PDA

View Full Version : BigOldDad until I am Built Old Dad

Pages : [1] 2

BigOldDad
11-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Well here we go. My rebirth so to speak. I can't phathom getting old. I am taking it pretty hard. This past year I have taken up Motocross Racing and decided to try Semi Pro Football. At 43 I should have rethought that because I did some spine damage that will most likely end my Football career possibly even the Motocross? Anyway getting older and letting my body get fat is bothering me. I finally got the mindset that it's time for a change. For the better!!! On Monday November the 21st I got my mind right now it's time for the body.http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/iamthatiamgood/bodybeforeNovember28th2005004.jpg

Here is the pile of **** I am going to start with. I am 43 years old, 6'-0" at 230#. My goal is to trim that midsection way down. I want to see the abs that were there when my wife and I got married. I don't need to be the hulk or anything but want some definition to my body. I know the first secret is to work on the diet. On this first Monday I started by just starting to cut the crap out. Fast food gone!!! I started to read about what nutrition I need to take in. Last Thursday was Thanksgiving I had my last piece of Pie until I get my body under control. On Friday morning I got serious!! Oatmeal for breakfast. Yogurt for midmorning snack, can of tuna for lunch or can of pink salmon no dressings, friut for pm snack, sensibly portioned dinner and fruit before bed. I have done very well to this date today!! I pumped iron Monday/Wednesday/Friday and did treadmill 30 minutes on Tuesday/Thursday last week and so far this week have kept on top of things. Well that's my story. I will try and keep up on my journal updating my milestones and post some updated pics. I have been really pleased at the encouragement I have received from my fellow pumpers. Thanks for the words of encouragement!!

Built
11-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Hey, good - you got 'er started!

Post your diet into www.fitday.com - it's really the only way to know what all you're eating!

Do you know what guidelines you should be following as you cut down?

BigOldDad
11-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Built- I gotta tell you. I have been on this site for just under a week now and you are most impressive. Pictures, sound advice, encouragement and dedication. I would be glad to hear anything you have to say. I did start an account at fitday yesterday. Thank you. It is really great to see the numbers right there in front of you. My biggest question right now is. I filled out a questionare and it claims with my activities and size and age and so forth I should be taking in about 3900 calories. I want to cut my midline but also bulk up my muscle. Is the calorie intake way to high? Can I do both cut and bulk? I am really trying to add allot of protien to my diet but looks like I fall way short of my minimal requirements but also don't want to overeat. I got sucked in by the hype and bought the muscle milk supplement because it had all the ingredients I thought would be good. I am overwhelmed with it all. How about setting me down and giving it all to me in laymans terms. My goal, trim that midsection, get some definition in my upper body and back. Make my arse look like it did when i was 21. You know all the things everybody wants. I respect your opinion. Thank you.

Hatred
11-30-2005, 12:49 PM
Musclemilk is addictive.
Beware, and eyes on the prize, brother.

Built
11-30-2005, 12:56 PM
Built- I gotta tell you. I have been on this site for just under a week now and you are most impressive. Pictures, sound advice, encouragement and dedication. I would be glad to hear anything you have to say.

Thank you! Success is very motivating. You'll find this out very quickly.

I did start an account at fitday yesterday. Thank you. It is really great to see the numbers right there in front of you. My biggest question right now is. I filled out a questionare and it claims with my activities and size and age and so forth I should be taking in about 3900 calories. I want to cut my midline but also bulk up my muscle. Is the calorie intake way to high? Can I do both cut and bulk?

Okay, here's the thing: you can NOT trust an equation to calculate how many calories YOU need for YOUR body.

Use fitday to track your food, and that is IT. Okay? No calculations.

I am really trying to add allot of protien to my diet but looks like I fall way short of my minimal requirements but also don't want to overeat. I got sucked in by the hype and bought the muscle milk supplement because it had all the ingredients I thought would be good. I am overwhelmed with it all. How about setting me down and giving it all to me in laymans terms. My goal, trim that midsection, get some definition in my upper body and back. Make my arse look like it did when i was 21. You know all the things everybody wants. I respect your opinion. Thank you.

Okay, cool.

Let's get started.

Do you have an idea from your fitday roughly how many calories YOU eat to maintain YOUR weight?

Also, I need:
*Your weight
*An approximation of your bodyfat (I'd say maybe 20% or so?)
*How many days a week you train
*What time of day you're hungriest
*What kind of appetite control issues you have
*What time of day you train

I await...

Isaac Wilkins
11-30-2005, 01:03 PM
Congratulations on making the decision to start, it sounds like you're motivated.

Find some things that motivate you and look at or do them once in a while to keep that hunger strong.

Also, I'd recommend taking some measurements every two weeks. That'll let you know if you're headed in the right direction and provide progress reports.

Your plan sounds great to start with given your early know-how and focus. Right now just getting going is going to mean more than anything complicated that you may find here or talking to us. That's something that a lot of us that have been in the game for a while tend to forget, and we bog down fresh beginners with too much unnecessary information.

That being said, I do have one thing. ;) I'd swap the morning yogurt out for cottage cheese or mix the two. Most yogurts, depending on what you buy, tend to have a ton of sugar and not a whole lot of protein. Given that you're taking it in early in the day the sugar isn't a huge deal, but it's not particularly good, either. A scoop or two of Muscle Milk would be a good substitute, too.

Best of luck to you and congratulations for deciding to change your life!

dw06wu
11-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Again, good job on starting the journal and everything, and good luck. I will mention that your diet really needs work, not nearly enough calories. Keep reading the diet & nutrition forum, and listen to built. She knows what shes talking about.

Looking at you I would guess around 2900-3100 cals for starters, to find maintenance. Note that this is just a general ballpark, I think 3900 is way too much though. To find your maintenance cals, shoot for 3000ish calories a day, everyday for a week. Compare your weight from the first day you started to the 7th day. If you weigh less, bump the cals 200-500, and vice versa. It takes between 1 and 3 weeks to nail it, you just gotta be patient. Also keep in mind that exercise that you are adding is going to change your metabolic rate.

BigOldDad
11-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Thanks again to all of you for the encouragement!!

Built- Want to build another? Take an old guy under your wing? If so I greatly appreciate your efforts. I will take all your recommendations seriously and see what you can make of this blob!! Now I want to answer each of your questions so here we go.

1. Fitday- yesterday was my first full day of posting. I ate 1679 calories. Now how many i need to maintain my weight how do i find this out?

2. 230# last week when i started 226.5# this morning before i went to work. 230# again after my workout. Digital scale not exactly how accurate.

3.Bodyfat? Dont know. How can I calculate?

4.Days a week I train. I started last Monday the 21st. Mon/Wed/Fri - lift
Tues/Thurs treadmill 30 minutes on off walking jogging. I have stuck to this so far. Sat/Sun set aside for family to abuse me. Lol.

5. Time of day hungriest? Always but probably mid morning. I work from 6:00 am to 3:30 pm most days. some fluctuation there but mostly the same.

6. Appetite Control? So far i have been very dedicated. no slips except that piece of pecan pie at Thanksgiving. Even then I was pretty controled. Something tells me your going to really see what controlI have though.Lol.

7. Last week's workout was later at around 7:00 pm. I have found a workout partner as of this past Monday. A friend of my son from his football team has teamed up( this is going to be a big help i can see already) He wants to workout at 4:00 pm which means I walk in from work go to the treadmill do my warmup and go right to lifting. This is fine with me though. So 4:00 pm will be workout time.

Thanks for taking the time to help an old guy out.

I await!

Bohizzle
11-30-2005, 04:31 PM
I can't really help with the diet aspect, but i've just got to say that i'm really impressed by ur attitude towards this all. Most of the time when people come here and they don't hear exactly what they want to hear they get angry and don't listen. Good job so far!

Andrew

BigOldDad
11-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Bohizzle- I really believe i have my mind where it needs to be to get this done. I do need all the help i can get though. The nutrition part really is throwing me for a loop. I mean you want to lose weight don't eat so much right. The more I read the more I realize that this may not be true. I can hit the weights and exercise but I need someone with a good knowledge of the nutrition to help me out. Looking at the posts from Built I am comfortable that she knows what she is talking about. That is not to say I won't listen to all idea's from those truly trying to help. Man I hope I can achieve my goals. My father always told me. I can, I must, I will. That is how I am going to go about it. I just hope the old body can take the rough ride. Joints bad, spinal problem. I will just keep goin!!

Built
11-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Bohizzle, usually it's the young'uns who know it all who won't listen.
By the time we're over forty, it's been beaten out of us.

;)

BigOldDad, you'll need to track YOUR food on fitday for about a week. Try to eat "normal" and resist the urge to "be good" - you need a starting point.

Don't worry about the bodyfat - we'll pronounce you at around 20% and take it from there. Eventually, find someone to do a calliper check for you so you can track your progress, but ultimately, it's the mirror that tells you what you need to know.

Track on fitday for a few days and post up your "average". Post up your training log as you go, too.

Do you know how your diet "should" be structured?

Bohizzle
11-30-2005, 04:57 PM
yeah but sometimes u oldies can be stubborn too :p

Andrew

Built
11-30-2005, 04:58 PM
That's because we're RIGHT!!!

*cough*

;)

BigOldDad
11-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Bohizzle, usually it's the young'uns who know it all who won't listen.
By the time we're over forty, it's been beaten out of us.

;)

BigOldDad, you'll need to track YOUR food on fitday for about a week. Try to eat "normal" and resist the urge to "be good" - you need a starting point.

Don't worry about the bodyfat - we'll pronounce you at around 20% and take it from there. Eventually, find someone to do a calliper check for you so you can track your progress, but ultimately, it's the mirror that tells you what you need to know.

Track on fitday for a few days and post up your "average". Post up your training log as you go, too.

Do you know how your diet "should" be structured?

I don't know what you mean by my diet being structured. Remember layman's terms Built. I am old but still a dufus.

Can you do a training log on fitday? Under activities?

Do you want me to go back to eating the way I was before Nov 21st? I don't think that is good anyway you look at it.

SW
11-30-2005, 05:36 PM
Hey BigOldDad you've made a great start with this journal and I can easily see your dedication isn't that of the typical middle aged new years resolutioner. You really mean it when you say you want to be better. I'm impressed. Were I you, I would worry more about putting on quality muscle size.

Muscle is an "expensive" body tissue, it takes many calories to maintain it. Those are calories not going to your gut. So by building up a decent base of muscle, you make it easier to lose weight and cut.

When you weigh yourself, make sure to do it at the same time every day, for best consistency I use the mornings right after I pee lol.

Getting more massive usually calls for reps in the 6-8 rep range for most people. Probably 3-4 sets of 6-8. Use this scheme for your major compound, mass building lifts such as the big 3, squat bench and deadlift.

Don't cheat yourself of too much food, just cut the **** that permeates most American's diets these days, get good sleep, work in the range I have reccommended and keep that hunger and consistency. Built is also sure to help lots ;)

I wish you all the best of luck Old Man.

Built
11-30-2005, 05:57 PM
Just program in a couple of "typical days" diet from the "bad old days" and post up the average.

I meant do you know how many grams of protein and fat you need, and what sort of a caloric reduction is reasonable for a cut.

Just post your training here. We'll be able to rip it to shreds ... ahhh... I mean, offer constructive criticism that way.

K?

BigOldDad
11-30-2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks Nick- My intentions at this point are definately not a wim(sp).
Here was my workout this afternoon.

Sitting Shoulder press-3x10
Bench Press-3x10
Incline Bench-3x10
Shrugs-3x10
Bent over rows-3x10
curls-3x10
reverse curls ( dont know if that is the correct name ) for triceps. Lift curling bar from behind my head up over top of my head. I wish i had a cable machine because i use to work my triceps really hard with it. Anyway 3x10
I can't lift huge weights yet but i do lift enough that at 10 i amstruggling to get the final lift completed.

I am going to start my legs on Tuesday/Thursday tomorrow will be the first squats and deadlifts.
After i get a little tone on my muscles I will look into designing my workouts for strategic muscle growth. Once again Thanks for the input.

JoeG
11-30-2005, 06:54 PM
Just wanted to say good luck and all the best. I just started here my self and was in a similar situation. Got to 35 and looked in the mirror to see I was almost 300 lbs. Well I lost down to 175 in about 10 months but as you probably know I did it all the wrong way.

Started lifting wrong and made some gains but still not what I should have. Came here about a month ago and read a bunch and asked questions. Now I feel I'm on the right track.

I have a feeeling you are going to listen good and your will really do great.

Utopianhopes
11-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Just going to chime in some of the stuff I have learned (In hopes of speeding up your learning curve).

1. No such thing as toning a muscle. You can ether make the muscle bigger and/or lose bodyfat to reveal the muscle. You can't do spot reduction.

2. Your goal is to maintain a calorie deficit while lifting heavy to retain your lean body mass (muscle). This causes you to lose fat while retain the majority of your muscle. Be more concern with your bf% then weight. You can lose weight and still be fat.

3. HIT is an effective way to do cardio and lose fat (intervals of sprints and jog).

4. Took me around 3 weeks for me to develop a habit of eating right. Each person is different, but if you feel discourage the first couple of weeks hold on. The longer you maintain it the more accustom one becomes (after a while it smooth sailings).

5. Here a great thread "what a bodybuilder eats" for you to base the food in your diet on. http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565

6. Perspective, the more you enjoy it the greatier chance of you succeeding. Turn it into a grind and you will be miserable.

I believe built will assist you on your workout program and diet. Your in great hands man, she has done wonders for me (she is an amazing person indeed).

SW
11-30-2005, 08:15 PM
Good post Utopian.

Old Man, 3x10 is usually used in the way of someone wanting endurance to say, run a race or something. Just to let you know. I think we all want to see you succeed.

Bohizzle
11-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Good post Utopian.

Old Man, 3x10 is usually used in the way of someone wanting endurance to say, run a race or something. Just to let you know. I think we all want to see you succeed.
lol i wouldn't go to that extent, sure it's a little bit higher in the rep range, and ideally he'll start working in the 6-8 rep range, but he's still going to see plenty of gains in the 10 rep range.

Andrew

Built
11-30-2005, 08:44 PM
I agree - and especially when first starting out, and super-especially when first starting out and no longer 18 years old.

BigOldDad
12-01-2005, 05:37 AM
Just wanted to say good luck and all the best. I just started here my self and was in a similar situation. Got to 35 and looked in the mirror to see I was almost 300 lbs. Well I lost down to 175 in about 10 months but as you probably know I did it all the wrong way.

Started lifting wrong and made some gains but still not what I should have. Came here about a month ago and read a bunch and asked questions. Now I feel I'm on the right track.

I have a feeeling you are going to listen good and your will really do great.

Kudos to you JoeG It sounds like you came along way. Keep up the great work!!

BigOldDad
12-01-2005, 05:45 AM
lol i wouldn't go to that extent, sure it's a little bit higher in the rep range, and ideally he'll start working in the 6-8 rep range, but he's still going to see plenty of gains in the 10 rep range.

Andrew

So are you saying I should work heavier weights with less repetitions? How long should I stay at more reps? Should I go right into heavier weights less reps?

dw06wu
12-01-2005, 06:46 AM
Am I the only one here that never goes higher than 5?

Bohizzle
12-01-2005, 07:25 AM
i don't go higher than 8, usually 3-6 range... but i'd say to start off, stay a bit higher, just to get ur body used to working out again. U will see results with the 10 rep scheme, i'd go with that for a while and then when u decide u need to change it up, maybe drop the reps down a bit.

Andrew

-TIM-
12-01-2005, 09:46 AM
Am I the only one here that never goes higher than 5?Not anymore. There's a sea of members going to the 5x5 now, or in the very near future.

JoeG
12-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Am I the only one here that never goes higher than 5?

I do the 5x5 thing now and I love it.

BigOldDad
12-01-2005, 11:18 AM
so 5x5. 5 sets of 5 reps with as much weight as I can do to barely make 5 reps correct?

-TIM-
12-01-2005, 11:28 AM
Here's what was outlined for me by one of the mods, Anthony.

On day 1, use the same weight on squats for 5x5. For your bench and rows, build up to your max 5 ... meaning don't use the same weight for all 5 sets.

On day 2, do 70% of your monday squat weight, shoulder work, deads, and chins.

On day 3, build up on squats to your monday weight. For bench and rows, use your last set weight from monday for all 5 sets.
You work out 3 days a week, following a 5x5 structure. You're focus is on compound lifts. Each workout varies allowing you to not overtrain, yet still get a productive workout in.

There are many 5x5's you can follow and you can even tweak them as you like. But I would stick to compound movements as your foundation. One exercise for each legs, chest, and back. Hope that helps.

Built
12-01-2005, 11:33 AM
so 5x5. 5 sets of 5 reps with as much weight as I can do to barely make 5 reps correct?

Please start with a 3x6-10 rep scheme for a few weeks before pushing yourself with alternate rep ranges, okay? It'll give your connective tissue a chance to get ready.

Focused70
12-01-2005, 11:51 AM
So are you saying I should work heavier weights with less repetitions? How long should I stay at more reps? Should I go right into heavier weights less reps?

If your rep schema is 6-8, a good way to track your progression would be to up the weight once you can perform a set of eight reps at a given weight.

For instance, if your end goal is 135 for squats, one way to do it is

120x6, 120x6
120x6, 120x7
120x7, 120x8
120x8, 125x6
125x6, 125x7
125x7, 125x8
125x8, 130x6
130x6, 130x7
130x7, 130x8
130x8, 135x6

or some variation thereof. This assumes you're lifting with close to, or with perfect form.

A similar pattern would be if your rep schema was in the 6-10 range.

You'll want to get your body acclimated to pushing heavy weights by prepping beforehand with light to moderate-light work. Doing otherwise runs you a high risk of injury.

A lot of this is really about learning to listen to your body and finding what works best for you. After a while, it'll become second nature.

Good luck, btw.

Stash

BigOldDad
12-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Please start with a 3x6-10 rep scheme for a few weeks before pushing yourself with alternate rep ranges, okay? It'll give your connective tissue a chance to get ready.

You got it Coach! I need to just do the lifting I know about for a short period of time before I start gettin all fancy. I need to feel comfortable that my body is working right. Then I will start doing some customizing

Vita
12-01-2005, 12:32 PM
You got it Coach! I need to just do the lifting I know about for a short period of time before I start gettin all fancy. I need to feel comfortable that my body is working right. Then I will start doing some customizing

very good to hear you say this. you probably noticed the first time in the gym how it felt, well that feeling will leave you soon. good luck, and have fun!

-TIM-
12-01-2005, 12:32 PM
You can almost feel the positive energy coming from your journal. I think you're going to do good BOD.

SW
12-01-2005, 03:41 PM
^ That's the same feeling I'm getting. I think this journal will be awesome.

Sensei
12-01-2005, 03:51 PM
I can't wait to see the "after" pictures, because I don't want to look at the "before" picture again... EVER! :windup:

Nuff said. Get to the gym "Dad".

BigOldDad
12-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Thursday eve 6:17 pm,

I almost committed my first act of purgery tonight. I got to tell you straight up. I hate leg work, especially squats. I hate them, always have and always will. That is why I never did them throughout my life.
I came to the computer to list the workout that I did not do, and when I sat down and read back through this thread. I got a huge guilt complex. I cussed myself out and called myself a big p****y. I can't be a liar. I got off my ARS and went out in the garage and gave it a go. Truthfully. Squats 3x10 just a bar 45# each one of them sucked and each one I do next time will suck and everyone I keep doing after that will suck. I'll tell you how much weight Ive added after some time goes by. Deadlifts 3x10 - 90# My legs feel like string cheese crampin up badly. I know it wasn't a huge amount of reps or weight but believe me it was huge for me that i went and did it. I am here to tell all of you that reply and add to this thread. You are the reason I got it done tonight. Thank you. Friday lift tomorrow. I'll be there you can bet on it. Thanks again!

BigOldDad
12-01-2005, 04:29 PM
I can't wait to see the "after" pictures, because I don't want to look at the "before" picture again... EVER! :windup:

Nuff said. Get to the gym "Dad".

You got it my friend. Never!!

Built
12-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Good boy! You worked leggies!

You will be rewarded with elevated test levels.

Oh, and DOMS. :evillaugh

Built
12-01-2005, 04:45 PM
Read this on squat form: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/causal_friday.htm

(toward the bottom, where it talks about sitting back before sitting DOWN)

BigOldDad
12-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Good boy! You worked leggies!

You will be rewarded with elevated test levels.

Oh, and DOMS. :evillaugh

DOMS? and this is?

getfit
12-01-2005, 05:27 PM
Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

getfit
12-01-2005, 05:33 PM
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/aa010600.htm

muscleup
12-01-2005, 05:34 PM
Thursday eve 6:17 pm,

I came to the computer to list the workout that I did not do

UMMMMMMM!! You was going to lie?!?

Man you have a ton of support going on in your journal, DO NOT take it for granted!!

You should want to go lift.
I thought you said you "had your mind right" for this? Saying things like

I hate leg work, especially squats. I hate them, always have and always will.
Squats 3x10 just a bar 45# each one of them sucked and each one I do next time will suck and everyone I keep doing after that will suck.
is not the right attitude you should have.

Squats don't have to be your favorite lift, but you shouldn't hate them and dread leg days bro. This is only going to make your goals that much harder.
You need to want to go to the gym, no matter what the lift is for that day, or, I am not going to sugar coat it for you, you WILL fail.
Why do something you dread or hate? Get where I am going with this?

My squat is not the best at all, but you can bet your ass that I am looking forward to my squat day so I can try to improve it the best I can.

I really hope you take this seriously, because you can be sure most of the ppl, if not all, that posted in here; are.

Everyone here is great at giving moral support, but in the end you have to want it. We can't want it for you...doesn't work like that.

SW
12-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Good job on getting in there and squatting. Hey, truthfully, I used to HATE squats because I sucked at them. I drug myself through them each time. Know what? Now I'm at a level where I think I'm starting to achieve something and I look foreward to setting new pr's.

Oh mark my words, after tomorrow, you will NEVER have to be told what DOMS are again.

BigOldDad
12-01-2005, 05:49 PM
I know. I thought fessin up my ease my conscience. I will keep on my leg work out. I only did squats and deadlift. After I get a little better at them what should I add. That I am sure is not enough for a good workout is it?I do have a leg curl apparatus on my bench. Leg curls at the same time? Give me your thoughts. I know you will!!

muscleup
12-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Not a lot of us like doing deads on the same day as squats, though some do it. They are 2 very CNS taxing lifts.

I think you may benefit a great deal from some lunges. Stationary at first, but later move into a moving lunge or walking lunge.

The main leg movements I like are; squats, SLDL's (straight leg deadlifts), and lunges, & some sort of calf raise.
I don't do curls or extensions because I can hit quads and Hams with just those 3 lifts.

-TIM-
12-01-2005, 06:17 PM
I think a lot of us hated squats, or working legs, when we first started. I know I did. But I stuck with it every week for about 2-3 months. I eventually got to the point where it was my favorite thing to work. It starts out as a hate/hate relationship, moving to a love/hate. Then after that, it's all love. So stick with them sucka!

Bohizzle
12-01-2005, 06:58 PM
good job on getting in there and doing it! i know it's easy to sit down and watch some tv or somethign of the sort and just say u'll do ur workout tomorrow, but u did the right thing! When i first started, i hated squats, now it's my favourite day, and once u get better u might want to add in some lunges (they seem like they're easy, but after squats, they are definitely not lol). Keep up the solid work!

Andrew

Built
12-02-2005, 01:15 AM
I spread out my leg work - I always do upper-lower splits - for example, today I did back and chest, with some calf work. On a quad day, I'll toss in biceps.

That way, I never have THE DREADED LEG DAY, and I don't have to do deads and squats on the same day - I don't get so beaten up, a consideration for us old folks lol!

One thing that got me into the habit of training was a deal I made with myself - I HAD to dress for the gym, pack my water bottle, have my workout planned, get to the gym, look at the weights ... then, if I felt like I simply COULD not train because I felt like crap, for whatever reason, I had permission to turn around and leave.

BUT I HAD TO GET THERE FIRST.

That was the part that was non-negotiable. I could have a headache, stomach ache, cramps (yeah, I bet you HATE it when YOU get cramps... ) whatever. I HAD to go. But I gave myself permission to leave once I was there.

I think I've missed 4 workouts in four YEARS.

BigOldDad
12-02-2005, 04:26 AM
Built- after seeing your pictures I knew your dedication could not be questioned. I pray I keep the same burning desire you obviously have kept for a long time now. If you look back at my post you will notice my M/W/F workout. I do everything in that order as I have listed it. Is there a better rotation of my exercises with what I am doing. Since I am now going to do 5 days. Should I take any of my M/W/F workout and move it to my T/T routine or vise versa. I know you told me to do your split, and as I said once I get into this a little more and start lifting heavier I will start to specialize my workout a little more. I am not sure with the workout I am doing what muscles I am actually working. I read and am starting to learn what groups each exercise works but I would feel much better if you could take the time to tell me. This is what you posted as the exercises you are doing so start with????? then do this next???? then this???? I guess I wanted you to set the workout I have listed in the most strategic way of doing it. If the order I am doing it is just fine I will continue that way. Like I said I am old but a newb. I really appreciate your taking the time to help. I am hoping the reward will be that you get a picture of a Built Old Dad you can say to your friends, Here's another one I whipped into shape. Lol. Thanks!!

Sensei
12-02-2005, 05:47 AM
I love squats, but I hate them sometimes. Look at them as a challenge, not as work - they will improve. Slow and steady wins the (long-term) race.

Built recommended a good article by Jim Wendler - he's great. Here's one of my favorites by Jason Burnell - it's older, but it covers squat technique pretty well:
Got Squat?
http://www.powermagonline.com/archives/got-squat.htm

tigo
12-02-2005, 06:09 AM
just started reading your journal and as everyone else is saying, i can almost feel the positive energy coming from this.
considering how quirky most people at this forum is, if you stay here long enough people will probably start calling you dad haha.

PS i use to hate squats, now i love the feeling of not being able to walk up and down stairs the next day.

hope my post made sense.. its 5:09 AM on a schoolnight. WTF AM I DOING Up

Bohizzle
12-02-2005, 08:28 AM
how're the DOMS? :evillaugh

Andrew

JoeG
12-02-2005, 08:49 AM
I know. I thought fessin up my ease my conscience. I will keep on my leg work out. I only did squats and deadlift. After I get a little better at them what should I add. That I am sure is not enough for a good workout is it?I do have a leg curl apparatus on my bench. Leg curls at the same time? Give me your thoughts. I know you will!!

I think I would curl up and die if I did Deads and Squats on the same day.

Listen, I am new enough at this to admit that I hate squatting. I also love it, sound odd? Well the truth is it makes me sore as hell but that really is a good thing. So even though I feel like I am going to die when I do them, it should be worth it.

If you think about it, what is a few minutes of pain compared to a lifetime of regret?

BigOldDad
12-02-2005, 09:16 AM
how're the DOMS? :evillaugh

Andrew

Lol. You bastages!! Lol

I guess not to bad. i am trying to do more walking at work today to try and keep them moving. Good thing next legs aren't until Tuesday. Or should I slip a little work on them Saturday? Or should i just let them rest until Tuesday?

dw06wu
12-02-2005, 10:47 AM
rest

BigOldDad
12-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks dw i was hoping you would say that!!

Bohizzle
12-02-2005, 11:50 AM
lol definately rest, i've got bad news for u though, everybody that i know that gets DOMS, gets them worst from legs on the second day. u'll learn to love the pain, but good job on keeping the legs moving, makes them feel a lot better.

Andrew

Sensei
12-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Lol. You bastages!! Lol

I guess not to bad. i am trying to do more walking at work today to try and keep them moving. Good thing next legs aren't until Tuesday. Or should I slip a little work on them Saturday? Or should i just let them rest until Tuesday?
Sometimes doing lighter squats will help alleviate some of that soreness - it won't hurt you. Just don't make a habit of training balls to the wall when you are still really sore from a previous workout.

Built
12-02-2005, 02:29 PM
And don't make a habit of training balls to the wall until you're in better shape - give your body a few weeks to get used to moving, okay?

BigOldDad
12-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Friday - 5:18 pm

Tonights workout- My workout partner is lifting a little bit heavier than me, just a touch. so I decide to cut my reps a little on my bench and stay with him in weight.

bench - 1x10@135- 1x8@155- 1x6@155
incline bench - 3x10@95
Shrugs - 3x10@95
curls - 3x10@45
triceps - 3x10@45
bent over rows - 3x10@65

He wanted to do military press and I let him talk me into moving it to the end of our workout. Not again cause I was spent and could not do them at the end

sitting shoulder press 2x5@65
crunches - 3x12

I added a couple to my crunches but I will make sure to do the sitting shoulder presses first before my bench on Monday.

DOMS :evillaugh getting worse.

7 down, 7,800 workouts to go!

Sensei
12-02-2005, 03:29 PM
Why aren't you posting training poundages?... ;)

BigOldDad
12-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Sometimes doing lighter squats will help alleviate some of that soreness - it won't hurt you. Just don't make a habit of training balls to the wall when you are still really sore from a previous workout.

Sensei- I only used the 45# bar for my squats, I don't know how much lighter I can go. Lol!

BigOldDad
12-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Why aren't you posting training poundages?... ;)

Embarrassed

Built
12-02-2005, 03:32 PM
I start most newbie friends doing squats with just their body. A really heavy person needs to start while holding a rail or a couple chairs to support their weight.

Built
12-02-2005, 03:33 PM
Embarrassed

Don't be silly! You're training now! Post up where you are, so you can see how far you've come in a month, in 6 months, in a year...

BigOldDad
12-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Built- I think I am OK with just the bar. I will work throught the pain and get to the next level. I still didnt get an answer on taking my dead lift and moving it to the MWF and maybe moving one of my MWF to TT any thoughts?

BigOldDad
12-02-2005, 03:36 PM
I will edit my post Coach!!

Sensei
12-02-2005, 03:36 PM
Don't be silly! You're training now! Post up where you are, so you can see how far you've come in a month, in 6 months, in a year...
EXACTLY! You're not "working-out", you're TRAINING.

BigOldDad
12-02-2005, 03:41 PM
OK tell me where i'm wussin out at.

dw06wu
12-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Wait, did you say you didnt move them? I do deadlifts with upper back, I definitely wouldn't want to do DL and squat on the same day. Then again, I never do more than like 10 sets per workout.

BigOldDad
12-02-2005, 04:20 PM
dw- i only did them once, my first legs workout was last night and yes I did deadlifts and squats in the same workout. I think I better move the deadlifts to my mwf and take maybe my bent over curls to my tt workout. I just talked with the wife and we are going to Dick's Sporting Goods tomorrow. I think a set of 20, 30 and 40 Dumbells will be in the car on the way home. I posted what weights I lifted with, do you think those increments of DBs sounds right?

Built
12-02-2005, 04:28 PM
Sounds good.

You have some 5 and 10 lb plates?

WBBIRL
12-02-2005, 04:41 PM
Sensei- I only used the 45# bar for my squats, I don't know how much lighter I can go. Lol!

Dont worry about it man, squats are a love hate thing.

Right now I hate them to death, because it looks alittle odd to see a 300lb man go in and only be able to squat 135 for reps (good full deep clean reps). Back when I was in 9-10th grade I LOVED squats, I think though that being able to squat over 500lbs was a big part of that.

After 10th grade I quit squatting, I maxed at somewhere over 500lbs. The summer of my 12th grade year I started going to a new gym and tried to squat again... I couldn't even do 135.

You'll work back up there, and the heavier you can get the better you'll like em.

BigOldDad
12-02-2005, 04:42 PM
Sounds good.

You have some 5 and 10 lb plates?

Yes Built 5s, 10s, 25s, 35s, 45s. What are you doin as far as Dbs go. What is your choices? They can get kind of expensive so I want to get maybe three different weights. What do you think? I never realy lifted with Dbs before. Don't know how to translate my BB into Dbs?

dw06wu
12-02-2005, 04:43 PM
For home weights, I like to just have my two DB adjustable rods, then buy a bunch of plates. A good way to not go craz is to buy like 4 or 6 adjustable rods, that way you can have a couple sets for your routine weight already setup w/o having to re-adjust them for every exercise. Of course, this is a little more expensive. I haven't used mine in forever cause I usually just go to the gym.

Built
12-02-2005, 04:45 PM
I think you'll be fine with those for a while.

I like to use a ligher DB to do rear delt work (face down side laterals on an incline bench), so I was asking you if you had any lighter plates - you can start them with a 10-lb plate in each hand, work up to a 10 and a 5 (a little awkward, but doable) then the 20s.

I've been doing them for four YEARS and I still only use 8 or 10 lbs a side for these - rear delts work does NOT look particularly manly, but if you ignore your rear delts, you'll start to round toward your chest as your front delts become more and more developed. I work my rear delts and mid trap HARD - keeps my shoulders looking square.

BigOldDad
12-02-2005, 04:48 PM
Damn dw I do have to Dbs that you can put plates on. I totally forgot about those. I think I would like the flexibility of not having to reset them up all the time so I think I will get me solid Dbs. I have a hundred burnin a hole in my pocket so I think I will buy some tomorrow. I think I will buy a couple more 10 plates and set one set of those that came with my weight set.

BigOldDad
12-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Just got back from Dick's Sporting Goods and the only dumbell i came home with was me. Remember that Ben Franklin that I was burnin to spend. He invited three of his brothers to spend with him. I thought I would post a pic of my garage/workout area. The rack on the right was today's investment. My wife said if i quit this next week she's gonna kick my ars. Guess I'll be liftin awhile!! Not only that GNC got me for another half a Ben Franklin. Guess my Christmas came early. I am excited to get workin on that new machine. I think it is going to help me out quite a bit. As i said before I liked working my triceps with a cable machine. This will do that. I bought 100% whey protein and creatine and Omega 3 fish oil caplets. I am going all out. I sure hope it pays off. I know it will!!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/iamthatiamgood/MyGymDec032005002.jpg

Built
12-03-2005, 02:42 PM
Hey, GREAT setup!

And the supps are spot-on. Stop by a U-brew one of these days and pick up some dextrose and you're set.

BigOldDad
12-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Built - You say get dextrose I'm on it. What's it intended to do? Is it a powder? Can I mix all my powders together to make one drink? Thanks.

tigo
12-03-2005, 02:55 PM
beautiful set up man

you should give your powerrack a name as you'll be spending alot of time with her ;)

you can put anytihng in a shake.. however i believe leave acidic stuff out if youre going to have creatine

BigOldDad
12-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Saturday - 5:50 pm

30 minutes on the treadmill

I mixed my 2nd loading of creatine with Orange Juice. Do you mean not to mix w/ acidic such as Orange Juice?

Built
12-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Don't drink orange juice at all - unless you totally love it and consider it a cheat food.

Just take creatine with water.

Built
12-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Built - You say get dextrose I'm on it. What's it intended to do? Is it a powder? Can I mix all my powders together to make one drink? Thanks.

Dextrose is a sugar, and the right one because it doesn't have fructose like regular sugar has. (Sucrose is half dex, half fructuse basically).

It's a fine crystal, and you can toss it into your postworkout shake with the creatine and the whey if you like.

U-brews sell it cheap because it's used in winemaking.

BigOldDad
12-03-2005, 04:26 PM
How is it for adding the calories? Actually so far according to my fitday I am actually staying in the 2200 calorie range. I guess it wouldnt hurt to add some. I still can't get it through my head I need closer to 3000 cals to just maintain. I got to believe with my lower caloric intake that my BF% is lowering. I mean I can tell without any fancy caliper or anything. There is less fat to pinch on my belly. Are you saying that I won't be able to add muscle though with this insufficient cal intake? I am eating allot of little meals so it seems like I am full all of the time. So I am not pressing to each a whole bunch to add to my cal intake.

tigo
12-03-2005, 04:32 PM
you can still add muscle. its jsut harder. i'm on a hard cut right now and i'm still progressing.. just slower than if i was on maintenance level calories or above

Built
12-03-2005, 04:38 PM
How is it for adding the calories? Actually so far according to my fitday I am actually staying in the 2200 calorie range. I guess it wouldnt hurt to add some. I still can't get it through my head I need closer to 3000 cals to just maintain. I got to believe with my lower caloric intake that my BF% is lowering. I mean I can tell without any fancy caliper or anything. There is less fat to pinch on my belly. Are you saying that I won't be able to add muscle though with this insufficient cal intake? I am eating allot of little meals so it seems like I am full all of the time. So I am not pressing to each a whole bunch to add to my cal intake.

Why do you think you need 3000 calories, bigdad?

And you're a newbie - newbies get to add some muscle while they cut calories and lose weight. Enjoy the honeymoon.

:)

I just measure out the dextrose by the tablespoon and put it into fitday as sugar. One tablespoon is 3 teaspoons.

BigOldDad
12-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Built- someone on here mentioned they thought I looked like I needed about 3200 for maintenance. I do not know that he had any scientific backing as to why he said it. Anyway is this 2200 OK then. At least while I'm on my honeymoon. Lol. When does the honetmoon end? When do I decide I need to go balls the walls. I never had anyone critique my poundage I was lifting. Do you think I am being to cautious?

Built
12-03-2005, 04:53 PM
Did you ever track YOUR food on fitday to find YOUR maintenance calories, (like I asked you....)?

muscleup
12-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Honeymoon usually ends after the first month or 2, depending on the person. That's why you hear most people quit after 3 months because the "easy" gains are just about over at that point. When in all reality they aren't.

No one can really tell you what weight you should be lifting. You have to figure it out on your own. Keep it cautious on the muscles that have never been worked in your entire life...i.e. your legs. Considering you are over the hill, you might try to play it safe all around for the first 1-2 months. Getting used to the lifts is important.
Make sure your form is ideal on any lifts you think you can go up in weight.

Built
12-03-2005, 05:09 PM
LOL@ over the hill!

Hahahahaha

Sorry, I'm in that boat myself. Hahahahahahaha

Good post though. Like "how many calories should I be eating", "how much should I be lifting" is "heavy for YOU". You're the only one who knows this.

For the first month or so, I'd suggest using a weight that you can JUST get through all your sets with, and use slightly higher rep ranges than you see the fellas using for now - just for a little while, until your body gets used to moving and you get your connective tissue ready for the heavier work that will come.

Increase whenever you can get through all your sets easily, drop the rep range a couple reps as a reward, build it back up.

BigOldDad
12-04-2005, 04:28 AM
Thanks Built and Muscleup. I never did a maintenace schedule on fitday I can't remember all the crap I used to eat before starting my diet. I mean I ate fast food and a 1/2 gallon of ice cream at a sitting and ate all the time. Whatever whenever so I can't really remember what exactly it was.No control at all. I got to believe I will lose BF on what I am eating now.I just don't know what the maintenance cals were. Built- orange juice? You said none. I thought orange juice was the miracle cure for everything? I do like it but drink it because I thought it was very good for you. I wish I would have bought a paper tape measure and took my measurements before and after. I will buy one today and get started on that. Thanks for everyones input. I really do appreciate it.

Sensei
12-04-2005, 05:57 AM
Honeymoon usually ends after the first month or 2, depending on the person. That's why you hear most people quit after 3 months because the "easy" gains are just about over at that point. When in all reality they aren't.
Don't be upset if you are not 'seeing' gains immediately. You should be 'feeling' gains very quickly though in weights used and your general sense of well-being/fitness.

Considering you are over the hill, you might try to play it safe all around for the first 1-2 months. Getting used to the lifts is important.
Make sure your form is ideal on any lifts you think you can go up in weight.Don't blow out anything, but don't worry so much about pushing yourself either... Give yourself 2 or 3 weeks and gradually ramp the weights, reps, and intensity up.
You played football, right? Then, I have to assume you have quite a bit of experience with weights(?) Just don't sacrifice form in your quest for size and shape.
edit: Nice home gym. I like the idea of naming your rack - How about spraypainting w. stencils "THE OTHER WOMAN" on it? ...wouldn't go over real well w. my wife btw...

SW
12-04-2005, 06:06 AM
This is a great journal.

Clifford Gillmore
12-04-2005, 06:15 AM
Thats a nice setup you have there.

BigOldDad
12-04-2005, 06:38 AM
Sensei- That name idea is great. I love it. A little spin off from that> Sig nif 2 ( my other significant other ) I have made it two weeks in a row doing really well with diet and training. Thanks for everyones support. It really does matter. It's like I have a whole fan club out there making sure I don't fail. It's a great feeling. Almost like I am at the gym with all of you pushing me. Anywho Thanks!!

Built
12-04-2005, 04:43 PM
An 8-ounce glass of orange juice has virtually no fiber and 27 grams of sugar, half of which is fructose.

A medium orange has 3 grams of fiber, 12g net of sugar (half of which is fructose) and at 60 calories, about half the calories of a glass of orange juice. Plus, it's fresh, where most folks don't drink fresh squeezed for their OJ.

If you feel you can afford the cals and don't mind the fructose, go ahead and drink OJ. On a cut, I'd prefer to take my 27g of carb from oats or sweet potato, and maybe eat a piece of fruit instead of chugging it.

I understand the problem with estimating baseline calories. 2200 sounds low for a man your size, but if you're not starving hungry on this, and you're losing well, leave it alone. Just make sure you're getting in plenty of protein and plenty of fat - they're both satisfying, they help preserve LBM, and the fats help support proper endocrine function (the saturated supporting test production, for example).

For you, at your weight, I'd suggest perhaps bumping the calories slightly to 2400 - if we assume your maintenance cals are at about 3000 a day, this would represent a 20% reduction in calories, which is actually quite a reduction unless you're doing something like UD2.0 or PSMF.

If we set your protein at 1.2g/lb LBM (assuming you're at around 20% bodyfat, which may be a little low, but not by much) and your fats at 0.6g/lb LBM, with a 20% reduction of calories, your diet could look like this:

Estimated LBM = 180 lbs.
Estimated Maintenance calories: 3000 per day.
A caloric deficit of 4200 calories per week,
for a loss of of 1.2 pounds per week

Average daily macros:
216g of protein,
108g of fat, and
141g of carbohydrate,
2,400 calories in total.

Think you could manage that, bud?

Once this gets comfortable and we see what happens to your body, we can adjust the calories a bit, and perhaps look at some carb/calorie cycling strategies.

galileo
12-04-2005, 04:49 PM
I'll bite. What happened on "Monday November the 21st"?

Sensei
12-04-2005, 04:54 PM
I'll bite. What happened on "Monday November the 21st"?Maaaan, you got to start at the beginning of the log...

galileo
12-04-2005, 04:57 PM
I read the first post, then gave up. I am lazier than credit me.

Built
12-04-2005, 05:03 PM
It was IN the first post.

Your reading comprehension is worse than mine.

galileo
12-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Die, Jezebel.

I didn't make it past that sentence and only did a brief scan for the date. I now know and you've shamed me out of this journal. Are you happy?!? WELL, ARE YOU?!?

Built
12-04-2005, 05:13 PM
I AM happy, but mostly because you called me Jezebel.

Oh, and because I'm eating.

And I'm not even hungry.

BigOldDad
12-05-2005, 04:17 AM
Die, Jezebel.

I didn't make it past that sentence and only did a brief scan for the date. I now know and you've shamed me out of this journal. Are you happy?!? WELL, ARE YOU?!?

You don't speak to my Coach that way!! Stay Out!!!

Built
12-05-2005, 09:25 AM
Hehehe...

I'd back off the hints to your wife - COMPLETELY. She'll either want to do it, or she won't. Stay out of it if you value your sex life - TRUST me on this one.

Sensei
12-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Listen to Built. It's good advice.

Utopianhopes
12-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Every time I read this journal, I get reminded how awesome it would be for my dad to be into weight lifting as much as I am. Anyway, keep up the good work. Seems like built will have you :whip: in no time.

BigOldDad
12-05-2005, 03:10 PM
Utopian- know what the sad part is. I have a 14 year old son that sits in the house on his lazy butt watchin Tv while his buddy and I workout. Even sadder is his buddy has a dad that has nothing to do with him. He played Varsity football this year and his dad never came to one game. I have always tried to be his bud cause I know his Dad doesnt do nothing with him. We started working out last Monday. I got an e-mail from the kid over the weekend Thanking me for taking the time to work with him. How he always heard me in the stands cheering for him and how great a feeling it brought to him. He told me he always kind of thought of me as his Dad. Man want to talk about fightin back tears. Funny how the Lord works. Anyway next year is his Senior year and he is as determined as I am to try and be the best he can be. As far as my son goes. i have tried everything to get him interested. He will have to learn the hard way I guess. Dude I am so psyched!!

BigOldDad
12-05-2005, 03:12 PM
Hehehe...

I'd back off the hints to your wife - COMPLETELY. She'll either want to do it, or she won't. Stay out of it if you value your sex life - TRUST me on this one.

Right again Coach!!

Pup
12-05-2005, 03:15 PM
That's a great story man...in life we seldom realize the impact actions that we think are simple can mean so much to someone else.

Sensei
12-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Your kid will probably come around Dad. Like w. your wife, encouragement will probably just be the same as nagging. Take him for walks or something. Connecting with him in other ways will probably make him more receptive to hanging out with you in the weight room.

My father was an OLer and when we were young, my older brother and I would go to the gym with him when he trained. I didn't do much except bodyweight exercises, but the habit was instilled early.
He doesn't lift anymore, but we still talk about lifting often and it's nice to hear him reminisce about York and some of the things and people he's seen and met.

edit: HEY! THIS JOURNAL IS TURNING INTO ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE DAMN BLOGS!!! LET'S SEE SOME WEIGHTS!

BigOldDad
12-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Monday 5:13 pm

Bench - 135x10, 155x8,155x8-Feeling more strength already!
incline Bench- 115x10x3
curls- 55x10x3
tri pull downs - 50x10x3
shrugs - 115x3x10
sitting cable rows - 70x3x10
crunches - 3x15

Feeling a little better about lifting slightly heavier. My lifting partner even noticed I didnt struggle on the Bench like last week. I was trying to be cautious just starting. I feel better tonight trying to lift a little harder. Like I said I want to feel comfortable before I go balls to the walls but man I feel really good tonight!!

We decided to keep the three day routine with the both of us instead of me going 5 days and doing legs on the off days. He needs leg work also so Wendnesday we are going to do( we want to always do Bench is that ok?)
Bench Press
Squats
standing Calf raises
abs

Friday
Military Presses
Bench
deadlifts
curls
tricep pull downs
abs

Is that to much? This is just a thought right now, please weigh in. Thanks

Built
12-05-2005, 03:29 PM
Definitely with Sensei on this one - connect with your boy in one of his hobbies - whatEVER it is - and leave the lifting and all talk of fitness and diet OUT of the conversation. Your own habit and the results that follow will say it all, LOUD AND CLEAR.

-TIM-
12-05-2005, 03:33 PM
EmbarrassedYou want embarrassed? Come look at my last workout entry. I won't even tell you how much I weigh. But Built had a great point. It may suck now, but you'll look back at it down the road and be able to see just how far you've made it. That's the only reason I can bare to post mine at the moment :(

Built
12-05-2005, 03:36 PM
On one of the boards I mod, I started a thread of our "li'l bitch weights" so the folks could see what is normal for starting, and what can reasonably be expected to be achieved as they progress.

We all get stronger. It doesn't really matter WHERE you start from - you'll be killing yourself to add another 5 lbs to the bar before long.

BigOldDad
12-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Honestly, I try to do everything with him. I have never missed any program he was ever involved with. He played football this year and started offensive line for the Frosh team. He is 14 and 6'-0'' 190#. I am very proud of him. I know how big and good he could be if he just did some training. I am trying my best just to leave him alone. Another one of the reasons I lift is to try and lead by example, hoping he will see me doing it and come around. If not though he will have to find his own way.

WBBIRL
12-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Yea, he should come around.

We all start somewhere, some start higher then others and some progress faster then others. Concentrait on you only and you will have no issues, I lost a good lifting buddy because he got upset about the fact I progressed about 2x as fast as he did. I told him not to worry about, focus on himself and just put hard work in but he ended up quitting.

BigOleDad, leadership by example man, pave the way and others will follow

dw06wu
12-05-2005, 04:47 PM
I think now as a beginner, you should only take bench once per week in order to gauge how your body grows. Later on in your lifting career, if you feel your chest is lagging, you could bump it up to maybe twice a week, but more than that is asking for overtraining and a big fat stinky plateau.

BigOldDad
12-05-2005, 04:54 PM
I don't know why we are so set on Bench every session. If you all think it's to much i will change it out of Wednesday lifting. I would still like to do it Mon/Fri. Any adds to Wed instead of bench?

Bohizzle
12-05-2005, 04:58 PM
I think now as a beginner, you should only take bench once per week in order to gauge how your body grows. Later on in your lifting career, if you feel your chest is lagging, you could bump it up to maybe twice a week, but more than that is asking for overtraining and a big fat stinky plateau.
Agreed. Try to keep everything to the same frequency.

Andrew

dw06wu
12-05-2005, 04:58 PM
It doesn't look to me like you are doing much for shoulders, so you are free to add some standing lateral raises and BO lateral raises on Wednesdays.

briancurran01
12-05-2005, 05:07 PM
nice work big old dad. I am just getting restarted myself, and you have great dedication bro.

Keep it up.

muscleup
12-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Wendnesday
Squats
Stationary Lunges OR RDL OR Good Mornings
standing Calf raises
abs
Friday
DL's
BO BB Rows OR BO DB Rows
Military Presses
BB curls

Fixed. :thumbup:

eyeofthetigerII
12-06-2005, 09:35 AM
keep up the hard work. dont slack

BigOldDad
12-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Tuesday - 5:40 pm

Whey Protein/Creatine/Water before start.

30 Minutes - treadmill. I use a fat burning program on the treadmill that basically starts you out at a slow walk for 5 minutes then progresses you up to a fast walk then to a slow jog and then to a fast jog. It cycles through every 15 seconds from a fast walk to a slow jog and then a fast jog. Last 5 minutes are warm down slow walk. It gets me sweat going so although it is not overstrenuous it has to do me some good.

My weight was 229.5 I decided I will weigh myself every morning after my Pee. Although the weight is not dropping I can still notice I don't have as much pouch so I think I am doing pretty well.

I had young lady that is a JV Volleyball player at my son's school that heard about us working out. She is actually the daughter of one of my wife's friends. Anyways she has asked to workout with us. I am the type that wants to help out anyone that has the desire and truly wants to be serious. I need to start looking into a good Volleyball routine. Any suggestions of course are welcome!!

Built
12-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Feed a weightlifting session, but do steady-state cardio empty.

tigo
12-06-2005, 05:04 PM
dont worry about the weight dropping.. your bodyfat% is probably dropping
its the same thing goingon with me.. been 210 for 3 months now on a cut but my bf% went from 22-17ish

SW
12-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Weighing yourself after you pee is great. I do it and so do alot of others.

muscleup
12-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Weighing yourself after you pee is great. I do it and so do alot of others.
:withstupi

Great time to weigh. Right after you get up and have your morning pee.

I recommend 1 time a week on the same day each week. No need to weigh every day.

What are the stats of your current lifting partner? Height/weight stuff like that. Not sure if you listed them earlier in the journal.
Does he seem motivated? You could really make that kid an explosive mofo for his senior football year with all the stuff you learn off this site.
From what you have said so far about him, I think he would listen to you.

tigo
12-06-2005, 07:01 PM
damn your son is big.. starting off in varsity frosh year

he has a lot of potential to become very very big.

BigOldDad
12-07-2005, 04:12 AM
damn your son is big.. starting off in varsity frosh year

he has a lot of potential to become very very big.

He didnt start for Varsity this year. He played freshman and got to play Junior Varsity. Our team won regionals this year and lost the Semi State. They are very good but only graduate two starting Seniors so next year may be the year. My son will have to work hard next year to even get a chance to play Varsity next year. Your right he has the potenetial to get big and strong and really make something of himself but I can't force him. He will need to make the decision for himself!

BigOldDad
12-07-2005, 04:14 AM
Feed a weightlifting session, but do steady-state cardio empty.

Built- are you referring to the protein drink I had before doing the treadmill?

You had said earlier to do the sups everyday. On the cardio days should I just drink it for breakfast? Before bed?

BigOldDad
12-07-2005, 04:22 AM
:withstupi

Great time to weigh. Right after you get up and have your morning pee.

I recommend 1 time a week on the same day each week. No need to weigh every day.

What are the stats of your current lifting partner? Height/weight stuff like that. Not sure if you listed them earlier in the journal.
Does he seem motivated? You could really make that kid an explosive mofo for his senior football year with all the stuff you learn off this site.
From what you have said so far about him, I think he would listen to you.

Muscleup- I want to tell you I went back through your journal and read it all. You have had a pretty impressive journey yourself. Great job. Inspiring. My workout partner is doing the same sets and weights as I.( he is 5'- 11' 185#) The only difference is that he needs to bulk and I need to cut. I of course listening to all the pro's on here and am telling him he needs to get a fitday account started so we can see where he is before we start his bulking diet. He promised me he would get it started yesterday. I will see how serious he really is when I speak to him tonight and see if he did what I recommended. I think he is very serious with the weight training. So far he is their and on time and psyched about doing the work. He played a little on and off Varsity for our football team and they finally realized he was the better of the players so he got a lot of playing time post regular season. He is talking wanting to be the biggest and baddest on the team with chance for having All State recognition. That is a pretty tall order but I admire his ambition. I will see if he has what it takes to keep the fires burning!!

Built
12-07-2005, 01:16 PM
The only reason I drink whey is to offset muscle catabolism post workout ( I actually sip it during), well-diluted in water, with dextrose and creatine. And I don't bother with it at all during a cut.

Whey is just food. If you can't get in enough protein from food, it's an option, but on a cut, you'll likely find you'll prefer to chew most, if not all, of your food.

That being said, the cardio you are doing is intervals. It's not quite HIIT yet, but you're on the right track.

I do very little cardio on a cut - I'll go for a brisk 20-30 minute walk in the AM empty, and/or 20 minutes of fast incline walking post workout. I'll occasionally tuck 8 minutes of sprint intervals into that post workout walk, but that's it. If you're going to do short (under an hour) cardio on a non-lifting day, do it in the AM empty or a few hours after eating, unless it's true HIIT, which you feed the same as a lifting workout.

BigOldDad
12-07-2005, 03:11 PM
Built- Ive seen the HIIT thing can you explain in a short term what that is?

Wednesday 5:05

Legs workout not great but a start

Squats-3x10@115
Calf raises-3x10@115
leg curls-3x10@55
cable pull downs- 3x10@60
crunches-3x10

That squat weight was decent enough that I felt it yet it wasnt to failure. I got to make sure my bum knees stay with me. Starting out I think I'll go with that for a couple of legs sessions and then go up a bit.

BigOldDad
12-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Built - Here is yesterdays fitday. Am I undereating?

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/DayFoodsTab.asp

dw06wu
12-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Built - Here is yesterdays fitday. Am I undereating?

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/DayFoodsTab.asp
To get your outside accessible link, click the home tab and copy the url in the box at the bottom.

muscleup
12-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Cool, you read my journal. Not really sure "inspiring" is the right word for it, but thanx for sayin that.

Did your lifting partner start a fitday account? What's his name, so I don't have to keep refering to him as lifting partner.
He should notice that when all the cals are down on paper, they usually don't add up to what you thought. But maybe he is a big eater and he wont have to worry about force feeding himself :D

Good job on the squats man. See, last time you were cursing the bar, and this week you hoisted up 115.

BigOldDad
12-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Muscleup-His name is Nathan. He is not into the squats either but we will overcome. He is not a good eater he likes the junk food. I called his mother tonight and told her to get him on better foods, more proteins if he is expected to bulk. He is still here without me even calling. He just shows up on time ready to work out so, I am sure he is committed to our program.

BigOldDad
12-07-2005, 04:55 PM
To get your outside accessible link, click the home tab and copy the url in the box at the bottom.

Can you be a little more descriptive for me dw. I am more computer iliterate than weight lifting iliterate.

Do I have to go to the fitday web page?and right click home? I need a step by step. I would like to do what you said.

Built
12-07-2005, 05:15 PM

go to "home" http://www.fitday.com/fg/home.gif

Click the button that says "Make My Journal Public!"

Copy and paste the link into your sig.

BigOldDad
12-12-2005, 04:28 AM
Fell off the wagon this weekend. Friday's snowstorm put a hamper on the work out Friday. tried to get my workout partner here on Saturday to make it up and it didnt work. Sunday my diet went to crap although I didn't eat any sweets but my portions went backwards. Need to start all over today!! Monday a new start to the new start. See what happens when the website goes down!!!

tigo
12-12-2005, 04:59 AM
one day isnt going to do anything in the long run.. and looking at your fitday.. i would say take out the pay day pro bar.. and make your own protein bars. its cheaper and probably tastes better 1) cuz you can customize it, and 2) cuz you know EXACTLY what is in it :)

WBBIRL
12-12-2005, 06:16 AM
People occasinaly have cheat days, and I think their a good idea. Lets you eat like you want to (within reason), gives your metablisom the thumbs up that your not trying to kill yourself (starvation) and I think it can sometimes even releave stress.

I would have about 3 per month, if it were me. Maybe you could get away with more then that.

BigOldDad
12-12-2005, 06:52 AM
I am more concerned on missing Friday workout than my eating habit yesterday. I will get right back on track today. I saw a recipe on here for homemade protein bars. I think I will give that a try!

BigOldDad
12-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Monday - Workout

Bench-135x10, 155x8, 155x8
sldl - 115x10x3
cable rows - 70x10x3
cable pull downs - 70x10x3
cable triceps - 50x10x3
curls - 55x10x3
shrugs - 115x10x3

Still trying to figure out what I am comfortable with, glad i got back on track after missing last Friday and cheating on my diet yesterday.

SW
12-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Getting stronger. Doing well, keep with it as it will take you places. Your bum knee should actually get stronger and be LESS prone to injury versus when you didn't lift.

BigOldDad
12-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks Nick-Had a slight step backwards but not to badly. My workout partner didnt show Friday but we had a significant snowstorm and I understood but today no show with no call. I hope he didnt bail on me already. Kids?

You still on track?

dw06wu
12-13-2005, 12:29 AM
Still trying to figure out what I am comfortable with, glad i got back on track after missing last Friday and cheating on my diet yesterday.
Occasional missed workouts and diet cheats can actually be quite beneficial. Don't let it discourage you; just try not to do it too often.

muscleup
12-13-2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks Nick-Had a slight step backwards but not to badly. My workout partner didnt show Friday but we had a significant snowstorm and I understood but today no show with no call. I hope he didnt bail on me already. Kids?

You still on track?

To be honest, this is why I chose not to have a partner. I used to have a partner, but he never listened to anything I said. He would come to the gym, (not wanting to 1/2 the time) and do my routine. And that's it. He wouldn't eat right, or do anything else I suggested. Finally he stopped coming. If you are not going to take ALL of the basis seriously, then what's the freakin point?!

Lots of ppl want to "lift" and be "ripped" or whateer, but they ignore the diet part of the equation, wonder why they never make any gains, and then eventually give up. Now, I'm not saying this is everyone, but there is a vast majority that fall into that category, and "kids" make up a large portion of it.

This forum will be the best partner you could ever have.

Good job on doing monday's routine alone.

SW
12-13-2005, 06:13 PM
He wouldn't eat right, or do anything else I suggested. Finally he stopped coming. If you are not going to take ALL of the basis seriously, then what's the freakin point?!

Lots of ppl want to "lift" and be "ripped" or whateer, but they ignore the diet part of the equation, wonder why they never make any gains, and then eventually give up.

Here you describe my cousin. He also tries to argue with ME, the one who's gettin stronger and getting goals. He just talks and goes nowhere. He also said to me "why do you always go on that dumb site?'. I just looked at him and wanted to kick him in the face with great force wrought of intense squats. I just looked at him and said "without this site I would be about half as strong as I am now". Sorry to hijack your jounal Old Man lol :D

WBBIRL
12-13-2005, 07:04 PM
Same deal with me....

Had a partner that would listen about 60-70% to what I said. He even was very good about going EVERY time and the biggest thing was maybe him being 10-20 min late. But he refused to squat or lift legs at all for that matter. He also refused to eat like I told him. His diet was clean but he didnt get enough good nutrients in him... he could have ate just the way he was but he needed to double his intake. The kid had a weight problem from about grade 7-10 and he dropped about 45lbs in 10th grade... from that point on he only ever ate bird portions for fear of gaining back weight.

On another, and on topic note.. you seem to be comming along nicely. Can't wait to see the progress pics.

BigOldDad
12-14-2005, 03:17 AM
I am not letting one person's lack of desire interfere with my goals. I must go on. My son actually came out and spotted for me. I am hoping he will catch the lifting fever at some point. Anyway, scale said 227.5 this morning, still not showing great gains on the scale but still see the difference in my pouch. I am sure I am losing bf. the 21st is my one month of lifting and dieting maybe I will throw a picture up to see if anyone can notice a difference. Still a long way to go. Thanks for everyone hanging with me. I do appreciate the WBB support!

BigOldDad
12-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Wednesday-4:50 pm - Legs Day

Squats - 155x3x10
Calf Raises - 155x3x10
Leg Curls - 55x3x10
Leg Extensions- 55x3x10
Military Press - 75x3x10
Crunches - 3x15

Pretty good workout. The 155 squat is 20# more than last week and feels just about right for working my legs good, will try to build from there.

tigo
12-14-2005, 03:48 PM
i say if you can do 3 x 10 for all those, raise the weight until you're just about failing on the last few reps of the third set :D I find it to be encouraging and a very accomplished feeling to put more plates on the bar

BigOldDad
12-14-2005, 06:29 PM
albanator- I promise I will add some weight as I go. I am dealing with old man syndrome. My body just isnt what it use to be. I have a spinal injury that i want to make sure I am easing into things and a couple of bad knee's to go along with the bad spine. I can't wait to get far enough along that i am lifting some of the weights you guys are lifting. I know what you mean by less reps and more weight and I am going to get there soon enough. I am in this for the longhaul so for once in my life I am going to be patient with my progress!!

Built
12-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Nothing wrong with working in the 8-12 rep range - particularly for us youth-challenged types.

I might suggest that you try to increase your current weights to 12 reps. When that's easy, increment by the smallest amount possible and drop the reps down to 8 (the reward for going heavy is going short). Work your way back up. Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

Keep doing this until you start getting long (over a month) stalls.

By then, your joints and connective tissue should be well-conditioned enough that you can start fiddling with some of the shorter rep-ranges, like 5x5, to break the plateau.

Built
12-14-2005, 06:43 PM
PS BOD, go read the last couple pages of my journal if you'd like a good laugh.

SW
12-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Great gains! Staying with it is paying good dividends, no?

BigOldDad
12-15-2005, 04:36 AM
I am making gains, yes. Truthfully I started a little bit light because I wanted to see how this spinal thing was going to react. The cons- I am getting numbness down my arms and my right leg more noticible since I have been working out. The Pros- I can notice better flexibility and my joint pains seem to be diminishing. I feel more strenth in my everyday activities and my belly is starting to melt away. Am I going to quit because I am afraid of the numbness. Nope!!! The 21st of December is my one month aniversary since I started my diet and workout. I have been very loyal to it so far. My plan is as Built has suggested is to start after that first month to customize my workout routine a little more. I have seriously been considering the 5x5 workout adding more weight. You will see it in my journal when if and when I do. Stay Tuned!! Once again Thank you for keeping me motivated. I do appreciate it!!

Sensei
12-15-2005, 04:49 AM
I am making gains, yes. Truthfully I started a little bit light because I wanted to see how this spinal thing was going to react. The cons- I am getting numbness down my arms and my right leg more noticible since I have been working out.I assume you've talked to a medical professional about this...

BigOldDad
12-15-2005, 05:25 AM
Sensei- You know what they say about assuming. No, I am not a big proponent of the Medical Field. I really need to be in a bad way before I will see a Doctor. I already went to see a Neurosurgeon once and he said he will have me back every 6 month's to do another MRI to see if my conditions require surgery or not. He also said as long as I am not actually having pain he would most likely hold off until it get's to that point. If things get unbearable for me or the numbness gets so apparent that I am damaging something worse I will go back and have them look it over again. Otherwise I can take a little numbness. I know I will never be like I was before the incident but can't help but believe this working out is more beneficial than not.

WBBIRL
12-15-2005, 04:24 PM
Be careful with injurys, old or new. Your getting up there in age and your body isnt what it was 15 or even 10 years ago. If it comes to surgery, dont be hard headed about it... it may take you at best months to heal up but thats a whole lot better then years of pain in my book.

McIrish
12-15-2005, 04:37 PM
Hey Pops I just wanted to say major kudos in getting into the gym this often, and for having goals and sticking to them - I think you'll make a great example to your son/wife/whoever else. I'm 22 and my dad's desire to stay healthy is something that keeps me motivated when I wake up and start making excuses for 'blahblah I could just skip *today*...'

At any rate, it's encouraging that you're so 'into' this change - stick with it and make sure you keep us posted. A month's a great start to a lifelong change.

BigOldDad
12-16-2005, 02:56 PM
Friday-Chest, shoulder, arms.

Workout sucked, nothing felt right from the get go. right elbow kept achin and giving out, weight felt heavy and couldnt get out full sets. Hope next week is better than today's.

Bench-135x10, 155x6, 155x6
incline bench- 115x8x3
cable rows- 80x3x10
cable front pull downs- 60x10x3
tri cable pulls- 50x3x10
curls- 55x3x8

Stopped there, wasnt into it at all today. My lifting partner bailed on me so now I have no spotter and can't push the last reps. Hope to find new one or talk Nathan back into lifting again.

Sensei
12-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Stopped there, wasnt into it at all today. My lifting partner bailed on me so now I have no spotter and can't push the last reps. Hope to find new one or talk Nathan back into lifting again. You really should just put a bench in your squat rack and bench there - that way you wouldn't have to depend on some teenager to show up for a spot. Although, it would probably be quality time w. your boy if he's game.

BigOldDad
12-19-2005, 03:42 PM
Here is my revised WBB that I started tonight. Let me know what you think and what changes you recommend. I am not sure on weights for Wed, Fri. I will make an excell file when I get everything in order and post it for review.

Mondays:

Flat BB Bench - 155x6x3
incline Bench - 135x6x3
cable pull downs - 90x10x3
cable rows - 90x10x3
deadlifts - 135x10x3
shrugs - 135x8x3
ab crunches - 10x3

Wednesday:

squats -
hack squats -
leg curls -
sldl -
standing calf raises

Friday:

Military press -
Narrow grip bench -
tricep cable pull downs -
curls -
preacher curls -
abs -

Sensei- I hear ya dude. I am going to give him one more shot. He didnt show again tonight but he did call and swears he will be there Wed. If not I am with you on a bench for my rack. Son has no interest!

SW
12-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Show the boy up!

BigOldDad
12-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Well here is one month loyal to my diet and workout. I can see by my little improvement to date, that I have a long row to hoe. I will keep hoeing!!

Nov 21, 2005
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/iamthatiamgood/bodybeforeNovember28th2005004.jpg

Dec 21, 2005
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/iamthatiamgood/workoutupdatepicDec212005001.jpg

I had a pretty good legs work out today.

squats - 135x3x10
leg curls - 60x3x8
sldl - 135x3x8
calf raises - 135x3x10
abs - 3x15

I can, I must, I will!!

Sensei
12-21-2005, 03:33 PM
WHAT THE HELL IS THAT CREATURE BEHIND YOU IN THE FIRST PIC??? Is that a gremlin?

Just so you know, I'm going to stop visiting your log if you keep slapping me in the face w. that first pic...

BigOldDad
12-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Sensei - sorry about the slap, just wanted do a comparison. I don't see any difference. I sure do feel better though. That gremlin is my wife's little chihuahua(sp?) I might see if I can get it to spot for me since no one else will. I will be buyin me a bench tomorrow or very soon. Don't give up on my journal I need a push from all you fine people!! Thanks!

muscleup
12-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Shaving your beared does not count as weight loss! j/k :D

I warned you about lifting partners. You're setting yourself up for dissapointment when your partner does not show.
When he doesn't show up, he is only hurting himself, and that's how you need to look at it. Plan each w/o like you will be doing it by yourself so there is no distracting confussion or dissapointment while you are lifting.

WBBIRL
12-21-2005, 05:02 PM
30 days isnt that long, im sure your BF% has dropped but you should see a better physcial change in about 3 months. GIT R DONE

tigo
12-21-2005, 11:46 PM
mmm i think it would probably be easier to see difference this early in the game from side view shots

still i see a bit in your belly.

debussy
12-22-2005, 12:11 AM
word of advice... dont listen to anyone who is weak as hell. wbb is full of 14yo who know nothing.... the worst is the 20+ yo who know nothing. check out their stats before taking their advice.

edit: drunk post... but you know what i mean. when you hire people to work for you, you wanna know their background.

Canadian Crippler
12-22-2005, 12:15 AM
^ Ignore him, he's wasted.

Sensei
12-22-2005, 05:14 AM
Drunk and not subtle, but true.

Sensei
01-01-2006, 07:12 AM
Sooo Dad..... are you still plugging away and just not logging everything or did you fall off the strength wagon?

tigo
01-01-2006, 10:07 PM
i am wondering as well pops

dw06wu
01-02-2006, 12:32 AM
I hope he didn't give up already.

BigOldDad
01-02-2006, 04:29 AM
I am here. I was out of town over the past week. I did not do well on diet or my workout. I am back this morning and ready to go again. I missed two workouts but will hit it hard again starting today. Thanks for asking. Will get me pumped to get going again!!!

BigOldDad
01-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Felt good to get back at it!!

Bench - 5x5 @ 160
incline Bench - 3x8 @ 135
Cable pull downs - 3x10 @ 90
Cable rows - 3x10 @ 90
Deads - 3x10 @ 135
Shrugs - 3x10 @ 135
Abs/Crunches - 3x15

Thanks for askin!!

Bob
01-02-2006, 03:49 PM
Good workout today BigOld.. sorry, I can't call you Dad, you are too young.. LOL..

Sounds like your WO today was actually stronger then your last.. maybe you needed that week of "rest".

Keep on progressing.. Your photos definitely show a different.. there is even a little vein popping in your left forearm..

From another person born in the '60s.. keep on Truckin'
Lift, eat, Sleep
Lift hard, Eat Right, Sleep enough..

BigOldDad
01-04-2006, 02:41 PM
I have decided to move towards the 5 x 5 workout. I am pretty happy with my workout this afternoon. I believe I still have more to do a little bit heavier weights and I will get there real soon. Here is today's.

Legs Day

Squats - 135, 145, 155, 165, 165
Leg Curls - 70, 80, 80, 70, 70
Standing calf raises - 135, 145, 155, 165, 165
SLDLs - 135, 145, 155, 165, 165

I am starting to actually find the squats to be satisfying ( yeah your all correct again. I know you told me so!! )

Built or anyone - If you see this can you look at my fitday and tell me if you
feel I am not eating enough to gain LBM. I feel full enough on what I am eating. I really can see a difference in my BF%. Thanks.

Mik
01-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Nice leg day BOD. Squats rock! But, then again, you know that. :)

Built
01-04-2006, 03:30 PM
You're cutting. Gaining LBM is probably not in the cards. But hanging onto it is, and for this, you are NOT eating enough, particularly protein and fat.

If we give you a modest estimate of 180 lbs of LBM right now, you'd need at least 180g protein and at least 90g fat daily. I'm not seeing this, and your calories are hovering at just under 2000. I would cut on YOUR current calories, and I'm just over half your size. I think your calories are too low.

BigOldDad
01-04-2006, 04:25 PM
OK. It is hard for me to think I need to eat more but I will do it. It seems that I am eating a light portion every couple of hours. I think I need to add a better high protein dinner time meal. I will do so. Thanks as always!!

Sensei
01-04-2006, 07:23 PM
I have decided to move towards the 5 x 5 workout. I am pretty happy with my workout this afternoon. I believe I still have more to do a little bit heavier weights and I will get there real soon. Here is today's.

Legs Day

Squats - 135, 145, 155, 165, 165
Leg Curls - 70, 80, 80, 70, 70
Standing calf raises - 135, 145, 155, 165, 165
SLDLs - 135, 145, 155, 165, 165
So, are you doing 5 reps with each of these sets then, Daddy-O?

BigOldDad
01-05-2006, 05:06 AM
Yes, Sens 5 reps of each weight. I like this workout. The squats are definately coming around. I do like doing them now. I can definately feel the burn in my legs and it feels like my ars is starting feel a little smaller. I will keep trying to up my weights, slowly but surely!

Sensei
01-05-2006, 02:27 PM
That's quite a workout - nice job!

BigOldDad
01-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Thanks Bud - I think I am ready to take it to the next level!! I feel harder around the pecs and I feel like changes are starting to happen. Really pumped.

BigOldDad
01-07-2006, 06:54 AM
Missed Friday workout just didnt feel good. Got up this morning and went right to the garage and lifted.

Saturday-Shoulders, Bi,Tri

Military Press- 75, 95, 95, 95, 95
NG Bench- 95, 105, 115, 125, 125
Tri cable pull down- 60, 70, 70, 70, 70
Curling bar- 55, 65, 70, 65, 65
Crunches- 3 x 15

Hope to keep improving. Really starting to see a little growth in my muscles. When did you say the honeymoon was over!!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/iamthatiamgood/workoutupdatepicJanuary72006001.jpg

Bob
01-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Nice morning WO BigOld.. some real progress over a short period
I don't think the honeymoon is ever really over.. LOL..
Especially for us >40... hahaha
The progress in the mirror, scale and PRs.. is enough for me.. :-)

Stumprrp
01-07-2006, 07:37 AM
great progress pop, i hope the new year bring great goals!

BigOldDad
01-08-2006, 01:55 PM
I thought i would post a picture of one of the reason's I am lifting. I want to get strength built for this.
This one is me getting beat at the finish line I am #021.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/iamthatiamgood/sweet16june25200501.jpg
This is a small tabletop I am jumping.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/iamthatiamgood/sweet16june252005.jpg

Anyone who has never raced Motocross has no idea what endurance and strenth it takes. I am looking forward to having a great season next year since I will be lighter and leaner and much stronger!

Bob
01-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Awesome Big Old.. MX is the best.. had dirt bikes until I was 20-something..
And had a couple of cousins who would race..

Good Luck.. looks like you are well on your way..

BigOldDad
01-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Hey Bear- can be dangerous but it is exhilerating.

Todays workout

Bench - 135, 145, 155, 165, 165
incline Bench - 95, 125, 135, 135, 135
cable pull down - 90, 110, 110, 110, 110
cable rows - 90, 110, 110, 110, 110
Deadlift - 135, 145, 155, 165, 175** yes got a 175 on the bar for the first time.
shrugs - 135, 145, 155, 165, 165

Felt good, can't wait to get that 175 on the Bench!!!

Built
01-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Hey

Just looking at your fitday - protein isn't high enough. I'd move some of the carb calories into protein, k?

dw06wu
01-09-2006, 04:55 PM
damn dude that is a lot of volume. My typical bulk workout is like 1/5 of what you got there.

Built
01-09-2006, 04:55 PM
I agree - you need LOWER volume on a cut, not HIGHER volume.

Utopianhopes
01-09-2006, 07:59 PM
damn dude that is a lot of volume. My typical bulk workout is like 1/5 of what you got there.

This journal is just too funny.

Keep up the good work. By the way, you can't continue doing this anymore. You will start putting a lot of us young guys too shame..lol

BigOldDad
01-11-2006, 10:57 AM
OK- I am confused once again. Should I not be doing 5 sets of 5 reps? Lower the sets or reps? I thought that is what a 5 x 5 workout consisted of. Built my nutrition? My head is spinning. I am really trying but I guess I still need directive. I think I will take a nap. I feel like an overwhelmed Blonde.

Built
01-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Your volume looks fine, actually.

The diet, though ...

Sensei
01-11-2006, 11:28 AM
OK- I am confused once again. Should I not be doing 5 sets of 5 reps? Lower the sets or reps? I thought that is what a 5 x 5 workout consisted of. Built my nutrition? My head is spinning. I am really trying but I guess I still need directive. I think I will take a nap. I feel like an overwhelmed Blonde.Don't fall into the trap of overanalyzing things, but 30 sets in a single session is quite a bit of volume. As a general rule, 20 sets should be at the high end. 5x5 should be on your main exercises - it doesn't have to be on EVERY exercise.

Built
01-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Was it 30?

Yes, 20 is about right.

I like to do a 5x5 compound followed by a 3x8-12 concentration for a lot of my training.

dw06wu
01-11-2006, 12:08 PM
This journal is just too funny.

Keep up the good work. By the way, you can't continue doing this anymore. You will start putting a lot of us young guys too shame..lol
I didnt mean to confuse or go against what's been recommended. I was just making an observation, lol.

BigOldDad
01-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Okay- Today is legs day.

Squats- since i am assuming this is my main compound lift I need to do the 5 x 5 on this exercise?

Leg Curls
Standing calf raises
SLDL

I should cut these back to 3 x 8 or 10?

I will get the hang of it.

So my Bench press, Squats and maybe deadlifts do a 5 x 5 and the rest do 3 x 8?

Built how should i convert my carbs to protien as you suggested?What foods?

Built
01-11-2006, 02:42 PM
whatever foods you want - meat, cottage cheese, egg whites ...

BigOldDad
01-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Ok-here is todays workout.

Squats - 135x5, 155x5, 165x5, 175x5, 185x5 - Yes that is the heaviest weight I have had on my bar yet. I completed the set, barely but did complete it. My legs feel like rubbbbber.

Leg Curls - 70x8, 70x7, 70x5 - just ran out of ooomph

Calf Raises - 135x8, 155x8, 175x8

SLDL - 135x8, 155x6, 175x6 I am shot no more, light headed.

Man it really felt great.

Built - Here is my stats for today- Cals2383/fats90/carbs200/protein193
Should i try and maintain this?

On the workout. Should I back off one set on the squats to try and meet the 20 rule? Thanks for all your input. Greatly appreciated

Bob
01-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Nice WO bigOld..
I think you are well within the 5x5 and 20 "rules".. I am only counting 14 sets you did today...

My only suggestion would be to put the SLDLs before the leg curls..
Not a lot of WBB folks are fond of the leg curls - I am - especially for building stability around the knees - especially for us older guys...
But I do put them after SLDLs.. so I can go a little bit heavier on those..

Built
01-11-2006, 03:59 PM
I agree, compound before concentration.

And I'd strongly suggest switching to RDLs (http://www.muscletech.com/TRAINING/HUGE_HAMSTRINGS/index.shtml) from SLDLs.

BigOldDad
01-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Thanks Bear- The 20 rule. Let me see if i understand this correctly. I did three sets of whatever x 6 that makes 18 reps on any given exercise. Is this what we are talking about? Maybe I can get a better explanation.

Built- I like that site i do believe I will do the RDLs and I like the way the Good Mornings look also. I probably don't want to replace my squats with these but I don't believe I want to add them with Squats and RDLs either. Do you just add them into a different days workout. Maybe I need to revise my workout. Again. Maybe doing a full body split is the way to go. I think I am going to go back through your Journal and thoroughly digest your workout/split. Anyway you didnt comment on my today's nutrients intake. Thank you.

BigOldDad
01-11-2006, 04:32 PM
OK- I went back through and by reading Sensei's comment on the twenty rule I understand that. I will be alright on my Wed - Legs workout because I don't do as many different exercises as I do on Monday/ Friday. I get it now. I will do 5 sets on my compound lifts and 3 sets with a few more reps and/or heavier weights. I am starting to understand. You would think i was 10 years old. ( If only I could do it all over with the knowlege i have now) God life would be different!!

dw06wu
01-11-2006, 05:48 PM
You would think i was 10 years old. ( If only I could do it all over with the knowlege i have now)
Dude no way. You are getting this 10x faster than everybody else. Lots of people go months or even years before figuring this **** out the right way.

You're so money and you don't even know it. You're like a big ****in bear with claws, man. Huge ****ing claws, with the teeth, and the claws, man. With that, you are like what do I do with the bunny!?!?

BigOldDad
01-12-2006, 04:37 AM
DW - That has to be some of the funniest s**i I have seen to date. But actually very inspiring. Your Damn right!!! I am goin to keep going until I can take the biggest ( overaged ) bear in my pack!!! LOL!!

Built- Thanks for the response and good info!!

Utopianhopes
01-12-2006, 07:36 AM
You're so money and you don't even know it. You're like a big ****in bear with claws, man. Huge ****ing claws, with the teeth, and the claws, man. With that, you are like what do I do with the bunny!?!?

Lol...I am so qouting this.

Mik
01-12-2006, 07:44 AM
And I'd strongly suggest switching to RDLs (http://www.muscletech.com/TRAINING/HUGE_HAMSTRINGS/index.shtml) from SLDLs.

Good clip. Makes me think I should give these a shot instead of stiffies.

dw06wu
01-13-2006, 11:02 AM
words
It's actually a poorly retold line from swingers, but I felt it applied here, :thumbup:

BigOldDad
01-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Head cold took me over yesterday, I made an effort but it wasnt a good session at all.

Military press - 65x8, 85x8, 85x8
NG Bench - 85x8, 95x8, 95x8
Cable push down - 70x5, 70x5, 70x5
Curls - 65x5, 65x5, 65x5
Crunches - 3x15

I know this was lame but I felt weak and just didnt have it today. Hope I feel better for Monday's workout. I want to try and increase my Bench a little.

Built
01-14-2006, 05:42 PM
Hey, don't push yourself when you're sick.

Take care of yourself.

McIrish
01-14-2006, 05:44 PM
hey Pops keep up the great work - those numbers are jumpin up and im sure you've gotta feel the effects of workin out for a few months now. Now, if only I could convince MY dad to work out like that...

BigOldDad
01-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Pops- I love that. It was just yesterday I was callin some other old guy Pops. lol. I tell you what I will still mix it up with you young dudes. Recovery time is just longer these days. Thanks. I am seeing and feeling the effects of my working out. It makes ma want to lift harder and stronger. The support I get here really does make a world of difference. This is my only support. Don't really get to much from the wife and kids. I think they believe it's just another phase I am going through but I think they are now starting to see some results and believe I am very serious. Thanks to everyone!!

WBBIRL
01-15-2006, 04:40 PM
Havent been back in here for a while.

How much weight have you lost so far??? Motivation is nice, but for some of us (me to stop beating around the bush) we just have to make/find our own motivation. This board helps with that but at the end of the day I know im alone in my battle, Im the only one left standing and its me that will make the final differece. You just gotta live every day like its 4th and goal on the 1 man.

Props to sticking with it this long

BigOldDad
01-16-2006, 08:01 AM
WB- I am hearin ya brother. It's those who can find the inner strength that will prevail.

I have today off work for MLKD. So I did a morning workout. Head cold and all I reached personal best on a few exercises. The bigggest to me is the Bench. I know 200 # is not far around the corner. I never really tried maybe I can do it now but with no spotter, I will wait.

Bench - 135x5, 145x5, 155x5, 165x5, 175x3- Yes!
Incline - 115x8, 135x6, 135x6
cable pull downs - 90x8, 100x8, 110x8- little more
cable rows - 90x8, 100x8, 110x8- little more
RDLs - 135x8, 155x8, 175x8- I substituted Romanians on a suggestion by Built, she told me to sub them for stiffies. I sub them today for Deads let me know if I made a mistake and I will correct next workout.
Shrugs - 135x8, 155x8, 155x6- wore out.

On another note, I decided to go to the library so I could futrther my nutrition knowledge. I got a book called food for fitness by Chris Carmichael. He works with Lance Armstrong. What I have read so far is very usefull ( reinforces some of what I learned here ) I know how important the nutrition is, I need to work harder on that side of my training. Thanks again for all the support.

Sensei- cant wait to get a real picture on here, one that wont make you scared!! Lol.

Sensei
01-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Sensei- cant wait to get a real picture on here, one that wont make you scared!! Lol.
As long as there's no gremlin in the background, I'll probably be ok...

tigo
01-18-2006, 06:05 PM
On another note, I decided to go to the library so I could futrther my nutrition knowledge. I got a book called food for fitness by Chris Carmichael. He works with Lance Armstrong. What I have read so far is very usefull ( reinforces some of what I learned here ) I know how important the nutrition is, I need to work harder on that side of my training. Thanks again for all the support.

thats a great idea.
i'm going to do it too hahaha :p :p

BigOldDad
01-19-2006, 04:32 AM
Well it's Wednesday - Legs Day

Squats - 135x5, 155x5, 175x5, 185x5, 190x5 - I am pushing to hit 200# and hoping for it on the Bench, but looking like maybe the squats will get there first. I was spent though after my squat work.

Calf Raises - 135x8, 155x8, 175x8

Leg Curls - 70x8, 70x6, 70x5

Bent over Rows - 115x8, 115x8, 115x8 - Now I usually do SLDL on this day but Built recommended me doing RDLs instead of stiffies and I replaced my Deads with RDLs on Monday and I am all screwed up with my routine this week. I threw in some bent over rows today instead of SLDLs and didnt want to do heavy squats and deads in one day so I did BO Rows. I will get back to my regular schedule next week.

I think I am doing better at getting my cals/proteins maximized. I am still sitting at 227# but think the BF% is lowering slightly. I can still visualize a difference. I still have a good mindset and am not even hesitating to get out and do my workout, so I feel real good about everything so far. Once again thanks for stopping in and giving me a little boost of encouragement.

BOD

bschatz88
01-19-2006, 07:53 AM
Nice squatting, and bent over rows rule!

lilmase1153
01-19-2006, 11:34 AM
yeah BB BO rows are my fav exercise for my back.. Great job squating 2pp is right around the corner

sheparay
01-19-2006, 12:42 PM
how about posting some new pics?? Keep up the good work!

BigOldDad
01-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Shep- I can't post anymore pics until I don't look like a huge Blob. It irritates Sensei. If you get a look at the weights Sensei throws around you dont want to irritate him. Lol!! I started on Nov 21st and reposted pics on Dec 21st. Will do the same on Jan 21st and so on. Dont know how much difference you can see but I will post none the less!

Sensei
01-19-2006, 02:54 PM
You know I'm only joking, right? :)

BigOldDad
01-20-2006, 06:08 AM
Ya Sensei I know. Thanks Bud!!

SW
01-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Wow, you're learning fast and also getting much stronger. I commend you for sticking with this, it's making you a better human being. Realize this.

BigOldDad
01-20-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks Nick- I don't know I will ever get to where you and alot of the other big boys are at but I will keep working. 200 on the Bench is my first milestone I am wanting. I will get there maybe soon. Anyway thanks for stopping in and giving me encouragement I appreciate it. I will keep going!!!

bschatz88
01-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Wow, you're learning fast and also getting much stronger. I commend you for sticking with this, it's making you a better human being. Realize this.

Hatfield Philosophy.

BigOldDad
01-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Well I have my workouts on an excel file and I have found a way to upload them to the web so I think I will just keep posting my updated file.

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43c12311_8162/bc/BODS+Weeky+Lifting+Routine+01-16-06.xls?bf2Do0DBopnHVYsJ

sheparay
01-21-2006, 01:44 PM
huh, wouldnt open up for me. I'm sure it looks great though!!! Keep it up!

BigOldDad
01-22-2006, 09:21 AM
I thought I would add a 2 month picture. Doesnt look like to much progress but we all have to start somewhere. I feel I am making some gains.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/iamthatiamgood/workoutupdatepicJanuary212006006.jpg

I will keep doing a monthly update. Can't wait until I get one that Sensei gives the atta boy on!!

Bohizzle
01-22-2006, 09:58 AM
belly looks smaller, and everything looks a little bigger (especially legs!) good job! keep it up!

Andrew

tigo
01-22-2006, 04:52 PM
looking good pop you're definitely doing well.. i dont understand what you mean by doesn't look like much progress... maybe its cuz you see yourself daily? we only see yu once a month so i can see a bunch of progess

BigOldDad
01-24-2006, 04:52 AM
My father always told me when I was growing up that life is a long series of peaks and valley's. Who says Mondays cant be good. Last Friday my son came home and says. Dad some of the guys asked me to start working out with them, I think I will start on Monday. ( some of you who follow my journal know the background on this ) Yesterday I go a little early to pick him up and he is really working hard. Proud and relieved. Anyway so we get home and I of course have to do my workout. I warm up and go to the Bench. I do my usual 135, 145, 155, 165x5 went up like it was nothing. I decide it is goal day!! I go get my son to spot. I have Fall Out Boys - Dance,Dance crankin on my mp3 player I was pumped. 200 # Bench as you know was my first Benching goal. Baby I got it not only once I went for the second and got it!! I was phsyched!!! Here is the rest of my workout that went just as well.

Bench - 135x5, 145x5, 155x5, 165x5. 200x2!!!!
Incline - 135x5, 145x5. 145x5
Cable pull downs - 110x8, 120x8, 120x8
Cable Rows - 110x8, 120x8, 120x8
Deads - 175x5, 195x5, 205x5- another PR
Shrugs - 135x8, 145x8, 145x8

Anyways I don't know if I have just been a whimp lifting light or if I am really gaining the strentgh. Either way I am really pumped. Cant wait to lift Wednesday!!!

New Bench Goal - 225#

Bob
01-24-2006, 07:03 AM
AWESOME Dude...
Ya gotta love when those goals are passed with flying colors...
Keep up the heavy lifting.. 225 should be a breeze in a couple of weeks..
Congrats on the son too.. sounds like you might be doing some additional bonding in the WO room.. :-)

BigOldDad
01-24-2006, 08:32 AM
Wow Bear - you think that 225 is obtainable in a couple of weeks. I was thinkin March. I guess I really don't know what to expect.

Sensei
01-24-2006, 08:36 AM
Nice job Daddy-O!

eyeofthetigerII
01-24-2006, 10:20 AM
good to see your son is lifting. see how much being an example helps. keep up the awesome work man, and the results will become obvious.

BigOldDad
01-24-2006, 10:34 AM
I would like to think it was my example setting that did it. Nonetheless for whatever reason he has finally made the decision i am thrilled.