PDA

View Full Version : Smoking and Bodybuilding

rmdeuskar
11-30-2005, 05:07 AM
Hi,

My question is how smoking affects bodybuiding.
Specially if ur a ex smoker.

Ravi.
:newbie:

pruneman
11-30-2005, 05:15 AM
negatively

HILL
11-30-2005, 05:56 AM
I imagine that the effect smoking has on your lungs will efect your training in bodybuilding as it effects everything else. when you see smokers jogging/running/playing football they tend to be out of breath or coughing alot. Also the normal negative effects that come with smoking and there proberly some more related to bodybuilding however i do not know

spencerjrus
11-30-2005, 08:45 AM
There are at least a couple pros who are heavy smokers though, so its obviously possible to smoke and have a good physique, its just going to take more work.

anasthetic
11-30-2005, 09:29 AM
Nicotine itself has zero known negative effect on body building. I've read about people using nicotine gum on cuts as an appetite suppressent.

I'm not sure about the millions of random carcinogens in cigarettes though.

waynis
11-30-2005, 12:39 PM
first off congrats on cutting the habit and choosing a more healthier lifestyle. Whatever effects on your lungs the smoking may have had is already there. You may be doing hard session of lifting or cardio and feel like your heart is gonna explode from your chest. This could be from just being out of shape also. How long have you been smoke free?

Paul Stagg
11-30-2005, 01:18 PM
Nicotine itself has zero known negative effect on body building. I've read about people using nicotine gum on cuts as an appetite suppressent.

I'm not sure about the millions of random carcinogens in cigarettes though.

Are you sure about that - I seem to remember reading somewhere that nicotine has a negative effect on muscle building. I could be wrong.

To answer the OP: You can, and people have, build a very impressive physique and smoke cigarettes. Obviously there are health benefits to not smoking - I would focus on that, as well as improving your lung function so getting through a workout isn't a bout of panting.

As far as havng smoked and stopping - the effects of smoking that would effect training heal pretty quickly, I would say after having not smoked for a couple of months, you'll perform as if you have not smoked at all.

I can tell you from personal experience, there is a HUGE difference in training.

Why do you ask the question?

darkdan
11-30-2005, 07:13 PM
I kinda quit on Thanksgiving.

I had zero on Turkeyday, four on Friday, one on satuday, and haven't had any since then.

HOPEFULLY, getting to rep 20 on squat day will be easier soon (then I'll just add weight).

rmdeuskar
11-30-2005, 10:54 PM
Hi,

I quit approx 7 months ago.
Prior to that I used to smoke 20-30 for
around 8 years.
Currently doing exercise 2-3 days in a gym.

But ur right that I ran out of breath very often.

Another effect is However I try hard my posture dosen't
improve. I always seems to bent at diapharm below ribcage.
I think this is effect of smoking.

I do jump ropes every saturday but no help in improving stamina.
Is there any diet that improves stamina or lungpower.
like protein improves muscles what improves stamina?

Ravi.

Joe Black
11-30-2005, 11:11 PM
Overally smoking is a non healthy hobby and that should be more important to you than any specific affect on weight training.

Good job on quitting, and keep it up..

hardgainer169
12-01-2005, 08:22 AM
I smoked for like a year, then i quit and really hit the weights hard. Recently I kinda started again, and I went down in all my lifts. You just feel weaker. So im really gonna lay off 'em now.

I read in a magazines about Danny Bonaduce, he works out all the time and hes pretty big, he smokes three packs a day and he has ashtrays all over in his gym! He constantly smokes while working out. Now thats going overboard.

spencerjrus
12-01-2005, 08:30 AM
I smoked for like a year, then i quit and really hit the weights hard. Recently I kinda started again, and I went down in all my lifts. You just feel weaker. So im really gonna lay off 'em now.

I read in a magazines about Danny Bonaduce, he works out all the time and hes pretty big, he smokes three packs a day and he has ashtrays all over in his gym! He constantly smokes while working out. Now thats going overboard.

Ughh, sounds like my brother. He will take a break between sets to walk outside and smoke a couple grits, its disgusting. He moves some decent weight though and has a nice physique, some people just wont quit until they see it directly affecting their life in a significant way.

Whats worse is he bitches at me for smoking pot lol.