PDA

View Full Version : what shoud you eat after a workout

doyoulikepie
01-05-2002, 09:32 AM
ive just done a workout at home on my weightbench, and was wondering what sort of foods you should eat after for maximum effect, my first choice was a raw egg yolk/white, but i wanted to make sure

:help:

syntekz
01-05-2002, 10:00 AM
You after workout meal will most likely be your biggest meal. You are going to want to eat a lot of carbs and a lot of protein. I've heard a good ratio to follow is 2 grams of carbs for every 1 gram of protein.

So maybe 70 grams of carbs and 35 protein right after you workout. And than about 90 minutes after this meal have another meal high in protein and carbs.

Ferdo
01-05-2002, 10:05 AM
who do you think you are Rocky, raw Egg yolk, that will make you either very sick or trust me on this you will not beable to stop farting for a day and the smell will be so bad , you will be kicked out of your house. Trust me on this one! if your going to have eggs cook them.

Severed Ties
01-05-2002, 11:09 AM
simple carbs and whey protein, could throw in some BCAA's or creatine as well, but you want something liquid to get the fastest absorbtion possible.

ST

Raildog
01-05-2002, 11:38 AM
This is my after workout meal:
4 egg beaters with some deli meat- omelet
1 piece of toast with jam
banana
2 cup apple juice

This takes about 6 mins to prepare...
It's about 120 grams of carbs, and around 30grams of protein...

raildog

Reinier
01-05-2002, 12:17 PM
i have a shake with 2 big scoops of whey/egg protein, (tablespoon) its 85% p powder and im guessing its 50 grams i put in there so like 42 grams of p. i mix this in water with some
nesquick or honey in there whatever is at hand and is fast carb.

then ill eat some white bread.

sometimes a banana, depends on whether i got them in the house at the time.

hardly any diet is written in stone with me... i go by feeling and the things i learned about macros on here, then take a decision of what would be best to eat at the given moment.

body
01-05-2002, 01:13 PM
I normally drink milk as its convienent.

MonStar1023
01-05-2002, 01:54 PM
I am following the recommendations in "Natural Hormonal Enhancement" which suggests 2 scoops of whey protein along with some flax seed oil..

:cool::cool:

Not too tasty!

Ferdo
01-05-2002, 02:06 PM
Is it the flax seed that makes that not taste good, What does flax seed oil taste like. I take 3 slmon oil capsules right after my workout with my shake, is that as good as flax?

Wizard
01-05-2002, 03:19 PM
It's better but not needed after workout.

TreeTrunks
01-05-2002, 03:34 PM
My postworkout meal is 1/2 uncooked rice, for some of you all thats uncooked when I measure it but it does get cooked. 2 sccops EAS simply protein, 2 cups milk and 3 egg whites. then since I workout kinda late right before bed a cup of nonfat cottage cheese between 2 slices of whole wheat bread chases down with water.

H. Killebrew
01-05-2002, 05:37 PM
Right after my workout I have a whey protein shake mixed with some dextrose and skim milk (I prefer Muscletech Vanilla Cream Meso-Tech as my post workout shake). Then about an hour to 2 hours after my workout I have a "largish" meal with a big portion of complex carbs (usually brown rice or oatmeal, and occasionally some nuked potatoes) and some quality protein (usually steak, chicken breast, tuna, or fresh salmon).

coolslug
01-05-2002, 06:02 PM
You after workout meal will most likely be your biggest meal. You are going to want to eat a lot of carbs and a lot of protein. I've heard a good ratio to follow is 2 grams of carbs for every 1 gram of protein.

After my workouts I have been eating protein bars (32g) if I'm at the gym or Whey Protein drink if my workout was at home. I never thought about carbs though. What's the benifit of eating the carbs after workout? Why such a high ratio? If I had known this before I would have just stopped in at McDonald's after my workouts. A filet of fish (protein) with fries (carbs) costs about the same and tastes a heck of a lot better than protein bars. :confused:

Delphi
01-05-2002, 06:17 PM
My thoughts exactly. Especially if you're bulking. I like a double meat burger from either WhataBurger or Burger King. I've gotten to where I only eat about 1/4 of the French fries from WhataBurger. Can't eat those turd rolls they call French fries at Burger King at all, though.

TreeTrunks
01-05-2002, 06:36 PM
During your workout your body uses a lot of carbs. So after a workout its important to take in a lot of carbs to replenish your muscle glycogen or else your body will use amino acids for fuel and thats where the BMFs runs into trouble.

Delphi
01-05-2002, 06:38 PM
LOL

TreeTrunks
01-05-2002, 06:40 PM
Its true though.

Delphi
01-05-2002, 06:45 PM
What's your thought on drinking a sports drink with creatine in it immediately after a workout on the idea that the muscles are hungry for glucose and will soak up creatine better?

TreeTrunks
01-05-2002, 06:46 PM
Assuming the sports drink has enough sugar in it. Grape juice is preferred. And of course drinks lots of H20.

coolslug
01-05-2002, 07:32 PM
the Doc posted the following on another thread:

i meant in terms of pre-postworkout meals it is not surprising that carbs are not recommended as insulin spikes are to be avoided (fat burning methodology)

Hmm...come on guys. What's best after a workout? Protein and carbs or just protein alone? What is best? A burger and fries or just protein?

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-05-2002, 07:49 PM
Doc recommended that about a particular diet plan. unless you plan to follow it i suggest you take in carbs and fast acting protein post train.

don't eat burger and fries.

MonStar1023
01-05-2002, 07:52 PM
According to Rob Faigin in "Natural Hormonal Enhancement" he suggests no carbs at all PRE and POST workout. Carbs cause your body to secrete insulin, which is a fat-storing horomone in itself. Although insulin itself is anabolic, Rob suggest carb-up meals twice a week a couple hours before bed. Good luck guys.

"Carbohydrate consumed before or during exercise restrains growth hormone release..." NHE pg. 242

"All the misinformed 'experts' and the ones with hidden commercial agendas would have you drink a 'recovery' drink or shake. The insulin spike will, literally within seconds of swallowing your first gulp, kick you out of the heightened fat-burning state that you worked so hard during your workout to attain. You will still enjoy the benefit of the post-exercise metabolic elevation, which is independent of horomonal factors, but the percentage of fat burned to fufill the increased post-exercise energy requirement will be reduced significantly." NHE pg. 243

"I recommend making your own pre-workout performance drink or post-workout recovery drink. First, a buy high-quality protein powder... Add a few tablespoons of whipping cream and ice and blend for a low-carb, high-protein, moderate-fat, rich, creamy, frosty, shake. You can substitute a tablespoon of olive oil and/or flaxseed oil for a tablespoon of cream to provide even more health and fat loss benefits. Using oil will allow you to use less saturated fat in the form of cream." NHE pg. 243

TreeTrunks
01-05-2002, 08:08 PM
monstar is that an endocrinologist?

MonStar1023
01-05-2002, 08:18 PM
TreeTrunks-
Nah hes not an endocrinologist. I dont remember what he is...

TreeTrunks
01-05-2002, 08:22 PM
What about carbs 45-60 min before a workout? You need carbs after a workout though.

MonStar1023
01-05-2002, 08:28 PM
TreeTrunks-
You dont need carbs before or after a workout. You NEED protein to survive, you also need fat to survive, you do NOT need carbs to survive. Carb-up meals will help replenish muscle and liver glycogen though, which is helpful in working out intensely.

TreeTrunks
01-05-2002, 08:30 PM
when you workout do you burn carbs? What happens when all your carb. storage is gone? Whats used as fuel?

little guy
01-05-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by TreeTrunks
when you workout do you burn carbs? What happens when all your carb. storage is gone? Whats used as fuel?

Protein and fat.

Maki Riddington
01-05-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by MonStar1023
TreeTrunks-
You dont need carbs before or after a workout. You NEED protein to survive, you also need fat to survive, you do NOT need carbs to survive. Carb-up meals will help replenish muscle and liver glycogen though, which is helpful in working out intensely.

*** Though they may not be needed to "survive" they are extremely helpful in extendeding ones life span.

MonStar1023
01-05-2002, 09:00 PM
TreeTrunks-
little guy answered that pretty well.

Bam Bam
01-05-2002, 09:26 PM
i have 20 grams of whey and 100 grams of maltodextrine

1 hr later real food usually carbs protein and fat

TreeTrunks
01-05-2002, 09:42 PM
protein exactly. Without proper amounts of carbs your body will end up breaking down muscle and using it as fuel. I just don't see why people have to try every fad type diet that comes around. Why can't people just stick to the basics?

MonStar1023
01-05-2002, 09:43 PM
Natural Horomonal Enhancement is the opposite of a fad diet. It discusses the "basics" as you like to call them. It discusses fad diets and talks about how to avoid them. Rob also discusses the hormonal effects of certain foods..

TreeTrunks
01-05-2002, 09:58 PM
The best books are by Dr. Fred Hatfield or Dr. Squat. He actually has a Ph.D

MonStar1023
01-05-2002, 10:09 PM
Okay.

:D:D

Alex.V
01-05-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by TreeTrunks
The best books are by Dr. Fred Hatfield or Dr. Squat. He actually has a Ph.D

In sociology. :)

Delphi
01-05-2002, 10:19 PM
Kinda like Dr. Laura has a PhD-

- in Kinesiology.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-06-2002, 06:14 AM
Like i said before, i'd only suggst following rob's no-carbs-pre-or-post-train if yu're following the entire diet, or one similar to that.

"when you workout do you burn carbs? What happens when all your carb. storage is gone? Whats used as fuel? " - TreeTrunks

short duration, high intensity exercise like weights use carbs as the primary source, but just like any other time of the day, the body burns a bit of every macro - protein and fat too - just in different ratios.

Your carb storage [glycogen] will never 'run out' unless you're dead or halfway there.

when your glycogen stores are well depleted the body just uses a higher ratio of fats and proteins for energy. I can't remember for sure, but i'm sure that it also burns a higher ratio of the aminos from the blood than in muscle tissue at first, but dont quote me on that. Eventually when aminos in the blood stream are few and far between it'll put more 'focus' onto muscle tissue breakdown.

"Without proper amounts of carbs your body will end up breaking down muscle and using it as fuel" - TT

not true. you ever heard of ketones?

btw, to answer a question from another thread, i'm not ACE certified, but i am ace in general.

TreeTrunks
01-06-2002, 10:01 AM
tisk tisk tisk! Bad karma to diss Dr. Squat like that! He has a Ph.D in exercise science. You all could learn a LOT from him.

Wizard
01-06-2002, 10:12 AM
Karma what? You mixed up the boards pal :D

MonStar1023
01-06-2002, 10:39 AM
Karma...

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wizard
01-06-2002, 11:00 AM
You're a mod over there right?

body
01-06-2002, 11:04 AM
chicken wrote"Your carb storage [glycogen] will never 'run out' unless you're dead or halfway there. "

But before trianing I want it to be full(glycogen storage) so i get the best out of my training.

eat your carbs and protien post training. The author may go on that you will not burn fat if you eat loads of carbs post training. You will burn fat(adipose tissue) if you under eat. if you over eat, espesically if eating fat then it will get stored more easily. keto diets are for people who want to loose weight not gian lots of muscle.

chicken wrote "Without proper amounts of carbs your body will end up breaking down muscle and using it as fuel" - TT

not true. you ever heard of ketones? "

But gylcogen will give you greater ATP regeneration per second to allow you to get those reps while squating hard.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-06-2002, 11:28 AM
Oh my...

Wizard
01-06-2002, 11:35 AM
The truth is that you perform better when your glycogen stores have enough fuel.

It's not so smart to avoid eating carbs before the workout.The choice of carbs makes the difference.

PowerManDL
01-06-2002, 11:50 AM
Insulin and thereby glycogen uptake is highest about an hour after ingesting high-GI carbs.

Why not take advantage of that? Eat something an hour before training, then drink gatorade or something similar while training. That way, the insulin levels will drop off 30-60 minutes after training.

I recommend this for a few reasons. One, you'll have optimal energy while training. Two, during and immediately post-training, insulin is far more beneficial than hGH, because it replenishes depleted energy stores and it has a synergistic effect with IGF-1 that can increase protein synthesis.

The immediate post-lift drink should have a lot of protein, and some low-GI carbs, but not nearly as much as the pre-lift meal and drink. You don't need another insulin spike at this point. Ideally, you'd want to time a second protein/fat/fiber meal about one hour after the post-lift drink, which will stabilize insulin levels and cause an hGH spike.

Why my sudden change of heart on hGH? Upon further reading, I realized that I was dealing with the workout session and the time frame immediately after. In that context, I stand by what I said. hGH is practically useless, unless one is cutting. During the day as a whole, hGH releases can aid in recovery, fat loss, and possibly protein synthesis, to a degree. Testosterone is much more important in that role, however.

Maki Riddington
01-06-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
I can't remember for sure, but i'm sure that it also burns a higher ratio of the aminos from the blood than in muscle tissue at first, but dont quote me on that. Eventually when aminos in the blood stream are few and far between it'll put more 'focus' onto muscle tissue breakdown.

"

*** Thats correct in a general sense.

Twizted
01-06-2002, 04:44 PM
whey protein shake and caffeine free soda(or fruit juice).the insulin spike will help deliver amino acids to your muscles and replace muscle glycogen

TreeTrunks
01-06-2002, 05:22 PM
I mixed up the board pal?

Wizard
01-07-2002, 05:14 AM
I was reffering to Karma.. :rolleyes: