PDA

View Full Version : Stalled or recomposing?

ShockBoxer
11-30-2005, 07:40 AM
Well, I managed to pass my goal weight this cut. :cool: I went from 181 to 163. I've been hovering at 163, +/-, for three weeks now. Body fat is still somewhere between 17 and 20, I think, but I'm definitely low body fat for my family.

I decided to give myself a few extra calories a day starting last week... went from 1750-1800 to 1900-2000. I figure maybe with the increased muscle mass (and apparantly I've increased muscle mass noticably) that my BMR increased and an 1800 cut was too big a deficit. I certainly feel better with a few extra hundred cals in me. :) Of course it could have gone the other way... lost so much weight that 1800 was my new maintenance, despite the increase in muscle mass. I hope not. I sure as hell wouldn't want to cut on less than 1700. My 130 lb gf eats more than that.

Thing is while my weight isn't changing, again (it took 9 weeks for the first pound to be seen coming off on the scale, after all) I still feel like I'm losing fat. Little more definition in the arms and back, little less chub around the midsection. It's been nearly six months on a cut so I'd ruled out recomposing?

My father is of the opinion I'm way too broad shouldered and muscular to ever drop below 160 lbs even at 5'4. I don't buy it... there are guys here 5 lb lighter and a hell of a lot stronger, bigger, and leaner. My gf is begging me to not look to the scales to measure results, and that's good advice, but all I've heard here is that it's very hard to lose fat while gaining muscle... the only way you could lose fat without losing weight. I've still got at least 7% BF to go before my ideal body fat (in my opinion), though.

Teufelhund
11-30-2005, 08:53 AM
Its times like these that make good and frequent progress pics and measurements worthwhile.

ShockBoxer
11-30-2005, 10:21 AM
This is true. Pics are right out for the moment but I do keep measurements (taken after two days of rest every month).

Bi and triceps 13 inches to 14 inches

The beer belly 43 inches to 37 inches

Waist 37 inches to 33 inches

Chest 41 to 40, with a noticable change in composition.

Neck 17.5 inches to 15.5 inches (but I need to wear an 18 inch neck shirt or the shoulders are way too tight)

Quads 22 inches but they don't jiggle anymore.

Calves 15 inches and they never did jiggle.

Forearms 10 inches to 11 inches.

I'm certainly not displeased with the results of my 'cut'. God bless newbie gains.

Teufelhund
11-30-2005, 10:34 AM
Wow, congrats on the progress - thats great!

I will refrain from offering diet advice though, as I am a diet moron. Luckily, I don't have to worry much about it, lol.

Bohizzle
11-30-2005, 11:14 AM
This is true. Pics are right out for the moment but I do keep measurements (taken after two days of rest every month).

Bi and triceps 13 inches to 14 inches

The beer belly 43 inches to 37 inches

Waist 37 inches to 33 inches

Chest 41 to 40, with a noticable change in composition.

Neck 17.5 inches to 15.5 inches (but I need to wear an 18 inch neck shirt or the shoulders are way too tight)

Quads 22 inches but they don't jiggle anymore.

Calves 15 inches and they never did jiggle.

Forearms 10 inches to 11 inches.

I'm certainly not displeased with the results of my 'cut'. God bless newbie gains.
seems to me, with those measurements that u may very well be gaining muscle and losing fat, i'd keep doing what ur doing, up the calories a bit, as ur muscle mass grows, ur metabolism will increase and thus u will lose the fat gradually anyways while still building a little bit of muscle. hth.

Andrew

Shao-LiN
11-30-2005, 05:47 PM
Well, I managed to pass my goal weight this cut. :cool: I went from 181 to 163. I've been hovering at 163, +/-, for three weeks now. Body fat is still somewhere between 17 and 20, I think, but I'm definitely low body fat for my family.

I decided to give myself a few extra calories a day starting last week... went from 1750-1800 to 1900-2000. I figure maybe with the increased muscle mass (and apparantly I've increased muscle mass noticably) that my BMR increased and an 1800 cut was too big a deficit. I certainly feel better with a few extra hundred cals in me. :) Of course it could have gone the other way... lost so much weight that 1800 was my new maintenance, despite the increase in muscle mass. I hope not. I sure as hell wouldn't want to cut on less than 1700. My 130 lb gf eats more than that.

Thing is while my weight isn't changing, again (it took 9 weeks for the first pound to be seen coming off on the scale, after all) I still feel like I'm losing fat. Little more definition in the arms and back, little less chub around the midsection. It's been nearly six months on a cut so I'd ruled out recomposing?

My father is of the opinion I'm way too broad shouldered and muscular to ever drop below 160 lbs even at 5'4. I don't buy it... there are guys here 5 lb lighter and a hell of a lot stronger, bigger, and leaner. My gf is begging me to not look to the scales to measure results, and that's good advice, but all I've heard here is that it's very hard to lose fat while gaining muscle... the only way you could lose fat without losing weight. I've still got at least 7% BF to go before my ideal body fat (in my opinion), though.

6 months cutting straight? If so, I would consider eating at maintenance for 2 weeks, then resuming your cut again. I take like a 2 week maintenance break every 6-8 weeks or so.

Utopianhopes
11-30-2005, 07:20 PM
Hey, I was doing the numbers and I notice something kind of off.

bodyweight x bf%= lbs of fat
181lbs x 21%= 38.01
163lbs x 17%= 27.71

Lost total weight:18lbs Total fat lost: (38.01-27.71)=10.3lbs LBM lost:7.7lbs

Ratio of lost
1.33lbs fat-1lbs lbm

If this hold true then you might face the problem of cutting and bulking with minimum success. Might want to look to improve upon this ratio or it could be an accuracy issue and you might have underestimated how much bf% you lost or started out with (might consider buying a caliper).

Jorge Sanchez
11-30-2005, 08:13 PM
6 months cutting straight? If so, I would consider eating at maintenance for 2 weeks, then resuming your cut again. I take like a 2 week maintenance break every 6-8 weeks or so.
:withstupi

ShockBoxer
11-30-2005, 10:40 PM
Oh, I started well above 20% body fat (did I say 20% in my first journal entry? It sounds familiar and like something delusional enough to be me at the time. edit: Yeah, it was my first journal entry. What a load of crap that entry was! I'd edit it but I want to keep it around so I can re-read it someday and remind myself how self-delusional I was. It doesn't start to straighten up until week 4. Well, it served its purpose... got me to track and stick with a program. Accuracy came later... but at least there was a later.)

It was at least 27%. More like 30% ... perhaps higher (a body fat reading scale at my mother's when I was over getting ready for my brother's wedding pegged me at 42% BF. Stupid scales. :) ).

I'm 17 to 20 at 163, as far as I can tell. Which admittedly is based on the fact I have very little definition instead of anything remotely scientific.

I can't really have lost LBM and increased my lifts so much, could I? Fiber recruitment only goes so far. Plus, I'm much thicker through the back and shoulders in particular than I was at 180.

Yes 24 long weeks (started dieting, poorly, a few weeks before coming here). Heh. Is six months a long cut?

It's been hell... I was ready to eat the wall in October from hunger pains. That died down a bit with a combination of help from Built and me starting eating fewer, but more caloric dense, meals. The six meal thing was making me unbearably hungry. Happier on three or four.

This week is shaping up to be a bulk or higher end maintenance unless I seriously pull it back for the next three days. Guess I'll see what happens on the scales Monday. It's certainly not going to be a cut... so I guess I made my decision: Reset and then decide from there.

HILL
12-01-2005, 03:14 AM
mmmm its a tricky one in my opinion as if you continue to cut you are going to be 150 pounds poss at the bf you want to be this is very small in my opinion. Maybe try a slow bulk for a couple of months and limit bf gain i.e dnt go over 20%. then cut again. im also cutting so check my journal if you want to see what im doing

ShockBoxer
12-01-2005, 06:17 AM
Yeah, I don't really want to get to 150 myself. Even at 162 I'm feeling kind of small, even though I look bigger in a lot of ways. When I was 145 people would hassle me all the time but I never got bugged at 200 even if it was all fat. My long term goal is 10% at 180 at 5'4. I've been wanting that composition since I was a teenager.

I'm hoping that my body partitions well but I suspect I'm going to be a 90% fat for 10% LBM kind of guy. Only one way to find out, I suppose. :burger:

Utopianhopes
12-01-2005, 08:22 AM
Depending on a lot of factors: mental state, time, patience, etc. If you still feel good now you can continue to cut and then bulk up later on (would be the faster, but more difficult route as your doing two lump sums). If not you can break it down to cycles of bulk and cut (I think that what most people do). Bulk now to around 180-200lbs (minimum of 2lbs lbm-1lb fat gains) and cut again (minimum 3lbs fat-1lb lbm lose), repeat process until desired results.

ShockBoxer
12-01-2005, 09:20 AM
After this initial cut I was planning on bulking and cutting in three month cycles, depending on how partitioning goes. If it turns out I'm good and add more LBM than fat then I'll do longer bulks. If it turns out that my genetics for this kind of thing sucks then I'll have to do short bulks and long cuts.

Regardless, I was planning on starting my bulk in January no matter what my BF was (and just being really careful about only gaining a pound a week). I guess that means I should use December to figure out my new maintenance, if it's changed at all.