PDA

View Full Version : deadlift record?

wildbill ws6
12-05-2005, 06:24 PM
doesnt matter how big the guy was. whats the most ever deadlifter with or without straps. is it over 1000 pounds?

SW
12-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Magnussen did a little over 1000lbs not too long ago I believe. He's 22 and on some serious gear.

Sensei
12-05-2005, 06:52 PM
I thought Benedict Magnusson did 970 and didn't quite lock out a grand...

edit: ...without straps, in competition of course. I have no idea what's been done with straps - strongman competitors can usually do much more, but it's usually with a shorter range of motion and sometimes with straps.

debussy
12-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Magnussen did a little over 1000lbs not too long ago I believe. He's 22 and on some serious gear.

He deadlifted ~970lbs... and what do steroids have anything to do with it? Like the rest of the rest of the elite level lifters aren't on steroids?

SW
12-05-2005, 07:07 PM
What does steroids have to do with it? He's 22. Hasn't had that long to build strength up. Never said the other elites weren't on steroids. Where'd you get that? I was making an observation.

dw06wu
12-05-2005, 10:18 PM
I agree with Nick. I dislike all the negative attitude to steroids, but I also dislike it when people on this site jump down everyones throat defending them like they're family or something. He was just supplying some rather relevant information.

Sensei
12-05-2005, 11:51 PM
How relevant is it? I think it's pretty safe to say that most, if not all, 900+ DLs were done with some "assistance"...

SkinnySadMan
12-06-2005, 12:16 AM
Still impressive even if he was on teh roids. There are plenty of people who take roids, and most of them can't DL over 900+ lbs.

dw06wu
12-06-2005, 01:20 AM
How relevant is it? I think it's pretty safe to say that most, if not all, 900+ DLs were done with some "assistance"...
Does your post not prove the relevancy of this fact? Who's to say the original poster knew this information?

spencerjrus
12-06-2005, 08:27 AM

Since when is 'couldnt do it without it' not relevant? Not everyone is aware that most elite lifters use gear, and there is no problem with talking about it. What are you concerned about?

Sensei
12-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Does your post not prove the relevancy of this fact? Who's to say the original poster knew this information? Umm, No? I guess it's just plain commonsense to me that many of the greatest strength athletes use.

Since when is 'couldnt do it without it' not relevant? Not everyone is aware that most elite lifters use gear, and there is no problem with talking about it. What are you concerned about?I have no problem with it at all. But, if you make a point of saying that someone is on "serious gear", are you not singling him out from the crowd???

dw06wu
12-06-2005, 12:13 PM
I have no problem with it at all. But, if you make a point of saying that someone is on "serious gear", are you not singling him out from the crowd???
What's the problem with that? It's a cold hard fact.

Isaac Wilkins
12-06-2005, 12:35 PM

What Sensei is trying to say is that all of the competitors have access to the same stuff, and most (if not all) are on it. If everyone is on a level playing field, who cares? There's no need to point it out, and it sounds like the person who first made the statement is trying to discredit the lift.

body
12-06-2005, 01:00 PM
the problem is the word "serious". this makes it sound like he is using far more than other elite athletes. this may be the case. But we do not know what he is on, and we do not know what other top athletes are on either.

JustinASU
12-06-2005, 02:05 PM
the problem is the word "serious". this makes it sound like he is using far more than other elite athletes. this may be the case. But we do not know what he is on, and we do not know what other top athletes are on either.

Nor does it matter. The guy pulled 970 lbs. Respect it for what it is. You all could be on 10 grams of test a week and never pull close to that. Get over yourselves.

RickTheDestroyer
12-06-2005, 02:09 PM
:withstupi

That dude's a much bigger beast at 22 than most people could ever be, assisted or not. He's also the strongest deadlifter alive.

Sensei
12-06-2005, 02:26 PM
What Sensei is trying to say is that all of the competitors have access to the same stuff, and most (if not all) are on it. If everyone is on a level playing field, who cares? There's no need to point it out, and it sounds like the person who first made the statement is trying to discredit the lift.
Thank you. That is exactly what I was trying to say.

Gutz981
12-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Jesus you know you people make the simplest things complicated. that being said. Not to jack this thread but anyone know the strongest squatter? I've heard John Benor (sp?).

Sensei
12-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Jesus you know you people make the simplest things complicated. that being said. Not to jack this thread but anyone know the strongest squatter? I've heard John Benor (sp?).
No, people should say what they mean and then not bitch when people call them on it.

John Bernor. He's definately a strong SOB.

Brent Mikesell, Steve Goggins, Beau Moore, Jeff Lewis, et. al have all squatted 1100+ in competition.

dw06wu
12-06-2005, 03:46 PM
None of your arguments change the fact that its worth mentioning, just for ****ing reference. I fail to understand how it detracts from the numbers. Why does everyone on this site get their god damn panties in a bunch about this subject?

Gutz981
12-06-2005, 03:50 PM
No, people should say what they mean and then not bitch when people call them on it.

John Bernor. He's definately a strong SOB.

Brent Mikesell, Steve Goggins, Beau Moore, Jeff Lewis, et. al have all squatted 1100+ in competition.

How about a world record squat?

Sensei
12-06-2005, 03:57 PM
None of your arguments change the fact that its worth mentioning, just for ****ing reference. I fail to understand how it detracts from the numbers. Why does everyone on this site get their god damn panties in a bunch about this subject?Seems to me that you are more ruffled about this than anyone else... nevermind. Not worth it.

How about a world record squat?It depends on the federation and the equipment. edit: Here's Jeff Lewis' 1200 http://www.bodytechusa.com/images/Jeff_Lewis05/05WPOSFDAY2_JeffLewisSQ3_Small.swf

WillKuenzel
12-06-2005, 04:04 PM
None of your arguments change the fact that its worth mentioning, just for ****ing reference. I fail to understand how it detracts from the numbers. Why does everyone on this site get their god damn panties in a bunch about this subject?
Its the negativity and ignorance about the subject. Maybe its worth mentioning, maybe its not. You also didn't mention that he was wearing a deadlift suit, used chalk and ammonia tabs. You singled out the steriods. I can bet that there are tons of natural athletes below your weight class that lift more. Do the steriods help? You bet. Are they the determining factor in lifting heavy? Hell no. Its diet, dedication, and desire.

I realize that the OP asked what the highest deadlift was regardless of equipment and in posting the number, it might have been relevent to post what was being used. There have been higher deadlifts done with straps. I believe Bolton has done over a 1000 with straps. I'd be happy to roll that across the floor or even get my hands on a bar big enough to hold that.

Don't make it all out to be negative. Maybe its not what you want to do but there are others that make it their life's goal to get something done. On an even playing field, why does it matter?

dw06wu
12-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Seems to me that you are more ruffled about this than anyone else... nevermind.
I'm ruffled because a lot of you guys flip out about stupid ****.

Not worth it.
You're right.

You also didn't mention that he was wearing a deadlift suit, used chalk and ammonia tabs. You singled out the steriods.
I did nothing of the sort.

JustinASU
12-06-2005, 05:52 PM
I'm ruffled because a lot of you guys flip out about stupid ****.

You're right.

I did nothing of the sort.

Most people were referring to Nick's post. His wording seemed as if he was pointing fingers at Magnusson specifically. It looked like he was insinuating that the gear had everything to do with it. Calm down.

SW
12-06-2005, 05:56 PM
I was the one who mentioned he was on gear. It's a simple fact and nothing was meant by it than to ****ing say HE'S ON GEAR! That's it! Nothing more, the man takes steroids, has incredible genetics and talent. Like dw06wu said, why get all out of whack about it? That's how it was meant, and the fact that we're even having this discussion means that some of you guys need to calm down some and stop looking for someone who is discrediting someone else for an accomplishment, because you DIDN'T FIND IT HERE.

khalid05
12-06-2005, 10:17 PM
I was the one who mentioned he was on gear. It's a simple fact and nothing was meant by it than to ****ing say HE'S ON GEAR! That's it! Nothing more, the man takes steroids, has incredible genetics and talent. Like dw06wu said, why get all out of whack about it? That's how it was meant, and the fact that we're even having this discussion means that some of you guys need to calm down some and stop looking for someone who is discrediting someone else for an accomplishment, because you DIDN'T FIND IT HERE.

The problem was you specifically(sp?) stated "He's on some serious gear". That right there says that the gear had everything to do with Benedikts deadlift record which is not true. IMO you worded it wrong. :windup: :cool:

dw06wu
12-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Calm down.
I didn't mean to sound uncalm. I just swear a lot when it isn't necessary, and on a board that puts in *'s makes it look that way.

spencerjrus
12-07-2005, 08:29 AM
The problem was you specifically(sp?) stated "He's on some serious gear". That right there says that the gear had everything to do with Benedikts deadlift record which is not true. IMO you worded it wrong. :windup: :cool:

Gear was extremely important in getting that record. He couldnt have done it without it. What is your point? No where in his comment does it say gear is solely responsible for him pulling that weight, but like I said, it wouldnt have happened without gear. What is wrong with bringing that up?

WillKuenzel
12-07-2005, 11:03 AM
It also wouldn't have happened without a suit and chalk but that wasn't mentioned either. He could have said, he was wearing equipment and "assisted" but instead drew the attention to the fact that he was using "serious gear". I'd like to know just what "serious gear" is. Do you know how much he is using? Do you know what a cycle is?

You're singling out one aspect of the lifters training while ignoring all the rest. Did the gear alone do it? No. It helps, yes, but so did the suit, so did the chalk, so did the freaking insane amount of dedication.

Its the diction of it.

Why even mention that one part if its not such a big deal?

dw06wu
12-07-2005, 11:20 AM
someone close this thread

khalid05
12-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Gear was extremely important in getting that record. He couldnt have done it without it. What is your point? No where in his comment does it say gear is solely responsible for him pulling that weight, but like I said, it wouldnt have happened without gear. What is wrong with bringing that up?

What exactly is "serious gear"? I would like to know. Why didn't he mention that Benni was using a deadlift suit and chalk? Why didn't he mention Benni's tremendous training dedication? Diet? see where I am getting at? Why single out one part of the equation when that part is not the main part. All Im trying to say is that the thread starter showed how much he knows(very little) about the sport of powerlifting with that comment..

SW
12-07-2005, 01:04 PM
I didn't start the thread, showing how little you know of reading english.

What's wrong with singleing that out? Why does it offend you? Why are we argueing over something that means diddly squat and doesn't need argued over?

Also, you'll see that in post 26 I gave him credit for talent and dedication. Wow, next time I mention someone's on gear, I'll have to talk about:

Genetics
Food
Experience
Suits
Chalk
Trainers
Routine
Amount of sleep
Resources

....and hundreds of other things that are responsible for their ability to lift huge weights. So, you can't play the game of "don't single out gear, what about everything else" because if you mentioned everything that had a role in making them the way they are, you'd be here all damn day. Why don't you guys cry "but what about gear" when someone says "wow, that gu is strong, he must've worked hard"? Because you're overly sensitive to the subject. The point is: I said he was on gear, he was. Oh, "serious" gear too. What is serious gear? Why, lots of it. No, I don't know much about it but I know he'd have to be on alot in order to make such a huge lift at that age.

This discussion is stupid. Pointless.

ElPietro
12-07-2005, 01:43 PM
I hear Ronnie is on serious gear.

OMG fight now like kids, I said serious gear!

Can you guy stay on the topic, you argue over semantics and technicalities like I do over hot or fire sauce at taco bell.