter, with honey, with jam, with jelly, with banana, with nestlie quick, with brown sugar) wouldn't be hard to pull off.

Or other things that don't need a fridge. Nuts, home-made protein bars, cans of tuna...

Yeah, I'm craming down almonds and natural pb during work to boost the calorie level. Tuna is so low in calories... I mean, I have tuna almost every day for lunch in a wrap or pita or whole wheat sub, but with the bread it's only like 300 calories tops.

Peanut Butter sandwich with nestlie quick?! Explain that one... haha

muscleup
11-22-2005, 01:00 PM
You're going to have to get over the "reheated food is icky" attitude.
'Most' of the people who bulk successfully prepare meals in advance.

Takes a lot off your mind when you can get up in the morning and have your breakfast and lunch just chillin in the fridge waitin for you to pack it in your cooler and take it to work.
The panic feeling of "omgwtfbbq am I going to eat today" sux bro.

Ice packs keep things cold.
My lunch box looks like a gym bag.
Tupperware is your friend.
Eat it cold if you don't want to reheat it.
Gotta eat if you wunna grow...just depends how bad you want it.

ShockBoxer
11-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I'm craming down almonds and natural pb during work to boost the calorie level. Tuna is so low in calories... I mean, I have tuna almost every day for lunch in a wrap or pita or whole wheat sub, but with the bread it's only like 300 calories tops.

Peanut Butter sandwich with nestlie quick?! Explain that one... haha

Throw in a quarter cup of peanuts. Bam. 200 calories. When I bring a low carb lunch it's usually a can of tuna, one tablespoon miracle whip, and a quarter cup of peanuts.

As for the sandwich... well, either the powdered version or the liquid version of quick works. It's sweetened chocolate so the effect is similar (not quite the same) as having a peanut butter cup.

Pure simple carbs, though.

My favorite PB sandwich is PB and brown sugar. It's so good. I haven't had one in years, though... so I have no idea what the nutritional breakdown would look like. Probaby nothing good. :)

intargc
11-22-2005, 02:23 PM
You're going to have to get over the "reheated food is icky" attitude.

Some foods just aren't meant to be reheated... plain and simple.

Utopianhopes
11-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Depending on your price range and amount of lunchbreak time. I know supermarket around my area sell a nice roasted chicken (Can't remember if it was publix or winn-dixie).

intargc
11-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Ahhh... I forgot about Publix roasted chicken. Good call!

Built
11-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Tuna + avocado = wonderful.

And a boat load of calories.

Mercuryblade
11-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Built you have to stop telling people that these things are wonderful. Wonderful in the nutrition sense yes, but actually good tasting, no.

Built
11-24-2005, 11:28 PM
No, it's totally yummy! I toss the avocado and tuna with some balsamic and a handful of pecans.

Vegilles
11-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Built you have to stop telling people that these things are wonderful. Wonderful in the nutrition sense yes, but actually good tasting, no.

To you perhaps... with the right dressing, even better.

Mercuryblade
11-24-2005, 11:38 PM
Just as good as cottage cheese, right :). I hate avacados, but if they are a good source of cals I might learn to like em.

Built
11-24-2005, 11:42 PM
Okay, weird things you can do with avocados...

First off, the normal things - guacamole: chop finely, toss in VERY finely chopped onion, lots of salt, some salsa, and ... wait for it ... the juice from a jar of pickled jalapenos. Waaaaay better than lemon or lime juice.

Now, the not so normal: melt it into a bowl of rice.

Or, weirder still - toss it into a protein shake in the blender, and or with some ice cream. Avocados are served sweet in some countries.

Built
11-24-2005, 11:43 PM
Oh, you can toss cottage cheese into your protein shake, too.

tigo
11-25-2005, 02:46 AM
i find it easier to just carry 5 shakes with me when i cant find good places to eat (like when i first started college..)

whey, pb, powdered milk.. just add water :) ~5-600 calories per?