PDA

View Full Version : Overtraining and diet:

anasthetic
11-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Let's take a hypothetical example of somebody who is severely overtraining, doing a super high volume Arnold style routine, and eating at an appropriate caloric surplus.

According to what I understand, severe over training will lead to a lack of gains in both strength and hypertrophy. If this is occuring, where does the caloric surplus go to? Will overtraining in a caloric surplus cause a relative increase in fat gain?

Built
11-23-2005, 04:46 PM
As I understand it, it can. You start getting into all kinds of icky endocrine problems like cortisol and suppressed test production.

Bump for somebody who is schooled in these things...

Isaac Wilkins
11-23-2005, 06:04 PM
Yes. You'll end up with high cortisol levels resulting in muscular breakdown and adipose storage.

Also, muscular damage can inhibit glycogen replenishment. This means that a lot of those extra carb calories floating through the blood stream keep wandering around until fat cells pick them up.

In severe over-training testosterone levels can be supressed, so this will reduce muscular growth.

Over-training can be caused/can cause burn out of the adrenal system. This system is greatly responsible for a lot of the fat release that would be used as energy. So now you've got more fat being stored, less fat being released, and less muscle being repaired/grown. Ouch.

Built
11-23-2005, 06:05 PM
Hey, I got it right!

I gotta get me some book-larnin' in this endocrinwhatchamacallit one of these days.

thajeepster
11-24-2005, 06:47 AM
Yes. You'll end up with high cortisol levels resulting in muscular breakdown and adipose storage.

Also, muscular damage can inhibit glycogen replenishment. This means that a lot of those extra carb calories floating through the blood stream keep wandering around until fat cells pick them up.

In severe over-training testosterone levels can be supressed, so this will reduce muscular growth.

Over-training can be caused/can cause burn out of the adrenal system. This system is greatly responsible for a lot of the fat release that would be used as energy. So now you've got more fat being stored, less fat being released, and less muscle being repaired/grown. Ouch.

hmm... so maybe thats why alot of people get fat on a bulk of only say 3000 cals a day. Definitely something to think about. Myself included.

ReelBigFish
11-24-2005, 11:02 AM
You'd know if you were overtraining. You'd be horribly tired all the time, literally falling asleep while standing, you'd have no appetite. I doubt many people are overtraining they are just undereating.

anasthetic
11-24-2005, 05:42 PM
You'd know if you were overtraining. You'd be horribly tired all the time, literally falling asleep while standing, you'd have no appetite. I doubt many people are overtraining they are just undereating.

I wasn't worried personally about over training, it was more of an academic question. At the same time, I think it's not always as obvious as you make it out to be. If your lifts are stalling yet your weight is still increasing, that could be a sign of OT.