PDA

View Full Version : white tea hits the shelves

waynis
11-26-2005, 05:02 PM
Just started seeing white tea on the shelves in some super markets here in florida. Also at some health food stores. Got my first package. Anyone else got it?

eps
11-26-2005, 06:04 PM
I haven't tried it but I heard it's more nutrient dense than green tea.

-Eps

javyn
11-26-2005, 06:23 PM
If it is bagged Celestial Seasonings type stuff, don't even bother with it. Real, orthodox processed white tea is prohibitively expensive. If it is bagged, it is probably a small percentage of white mixed with a bunch of green. (A common thing they do with bagged Darjeeling, which is considered the champagne of tea.) All teas (camellia sinensis plant) contain about the same amount of antioxidants anyway. Sure green and white have more than black, but the difference is marginal so just drink whichever you think tastes the best.

I only drink specialty grade, loose leaf teas I order from importers and European brokers. And still, white tea is a little too rich for my blood ;)

waynis
11-26-2005, 06:50 PM
celestials seasonings is what I bought in the store. It's marked "china pearl". Couple weeks back I bought one online from a company called triple leaf tea. It's marked "white peony tea". Ingredients are marked as (bai mu dan) and (camelia sinesis) leaves and leaf buds. The both brands have a different taste. The Triple leaf tastes much stronger. I really don't like the taste that much. The celestial seasonings taste better to me but I think I like the taste of the green tea better.

Unreal
11-26-2005, 07:00 PM
Trader Joes has a good "white tea".

Jorge Sanchez
11-27-2005, 04:43 PM
If it is bagged Celestial Seasonings type stuff, don't even bother with it. Real, orthodox processed white tea is prohibitively expensive. If it is bagged, it is probably a small percentage of white mixed with a bunch of green. (A common thing they do with bagged Darjeeling, which is considered the champagne of tea.) All teas (camellia sinensis plant) contain about the same amount of antioxidants anyway. Sure green and white have more than black, but the difference is marginal so just drink whichever you think tastes the best.

I only drink specialty grade, loose leaf teas I order from importers and European brokers. And still, white tea is a little too rich for my blood ;)

You've just been waiting for someone to post something about tea, haven't you? :thumbup:

Is white tea better for you than green tea? I read that the reason green tea is better for you than black tea is because of polyphenols. Does white tea have more polyphenols?

waynis
11-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Is white tea better for you than green tea? I read that the reason green tea is better for you than black tea is because of polyphenols. Does white tea have more polyphenols?

I've posted on here before about white tea being the least processed tea so it should have more polyphenols. Now JAVYN is questioning what you get in the stores to actually be not that much of a difference between black,green, white. HOW much of a difference I would like to know also but these packages don't come with EGCG content unfortunately.

Here's link to another thread where I reference white tea.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=70876&highlight=white+tea

javyn
11-27-2005, 05:22 PM
Here is a Jasmine Pearl (http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/item.asp?itemID=ZJ90&from=searchResults.asp&searchString=jasmine+pearl&searchOptionMatchAll=1&searchOptionCategory=1&searchOptionItemName=1&searchOptionItemDescription=1&searchOptionDocuments=1&searchOptionLimitCategory=&searchOptionPriceRange=0&sType=new&begin=0) and other assortment (http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/catalog.asp?begin=0&parent=Teas%3EWhite%3EChina&category=White&sortMethod=0&categoryID=59) of Chinese white teas.

I order from this company and they are very good. But like I said, I like black tea. White could be a completely different story.

javyn
01-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Here (http://www.enjoyingtea.com/index.html) is the cheapest place for buying white tea I have found. I love the Jasmine Silver Needles, I drink it daily now.

Spartacus
01-03-2006, 01:43 AM
black vs. green teas have the same general amount of antioxidants, but the exact phenolic compounds are quite different. white and green are going to have rather similar profiles though.

i'm not really into white tea, but upton tea is great.

javyn
01-03-2006, 03:24 AM
I think it is far more important finding a tea that you enjoy, than finding which one has the most antioxidants, polyphenols, whatever. Be it black, green, white, oolong, rooibos tisane, etc. I love black tea, rooibos, and surprisingly, white tea. Green on the other hand I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. It tastes like I'm drinking grass (not the fun kind of grass either).

I can't recommend rooibos highly enough, aka African red bush tea. It is technically not 'tea', it is an herbal drink. Yet it has twice to 4 times the amount of antioxidants as green tea, depending on which study you believe. I read one study that claimed white tea has FIFTEEN times the antiox as green. Give me a break, this junk science is kind of getting out of hand. Anyway, I love rooibos because it has the exact opposite effect on me as tea, it calms me down (when I first drank it, it actually made me high and I almost fell down the stairs). It is also good for the skin; women in South Africa put the infused needles directly on their skin, and I believe companies there use it in cosmetics. I just drink it, and it has cleared up the eczema on my hands.

I have heard or read somewhere that drinking tea (or is it any caffeinated beverage?) inhibits the body's ability to absorb or digest protein. Any thoughts on this?

bloodninja
01-03-2006, 04:43 AM
Now that's a man who knows his tea.

waynis
01-03-2006, 10:49 AM
I can't recommend rooibos highly enough, aka African red bush tea. It is technically not 'tea', it is an herbal drink. Yet it has twice to 4 times the amount of antioxidants as green tea, depending on which study you believe. I read one study that claimed white tea has FIFTEEN times the antiox as green. Give me a break, this junk science is kind of getting out of hand. Anyway, I love rooibos because it has the exact opposite effect on me as tea, it calms me down (when I first drank it, it actually made me high and I almost fell down the stairs). It is also good for the skin; women in South Africa put the infused needles directly on their skin, and I believe companies there use it in cosmetics. I just drink it, and it has cleared up the eczema on my hands.

that sounds good! Appears to be non-caffienated. Caffeine makes me nervous. I get eczema too from wheat and other foods. Can you buy bags in the store? where can I get bags of this stuff?

Bruise Brubaker
01-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Why would they have the right to only put white tea in the ingredients and make it white tea mixed with green tea? Anyway I got my box of white tea a few weeks ago, and it was the same price (!?) as the green tea from the same company, for about the same amount of grams.

Rooibos is #1 though, I love the stuff, although the claims that it has twice to three times the amount of antioxidants that green tea has are exagerated.
According to http://www.herbalgram.org/herbalgram/articleview.asp?a=255060 ,
"This result agrees with the data given previously for 60 to 80 mg polyphenols for a 150 to 200 ml serving of rooibos tea22 as compared to 128 to 199 mg polyphenols for a 200 ml serving of black tea.". Of course, it's not all about the amount of polyphenols, the kind of polyphenols is more important. The EGCG are what seems to make Green Tea so good, and Rooibos is the only source of the polyphenol aspalathin.

javyn
01-03-2006, 02:46 PM
What company did you get it from Bruise?

I got my first taste of rooibos from a celestial seasonings sample packet. I was hooked from then on. I buy the loose kind now, because it is much more potent it seems than the bagged. It's getting pretty popular now, so pretty much any grocery store should have it bagged, and any specialty tea store online should have it loose.

eps
01-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Tea (white or green) has little caffeine relative to coffee right? I wouldn't adding some caffeine powder on a cup of tea before work. It would be a nice change from coffee I think.

Bruise Brubaker
01-03-2006, 04:18 PM
The first rooibos I tasted was from Celestial Seasonings, now I'm buying this one: http://www.presidentschoice.ca/FoodAndRecipes/GreatFood/ProductDetails.aspx/id/16958/name/PCRooibosHerbalTea/catid/16958/type/2 .

waynis
01-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Went out to the health food store and got a organic blend from a company called WISDOM. 26 bags. The smell isn't the best. It smells similar to horny goat weed but nothing like the taste.. thank god. It does have a good taste. Naturally sweet. First.. cup.. I can't really tell that I noticed anything. I'm going for my second cup before bed. Hopefully it helps with the eczema and helps me sleep better. I haven't slept well in 3 days. Hardcore insomnia. Everything looks and sounds wierd. :/

javyn
01-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Good luck waynis. Rooibos isn't 'tea' so the limitations on steeping time don't exist...in other words, the longer you leave those bags in the hot water, the better. I steep mine for half an hour for a very potent brew. It will not help your skin overnight; I didn't notice anything until after the 4th or 5th day.