PDA

View Full Version : 26g protein max

dethfire
11-26-2005, 02:02 PM
I heard from a friend that you shouldn't consume more than 26g of protein a day or it will rob your bones of calcium. I also found this link: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~iishp/Peters.html

Unreal
11-26-2005, 02:07 PM
A single chicken breast has more then 26g, so therefore everyone in the world pretty mich is getting robbed of calcium according to this stupid thinking.

Seriously, doesn't common sense answer these questions?

Manveet
11-26-2005, 02:08 PM
I heard from a friend that you shouldn't consume more than 26g of protein a day or it will rob your bones of calcium. I also found this link: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~iishp/Peters.html

Although excessive protein intake does rob the body of calcium, 26g per day is a figure that your buddy most likely pulled out from his ass.

dethfire
11-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Although excessive protein intake does rob the body of calcium, 26g per day is a figure that your buddy most likely pulled out from his ass.

true, he is a vegitarian

eps
11-26-2005, 05:15 PM
Never heard of that before but it's not you can't get more calcium from other foods or from supplements.

-Eps

Built
11-26-2005, 09:35 PM
Well, I just got my bodyfat tested with DEXA, which also tests your bone density.

Keep in mind that osteoporosis runs in my family, and I'm middle-aged.

My bone density was so high it was off the chart.

For a woman of twenty.

I eat 180-220g of protein daily.

SkinnySadMan
11-26-2005, 09:59 PM
Anyways it shouldn't really matter for us. Most of us drink lots of milk.....LOTS of calcium right there. Not to mention one scoop of my protein powder has 80% of RDA for Calcium.

I think i'm getting like 4000-5000 mg of calcium a day, not sure.... I'll try to calculate later.
........Nope, not even 4000, more like 3000-3500ish milligrams.

Vegilles
11-27-2005, 12:07 AM
I'm a lacto-vegetarian [ no meat/fish/eggs- but dairy products are ok] and I take in 200gms of protein a day easily. What your friend may need to be thinking about is increasing their calcium intake rather than having such a low protein intake - if they are serious with that figure of 26gms!
I fear this is a major problem with some vegetarians who don't do their homework as to the proper nutrition their body needs to function properly and how to adapt their diets accordingly.
True that high protein diets are very acid forming and this causes calcium loss as does high meat diets [phosphorus causes calcium loss]. If your friend is not a lacto-vegetarian he/she can get good calcium intakes from dark green vegetables [like Kale], nuts [almonds], and seeds, kelp especially, and even watercress and parsley.
Here's a link you might like to browse through;
http://www.satyamag.com/mar02/walsh.html
and this too- a very good one to 'educate' your friend :rolleyes: ;
http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.asp?ID=2019

Davidelmo
11-27-2005, 04:36 AM
I'm a lacto-vegetarian [ no meat/fish/eggs- but dairy products are ok] and I take in 200gms of protein a day easily. What your friend may need to be thinking about is increasing their calcium intake rather than having such a low protein intake - if they are serious with that figure of 26gms!
I fear this is a major problem with some vegetarians who don't do their homework as to the proper nutrition their body needs to function properly and how to adapt their diets accordingly.
True that high protein diets are very acid forming and this causes calcium loss as does high meat diets [phosphorus causes calcium loss]. If your friend is not a lacto-vegetarian he/she can get good calcium intakes from dark green vegetables [like Kale], nuts [almonds], and seeds, kelp especially, and even watercress and parsley.
Here's a link you might like to browse through;
http://www.satyamag.com/mar02/walsh.html
and this too- a very good one to 'educate' your friend :rolleyes: ;
http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.asp?ID=2019

I always wondered how a vegetarian gets his protein without meat... it must be a lot more difficult. Although I respect your choice, I dont think I could do it!

getfit
11-27-2005, 05:12 AM
I always wondered how a vegetarian gets his protein without meat... it must be a lot more difficult. Although I respect your choice, I dont think I could do it!
no problem at all,I'm also vegetarian and get 180/200g of protein a day

Shao-LiN
11-27-2005, 10:05 AM

Soy, whey, casein, etc. etc. It's not hard.

Griffin98
11-27-2005, 10:49 AM
It's true that you're robbed of calcium by a high protein diet, but the amount of calcium taken can be replaced by a teaspoon of milk.

javyn
11-27-2005, 12:19 PM
Could your friend have meant that your body can only digest 26 grams of protein per meal or sitting, and any more than that goes to waste? I've heard of that before, but never 26 grams a day!

Shao-LiN
11-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Could your friend have meant that your body can only digest 26 grams of protein per meal or sitting, and any more than that goes to waste? I've heard of that before, but never 26 grams a day!

Even that is stupid.

Slim Schaedle
11-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Even that is stupid.
Yes

Nongan
11-27-2005, 03:06 PM

Lol, if thats the case, most of us are wasting tons of protein.

ShockBoxer
11-27-2005, 03:20 PM
And we'd all be losing weight because half our daily calories wouldn't be digested.

Davidelmo
11-27-2005, 05:55 PM
Soy, whey, casein, etc. etc. It's not hard.

no problem at all,I'm also vegetarian and get 180/200g of protein a day

:cool:

Maybe I need to widen my protein source horizons then!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-27-2005, 06:29 PM
I've read otherwise. And anyone in college can own a site that ends in ".edu", so I would take this information with a grain of salt...or a few hundred grams of protein. ;)

javyn
11-27-2005, 06:57 PM
Even that is stupid.

I don't know. I always thought that was the reason people broke their meals up. You get more from eating 6 or 7 small meals a day, each meal having 26 grams of protein; than just gorging yourself with a few meals.

RBC13
11-27-2005, 08:00 PM
I think he may have been talking about 260 instead of 26.

Slim Schaedle
11-27-2005, 09:34 PM
I don't know. I always thought that was the reason people broke their meals up. You get more from eating 6 or 7 small meals a day, each meal having 26 grams of protein; than just gorging yourself with a few meals.
People (we) split up our servings b/c getting 250+ grams protein is slightly hard to do in one meal, or even 2 or 3.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-27-2005, 11:44 PM
People (we) split up our servings b/c getting 250+ grams protein is slightly hard to do in one meal, or even 2 or 3.It's also better on the digestive system and helps keep your metabolism going.