PDA

View Full Version : To everyone else new afraid...

ShockBoxer
12-05-2005, 06:10 PM
....to add calories at the end of a long cut because you think you'll instantly balloon back to where you started.

Don't be.

I added 600 calories a day last week.

Weight stayed 163 even.

Difference?

Bench 150 x 8 (PR), Deadlift 215 x 4 (PR), Assisted Pull-Ups BW-30x6 (PR), DB Incline Bench 55s x 6 (PR).

You gotta EAT!

BRD
12-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Cheers for the info its good to know , Ive been on a 10 month cut so far but still a little worried to add more calories.
Think i read somewhere else you hit a bit of a plateau with your cut ? be good to hear the results after you lower your calories again.

ShockBoxer
12-05-2005, 07:43 PM
I did plateau, more or less. I'm trying to find my new maintenance to properly subtract 500 or 20%... or decide to say screw it and add some muscle.

Evidently 2400 wasn't it. I'd have to do it a second week (oh, darn, I have to eat more food. Twist my rubber arm.) to see if I put on something like a half pound with it (more than maintenance but not enough to gain). Actually, I'll probably have to stay at 2400 all month (or increase a little) to track properly.

I think I can swing that over Christmas. :zipit:

tigo
12-05-2005, 09:34 PM
i've been wondering about this.. at the end of my cut... should i go back to maintenance step by step or just like jump back into it

Shao-LiN
12-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Step by step is always the safest way to help prevent any rebound, but it all really depends on your own body, how big the deficit was, and how long that deficit was maintained.

If you did something extreme like a PSMF (arbitrarily going to say 1500 calorie deficit from maintenance), then jumping up 1500 calories overnight is a recipe for weight rebound. But if you held a 500 calorie deficit over 4-6 weeks, then you could probably get away with adding those 500 calories back in.

So, the answer is...it depends. I wouldn't go so far as to say don't worry about just jumping back into maintenance...it all depends.

bigsethmeister
12-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Have to disagree.

Everyone's body is different. Mine is much more sensitive to fat gain and it works better for me to step it up slowly than to go right ahead and crank the cals back up.

....to add calories at the end of a long cut because you think you'll instantly balloon back to where you started.

Don't be.

ShockBoxer
12-06-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm talking about adding calories at all. A lot of people (me included) are afraid to increase by even a hundred because they remember how they once were. The actual numbers are dependent on who you are.

It's the fear of increasing that I'm talking about. You won't instantly transform into the human blob the second you come off your cut. How many times do 'I feel so terrible I cheated' threads come up?

bigsethmeister
12-06-2005, 10:24 AM
I'm talking about adding calories at all. A lot of people (me included) are afraid to increase by even a hundred because they remember how they once were. The actual numbers are dependent on who you are.

It's the fear of increasing that I'm talking about. You won't instantly transform into the human blob the second you come off your cut. How many times do 'I feel so terrible I cheated' threads come up?

Oh gotcha! Yes very true!! :nod: