PDA

View Full Version : Very low budget diet suggestions

eaj0010
12-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Hello.

I have a particularly low budget and I want to bulk up to around 220 before I start cutting. Currently my diet consists of waffles for breakfast, turkey dogs for lunch, and chicken or hamberger helper for dinner. There was a period of time where I ate 5 times a day like I ate waffles 2 hours later some crackers, then chicken, then workout then protein shake then chicken dinner. I still currently drink muscle milk every day whether I workout or not and I take a multivitamin. My budget is really low. I think I may have $100 a MONTH to spend on food. Can you recommend me any diet where I can maximize caloric intake off of low cost foods? Here is what I currently weigh in at:

6' 1" 185lbs
When I do work out, this is what I normally lift
6x185lbs bench
8*205lbs squat
8*150lbs deadlift

Thanks in advance!

getfit
12-02-2005, 02:59 PM
eggs, milk, tuna, chicken you already have, pb, pasta is cheap,butter,oats etc...oh, cottage cheese

tigo
12-02-2005, 03:10 PM
go to costco or sams club

buy all chicken, tuna , cottage cheese, eggs, natty pb (really jerks up caloric intake), nuts (big jars), oats, pasta,and whey all in bulk... i think that would be the cheapest way.

also try food-4-less

eaj0010
12-02-2005, 03:25 PM
great! Appreciate the response!

pruneman
12-02-2005, 03:51 PM
beans are cheap...canned or dry, either is good

Geeper
12-02-2005, 04:46 PM
At $0.50 to $0.75 per serving whey IS pretty cheap, cheaper than a tin of tuna or chicken and oats are dirt cheap....

Unreal
12-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Buy rice/oats/pasta in bulk.

Built
12-02-2005, 05:29 PM
KD with a can of tuna.

MrWebb78
12-03-2005, 12:11 PM
buy peanuts instead of peanut butter. you get more calories for your dollars.

Anthony
12-03-2005, 12:30 PM
milk, oats, whey ...

spencerjrus
12-03-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm gonna go with whole milk and peanut butter, uber calories and uber cheap.

Slim Schaedle
12-03-2005, 01:08 PM
waffles for breakfast, turkey dogs for lunch, ...hamberger helper for dinner. I still currently drink muscle milk every day
No reason for this stuff if your budget is already low

Adam
12-03-2005, 01:46 PM
At $0.50 to $0.75 per serving whey IS pretty cheap, cheaper than a tin of tuna or chicken and oats are dirt cheap....

When your on a budget this is the best way to go.

I was in the same situation as you for far to long. For protein i had shakes, carbs oats, and fats natty pb.

AzBboy
12-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Bananas. Roughly 50cents a pound, and two 9'' bananas contains over 200 cals. Easy way to get cals w/o getting all stuffed.

SpecialK
12-03-2005, 02:45 PM
ON 100% Whey is actually cheaper than pretty much any other protein source you can think of, in terms of gm/$. Tuna comes close, but ON still beats it.

This may vary depending on the prices in your area though. It also assumes you are buying the whey from DPS nutrition. It's the cheapest place I could find it.

ShockBoxer
12-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Peanuts, tuna, kraft dinner, and whey... I'd live off those if I still lived alone.

Mercuryblade
12-04-2005, 01:17 AM
Eggs

Vegilles
12-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Buy rice/oats/pasta in bulk.
Ditto,,,!!!, But I prefer bulgor in place of rice... buy whole wheat sliced bread too the type with multigrains on the crust. These will give you energy and bulk, healthily too. Don't forget veggies like cauliflower and kale.

Spartacus
12-05-2005, 12:26 AM
Ditto,,,!!!, But I prefer bulgor in place of rice... buy whole wheat sliced bread too the type with multigrains on the crust. These will give you energy and bulk, healthily too. Don't forget veggies like cauliflower and kale.

i'd make my own bread and skip the veggies (other than the cheapest ones like onion, potatoes) for a very budget diet. pre-prepared foods and most produce are moderately expensive.

Vegilles
12-05-2005, 08:28 AM
i'd make my own bread and skip the veggies (other than the cheapest ones like onion, potatoes) for a very budget diet. pre-prepared foods and most produce are moderately expensive.

Onions/potatoes are great but definately wouldn't skip veggies like greens [kale and spinach] in particular assist greatly in keeping vital, energetic, and healthy in mind and body. Personally I find cauliflower an asset in contributing to bulking.

On a low budget diet the chances of getting a good balance of essential nutrients diminish alot. So I recommend the above veggies as they are quite filling, last a long period of time, make you feel full, aid in body functioning properly in many ways and help keep the intestines running smoothly. So money-wise these are a good investment until $$ situation allows for extras.

Something like this you might like as a basic staple to start with;
Breakfast; big bowl of oats/milk
Lunch; Four whole wheat bread slices as a sandwiches for something of your choice [peanut butter]
Dinner; Generous amount of Pasta [bought in bulk//not cheap packaged brands] or Potatoes .... or rice/bulgor and beans [navy/kidney bought in bulk] to go along with your veggies and whatever else you desire.

Milk as your beverages.

Spartacus
12-05-2005, 09:10 AM
vegetables do have nutrients but you can get all the important ones from other foods. certainly there is no shortage of fibre on the foods mentioned so far (what i take it you're refering to). an optimal diet would have lots of vegetables, but not this one.

mrwalken
12-05-2005, 09:39 AM
vegetables do have nutrients but you can get all the important ones from other foods. certainly there is no shortage of fibre on the foods mentioned so far (what i take it you're refering to). an optimal diet would have lots of vegetables, but not this one.

I don't know where you get your veggies, but at the local fruit stand, i can get several pounds worth of produce (more than i can eat) for $10 a week. So I can't imagine not eating veggies for monetary reasons.

Spartacus
12-05-2005, 01:32 PM
I don't know where you get your veggies, but at the local fruit stand, i can get several pounds worth of produce (more than i can eat) for $10 a week. So I can't imagine not eating veggies for monetary reasons.

that would consume half of the OP's budget. the money would be better spent getting variety in the basic staples.

also i would focus on getting protein through high=protein staples, like peanuts, certain wheat products, and beans/lentils since this reduces amount of protein foods you need to buy.

bschatz88
12-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Beef & Bean Burritos. You can get a generic brand for about $.25 apiece. I don't have any on hand right now, but I believe they have around 400 calories and a good amount of protein as well.

Vegilles
12-06-2005, 12:48 PM
that would consume half of the OP's budget. the money would be better spent getting variety in the basic staples.

also i would focus on getting protein through high=protein staples, like peanuts, certain wheat products, and beans/lentils since this reduces amount of protein foods you need to buy.

I recommend at least OP should spend $5-7 a week on greens/fruits. These are very healthy foods that really shouldn't be neglected regarding micronutrients [I would personally consider this an essential staple]- especially with a low budget diet. The high protein bulk foods bought should leave enough money for a few greens/fruits especially if these are bought at a local farmer's Market [if one is accessibly close by]. Another benefit is the amount of water found in these foods, so the only other beverage he needs to only buy is milk, thus not be too concerned about spending extra $$ on juices.

getfit
12-06-2005, 12:56 PM
I recommend at least OP should spend $5-7 a week on greens/fruits. These are very healthy foods that really shouldn't be neglected regarding micronutrients [I would personally consider this an essential staple]- especially with a low budget diet. The high protein bulk foods bought should leave enough money for a few greens/fruits especially if these are bought at a local farmer's Market [if one is accessibly close by]. Another benefit is the amount of water found in these foods, so the only other beverage he needs to only buy is milk, thus not be too concerned about spending extra $$ on juices.
ofcourse, but i find fruits and vegetables to be one of the most expensive items now a days.

Vegilles
12-06-2005, 01:10 PM
ofcourse, but i find fruits and vegetables to be one of the most expensive items now a days.

All too true unfortunately, but I think it a worthwhile to allow a portion of my food budget dedicated to these foods to help in a major way keep things inside ticking properly like consistent good energy, no colds/depressive moods.

In addition these would add a nice variety to meals, which may tend to get monotonous with the same staple foods day in and out.

Actually I see you said you take a multivitamin eaj0010, so consider the fruits/veggies good for the benefits of your intestines.

getfit
12-06-2005, 01:49 PM
All too true unfortunately, but I think it a worthwhile to allow a portion of my food budget dedicated to these foods to help in a major way keep things inside ticking properly like consistent good energy, no colds/depressive moods.

In addition these would add a nice variety to meals, which may tend to get monotonous with the same staple foods day in and out.

Actually I see you said you take a multivitamin eaj0010, so consider the fruits/veggies good for the benefits of your intestines.
true, i'm also vegetarian.Fruits and vegetables come naturally too me :)