PDA

View Full Version : I have gas.

intargc
12-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Ok, I started a journal a while back but lost track for some reason... I'm starting over. In my signature you can find a link to my fitday journal to see my eating habbits if you'd like.

Thursday - Legs
Smith Squat - 80x12, 130x12, 200x6, 200x6
Hack Squat - 240x8, 250x7, 250x5
Leg Curls (done very slowly) - 75x9, 90x6, 90x5
Standing Calve Raises - 135x10, 135x10, 135x10

Comments
I'm using the smith machine for squats because I don't have to use both arms/hands to steady the bar. My right shoulder will dislocate if I try to squat and steady a bar with my arm in that position. I know this sounds crazy, but it's happened already. I have to get surgery. However, for now, I'm squatting on the smith and keeping my right arm immobolized by crossing it over my chest. However, I can still feel how weak it is when I squat. It's rather scary. You really don't have any idea how a squat can put pressure on your whole body until you feel a loose and easily dislocated shoulder squirm from the pressure. Before anyone asks, no I'm not sitting the bar directly on the shoulder. It's resting across my traps. However, it still feels bad. But, I want to squat... shoulder dislocation or not. I'll get surgery on it as soon as I get to a weight I'm happy with.

For standing calve raises, I'm noticing that my right leg gets most of the workout for some reason. No matter how hard I try to focus the weight on both legs, I feel more burn and use in my right calve. Is there a way to isolate this? Maybe an exercise that works one calve at a time or any special tricks to make sure both calve muscles are getting equal time on the standing calve raise?

-TIM-
12-01-2005, 02:14 PM
I have gas too. I wouldn't worry about feeling the burn in one calf over the other, unless the one is growing noticably larger than the other. Not feeling a burn, or soreness, doesn't mean the other calf isn't being worked.

But if you would like to work one calf at a time, then there are a number of ways to do so. You can do seated or standing with one leg. You'll have to drop the weight significantly, and I'd still keep the non-working leg in position, just for balance, and keep it limp. Or you can do single calf raises in the sled press. You can also do standing one leg raises on a platform holding a DB. Use the free hand to stabalize yourself on a bench or piece of equipment at an adequate height. Hope those descriptions make sense :p.

intargc
12-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Thanks Tim.
Yeah, they make sense. I just tried the one legged standing calve raise a few different ways and it just never felt comfortable or in good form... I guess I'd have to get used to it.

intargc
12-03-2005, 01:46 PM
Saturday - Arms

Shoulders
External Rotation (Warmup) - 20x12, 20x12
Seated DB Shoulder Press - 45x8, 50x6, 50x6
Lateral Raises - 20x10, 20x10
Forward Raises - 20x9, 20x9

Triceps
Skull Crushers - 40x15, 70x11, 75x7 (Need to go up)
Arm Extensions - 90x7, 90x6

Biceps
BB Curls - 65x12, 75x8.5, 75x7
Preacher Curls - (L)30x8 (R)30x6, (L)35x6, (R)35x6 (Last two were assisted on right arm)

Comments
I'm trying to go up in weight on biceps... It's very hard. However, I'm forcing more weight on there because I feel like I've been at a plateu for the longest time.

Saturday's are the worst days for gym etiquette. I think at my gym you get a lot of people that just wake up and say "Hmm, I think I'll hit the gym and get buff."

First of all, there were these two older men that were walking around and thought they were just all that and a bottle of vodka. You had a severly out of shape man trying to tell a somewhat inshape man what to do and how to do it. Not only was he telling him how to do cable flies incorrectly, he was making an ass out of himself. Now, the reason I don't like these men is because they were all up in my space while I was doing DB presses. The cable machine was next to me, but you had this fat dude standing in front of the other guy yelling at him "SQUEEZE! SQUEEZE!" and in order to do this he has to stand with one foot in front of the other and his rear foot was all in my area. I had to make sure I didn't drop the weights on his foot in other words. After he was done yelling at his partner, he would slap him on the shoulders and such while the other guy walked around squeezing his fists together with a "I can kick you ass!" look on his face. During rest periods, the out of shape one couldn't stand still. He was walking back and forth telling the other guy all about how to work out. These people just irk me for some reason... I can understand getting pumped, but these guys were just showing off.

Secondly, we had this guy that just broke the patience. I usually get in the gym, do my thing, get out. I don't talk to anyone and don't care about etiquette, but every bench this guy went to, he'd leave his massive pile of sweat all over the bench. I saw him do it on one bench. Then he came to the incline bench next to me. I said to myself "Ok, if he does that again, I'm just going to go off." Yeah, he did. This guy was REALLY sweating too. He even put his DB's up and walked to the bench, stared at his sweat on the bench, shrugged his shoulders and walked off. So, I put my bar down, walked up to him at the water fountain and said "Dude, are you done on that incline?" He say's "Yep! All yours!" and I said "Well how about you wipe it down next time so I can use it, ok? Thanks man." and he just looked at me like I was an ass and said "Yeah... ok, I can do that." He never came over and wipped it down... He just left.

-TIM-
12-03-2005, 02:51 PM
What does your split look like? I see a leg day, and an arm/shoulder day. Is back and chest together, or are they seperate, making a 4 day split? If it's a 3 day, then I would suggest a split like this"

Day 1 - Legs
Day 2 - Chest/Tris
Day 3 - Back/Bis

That might give you the most bang for your buck. Just a suggestion is all :p.

intargc
12-03-2005, 02:59 PM
What does your split look like? I see a leg day, and an arm/shoulder day. Is back and chest together, or are they seperate, making a 4 day split? If it's a 3 day, then I would suggest a split like this"

Day 1 - Legs
Day 2 - Chest/Tris
Day 3 - Back/Bis

That might give you the most bang for your buck. Just a suggestion is all :p.

Tim,

Yes, I just started my journal on my leg day, so I don't have chest up here yet. However, I'm doing the WBB #1 with preacher curls thrown in instead of hammer curls and forward raises thrown in instead of military press and DB Bench instead of BB bench. The reason I've changed it up a bit is because I have already been doing the WBB #1 for about 4 months, so I just threw some changes in on the area where I started to plateau. Everything else I was and still am making improvements on.

intargc
12-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Tuesday - Chest / Back

Chest
DB Bench Press - 40x12, 70x8, 70x8
Incline Bench - 90x12, 155x5, 155x6
Hammer Iso-Decline - 80x8, 85x6 (each arm)

Back
Lat Pulldowns - 100x12 (Warm up)
Pullups - BWx8, BWx9
Hammer Iso High Row - 90x7, 90x7 (each arm)
Deadlift - 90x12, 155x8, 175x8
Shrugs - 270x10, 280x10

Abs
Crunches - 12, 12, 12, 12
Decline Reverse Crunch - 12, 12, 12, 12

Comments
I felt strong today... Although, I'm sure it has a lot to do with changing my diet around and eating better and a lot more.

I feel I can go up in weight in Deadlift. Probably about 200, but holy crap my hands have a tough time holding onto the weight as is... I'm going to have to invest in some wrist straps!

I've gone up a lot in DB Bench, but only because before I dislocated my shoulder about a month ago, I was at 75x6. I'm gradually getting back up there. I'm hoping next week I can get back to 75x6 again and then 2 weeks after that at least get up to 80x? My incline increased this week as well. I went down on the Hammer Iso-Decline only because when I was doing 90lbs and arm last week, it was in bad form. The form was much much better today.

There is this dorky older man that works out when I do. He drives me nuts. His form is absolute sh*t on EVERYTHING he does. When he benches, he thrusts his entire lowerback and butt off of the bench. When he does curls, He uses the EZ Bar and completely throws his back into it on each curl. Not to mention his arms never stay by his sides. I can't express on here how much this guy uses his back on those curls. It's amazing to me. His knee's are bench and he's at a complete curve when he finally gets it up to his face. Yes, face. He moves his arms up quite a bit. So as far as I can tell, his back, legs and shoulders are getting all the work there. I just want to throw a 10lb weight at him sometimes. He just does WAY more than he can handle. he's curling 90lb's and let me tell you, if I were to walk up to him and tell him, stand straight, keep your elbows to your sides and don't move your upper arm! He wouldn't be able to curl anymore than 60lbs.

Hatred
12-06-2005, 01:17 PM
HA! to your avatar.

intargc
12-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Cat's in hoodies rock. So do rabbits with pancakes on their head and unammused ostriches.

http://dean.cleancode.org/images/cathoodie.jpg

http://dean.cleancode.org/images/pancake3.jpg

http://dean.cleancode.org/images/notamused.jpg

intargc
12-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Thursday - Legs
Smith Squat - 80x12, 210x6, 210x6
Hack Squat - 250x6, 255x6
Leg Curl - 60x12, 90x7, 90x6
Standing Calve Raises - 150x10, 150x10, 150x10

Comments
I've had a crappy day today. Work is pissing me off. The people I work with are pretty much just rude. I'm working on a project where I have no idea what's going on and whenever I ask questions, I get short, vague answers and the more questions I ask or the more I ask them to elaborate, the more pissed off they get. So, me, not wanting to cause turmoil in the work place, I go back to my desk, sit at my screen and look at code and try to figure it out for myself. The project is H U G E. So, it's very hard to get anything done without someone kind of pointing it out for you and saying "Ok, start here. Copy this function, change the algorithm a bit, cross your t's and dot your i's." But, that's not happening here it seems. What's even worse is that I'm supposed to be coding for the "security team" on items that have to be updated for security reasons on Monday and I don't even have 1/4 of this project done. I'm stressed out right now. Fortunately, stress helps me in the gym! Notice my small but wonderful increases in todays legs compared to last week!

I read this posting (http://www.beyondlowcarb.net/index.php?topic=18.0) on a site Built pointed me to. I get so pissed off when I read these because I know they're true. Why do I get pissed off and know they're true? Well, because I can't help but use the damn smith machine for squats!!! As I've stated time and time again, my shoulder dislocates when in the position of balancing a free bar on my traps/shoulders. I've tried positioning my elbows in many different ways to avoid the unstable feeling (the feeling is obvious that the shoulder can pop out. Trust me, it's come out over 15 times now. I'm an absolute expert on what position the shoulder is most vulnerable in.) However, to no avail! So, I squat on the Smith Machine with my right arm crossed over my chest. This is the absolute least vulnerable position for it to pop out. can it still pop out? Yes. However, it's much safer in that position as there is the least stress on the ball/socket when your arms cross over your chest. The smith allows me to keep from having to keep the bar stable with my hands. Ugh... it makes me sick just thinking about having my shoulder come out. P A I N! But, yeah... In a few months, I'll get surgery. Then I'll come back to working out after 6 damn months of being out of the gym. Yes, 6 months. My girlfriend heard how much I pouted and complained about being out of the gym for 1 week. She's scared of 6 months.

With my luck, my shoulder will still dislocate. Just like my fathers and my friends. They both got surgery and guess what?! Their shoulders come out just as easily even after the surgery. What a waste... From what I've been reading, the actual success rate isn't all that great. Well, not with the arthroscopic surgery anyway. When they actually cut you open and fix that stuff right... The recovery period is MUCH longer, but the success rate is much higher.

intargc
12-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Sunday - Shoulders/Arms

Shoulders
External Rotation (Warm-up) - 20x12, 20x12
Seated DB Shoulder Press - 35x12, 50x7, 50x6
Lateral Raises - 20x9, 20x8
Forward Raises - 20x8, 20x8

Triceps
Skull Crushers - 45x12, 75x8, 80x7
Arm Extensions - 90x8, 100x6

Biceps
Barbell Curls - 65x12, 80x8, 80x6
Preacher Curls (Each arm) - 35x7, 35x6

Comments
Overall pretty good day. I'm steadily increasing in weight. I'm excited.

Hatred
12-13-2005, 03:54 PM
I remember April teling me about this. She also mentioned you put mass on easily...
I have a tip for you that all of the other die-hards here that revel in their Omniscience will never tell you.
Your shoulder is going to limit you.
work around it.
If you feel like you absolutely have to do squats; use a manta ray.
otherwise. Leg press is sufficient.
Dean are you doing rotatorwork?
The weights you will start out with are immasculating but it is worth it. I have never had a debilitating shoulder injury since I started doing cuban rotations and external rotations.
I start every single workout where my shoulder is used with them.

Also.
Now that we know that we know each other personally you have become my Guinea pig.
I am sure that April's and my advice will contradict each other's sometimes but just take from both and use what works.

intargc
12-13-2005, 04:07 PM
I remember April teling me about this. She also mentioned you put mass on easily...
I have a tip for you that all of the other die-hards here that revel in their Omniscience will never tell you.
Your shoulder is going to limit you.
work around it.
If you feel like you absolutely have to do squats; use a manta ray.
otherwise. Leg press is sufficient.
Dean are you doing rotatorwork?
The weights you will start out with are immasculating but it is worth it. I have never had a debilitating shoulder injury since I started doing cuban rotations and external rotations.
I start every single workout where my shoulder is used with them.

Also.
Now that we know that we know each other personally you have become my Guinea pig.
I am sure that April's and my advice will contradict each other's sometimes but just take from both and use what works.

I think she meant to say that I have a hard time putting on mass. ;)

Come on man, you saw me before. I was uber skinny man. However, I wasn't eating right back then either. I was probably taking in like 2,500 calories at the time. Now I'm pulling in 3,500/day.

As far as squats, I guess I've just been reading all of the things people say about how they're much needed by everyone and that they help in growth. I can tell you this, I'm getting much more work out of the hack squats I'm doing than the smith squats.

I looked into the manta ray and it just seemed like it was a pad like thing that helps in comfort. This requires me to still hold the bar is position. A while ago, I saw a custom bar that had two bars that would go over your shouders. Those bars had a hook on the back that actually held the barbell in place. All you did was hold the bars in front of you and squat! However, now I can't find this contraption and I think the thing was actually a part of a custom bar and not just a device like the manta ray.

As for the shoulder thing; whenever I do shoulder work, I do 2 sets of external rotation on the cable machine for a warm-up. I just started to add this to my routine over the past 3 weeks in high hopes it will help until I get the surgery.

As for being your guinea pig, hey, I'm all for it. I'm always learning and willing to listen and learn. April's advice conflicts with a lot of things I've learned too. She's a smart girl though. I still use her advice daily. I just think some areas either I misunderstand what she says or she doesn't explain it well to me.

Canadian Crippler
12-13-2005, 04:23 PM
That's called a "Safety Squat Bar".

Hatred
12-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Deads are a better massbuilder in my opinion.
I tweaked my back a couple months ago and my heavy squatting has gone out the window for now.
My legs have never looked better and I chalk it up to Leg pressing.

Hatred
12-13-2005, 04:25 PM
Last time I was there I was deadlifting and April says to me" Why do you deadlift like that?"
I've never seen anyone squat down at the beginning."
I think I may have blinked a few times but I failed to really respond..lol.

intargc
12-13-2005, 04:31 PM
Last time I was there I was deadlifting and April says to me" Why do you deadlift like that?"
I've never seen anyone squat down at the beginning."
I think I may have blinked a few times but I failed to really respond..lol.

Haha

muscleup
12-13-2005, 06:52 PM
How do you do an External Rotation?
Is this a rotator cuff lift?

I can only think of the one where you lay on your side and your top arm is at a 90 degree angle and you hold a light plate or DB and rotate upwards pivoting at the elbow.
My right shoulder has been hurting l8tly...

intargc
12-13-2005, 08:01 PM
How do you do an External Rotation?
Is this a rotator cuff lift?

I can only think of the one where you lay on your side and your top arm is at a 90 degree angle and you hold a light plate or DB and rotate upwards pivoting at the elbow.
My right shoulder has been hurting l8tly...

I do it with the cable machine. I just drop the pulley down to where my elbow is and stand to one side and rotate my arm outward. Then repeat for the other side... It's pretty much the same thing as laying on a bench and doing it with a DB.

intargc
12-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Wednesday - Chest / Triceps / Abs

Chest
DB Bench Press - 40x12, 75x7, 75x6
Incline BB Bench Press - 135x8, 145x6, 145x6
Decline ISO Hammer - 85x8, 85x7

Triceps
Skull Crusher - 40x14, 70x7, 70x7
Arm Extensions - 90x12, 110x5, 100x6

Abs
Crunches - 12x4
Incline Reverse Crunches - 12x4

Comments
In an effort to decrease the amount of time I'm in the gym, I'm changing up my routine. It's still going to be a 3 day split, but it will be more like this:

Day 1 - Chest / Triceps
Day 2 - Rest
Day 3 - Back / Biceps
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5 - Legs / Shoulders

There were two days in my old routine that were killing me on time and progress. First one was Chest/Back day. Going as hard as I can on chest and then turning around and trying to go hard on things like pullups and deadlifts just didn't work out. I need more energy for this area. Plus, the entire chest routine I'm dreading the fact that I have the entire back routine to do as well and when I think about spending a lot of time in the gym at once, it annoys me. Also, Shoulder/Arms day was very long and obnoxious. With this routine, I figure I can get in and out within an hour. I did today anyway.

I was lagging a bit on weight because I'm amazingly tired. On Monday night I came home from work and felt sick all night. I'm pretty sure it was something I ate. I fell asleep from 6PM until 12AM and when I woke up, I felt better and had some food. However, I didn't get back to sleep until 7AM. I got to stay up and watch the whole Tookie execution thing. I slept until 11AM. Then last night I only got 4 hours of sleep and was up from 3AM until I decided to go to work. I just couldn't sleep. Insomnia I guess.

Caution - Long rant about news channels, media bias and Tookie. Skip the rest of this post if you don't care.
I laughed as I flipped through the channels... The slant between specific news organizations is amazing to me. You turn on CNN and you get straight up liberal non-sense. People acting as if they're trying to be balanced, but are clearly not. They made it very apparent that they were siding with Tookie. Then I flipped it to Fox news. Now, I'm a conservative myself, so I enjoy fox news. Fox news is conservative 90% of the time and yes, that means they're bias. They were for this and I enjoyed it. They kept bringing up facts about Tookie that you wouldn't hear on CNN or MSNBC. How he threw chemicals in the guards face, tried to escape (not during the day of the execution, of course, but throughout his stay at the jail) and how he won't roll over on any of the Crips members even though it would save countless lives and bring down the Crips. Yet, he says he's "Reformed" and "Redemed". Right... So, let me get this straight. You created a gang that is worldwide. Now you say you're sorry you ever created it and you hate it and you're against violence. However, when police ask you for help on bringing some gang members down, save people from dying and get drugs off the street you say "I dont' want to be a snitch". Yeah... that's a reformed man if I ever heard of one.

Also, I like how people keep mentioning that he's been a Nobel Peace Prize nominee and he wrote children's books that have saved thousands of lives. Well, fox looked into this... Turns out that Adolf Hitler was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1939. It also turns out that it doesn't take much to be nominated. As long as you know a law maker that will write a letter of nomination to the board, you're nominated! There are plenty of law makers out there with an agenda against the death penalty that would do this in a heart beat to make Tookie look like a great man. And the Children's books? Please... Madonna writes Children books too. That isn't saying squat. Plus the "Thousands of lives" he's saved through those books just doesn't add up. He's only sold a few hundred of them. But I digress...

I personally don't know if I'm a fan of the death penalty or not. Sometimes I feel like I am, other times I don't feel like I am. I'm a fence sitter on this one. There are people in my religion that ignorantly say "Thou shall not kill" when speaking of Captial Punishment but neglect to read the rest of the bible that speaks of Capital Punishment in a different light. Also most Christians believe that "Thou shall not kill" is incorrectly translated and should say "Thou shall not murder". If you actually kill someone by accident and not out of hate, it's not murder. Capital Punishment to me means something completely different than murder. So, I sit on the right side of the fence with those thoughts. I sit on the other side of the fence with pure emotion. I tend to use my logic over emotion... However, emotion is a strong thing.

However, I just think it's funny with news organizations. Fox news was all about giving facts about Tookie. Before I started watching Fox and was watching the other news channels on this, I started to think "Wow, maybe he really is reformed." Then I switch to Fox and they're telling the whole story. About his books, about his nomination, about him not rolling over on the crips, about him fighting gaurds in the jail, throwing chemicals on them, trying to escape, etc... You didn't hear these things anywhere else. Every liberal in the land was at the protest in front of the jail and they were crowding around the Fox news camera trying to be as obnoxious as possible, of course. One girl kept putting her sign in front of the camera and trying to hold it there. When the camera man finally got pissed and took her sign from her and then gave it back, she whacked him over the head with it. Typical. I mean, freedom of press to them only works if it's liberal press. What's funny is the guy that was reporting on site was really moderate. He didn't say anything bad and just reported very calmly. He was saying "everyone here is very nice and calm" and then that girl gets mad because she can't stop the camera from rolling and hits the camera man over the head with a stick. He then said, while a guy behind him kept chanting "Fox lies." - "Well, 99.9% of everyone here is nice and calm. Everyone has a right to express their views and we provide them a medium to do it, but violence is uncalled for." I couldn't have said it better myself.

intargc
12-18-2005, 04:09 PM
I had quite a busy week so I postponed my last two workout days to Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday - Back / Biceps

Back
Lat Pulldowns (warm up) - 90x14, 105x10
Pullups - BWx9, +5x7
Hammer Iso High Row - 45x12, 90x7, 90x6 (weight per side)
Deadlift - 115x10, 155x8, 175x8
Shrugs - 260x10, 270x10, 270x6

Biceps
Barbell Curls - 45x12, 80x8, 80x6
Preacher Curl - 35x6 (last one assisted), 35x5 (last two assisted)

Comments
Felt a little weak with biceps. I'm guessing because I moved them into back day and they already had a little bit of a toll with it.

intargc
12-18-2005, 04:15 PM
I skipped shoulders today because I'm going straight into chest tomorrow in order to get my whole routine finished before Friday.

Sunday - Legs / Abs

Abs
Crunches - 12 reps, 4 sets
Incline Reverse Crunch - 12 reps, 4 sets

Legs
Leg Press - 180x12, 360x8, 410x7
Hack Squat - 200x7, 200x6
Leg Curls - 90x8, 95x8
Seated Calve Raises - 90x10, 90x10, 90x10, 90x10

Comments
My hack squat was weak because I was doing it on a machine at a different location. Their hack squat machine was very weird. It felt very abnormal as opposed to the newer hack squat machine at the gym I usually go to. The newer machine feel's like a much more natural movement while the one at this gym felt like it put my knee's in an strange position as well as it felt like the machine hasn't been oiled in a long ass time. I don't feel like I got a good leg workout today at all.

intargc
12-19-2005, 07:37 PM
Monday - Chest / Triceps

Chest
DB Bench Press - 40x12, 40x10, 75x7, 75x6
Incline Bench Press - 145x8, 145x7
Decline Hammer - 85x10, 90x7, 90x6

Triceps
Skull Crushers - 65x7, 65x7
Tricep Extensions - 100x10, 110x6, 100x7

Comments
I've gone down on triceps... I'm guessing this is also due to doing chest before and getting somewhat of a tricep workout in before hand like biceps and back day... However, when I left my triceps were swollen from the workout, so I felt I got a good workout in.

intargc
12-20-2005, 02:31 PM
UPDATE

I feel sorry for anyone that walks into my cube today.

That is all.

muscleup
12-20-2005, 02:49 PM
UPDATE

I feel sorry for anyone that walks into my cube today.

That is all.
lol I already got yelled at today for the egg smell. Well after it goes through my digestive system it's more like rotten egg smell...

I swear I could kill a field mouse on days I have extra oats and eggs.

intargc
12-20-2005, 02:55 PM
lol I already got yelled at today for the egg smell. Well after it goes through my digestive system it's more like rotten egg smell...

I swear I could kill a field mouse on days I have extra oats and eggs.

I'm tellin' ya... What sucks even more is when I'm having sex. If I've had a lot to eat about 1 hour before and I'm going at it, I'll feel a build up and I have to slow it down and pray to god that it goes away. I mean, what do you do there... "Honey... what's that smell?" "I don't know baby, shut up and get on top!"

... Wait... I haven't tried that yet.

muscleup
12-20-2005, 02:58 PM
I'm tellin' ya... What sucks even more is when I'm having sex. If I've had a lot to eat about 1 hour before and I'm going at it, I'll feel a build up and I have to slow it down and pray to god that it goes away. I mean, what do you do there... "Honey... what's that smell?" "I don't know baby, shut up and get on top!"

... Wait... I haven't tried that yet.
LOL I'm married so I can just let them fly. I get the sarcastic "oh..that's sexy"..but I just push her face into the pillow harder haha.

intargc
12-20-2005, 03:00 PM
LOL I'm married so I can just let them fly. I get the sarcastic "oh..that's sexy"..but I just push her face into the pillow harder haha.

Maybe we're on different boats here.. I mean, I'd be scared my wife would divorce me with this smell... Either that or put me on the "no sex" list for a good month.

Hatred
12-20-2005, 07:15 PM
Hmm. You need a woman that fights fire with fire....
*Summons Shasta*
A bodybuilder bitch is just as bad.

intargc
12-20-2005, 07:17 PM
Hmm. You need a woman that fights fire with fire....
*Summons Shasta*
A bodybuilder bitch is just as bad.

I'm down with some fart fighting with my significant other. BRING IT ON!

muscleup
12-21-2005, 09:43 AM
I had mortal combat on the mind because I was reading hatred's post (his av looks like scorpion) before I went to bed, and I kept thinking "Finnish Her!"
I got yelled at for getting into bed, letting a nasty, and pulling the covers up over my wifes head. I was laughing so hard I think I pulled a stomach muscle. It was definatly a Flawless Fatality.

intargc
12-21-2005, 09:46 AM
I had mortal combat on the mind because I was reading hatred's post (his av looks like scorpion) before I went to bed, and I kept thinking "Finnish Her!"
I got yelled at for getting into bed, letting a nasty, and pulling the covers up over my wifes head. I was laughing so hard I think I pulled a stomach muscle. It was definatly a Flawless Fatality.

Yeah, see... that would definitely lead to at least 2 weeks of no sex for me. I just can't afford that. My test levels won't allow it. I'd go broke on renting porn for those 2 weeks.

intargc
12-21-2005, 02:00 PM
Wednesday - Back / Biceps

Back
Deadlifts - 95x12, 95x10, 185x8, 195x8
Pull-ups - BW+5x8, BW+5x7
Hammer Iso-High Row - 90x8, 90x7
Shrugs - 270x10, 270x10

Biceps
Barbell Curls - 80x10, 80x7
Preacher Curls - 35x6 (last 2 on right arm assisted), 35x6 (last 2 on right arm assisted)

Comments
I feel like I can do at least 20lbs more on deadlift, but my hands are really slipping. Time to get some straps?

On Preacher curls, my left arm is definitely the strong one. I'm assisting my right arm on the last 2, however, each week it feels a tiny bit stronger and less assistance is needed. I'll get up there eventually. However, if I curl 30's I can do like 10... I figured it was time to move up.

muscleup
12-21-2005, 02:12 PM
When I was doing deads on a regular basis, I would warmup with sets of 6-8reps, and then do my working sets at 5 reps and below. My hands sweat during the high reps and they start to slip. Form usually goes down hill the higher the reps too.

Right now I am doing high rep deads because it's part of the program I am doing and my hands slip because of being sweaty, not my grip failing.

Is it your grip failing, or are they just slipping from being sweaty?

intargc
12-21-2005, 02:19 PM
When I was doing deads on a regular basis, I would warmup with sets of 6-8reps, and then do my working sets at 5 reps and below. My hands sweat during the high reps and they start to slip. Form usually goes down hill the higher the reps too.

Right now I am doing high rep deads because it's part of the program I am doing and my hands slip because of being sweaty, not my grip failing.

Is it your grip failing, or are they just slipping from being sweaty?

Well, I'm one of those dorks who wears gloves, so it's not from sweat. It's more from my forearms being a weakpoint on my body, I think. Which, makes me think not to get the straps because I'm sure this is great for forearm strength as well just like barbell curls kind of are. By the 7th rep the bar is almost at my fingertips from lack of strength in my grip.

ericg
12-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Interesting journal man. Like the routine and the rants!!!

intargc
12-21-2005, 02:24 PM
Interesting journal man. Like the routine and the rants!!!

Thanks man! Feel free to chime in at any time and call me out on something. ;)

muscleup
12-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Do you do any type of grip work? Doing lifts like Db/BB shrugs or RDL/SLDL are good for grip because you are basically doing a static hold throughout the entire lift.
How do you shrug 270 and not have a grip issue during that lift?

Hammer curls might benefit you better than preachers if your forearms are lacking.

I have used straps before on deads, but I wanted my grip to get stronger so I stopped.
The gloves may be hurting your grip if they are too thick.

ericg
12-21-2005, 02:31 PM
The gloves will hamper your grip. They basically make the bar a larger diameter due to the material of the glove between your hand and the bar. Ditch the gloves for any work that requires maximal grip strength and use chalk.

intargc
12-24-2005, 03:00 PM
muscleup, ericg: Thanks guys. I'll give that a shot next time on deads. My gloves are pretty thin but that still might be an issue.

Friday - Legs / Shoulders

Legs
Leg Press - 180x14, 360x10, 410x8
Hack Squats - 230x9, 270x8
Leg Curls - 60x12, 90x8, 90x8
SL Deadlifts - 135x8, 135x8
Seated Calves - 45x12, 70x10, 70x10

Shoulders
DB Shoulder Press - 35x10, 50x8, 55x5
Lateral Raises - 20x8, 20x8

Comments
I threw in some SL Deadlifts this time because my GF was with me and she wanted to see how to do them and wanted me to check her form on them... It was an overall decent leg day. Can't say as much for shoulders...

Merry Christmas!

intargc
12-27-2005, 05:25 AM
Monday - Chest / Triceps / Abs

Chest
DB Bench Press - 40x12, 75x5, 75x6, 70x6
BB Incline Press - 135x8, 145x6
Decline Hammer - 90x8, 90x8

Triceps
Skull Crusher - 45x12, 65x8, 65x7
Tricep Extensions - 90x7, 90x6

Abs
Crunches - 12, 12, 12, 12
Incline Reverse Crunch - 12, 12, 12, 12

Comments
Ok, yesterday wasn't so great. I'm blaming it on all of the Christmas food I've been eating. However, all this food consists of candy. Ha! Holy crap I have never eaten so much in my life. However, I'm giving myself this week to allow that since it's that time of year. I'm not even doing my fitday until I'm off of vacation (January 3rd). I'm still eating normally, but all this candy is definitely giving me a nice stomach. I'll be buddah in no time. I swear... my stomach sucks.

Also, I'm wondering how to pick up some lagging body parts. My legs are doing great as well as my triceps. However, I feel my Chest, shoulders and biceps are really lagging! I've been stuck on shoulders for at least 6 months. I'm doing seated DB presses at 55lbs for a while now and lateral raises haven't moved up at all (still stuck at 20lbs). If I try to move up in lateral raises, I can't get them up. Chest sucks too. About 3 months ago I switched to doing DB Bench press because I hit a serious plateau in regular BB bench press (about 155). I made an improvement from doing 60x8 to 75x8 (not today... like I said a bad day today). However, I'm not going over that for a while now. If you look at my log it shows me making fast improvements in bench but that's only because I was recovering from a dislocated shoulder and I went light for a while and built back up to 75's. I was doing 75x8 for like a month before that. I figure biceps will eventually come into play, but I haven't made improvements in that area either for quite some time.

So, any help is appreciated. I'm also going to post this on the regular forums to see if I can get any help from people that don't read my journal. Does anyone have a good shoulder and chest routine that can help me out?

RBC13
12-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Hey Intargc,

Im not really sure what youre name is, i havent seen it. But i have read all of the journal that you posted, or at least the last two pages. I have to say youre rants are fricken hilarious man! You gotta put some more stuff about the gym and how people are making an ass outta themselves. I love that. My dad does 20s for DB curls, and does like 30 reps of it with a giant bending of his back to use momentum to get it up. I keep trying to get him to lift seriously, but hes afraid of getting "sore". :windup:

And you know what i was watching the news yesterday, and they showed a little fitness routine to keep people in shape. And they had this really athletic guy doing crunches then stationary jogging with high knees, then more leg raises, jumping jacks, etc. It was hilarious. Like people could actually loose weight. I think if anything, thats for someone whos so athletic and in shape, that its on top of everything to do that or just a warmup.

Anyways, to your journal. There are some things i dont understand. You say you cant hold a bar when squatting,but you can bench until failure or near???? And you can deadift with the bar and do skull crushers with them. How exactly does that work but you cant squat.

Secondly, I notice that you pretty much have two upperbody days(exclluding the deads) and one lower. I think that more even would be better, like lower, upper, as me and muscleup do i think. And you know its always cool to "switch things up." Muscleup is a big fan of this. ;) LOL

Another thing, you said your incline was 155*6 and your flat is about the same. The only difference is inlcline emphasizes your shoulders more and hurts your chest. So im thinking that your chest is probably your limiting factor here. You should put up some pics, i dont remember seeing any. And do some dips man!!!!!!!!!!! If the shoulder can take it. And get that damn surgery sometime and perfect form on all your presses until then, nothing less!

-Rick

Mik
12-28-2005, 01:36 PM
Hey man, just checked out your journal. Pretty funny stuff. Like you, my chest is lagging. Bench is prolly my weakest ex. Personally I'm trying a new PL approach to bench work I'm hoping will help. Maybe a change for you? Just my $0.02.

intargc
12-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Hey Intargc,

What up.

Im not really sure what youre name is, i havent seen it.

It's Dean.

But i have read all of the journal that you posted, or at least the last two pages. I have to say youre rants are fricken hilarious man! You gotta put some more stuff about the gym and how people are making an ass outta themselves. I love that. My dad does 20s for DB curls, and does like 30 reps of it with a giant bending of his back to use momentum to get it up. I keep trying to get him to lift seriously, but hes afraid of getting "sore". :windup:

Thanks. I have plenty of them, believe me. Like today I saw a guy doing "Squats". Great form. He would basically lock his legs, then unlock them and bend them just a tad to the point where it looked like he was about to fart. Then he would lock the knee's again. I just kind of shook my head and continued to stare at the hottie on the stair climber across the gym.

Anyways, to your journal. There are some things i dont understand. You say you cant hold a bar when squatting,but you can bench until failure or near???? And you can deadift with the bar and do skull crushers with them. How exactly does that work but you cant squat.

It's somewhat complicated and most people don't understand it unless they're experienced in how the shoulder works and how it can dislocate, or have had a dislocated shoulder themselves. I'll try to explain... I'm not 100% educated on shoulder injuries. I mean, I can't operate on one, but I can explain how a shoulder dislocates and what you can do to keep it from dislocating.

Depending on how you injured your shoulder to get it to dislocate depends on how it will dislocate in the future or if it dislocates in the future. I injured my shoulder when I was in wrestling without knowing it really. Many people do this actually. I know a few gymnast that have done this as well. What I mean is, they did something to stretch the ligaments that held the shoulder in place and later they did something to force the shoulder out of socket. I could have injured it some other way, but I didn't start dislocating my shoulder until after wrestling.

Anyway, if you've dislocated your shoulder as many times as I have, the ball actually develops a sort of dip in it. This is what screws me. When the arm is put in a specific compromising position, that dip in the ball becomes exposed to the socket and pop! The dip slides over the socket and gets caught and then when I bring my arm back, this forces it out of socket even more. It's hard to explain without a diagram. Maybe one day I'll be bored enough to design one since so many people ask me "How come you can ____ but you can't ___?"

Now, for some people, the compromising position is an arm above their head. This position can put extra stress on my shoulder, but it doesn't expose the dip in the ball as much as if my hand is facing up and my arms are moved behind my back forcing my shoulders back. If I'm benching, my arm isn't fully in this position. If I'm squatting, it is exactly in this position and add the weight pressing down on that area it completely ruins it. Throwing my arm back will also put it in this compromising position as well which is what happened when I do rear delt flies.

I know it sounds strange, but it's true. I've read about it and it was even confirmed by my Orthopaedic. I have never dislocated my shoulder doing bench or db bench... (Knock on wood) and I believe that is the reason.

Secondly, I notice that you pretty much have two upperbody days(exclluding the deads) and one lower. I think that more even would be better, like lower, upper, as me and muscleup do i think. And you know its always cool to "switch things up." Muscleup is a big fan of this. ;) LOL

Every routine I've seen suggests one lower day... I've seen some people's routines that suggest doing two lowers a week, but I've just always read otherwise... From what I understood, the muscles in your legs require a much longer recovery period than, say, your arms. Some articles I've read say that it requires 5-10 days for your quads to recover fully and even suggest not doing any heavy compounds the next day because your whole body has to recover from a leg workout. Of course it varies for some people and such... However, I just always have done 1 leg day. I was doing the WBB routines for a while and they all did 1 lower and 2 upper days as well and I've just recently switched it up from the WBB's.

Another thing, you said your incline was 155*6 and your flat is about the same. The only difference is inlcline emphasizes your shoulders more and hurts your chest. So im thinking that your chest is probably your limiting factor here. You should put up some pics, i dont remember seeing any. And do some dips man!!!!!!!!!!! If the shoulder can take it. And get that damn surgery sometime and perfect form on all your presses until then, nothing less!

I posted some pictures back in November:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=72354

I've been trying to increase my incline because it was so weak. When I started doing BB incline, I could barely push up 95lbs. Now I'm up to 145/150... I was up to 155 but it seems that my strength here has weakened for some reason.

And, no offense to you... because I sincerely appreciate you helping out, but I'm sick and tired of hearing that Inclines hurt your chest or hender chest growth. It's an unproven myth that for some reason a lot of people have grasped onto because they're incline bench is so weak. :) Quite simply put, doing incline works you chest just like any other exercise does it just also puts more of an emphasis on your delts than a flat bench would. As a matter of fact, every body builder i talk to incorporates some sort of incline chest work into their program whether it be Barbell incline or Dumbbell incline's and even incline cable flies or DB flies. I personally think it's a wonderful inclusion to a chest routine and is needed for strength and progress... I mean, my bench has gone up ever since I started doing inclines and I was stuck before hand. When I was doing 95lb inclines, I was only doing 150 on regular bench and I was stuck there. When my inclines went up, so did my regular bench.

I've just seen more proof that incline presses do good for your chest. Actually, I haven't seen any scientific proof that it hampers chest growth or even "hurts" your chest. I know I haven't read everything out there, so if there is an article stating this and that same article or author isn't saying that "lifting heavy is bad for your body" or "deadlifts can kill you dead", then I'll read it. :)

intargc
12-28-2005, 04:08 PM

Back
Lat Pulldowns (WU) - 90x12, 120x10
Pull ups - +5x8, +10x7, +10x5
Hammer Iso Highrow - 95x8, 95x7, 95x5.5
Deadlift - 95x12, 185x8, 195x8, 195x7
Shrugs - 270x10, 275x9

Biceps
Barbell Curls - 80x8, 85x7
Preacher Curls - 35x7, 35x6 (last one here was assisted)

Comments
Overall a great day. I made improvements across the whole board!

I was really winded through the whole workout and took longer breaks between sets. I've just been sitting on my ass playing "Path of Neo" ever since I unwrapped it... However, I threw in a couple of more sets on some things for some reason... I just felt stronger and wanted to take advantage of it I guess.

Speaking of "Path of Neo", I've already beat it within 3 days. I swear these Matrix games are SO short. However, they're a lot of fun. I'm going to play it again while I eat chicken and perogies. Mmmm... Oh, and munch on all the chocolate I have too. Word.

intargc
12-31-2005, 12:50 AM

Legs
Leg Press - 180x12, 180x12, 380x8, 390x8
Hack Squat - 270x8, 280x7
Leg Curl - 90x10, 90x8, 90x6
Standing calve Raises - 165x10, 165x10
Seated Calve Raises - 70x10, 70x10

Shoulders
Seated DB Press - 35x12, 55x7, 55x6, 55x6
Lateral Raises - 25x8, 25x8
Forward Raises - 25x8, 25x8

Comments
Ummm... My shoulders suck. Need to get out of this lag. They look like skinny man shoulders!

RBC13
12-31-2005, 03:28 PM
Hey Dean,

Wow thanks for all the seperate responses. I wasnt knocking inclines, i like them a lot. I was just using that as an example to say how if theyre the same then your chest needs to improve. Maybe some more dips. But inclines are cool. I kinda know what you mean by how you cant Squat because of the dip in the ball of your shoulder. Squatting does put us in a percarious postition to our shoulder. You know ive been having this pain in my arm from squatting around my triceps. I think its bc a few times i took off with justt my arms and not my legs when i took it off the pins. But im not sure. Perhaps you have looked into the squatting form and how to hold your arms for maximum protection. If you could shed any light on this. I go about 2 or 3 inches away from the soft part of the barbell on each side. Is is this semi wide grip that could be hurting you think?

And about your pics, i think its mainly your chest as you said in some post before. Make sure than when your benching your fully using your chest and not just arming it like i used to. And keep eating and pounding away and dipping and it should go up more. Also im suprised that your deads are kinda low, is that bc of your shoulder in any reason?

Rick

intargc
01-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Crap, I forgot to post my workout from monday!

Monday - Chest / Triceps

Chest
DB Bench Press - 40x12, 75x7, 75x6
BB Incline Bench Press - 145x8, 150x6
Hammer Decline - 92.5x8, 92.5x8 (Per arm)

Triceps
Skull Crusher - 45x12, 70x7, 70x6
Tricep Extensions - 90x10, 100x5, 95x6

Comments
I went up a couple of reps on bench and up 5lbs on tricep work. Pretty good I guess. I was with the Girlfriend on Monday and I have to remind her to spot me properly. Sometimes she helps a little too much and I just don't count those reps at all...

intargc
01-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Hey Dean,Perhaps you have looked into the squatting form and how to hold your arms for maximum protection. If you could shed any light on this. I go about 2 or 3 inches away from the soft part of the barbell on each side. Is is this semi wide grip that could be hurting you think?

I'm no expert on squatting form. I'm sure I'm a bit off. However, the only way my shoulder is not in as vulnerable position is if I do front squats or somehow get my arm to be in front of my chest instead of behind my back.

The two exercises that have dislocated my shoulder so far are

1) Squats
2) Rear delt flies

This is over 2 years of weight lifting... So, I just stay away from those two exercises.

And about your pics, i think its mainly your chest as you said in some post before. Make sure than when your benching your fully using your chest and not just arming it like i used to. And keep eating and pounding away and dipping and it should go up more. Also im suprised that your deads are kinda low, is that bc of your shoulder in any reason?

Nah, my deads are low because I'm just weak in them. Has nothing to do with my shoulder. I didn't start doing deadlifts until about 4 weeks ago so I'm gradually going up in weight. I'm not going to be stupid and just pile on a lot of weight and try to be all macho about it. I'm weak in that area and I need to build up on weight and work on my form first instead of trying to feel macho and blow my back out in the process.

intargc
01-04-2006, 01:41 PM

Back
Barbell Deadlifts - 135x10, 205x8, 215x7, 215x6
Pullups - BWx10, +10x8, +10x8
Hammer High Rows - 97.5x8, 100x7, 100x7
Shrugs - 275x10, 275x10

Biceps
Barbell Curls - 65x10, 85x7, 85x5, 65x6
Preacher Curls - 35x5, 35x5, 35x5

Comments
I need someone to watch my deadlift form... I think I'm getting it right, but it would be nice to have someone that is knowledgable telling me if I'm screwing it up slightly... Josh, come back to Atlanta and do a day with me in the gym so you can point and laugh at my form with deadlifts!

I felt weak today. I'm blaming it on not eating well last night, lack of sleep and not eating well this morning. I was stuck in traffic for 1.5 hours (it takes me 15 minutes to get to work without traffic) and so I missed a meal due to that. I was STARVING when I got to work and downed some Opticen with milk. That just wasn't enough. Eating my 2 PB&J's with 30oz of milk right now. Awww.... yeah.

I saw the walking back injury man today again. It was grand. I've talked about this man before. The guy whole arches his back to the point he's almost at a 90 degree angle when he does curls. Yes, people. Curls. I've never seen a back hyperextend so much in my life. I mean, I'm guilty of bad form on my curls from time to time, but this man pushes it that way with every | bloody | rep! I mean, if I feel some tension on my back and I feel I can't get the bar up without arching the back, I either stop doing that set or I lower the weight if I just started the set. Problem solved. Back to good form, just increase the reps a bit until next week. But this guy has been curling a 90lb EZ Bar for... lord... like 2 months now and he's still in the worst form I've ever seen. It's no wonder... I know he has to see me staring at him when he does those. I was at a rack doing deadlifts when he was doing his curls. I swear, I almost hope I get to see this guy daily because he just amuses me to no end. I almost got a little giddy when I looked in the mirror and saw this man picking up the 90lb EZ Bar behind me. I noticed the look on my face in the mirror while I was watching him... It's mainly like:
:omg:

Then, while doing my preacher curls, I get the pleasure to watch these two interesting characters. A guy that can't be more than... umm... 140 lbs at about 5'9 is guiding a guy on how to workout. Don't get me wrong, his weight and height have nothing to do with his ability and knowledge, but what he had this guy doing just made me scratch my head... It was apparent that this guy was just starting back in the gym. He wasn't really "out of shape". But, he obviously didn't know what to do. So the guy coaching him decided it was Bicep day and he said "Sit at the preacher seat" He then brings over a 60lb, 50lb, 40lb and 30lb EZ Bars. He says "Ok, do 10 of these, then I'll give you this and do 10 and so on..." Um... Ok. No compound exercises for Bob today! We're going to start you out by burning your muscles out as fast as we possibly can! So he starts. "Faster! Faster! Squeeze!" This poor guy... He's done with his 10, drops it, gets the 50lb handed to him "Faster! Faster! Squeeze!" and so on until he finished with the 20lb. Hey, that's not all. Let's do it again for good measure. However, this time the guy couldn't do much without the guy pretty much lifting the bar for him each time. He would get maybe 3 reps in out of the 10 and then needed help on all of them until he got to the 40lb bar and then he just had really funny form. Wait, but that's not all. "you need to isolate your bicep more" so they go and get a 25, 20, 15 and 10 lb dumbbells. "Back to the preacher seat!" he says. "Go!" So the guy starts doing 10 of each of these. "Faster! Look at my bicep! Squeeze it like this!" The little guy flexes his bicep which I failed to see for more than one reason. He repeats this mantra over and over "Faster! Squeeze! Look at my bicep! Squeeze!". He barely made it through his first round of curls. The guy was already helping him on his first 25lb set, then on his 20lb set and again his last 15 and 10lb set were just absolutely awful form. But WAIT! Let's do it again! I swear... I just stared at them and realized that I had only done one set myself...

When I was leaving, I had to walk past the personal trainer counter and the little guy was sitting inside of it... Yeah, he was a personal trainer, I guess. The guy he was training was proudly telling the manager (I met him on monday when my GF went up to ask about getting hired) about all the curls he just did. I didn't stop to hear what the manager said... I'm hoping he looked at him and said "I watched you... you didn't even finish half of those sets without his help!" Let's not forget, this is all they did... An insane flury of EZ Bar curls and preacher curls. Call it a day! I have to go train more people with my amazing routines and infinite knowledge of biceps!

muscleup
01-04-2006, 02:55 PM
How in the heck can you tell a detailed story like that about other people in the gym?
I'm too focused on myself to worry about what anyone else is doing in there. Everything is like a blur to me except the weights I am lifting and myself. ;)

intargc
01-04-2006, 03:30 PM
How in the heck can you tell a detailed story like that about other people in the gym?
I'm too focused on myself to worry about what anyone else is doing in there. Everything is like a blur to me except the weights I am lifting and myself. ;)

I ask myself that same question every day...

However, in between sets I rest about 2 minutes. I just look around and people watch. I do this all the time in every situation... I'm a people watcher. Some people aren't people watchers but I people watch frequently. Call me a dork, but I do... and people watching in the gym is just too much fun, as you can see from my stories.

My boss says the same thing to me. If he goes to the gym with me I'll be like "Man, did you see that girl? She had the best stomach I've ever seen" and he'll say "Umm... I didn't notice anyone, I was too busy working out." All I can say is I feel sorry for people that are so overly consumed with anything that they can't stop and watch people for 2 minutes between each set. You're missing out...

Hatred
01-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Must be doing a lot of it.
3 days with no workout posting.

tuttut

intargc
01-08-2006, 09:48 PM
Hey, I've been moving all weekend... give me a break!

Legs
Leg Press - 230x14, 410x8, 430x8, 440x8
Hack Squat - 320x7 (bad form), 280x8, 280x8
Leg Curl - 75x12, 90x8, 90x6
Standing/Seated Calve Raises - 165x10, 165x10, 75x10, 75x10

Shoulders
Seated DB Shoulder Press - 35x12, 55x8, 55x8, 55x6
Lateral Raises - 20x10, 20x10

Comments
I felt overall strong on this day. I completely blasted my shoulders. I could barely hold my bag when I was leaving the gym. It felt great... Although, I didn't really do much more. Just a few more reps of the 55 DB's.

The leg workout was great. Major DOMS Saturday and today from it. Which made moving into the new apartment a lot of fun.

Speaking of which, I thought it was interesting. I haven't moved ever since I started hitting the gym religiously so moving was quite an experience. Furniture that I used to think was SERIOUSLY heavy was no longer heavy. I had AMAZING energy throughout the entire move. I was running back and forth to and from the truck with absolutely no problems and I could have kept going. We had some people helping us move and the guy that was helping me was a tad out of shape. He's twice my size and I was lifting items he couldn't. It felt great. He kept having to take breaks and I would be running back and forth getting boxes the entire time he was resting. I was carrying full pieces of furniture myself... something I wasn't able to do before. I mean, to me, this is what it's all about. Feeling healthy, fit and strong! I know that sounds cheesy, but that's the best thing about lifting/bodybuilding. The rewards. A great body, amazing health, triple your strength and energy. Good stuff.

intargc
01-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Tuesday - Chest / Triceps

Chest
DB Bench Press - 45x12, 75x8, 75x7, 75x6 (Per arm)
BB Incline Bench Press - 150x6, 150x6
Hammer Decline - 95x8, 95x8 (per arm)

Triceps
Skull Crusher - 45x12, 65x8, 70x6, 70x6
Tricep Extension (Rope) - 90x10, 100x6, 100x6

Comments
Umm...

intargc
01-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Thursday - Back / Biceps

Back
Deadlifts - 135x10, 205x8, 215x7, 215x6
Pullups - Mex10, +10x8, +10x8
Hammer Iso Rows (Arm at a time) - 100x7, 100x7, 100x6
Shrugs - 280x10, 280x9

Biceps
Barbell curls - 65x10, 85x7, 85x6
Hammer Curls - 35x7, 35x6, 35x5

Comments
Bleh... My girlfriends cat is keeping me up at night. She'll literally lay on your face and neck. I have secret plans to let her out the door. "Oh no! I swear! She learned how to open it without and opposable thumb!" All I know is that it seriously hendered my ability to workout today. I felt like I was going to puke through the whole workout and I didn't do anything more than last week. Maybe just a couple more reps on some things... I'm blaming it on rest. That and the fact I'm seriously full and bloated... but, hey... what can ya do?

Wow, that one smells really weird. The milk started creeping up on me at the end of my workout today and I honestly felt sorry for the people that walked around me.

I went to a place near my new apartment last night. "Backyard Burgers". I think this is a new fast food place that's going to start popping up around places. Black Angus beef hamburgers. The one I got had 410 calories and 26 grams of fat (11 sat). I was like HELL YEAH, BITCHES! I also had the fries. I haven't had fries in SO long, I figured I'd give in. Oh, wait, I had fries at Fudruckers the other night. But other than that, I haven't had fries in a long time. To me, fries are only good when you go a few month's without having them. Then it's like "Gawd... how did I live without these things?!" Then I go back to a clean diet during the week and forget about fries for a while... Peanut butter and milk, bitches. Peanut butter and milk.

And hamburgers.

intargc
01-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Saturday - Legs / Shoulders

Legs
Leg Press - 180x14, 450x8, 450x9, 450x7
Hack Squat - 290x8, 280x8 (girlfriend forgot to put 10 on), 290x9
Leg Curls - 60x14, 90x11, 105x5
Straight Leg Deadlifts - 90x12, 135x8, 145x8
Seated Calve Raises - 70x10, 10x15

Shoulders
Shoulder Press - 35x12, 55x8, 60x7
Lateral Raises - 20x11, 20x10, 20x10
Forward Raises - 20x10, 20x10

Comments
Overall, I made improvements on legs. Again. That's good. I also went up on Shoulder presses. Another great thing since I've been lagging there...

I think, however, I'm going to change my routine up. After doing legs, I'm beat. I put everything into doing legs. Then going in and trying to put everything into shoulders just doesn't work as well as I thought. Here's what I'm thinking. Since I'm lagging on Chest, Shoulders, Biceps and Back a bit, I'll do a 4 day split.

Day 1 - Back (Deadlifts, Pull-ups, ISO Hammer Rows, Shrugs)
Day 2 - Chest / Triceps (Bench, Incline DB's, Hammer Decline)
Day 3 - Rest
Day 4 - Legs (Same routine, I'm doing well with it.)
Day 5 - Shoulders / Biceps (Arnolds, Lateral Raises, Forward Raises, BB curls, Hammer Curls)

What do you think? This way I can have a single day for legs and concentrate on my shoulders and Biceps on a single day since I'm lagging there and maybe add 1 more set to each exercise on back day since it lags a bit. I've been doing DB Bench Press and Incline BB press for about 3 months now so I figure I'll switch back to regular Bench Press and Incline DB's again and see if I can make some improvements there. Hell, I may just stick with the same chest routine because I was every so SLOWLY making improvement. Input is appreciated.

intargc
01-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Since nobody commented on my routine, I just went ahead and changed it up... Here is what I ended up with on chest day...

Monday - Chest / Triceps

Chest
Bench Press - 115x12, 155x10, 175x5, 165x6
Incline DB Bench Press - 55x9, 60x8, 60x7
Cable Flies - 20x10, 25x10, 30x8

Triceps
Barbell skull crushers (SS with close grip bench. Same weight/reps) - 45x12, 65x8, 65x8
Bentover Cable Extensions - 60x12, 80x12, 100x6, 100x6

Comments
Some of the weight goes up and then down... For instance, Bench Press. Basically, I haven't done regular Barbell bench's in like 4 or more months. I've been doing DB Bench. So, I was trying to feel where I was currently on barbell bench. You know what? I didn't go up at all coming from DB bench over to Barbell bench! I stopped doing Barbell bench when I was doing 165x6. As you can see, it didn't go up much.

I'm not sure if adding the supersetting close grip bench was too much for the triceps. It felt good though. Triceps were very pumped when I left the gym. So was the chest! Barbell work really got it pumped. Moreso than the Dumbbells. I figure since I was able to do 175x5 at one point, my 1 month goal is to get up to 185x8. My girlfriend was with me last night again and I actually did 175x6, but she spotted me on the 6th pretty hard so I just didn't count it. I want to be pressing in the 200's... We'll see how it goes.

It was kind of funny... Last night I finished a set of skull crushers that I was trying really hard on and when I finished the girlfriend just stood beside me and helped me get the weight off for her next set and she goes "you did good honey" and then gave me a quick kiss. I mean, real quick. This tall pot belly weirdo standing next to us leans over to a guy next to him and goes "Well that's not something you want to see in the gym." very loud. The guy he said it to just kind of looked at him and shrugged and went back to working out because he didn't even see it. I think it was ridiculous... I mean, trust me, I can fully understand if two people were constantly kissing in the gym and hugging and making out and crap, but to see two people just quickly kiss each other. That guy had something up his butt. Or in his stomach... it looked like he was pregnant.

intargc
01-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Tuesday - Back

Deadlifts - 95x12, 115x12, 230x6, 230x6
Pullups - Mex12, +15x8, +15x7
Bent Over Rows - 95x12, 135x7, 135x7
Shrugs - 280x10, 280x10

Comments
I think the form on my deads was a little off. GF said I was leaning a forward coming down but I kept my back straight regardless. Is that ok?

However, went up on deads, pullups and threw in some Bent over BB rows for my new routine. Yay.

intargc
01-20-2006, 08:34 AM
Thursday - Legs

Leg Press - 180x12, 180x12, 450x7, 450x7
Hack Squat - 290x7, 290x7, 280x7
Leg Curls - 60x12, 95x7, 95x6
SLDL - 95x12, 135x8, 145x8
Standing / Seated Calve Raises - 80x10/50x10x4

Comments
I gave my girlfriend her own leg routine last night. She was following my routine but I told her just because I can't do squats doesn't mean that she can't. So, I got her in the squat rack and had her doing ATF squats. I'm sorry, but there is something about a girl doing ATF squats that is hot. It's not as hot as when girls sit in the smith machine and do them though... Cause you see those girls all the time. Not even going parallel in the smith machine. Their legs way out in front of them so they can push up against the bar to give them leverage to get back up. That's not hot. My girlfriend in the squat rack doing ATF BB squats was hot. :)

bschatz88
01-20-2006, 11:33 AM
Looks like a few solid workouts in a row there bro, despite the sloppy dead form. Nice work with the SLDLs and the rows as well, those are great to have in routine.
Awesome to see that you've got your girlfriend lifting properly, we need more of those kind of women around.

intargc
01-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks!

Yeah, it's nice to have a girlfriend that is as dedicated to this as I am. We have a lot in common... I got lucky I guess.

I'm going to keep a close eye on my deadlift form next week and make sure I don't go over like that again. Even if it means going down on the weight.

intargc
01-24-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm posting friday and Monday's workout here...

Friday - Shoulders / Biceps

Shoulders
External Rotation (Cable) - 30x12, 30x12, 30x12
Arnolds - 30x12, 60x5, 60x5, 60x6
Lateral Raises - 20x10, 20x12, 20x10

Biceps
BB Curls - 65x12, 85x7, 85x6, 85x6
Hammer Curls - 35x8 35x7, 35x6

Monday - Chest / Triceps

Chest
Bench Press - 135x12, 170x8, 170x7, 170x7
Incline DB Press - 65x7, 65x8, 65x6.5
Cable Fly's - 35x6 (sloppy), 32.5x8, 32.5x7

Triceps
Skull Crushers (SS with close grip bench) - 45x12, 70x7, 70x8
Bent Over Extensions - 100x8, 110x7, 110x6

Comments
Whatever.

intargc
01-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Back

Deadlifts - 95x12, 135x10, 230x6, 230x6, 220x7
Pull-ups - Mex12, +15x9, +15x8
Bent Over Rows - 95x12, 135x10, 140x8, 145x7
Shrugs - 280x10, 280x10, 280x10

Comments
Took me a while to post this. My laptop went down. I have to wait on disks from IBM To get it working again. On top of that I deleted 50% of the code I've been writing for my new business and I had to rewrite all of it again because I forgot to check it into CVS. On top of that I keep eating something for lunch that is killing my stomach... I have a triple decker PB&J on whole wheat for lunch and a glass of milk. Now, at first I thought it was the milk. However, I drink milk all day long with my protein shakes, at dinner, etc... No problems. Then I thought "Hmm... may be the PB." that doesn't make sense because I have a slice of whole wheat in the AM with 2 tbsp of Natty PB on it with my protein shake! No problems there... So that rules out the bread and PB. I'm starting to think it's the Jelly. The experation date is good on it, but I think that it's giving me a seriously sour stomach. Put it this way, it's either the Jelly or the milk and I drink milk more often than I eat Jelly... Ugh I feel like ass.

intargc
02-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Monday - Chest / Triceps

Chest
Bench Press - 95x14, 155x10, 175x6, 175x5
Incline DB Press - 65x6, 65x6, 65x5
Cable Fly's - 32.5x8, 32.5x7, 30x7

Triceps
Skull Crushers - 45x12, 70x8, 70x8
Bent over extensions - 110x5, 110x5

Comments
So, I had a stomach virus all last week. I lost 5 lbs. It sucked. I didn't make it to the gym at all. However, I've managed to gain back 3 of those lbs that were lost.

My body is totally rejecting milk now. At first, my body was fine with Milk. Then, I started getting gassy and bloated so I started to take Lactaid. This worked for a bit. However, now it feels like my stomach is being torn apart after I drink it. Tonight after the workout, I had my usual 2 scoops of Optimum protein with milk. I took a lactaid with it. I've been on the edge of puking all night. My stomach feels like it's being twisted and pulled and I'm having some bad ass acid reflux which is due to me needed to puke, I guess. I'm trying to find anything I can to settle my stomach right now. This sucks. I'm never drinking milk again. Put it this way, it's either the milk or the protein and I think I've narrowed it down to the milk. Ugh... This needs to leave soon so I can actually sleep!

intargc
02-16-2006, 07:16 PM
I got a chest day in this week... I'm still sick. I'm getting sick after I eat. The doctor thinks it's lactose intollerance, however, I'm not exactly sure that's the case. I have always been able to eat cheese and sour cream and yogurt and such with no problems. Now, all the sudden I'm severly lactose intollerant? That doesn't make sense to me. I think it's some weird gastrointestinal disorder. However, I almost always eat dairy items. So, it's hard to tell. Yesterday I had pizza and got sick later in the afternoon. Today I had a chicken burrito with shredded chicken, rice and a little bit of sour cream on top. I started feeling sick right around 5 PM. Came home and was right on the very edge of throwing up but never did. It went away after about 2 hours. I'm starving, but I don't feel like eating anything but soup right now... Everything else makes me sick when I think of it. On Monday when I worked out I felt weak and finished up the day, but had to run to the bathroom in between it all... So I'm going to stay out of the gym the rest of this week. I'm not even eating enough to have ANY energy to work out anyway. I hate this... I feel like I'm making excuses to stay out of the gym, but I don't think my body likes it right now.

I'm going to try and stay off of ALL diary items for about 5 days. The doc told me about a new enzyme supplement that is supposed to put Lactaid to shame. It's a 1-a-day supplement called "Digestive Advantage LI". However, it takes 2 days to get into your system and I just started it today. We'll see if that fixes anything. If it doesn't and I'm not feeling any better after not having any diary items, they're going to send me to a Gastrointestinal expert. So, we'll see how things go... Hopefully they can figure it out so I can get back to eating and lifting. This sucks so bad.

galileo
02-17-2006, 06:27 AM
From what Hatred's said, I can't wait to meet your sister.

muscleup
02-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Dude, look at the name of your journal, and look where you might be going if the decreased dairy doesn't help...Gastrointestinal expert.

I think you should ditch this journal ASAP and start a new one with a better title.

intargc
02-17-2006, 08:29 AM
From what Hatred's said, I can't wait to meet your sister.

What's that supposed to mean?

intargc
02-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Dude, look at the name of your journal, and look where you might be going if the decreased dairy doesn't help...Gastrointestinal expert.

I think you should ditch this journal ASAP and start a new one with a better title.

Why you gotta be hatin' on my title, yo?

When you bulk, who doesn't have gas? Don't tell me you don't... go back to the begining of my journal and let's read about how you farted your wife out of bed.

I stopped drinking milk about 2 weeks ago, so it's not that. I honestly don't think it's the dairy. I think I have some sort of other issue, but I'm going to try the decrease in all dairy items and see if that helps.

galileo
02-17-2006, 09:28 AM
What's that supposed to mean?

She's hot.

intargc
02-17-2006, 09:30 AM
She's hot.

Hatred lies. My sister is missing 2 teeth and is slightly bald from the stove accident last Christmas. I mean, if you like a girl who is partly bald, missing teeth and has a large scar running from her left ear to her right ear, that's cool.

muscleup
02-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Why you gotta be hatin' on my title, yo?

When you bulk, who doesn't have gas? Don't tell me you don't... go back to the begining of my journal and let's read about how you farted your wife out of bed.

I stopped drinking milk about 2 weeks ago, so it's not that. I honestly don't think it's the dairy. I think I have some sort of other issue, but I'm going to try the decrease in all dairy items and see if that helps.
lol
I am actually relieved that you don't think it is milk related. Not being able to drink milk ever again would be devistating.

I think you should hit up a specialist and possibly have him take a look up the 'ol poop shoot to make sure you don't have some form of IBS that makes your stomach hurt all the time after eating. Usually IBS deals in constipation related activity though, I think. :confused:

Whatever the case, I hope you get better soon.

OH and P.S. Please post pics of your sister.

intargc
02-17-2006, 10:40 AM
lol
I am actually relieved that you don't think it is milk related. Not being able to drink milk ever again would be devistating.

I think you should hit up a specialist and possibly have him take a look up the 'ol poop shoot to make sure you don't have some form of IBS that makes your stomach hurt all the time after eating. Usually IBS deals in constipation related activity though, I think. :confused:

Whatever the case, I hope you get better soon.

Indeed. Milk brought in about 1,000 calories a day for me. I mean, I always got gassy and bloated from the milk, which I attribute to lactose intollerance, but how can it go from that to an all out puking session just over night?! I asked the Dr. if the intollerance can just build up that quickly and he said "No." I mean, I know some people drink milk and then stop for a while and then when they start back they're all the sudden intollerant, but that's after a lapse. It could have slowly come on during that lapse.

What would piss me off the most is I'm a cheese and sour cream fanatic. I can't go without cheese. I eat cheese on almost everything. My pizza, burrito's, burgers, etc... Mmm... cheese... I don't know. Last week I was eating cheese on crackers after I got sick and I was absolutely fine. Then I had a burrito with cheese and I was fine. Then I had 2 slices of pizza on Wednesday and got sick and had a small dab of sour cream on a chicken and rice burrito and got sick last night.

The good part is, I haven't lost much weight yet. I'm still at 168 lbs. That's what I went down to 2 weeks ago when I first got sick. I seem to be stable there and you can definitely tell the water weight is gone... I actually have a flatter stomach now! haha

intargc
02-17-2006, 10:43 AM
If you want to see pics of my sister, go to MySpace.com and look her up. I'm not going to flaunt my sister around to men. Come on!

I will say she's a very beautiful girl and she deserves it because she works very hard to keep the body she has. She's had two children and she still has a better body than most 18 year old girls. Mainly because she has muscle.

muscleup
02-17-2006, 10:53 AM
I feel the same way about cheese as you do. Who eats pizza without cheese though? That would be sick. Same with burritos or hamburgers. Fat and protein..it's like red meat, but isn't. Just like milk is "liquid meat".
Ok so if it's not any 1 specific food, or group of foods, WTF is your problem man?!
Did you piss anyone off lately? Think someone is F'ing with you by adding something to your food to make you sick?

And about the 168lb issue. I thought you weighed a lot more than that? Coulda swore you were trying to hit 200 or something on a bulk and was closer than 168?

galileo
02-17-2006, 10:57 AM
If you want to see pics of my sister, go to MySpace.com and look her up. I'm not going to flaunt my sister around to men. Come on!

I will say she's a very beautiful girl and she deserves it because she works very hard to keep the body she has. She's had two children and she still has a better body than most 18 year old girls. Mainly because she has muscle.

I was kidding.

But what's her MySpace account anyhow? I can't look her up from "intargc" now can I?

intargc
02-17-2006, 10:59 AM
I am trying to hit 200! I was at 175 before I started getting sick. I was making great progress. I was gaining about 1 - 2 lbs a week for a while there and my gains in the gym were going up steadily. Then I got sick and my weight went down to 168. I've been holding there for a while now.

Seriously, unless I pissed my girlfriend off, I don't know. But, she's in Tampa right now anyway. ;) hehe

We'll see how it goes when I completely eliminate dairy. Over the next 3 days I shouldn't get sick at all if it's diary. I will continue to take the Digestive Advantage LI and after the 3 day loading period, I should be able to eat diary without any problems (or limited problems). So, if I'm not sick over the next 3 days, I'm considering it's diary. If I am, I'm calling the doc up and telling him to get me into the gastrointestinal dude next week. I want to get back on my bulk. I have goals to accomplish!!

intargc
02-17-2006, 11:00 AM
I was kidding.

But what's her MySpace account anyhow? I can't look her up from "intargc" now can I?

http://www.myspace.com/aprilmead

galileo
02-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Yeah, she's pretty.