PDA

View Full Version : Protein while working out

ddzc
11-30-2005, 12:49 AM
Who here drinks protein while working out? is there a significant advantage to this as opposed to drinking water? I usually drink it 5-10 mins after workout, won't this have the same result as if I were to drink it during the actual workout? I usually take bottled water with me during workout. I know gatorade is a better source but the $$ adds up at the end of the mth b/c they're quite expensive.

What are your opinions?

thx

Built
11-30-2005, 12:55 AM
I do. Dilute dextrose and whey.

Gatorade actually sucks - you're way better off with the dilute dex and whey, or even just plain dex in water (add lemon juice and you have lemonaid).

(Gatorade has fructose in it as well as dextrose - and you don't want/need fructose while training)

ddzc
11-30-2005, 12:58 AM
ok thx for the reply
How is dilute dextrose an advantage when taking during workout? what exactly does it do? what brand do you buy?

thanks

Built
11-30-2005, 01:06 AM
Erik Ledin wrote this when he worked for muscletech - it tells you how and when to do this: http://www.muscletech.com/NUTRITION/HIGH_PERFORMANCE_NUTRITION/ISSUE_2/index.shtml

"Let's start with the workout. Contrary to popular belief, drinking plain water during your workout is not the best practice. We'll get into this more in a future issue, but suffice to say, the consumption of a highly digestible protein/carb beverage during your workout has the potential to blunt the rise in the catabolic hormone cortisol, which can reduce protein breakdown. Such a drink can also spare muscle glycogen and prime your muscles for quicker recovery following a workout. A combination of a small amount of a highly digestible form of whey protein with moderate amounts of dextrose and/or maltodextrin is a good practice. Try 15 to 20 grams of protein and 25 to 50 grams of combined carbohydrates diluted in no less than one liter of water. Simply sip this throughout your workout.

The immediate post-workout period (up to 120 minutes after training) is an extension of the during-workout period. During this phase, we want to initiate the repair of damaged muscle protein and replenish depleted glycogen stores. We're looking to rapidly stimulate insulin production in order to reduce protein breakdown and circulating cortisol levels, as well as to increase protein synthesis. Once again, a highly digestible whey protein product ...and a combination of dextrose and maltodextrin are suggested. A 2:1 ratio (0.8g/kg carbs:0.4g/kg protein) of carbs to protein is a good place to start, but remember from back in part one that if you're not making gains, you'll have to increase your calories. This meal is the first place I would suggest you put those extra calories. You want to get this meal in immediately following your workout. "

Shao-LiN
11-30-2005, 05:49 PM
I just chomp on some candy...mmm...

Scooter
12-01-2005, 08:20 AM
what kind of candy?

tigo
12-01-2005, 10:51 PM
sweet tarts and smarties are good i think