PDA

View Full Version : real food v. maltodextrin (calories actually utilized)

jazer80
11-28-2005, 03:17 PM
i know real food has many benefits over powders/shakes, but speaking strictly of calories, am i getting as many digested out of a gulp of that thick maltodextrin premade RTD stuff (250 calories) as i would a 250 calorie meal (assuming relatively comparable macronutrient breakdown)?

i know there's many reasons to choose foods, but i just can't convince myself that i'm getting as many calories out of a swig of this sludge as i would a small meal. it just seems so un-food like that i dunno how well my body can actually use it (this is the 'extreme xxl' by abb, it's 1000 calories per bottle.... very useful for hardgainers)

Slim Schaedle
11-28-2005, 07:12 PM
i know real food has many benefits over powders/shakes, but speaking strictly of calories, am i getting as many digested out of a gulp of that thick maltodextrin premade RTD stuff (250 calories) as i would a 250 calorie meal (assuming relatively comparable macronutrient breakdown)?
Strictly in terms of digestion, yes. Unless you see clumps of white powder in the exact form that it went in, your body is digesting it. The same goes for any food.

There is a distinction between this and absorption.

One problem with maltodextrin or like substances is been the quick rate of digestion, which can sometimes affect the absorption, as it cannot be completely accomplished before whatever is digested passes through the small intestine. There's no set rule for the standard occurence of this and is mostly noticeable if you have the "runs" shortly after you have you shake, or whatever. If you don't notice this, you should be fine with whatever you are consuming.

jazer80
11-29-2005, 09:21 AM
well, no runs, so i guess i'll stick to them.

anasthetic
11-29-2005, 08:53 PM
Just in case you didn't know, your body treats maltodextrin very much like sugar. So you are much better off getting as many calories as possible from whole foods.

Adam
11-29-2005, 09:10 PM
Are you hungry after having a big shake? I'm not.

jazer80
12-01-2005, 09:32 AM
Are you hungry after having a big shake? I'm not.
no, why would i be? not sure what you're getting at. i don't have it in place of a meal, i have it between meals or after them

anasthetic
12-01-2005, 04:48 PM
I think he was responding to what I said about maltodextrin being treated like sugar by the body. I'm not really sure how satiating it is compared to other carbs, just that it has a very high GI similar to processed flour. Afterall, it is generally paired with dextrose as an insulin spiker PWO.

jazer80
12-01-2005, 07:59 PM
I think he was responding to what I said about maltodextrin being treated like sugar by the body. I'm not really sure how satiating it is compared to other carbs, just that it has a very high GI similar to processed flour. Afterall, it is generally paired with dextrose as an insulin spiker PWO.
yeah it's a definite insulin spiker. i usually just have swigs of the stuff as a meal, or after a meal as a calorie booster. so goddamn expensive tho, when my cheap ones run out it's back to powder.

Adam
12-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Hmmm, i don't remember replying to this?

I think I meant, you eat 250cals food - you feel like you ate some(stomach not hungry)
you drink 250cal shalke - you don't feel hungry/feel like you ate something....in a sense.

I think thats what i might have meant.