PDA

View Full Version : i'm getting lost,, with carbs in my diet.

itsjustmejim
01-05-2002, 09:00 AM
i'm a newbe. male, 6'3", 225lbs, 30 years old.

i'm trying to stay the same weight, but i wanna lose what i'm guessing to be 15%-20% body fat.

been going to the gym for weight training, and cardio.

i'm trying to nail down a eating routine, but i hear alot of "carbs are bad", "eat low carb food", "that meal has too many carbs"

but, then on the other hand, what can i eat, that doesn't have carbs?

here's my intake, that i love, but are there too many carbs?

breakfast- 1 can drained fruit cocktail. 1 banana.
1 tuna fish on whole wheat, no mayo/totally plain.

snack- 1 can drained fruit cocktail, slim fast bar.

lunch- 1-tuna fish on whole wheat, 1 cold plain baked potatoe,
1-boneless plain chicken breast.

snack- cup of white rice, boneless chicken breast.

dinner- boneless chicken breast, cup of white rice, 1 can drained fruit salad,

snack- boneless chichen breast, can of drained fruit cocktail,

notes: sometimes i'll replace a snack, or part of meal with ground up chicken breast/plain, on wheat bread. maybe a few table spoons of low fat peanut butter here and there. and a banana here and there. i also throw in a protein shake here and there.

my goals are to stay the same weight, or add a few pounds, but change my high body fat to muscle. i'd really hoping to see a huge transformation, from a homer simpson to a muscle man.

i hear comments that carbs are bad, but how would i gain the necessary 3000 calories a day?

thanks for the help, and have a great day..

Tryska
01-05-2002, 10:18 AM
you sure like canned fruit cocktail huh?

your gonna wanna reduce that in your diet and substitute substituste fresh fruit, but preferably more fibrous fresh veggies in their.

itsjustmejim
01-05-2002, 11:18 AM
ok, thanks for the tip about the fruit cocktail.

i've jumped right into the body makeover/change of life, and fruit cocktail seemed close at hand, and easy to prepare. i'm trying to go full force with motivation, and eat the best stuff.

i'm really not sure what kind of stuff to take in its place. i guess apples, oranges,babana?

thanks again...

Tryska
01-05-2002, 11:24 AM
yup...basically fresh fruits and vegetables. careful with all that fruit though....you'd do better to substitute some fresh veggies in more of your meals.....fruits contain a lot of sugar.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-05-2002, 11:51 AM
I totally agree with tryska about the fruit cocktail.

canned fruits = processed crap.

chances are they all sorts of added preservatives and sweetners and what-not. i'd go even further than T and tell you to drop them altogether. replace with fresh stuff - and definately get more green veggies down yer neck.

Another thing: pick up slim fast bar ---> throw bar in bin ----> take out trash.

Last thing for now: losing 15-20% bodyfat and staying the same weight = not gonna happen.

I personally think you'd feel better about yourself in the long run if you focused more on fat loss and not so much on muscle gain. Your body doesn't like adding muscle while dropping fat at the same time. it seems to work better if you cycle these ideas eg diet down for 12 weeks followed by 'bulking up' for 12 weeks.

I was lying, this is the last thing: carbs are not bad.

itsjustmejim
01-05-2002, 02:55 PM
ohhhh,,, not what i wanted to hear....

welp, i'm hooked on getting muscle, and at the same time, losing my belly.

i'll just keep working out, doing cardio, eating the best i can, and hopefully things will transform.

i can't do one at a time. (lose weight, then bulk)

it just seems like both would work.

i must say, one week into this diet, and by 4pm, i cant keep my eyes open. i read somewhere that its a sigh of low blood sugar.

any tips?

thanks again for the info about the fruit, veggies, and slim fast bars..

Tryska
01-05-2002, 03:25 PM
keep sugar intake low (ie all theprocessed fruit and whatnot)

eat every 2-3 hours (small meals) which youa re already doing. that should sort it.

Wizard
01-05-2002, 03:30 PM
Eat mostly real food and not protein shakes.Avoid juices.

MWB
01-05-2002, 06:53 PM
First off carbs are not bad, but excess carbs can easily be stored as fat. Looking at your diet your carb sources aren't really the best choices. Fruit is not the best thing to eat to lose fat. Stick to old fashoined oatmeal, sweet potatoes and BROWN rice. I have found that I can eat all the brocoli and couliflower I want and still lose fat, so right there are two veggies you can go nuts with.

At 6'3" 225 I kind of doubt that you have 20% bodyfat to lose. You may be AT 20-25% right now, but nobody gets to 0%. Most guys see their abs at around 10% for example. If you want to lose fat 3000 cals may be a tad high. If you take your bodyweight and multiply it by 12 you get 2700. You could eat something like 300-350 grams Protein, 225 grams carbs, and around 60 grams of fat. If you start losing more than 2 lbs a week, up the carbs a bit. If you don't lose at all drop the carbs or fat a bit.

For protein sources you can eat chicken breasts, turkey, lean beef like eye of round or 97% lean ground beef, cold water fish like tuna or salmon are good protein as well as fat sources.

TreeTrunks
01-05-2002, 06:59 PM
ditch the potato and white rice for brown rice and bring the one cup to say a half or quarter whatever fits in your diet calorie wise.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-05-2002, 07:05 PM
have you ever had the guidence of miss abs Mr Mystery White Boy?

itsjustmejim
01-05-2002, 07:19 PM
i have no idea what mr mystery white boy is.
maybe a diet? a counseler?

at any rate, i will re-do my diet, incorporating the brown rice, although i dont know what the benefit is. i thought it was slightly higher fat, but off hand, i forget what the 2 labels said. (white rice-brown rice)

this forum, and everyone who responds, has been a major help to me, and i'm sure lots of other people.

thanks again for taking the time to give me a hand.

yes, i guess if i had a goal of 10% bodyfat, and if i was currently at 25%, then i'd have roughly 15% to lose.

my goals are to look completely different, in 5 months. i wanna lose the belly, and gain some muscle.

i fell into a rut, during the last year, of drinking maybe 1500 alcohol calories before bedtime, usually trying to soak it up at the same time, with pounds of pasta.

TreeTrunks
01-05-2002, 08:13 PM
brown rice has a lower GI rating. Basically what that means is the lower the GI number the better the carb is. The higher the GI number the quicker is turns into glucose and stored as fat. Glucose would has a GI number 100 while white rice has a GI number of 70 and brown rice has a GI number of 60.

itsjustmejim
01-05-2002, 08:16 PM
cool, the gi index. now i understand it.

i found tons of examples, of low gi foods, and i'll only eat foods with a low gi index,,,,, (besides proteins)

awesome,,,,,,,,,thanks again..

Wizard
01-06-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by itsjustmejim
i have no idea what mr mystery white boy is.
maybe a diet? a counseler?

MWB

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-06-2002, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by TreeTrunks
The higher the GI number the quicker is turns into glucose and stored as fat.

..."and stored as fat"?!!!