PDA

View Full Version : Help with my lunch time diet

WBBIRL
12-07-2005, 03:51 PM
I work for my uncle, and he usually takes me and his other workers out for lunch. The only problem is that he always eats as fast food places or bars and their food is NOT healty at all.

I want to pack a lunch but there are limatations. It all needs to be precooked, and nothing will be able to be heated up ( I dont care about eating cold food ). I want to stay away from things like sandwiches but I may let a few PB&J or tuna in there.

Any ideas on things I could pack in my lunch???

Im thinking stuff like this:

Boneless skinless chicken breasts (precooked)
Cottage cheese
tuna fish
PB&J
Fruits
*MAYBE* Yougurt
Milk

Other then that im pretty lost, I would like alittle more vartiey. Any help would be nice.

spencerjrus
12-07-2005, 04:15 PM
How about pasta with some kind of meat sauce?

Optimum08
12-07-2005, 04:16 PM
why staying away from sandwiches? those are the consummate sack lunch food...

JustinASU
12-07-2005, 04:45 PM
How about pasta with some kind of meat sauce?

:withstupi

I'm a big fan of whole wheat pasta with lean ground beef in maranara sauce. This would not be terrible cold. Otherwise a Natty PB sammich or turkey sammich on WW bread would rock.

Optimum08
12-07-2005, 04:52 PM

I'm a big fan of whole wheat pasta with lean ground beef in maranara sauce. This would not be terrible cold. Otherwise a Natty PB sammich or turkey sammich on WW bread would rock.

or multiple turkey/PB sandwiches plus some pasta....

WBBIRL
12-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Im trying to lose alot of weight, pasta and meat sauces wouldnt help (would they????)

Utopianhopes
12-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Im trying to lose alot of weight, pasta and meat sauces wouldnt help (would they????)

Depends on the diet your on and quantity of consumption.

For sandwiches I use Nature's Own 100% whole Grain wheat 50 cal. 11g carbs, 3g protein, 1g of fat (I am in a low carb diet, I use up most of carbs during lunch). I also round off the ends of the bread and throw them away.

I also use sliced ham, chicken salads, and I am currently looking for a good quality shaker cup to take on the go.

If you don't care to eat it cold then:
-Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%) broiled seasoned (usually make a burger without the bread).
-Beef Sirloin Tip steak cooked with olive oil.

Complementary (I do small quantities.)
-Boiled Potatoe
-Broccoli
-Rice

Here a great thread:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565

The rule of thumb for me is You can play with different types food aslong as you stay with in your Total calorie intake and meet your protien, carb, fat requirements.

Built
12-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Ziplock baggie with a single portion of salad dressing.
Second ziplock baggie full of salad.
Pack tupperware with poached chicken breasts cut into strips.

Toss chicken into the baggie with the dressing, then dump the salad into that same baggie.

Zip it closed, massage/toss the dressing into the salad, eat.

I do this for lunch nearly every day. Nice with half an avocado tossed in if you can afford the calories. Very satisfying.

A handful of walnuts or pecans makes a nice healthy-fat addition, too.

WBBIRL
12-07-2005, 07:06 PM
Dont like salad.

spencerjrus
12-07-2005, 07:13 PM

Havnt you already learned its not WHAT you eat but how much that determines weight loss?

Optimum08
12-07-2005, 08:14 PM
calories out vs. calories in...thats what it comes down to..

Shao-LiN
12-07-2005, 10:55 PM

They won't help if you're overeating them. Thought you would've known that by now.

HILL
12-08-2005, 03:39 AM
i used to make pasta with healthy living sausage and a sauce was tasty cold. however now im lazy and have a home made protein bar instead. hunger doesnt bother me and im so lazy that i prefer to do this for the time being anyway. as long as it fits into your micros for the day it doesnt matter really. all the above are good ideas as long as you fit them in and dnt go over your calorie needs for the day

WBBIRL
12-08-2005, 06:08 AM
Well right now I have no idea what my exact calorie range is. I've been staying at or below 2500 cals for a while and I have no hunger problems doing this.

I know that cals in vs cals out control weight loss but the way im eating now my nutrients are messed up. Too many carbs, slightly too much fat and not nearly enough protein... so i understand that while portion control will basically allow my diet to remain similar in food choices. I thought though by makeing better choices I can not only eat more, but eat more often (which is better for you anyhow right??).

So I just wanted to pack some healthier things to take with me, wrather then eating a pizza buffet, a 1K cal sub from sheetz or a god knows how many cal lunch from a bar.

I always eat 2 packets of Quaker Instant Oatmeal for breakfast and have 8 or so oz of milk and 16-32 oz of water. So that pretty much leaves me with 2000 cals through the day which I want devided up into 3 meals.

Because of work my eating times look like this:

8:30 am breakfast
11 am - 1 pm lunch (varies alot, atleast it does right now)
6 pm - 7 pm dinner (varies alot also, just for the moment)

This is what I want

8 breakfast

12 lunch

4 meal

8 dinner

HILL
12-08-2005, 06:21 AM
well then arrange your cals around those times and make sure they fit into 2500 cals. atleast 1 - 1.5 g of protein per pound of bodyweight, 0.5g of fat per pound of lbm as a minimum the rest with carbs. we are giving yu what you need and all other information is around you on this forum. all you have to do is make sure what you eat = the above

Utopianhopes
12-08-2005, 08:08 AM
I thought though by makeing better choices I can not only eat more, but eat more often (which is better for you anyhow right??).

Well now you’re getting into calorie density, you can eat a nice size meal or a meal replacement bar and get the same amount of nutrition. The smarter choice for me would be the meal as it has more filling.

I also think you should come up with what you like for your meals. It is one of my favorite parts of cutting. I get to be creative and design my meals for everyday. Lately, I have been adding grapes to my cottage cheese w/pineapple. Grapes seem to have low calorie density as I can eat 30 of them for 40cal and 12carbs.

fhornhead
12-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Any ideas on things I could pack in my lunch???

Im thinking stuff like this:

Boneless skinless chicken breasts (precooked)
Cottage cheese
tuna fish
PB&J
Fruits
*MAYBE* Yougurt
Milk

man, PB&J is good for people trying to bulk, but you should stay away from that stuff in general. It is high in fat. drink SKIM milk or a non-fat dairy beverage.....also, a low fat cottage cheese. Tuna is great, but keep your meat portions to 4 oz. or less per meal.....I would either have the chicken or the Tuna, but not both and would suppliment the meal with other non-meat choices. Fruits are OK too, but choose fruits that are on the low end of the Glycemic Index like Strawberries or Peaches (the fruits are a great source of fiber). Start looking at the Glycemic Index for all your menu choices.

The body processes low fat foods much faster than fatty foods. I like the fact you are going to try for 4 meals a day. I'm guessing......Breakfast, Snack, Lunch and Dinner? Sandwiches are not always bad. If you use a low calorie grains bread like Natures Own Double Fiber http://www.flowersfoods.com/FFC_Brands/BrandDetail.cfm?BrandID=2 , you will be OK eating bread. Just use as many NO fat or LOW fat ingredients in the sandwich as you can. I'm also going to try and attach a GI chart to give you ideas on what is low GI and what is high GI. (Give up Potatoes until you are ready to bulk again)