PDA

View Full Version : Routine for injured shoulder

V!C $!—gH
11-26-2005, 04:29 PM
hi guys and gurls. i need your help on finding me a suitable routine for my bad shoulder. I have to admit the injury was my fault. I trained chest/shoulders one weekend and then two days later i decided to check out a new gym. The owner was showing me some of the shoulder machines and encouraged me to have a go. From here i injured my rotator cuff. It was stupid of me to check out these machines as i had trained shoulders two days beforehand, this 'overtraining' then led to my injuy. I took a week off, but today when i tried to do flat dumbell press, i could still feel the injury.

im quite sure it is rotator cuff injury. according to my research on this site and other sites, the symptoms suggest it is symptoms related. I dont want to go to the doctors because i believe it wont do much help. My doctor normal recomends me cream for any type of illness lol. I dont think surgury is the answear because i think this injury isnot that serious, and i dont want to over exaggerate the injury.

i was wondeing what type of exercises can i still do? i plan to hit legs two times a week now. im also planning to do back, but lowering the weights and upping the reps. Im going to leave out deadlifts and chins because i think this would put too much pressure on my cuff. I plan to train biceps and triceps aswell. im thinking of not doing any shoulder and chest workouts for a matter of weeks or months, depending on when the pain goes away. When i start chest again, im thinkin of using smith machine just so i can slowly get back into it again.

i would love some advice from people who understands the injury. any exercises, routines, rest periods etc. Any INFO would be glady received.

cheers.

deeder
11-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Lots of icing and stretching. Sounds like you pulled something or strained something. Shouldn't be a long-term injury. Do lower weights that don't hurt your shoulder and maybe you should look into some strenghthening excercises with the pink weights for your rotator cuff.

d'Anconia
11-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Sooooo you haven't gotten a true diagnosis for your condition?

How long ago did you sustain your injury? If it's been over a month I think it would be a good idea to get it checked out.
But if it feels like it's getting better then I agree that higher reps/lower weight would probably be a good idea. That and a lot of sleep and making sure your diet is good.

Sorry to hear about the shoulder, I'd say it's probably the most volatile joint of the body (I've sustained injuries to both shoulders).

deeder
11-26-2005, 07:57 PM
How long ago did you sustain your injury? If it's been over a month I think it would be a good idea to get it checked out.

I took a week off, but today when i tried to do flat dumbell press, i could still feel the injury.

So no it hasn't been a month... But he should still have it checked out.

If you don't want to go to your doctor because he "prescribes creams for everything" then maybe it's time to look into a new doctor.

Shoulder problems are not fun to deal with.

V!C $!—gH
11-27-2005, 11:25 AM
well i injured it about a week and a half ago, i rested it for a week but still felt pain in yesterdays work out. I havent been to the doctor cos simply my doctor is crap and he wont do much for. I think it may be a rotator cuff injury related according to some research i have done, but im nto sure because im not qualified to say so.

i been told to ice it and also rub heat cream into the area. which method should i use? or should i do both?

deeder
11-27-2005, 11:39 AM
Keep in mind that I am no doctor. But for any kinds of strains I think you're supposed to use cold. Whereas for longterm injuries you should use heat. That's what I've been told anyway, it seems to work alright.

SW
11-27-2005, 05:35 PM
Sounds like a mild-moderate cuff strain to me. What I did for mine (even though it was a near tear) was not lift for 2 weeks, then come back with 10 rep working sets for a couple more, then somewhere in the 3x5 range for working sets.

Now, 4- 41/2 months later, I still can't jerk my arm, no overhead presses (yet), have to do cuff work almost every day, but I have full strength back.

V!C $!—gH
11-28-2005, 04:13 AM
ok, damn i hate this injury. You said you do exercises everyday for cuff. Could you describe me some of these exercises please.
cheers.

SW
11-28-2005, 06:06 AM
Some you can do with sub 5 lb db's. Lay on your side on a bench, then bring your arm through it's full range of motion side to side, from belly button to out as far as it will comfortably go. Do this slowly and controlled. In and out, sets of 10. You can also do front raises and lat raises with those very light db's as well. Even OH presses if you can manage it, but probably not right now.

Another way is if you have a long, stretchy cord of some sort. Tie a not in one end and stick it through a door, then close the door so the cord's trapped. Stand at a comfotable resistance and do several exercises, sets of 10. Just most any motion the bring the crod into or across your body. Make sure to include your uninjured cuff as well, or it will quickly outstrengthen it. I hope you get better soon, but remember to take it easy.