PDA

View Full Version : Thin Guy in Need of Advise for Weight Gain

Absolut2200
01-05-2002, 12:45 PM
I need some on how to gain weight. I have read and bought supplements that I have not become dedicated to, due to their taste and textures.

I am starting to eat more than 2 times a day.

Any advise on eating habits that would help me accomplish my goal in gaining 30-40 lbs versus my present 6ft, 140lbs frame?

Also, many supplements contain milk or whey properties that I can not digest. I received advise from another forum site about taking steriods, but those are not for me!

Jane
01-05-2002, 01:22 PM
Alright, you gotta get some more mass on ya. And you can do it without steroids or even supplements if you plan right. First, figure out how many calories it takes to maintain your current weight. I'm estimating around 2500, but perhaps someone else could give you a link for a basal metabolic rate (BMR) calculator or help you out with that.

Then you're going to need, if you'd like to gain something like a pound a week, approximately an extra 500 calories a day. There are different macronutrient ratios you could use, but make sure to get plenty of protein--at least 30,40 percent of calories. Break your meals up into 5-8, depending on what your schedule allows. Get protein at each meal.

For your lifting regimen, if you don't currently have one, check out the wannabebig routines.

This is just some very very basic information, try running a couple searches on this site, look at articles, and if you still have questions, ask :)

Ferdo
01-05-2002, 01:43 PM
If you were only eating two times a day before, its going to be hard to start off. Your stomach must be very small. You have to expand it. I was like this before, i would never be hungry, the more you eat the more hungry you get, Thats what I believe, so you want to start eating alot, dont worry about how often just eat all the time. If you are very skinny, i would not vene worry about eating things such as Pizza. When you start getting the weight up start eating , good all the time. I would say get Weight Gainer shakes, but I cant put those down myself. A sample would be to eat for Breakfast, a protein shake, 1 fat free yougurt, 2 slices whole wheat toast- with 1 table spoon of olive oil on each slice and maybe a waffle or pancake . You have their about 35 g protein, 45 grams carbs, a good amount of fat from the olive oil. In the range of 650 calories. I eat this for breakfast and it doesnt give you that extremely full bloated feeling.

Main thing is just Eat.

Ferdo
01-05-2002, 02:13 PM
Oh ya, I forgot I wouldnt really do to much Cardio, but if you want its ok. But I would definetly not reccomend eating a Bulking diet and not getting to the gym atleat 4 times a week, your metab will eventually slow down and the belly will get huge.

TreeTrunks
01-05-2002, 03:38 PM
eat 7 meals a day and consume 5500 calories a day with a good workout routine. try a 50% carbs 30% protein 20% fat ratio. Use supplements as just that to supplement with your diet. You can't just take them and magically gain 20-30lbs of lean muscle mass as the companies would like you to think. Just eat! Eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Reinier
01-05-2002, 04:06 PM
5500 is one shitload of calories for a 140 pounder...
isn`t he gonna gain a little too much fat?

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-05-2002, 04:09 PM
yes.

My God, TT, i can blatantly tell you are an acquaintence of Gyno...

TreeTrunks
01-05-2002, 04:20 PM
Well I guess thats why gyno and myself are big and strong because we understand to gain you must eat a lot! And have you all ever heard of cardio? Im sure he is capable of burning of the little fat he would gain. Maybe you all should eat more, maybe you'll gain some muscle mass!

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-05-2002, 04:26 PM
yes, you are big and macho and yet you're the one with a vanilla ice quote in your sig.....

Jane
01-05-2002, 04:29 PM
5000 calories is great!

if you want to join the FFFA...:)

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-05-2002, 04:35 PM
Fooking faggot fat asses.

TreeTrunks
01-05-2002, 04:36 PM
Well you can rerstrict you calories like all BMFer's and never reach the goals you want to obtain or you can eat smart and train smart. Your choice. I am big and macho, thanks. Must everything be spelled out for some people!?! the vanilla ice quote is a joke man, have you ever seen "cool as ice"? its vanilla ice's movie, totally lame. I dn't see where eating 5000 calories is a bad thing when you eat the right macro ratios and eat the right foods and on top of that training hard. If he sat on his butt all day yeah that is too many calories drop the calories down to 2500 if he was inactive but obviously he's not. Are you all ACE certified?

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-05-2002, 04:56 PM
TT, even at a most extreme level of activity the lad wouldn't only need to take in approximately 3500 cals a day to stay at the same weight.

If we take that he's gonna weight train 3-4 days a week this'll be more like moderate to very active and takes his needs down to about 2800-3000 cals.

if he went by your rationing, he'd be taking in about 1500-2000 cals more than he needs.

over the course of 7 days this equates to possible 12-14k cals more a week that he isn;t burning off.

this is the equivalent of 3 - 4lbs of weight, which will be mostly fat gain. I'm not saying it'll be 3-4lbs of fat only, but i definately believe the ratio of fat to muscle added will be higher.

the doc
01-05-2002, 04:58 PM
concentrate on a few things at first.
1) Eat on a schedule, five times a day- eat something at each of these times. Once you are eating regularly then you can try working up to 5000 or even 10000 cals, but do it over time as there's no way you can hold that much food right now.
2) Since you find it hard to gain weight dont worry as much about what you eat. Regardless it goes to say that fast food should not exist except in emergencies.
3) Workout intensely. cardio when you feel recovered and able.

Alex.V
01-05-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by TreeTrunks
Well you can rerstrict you calories like all BMFer's and never reach the goals you want to obtain

I own you.

Delphi
01-05-2002, 06:25 PM
Eat your usual two meals. Add a third meal. Get some whey protein powder and drink a shake 2-3 times a day (obviously not the same one ;)) in between the other meals. Do squats once a week and some type of deadlift once a week, for their anabolic effect. Don't lift every day. Do something like one of the two WannaBeBig routines listed on the main website. Forget counting calories. I guarantee you'll gain 20 pounds in 2-3 months.

TreeTrunks
01-05-2002, 06:32 PM
Bring it, Belial:evillaugh :shoot:

Alex.V
01-05-2002, 09:17 PM
You don't want none of this. Now let's keep this over in general chat....

Twizted
01-07-2002, 06:30 AM
it's strange you can't digest whey it's almost lactose free.as for the taste of the shakes plug you nose and pretend your Rocky

Tryska
01-07-2002, 06:33 AM
whoa. i just realized...you and Twiztid are not the same person are you?

Gyno Rhino
01-07-2002, 11:32 AM
Take in 4000 cals a day. Don't stop bulking till you reach 185 at the least.

cmacca
01-09-2002, 03:56 PM
Hi, I was in the same boat as you 2 months ago..
I was 6ft, 140pnds.. We are called hard gainers. The wieght just doesn't come on.. I was fortunate to find a site on the net which helped me out TONNES.. I only used the info from this site and did not buy anything..
If you are serious about gaining weight, you have to act serious i.e. be strict.. Before you know it it wont be hard.. Here is the site I have used to get me going..

http://www.musclegaintips.com/

P.S. I have been doing this for 2 months and I now weigh 160pnd

Twizted
01-09-2002, 07:58 PM
it wasnt done on purpose it looks like he had the name first so im going to reregister