PDA

View Full Version : My Diet.. What do you think?

jamrock
12-08-2005, 08:56 AM
I am 5'11, 245lbs at around 30% bf. Trying to keep carbs low while protein and fats high. My goal is to get back to 190/200lbs and start to bulk clean.

M1: shake???

M2: 3 eggs, provolone (1 slice), bacon (2 slice), onions/peppers, olive oil
Cals: 537, 43/3/33

M3: Chicken Breast (or Tuna/Steak), Low-Carb Wrap, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Olive Oil
Cals: 392, 17/3/56

M4: Cashews, provolone (2 slice)
Cals: 363, 29/9/19

M5: Chicken Breast (or Tuna/Steak), Low-Carb Wrap, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Olive Oil
Cals: 392, 17/3/56

M6: Chicken Breast (or Tuna/Steak), Broccoli
Cals: 279, 3/4/57

Misc: Gallon of H20, Multi-Vitamin

Totals..1963 Cals, 109/22/221

Above is the first draft of my daily diet (Mon-Fri), I don't mind the same foods as long as its easy to prepare and there for me when my body is hungry. The totals could be slightly off as I will be randomly using chicken/beef or tuna and either broccoli or green beans.

I wake up around 5:30, I will be heading to the gym. Not sure of M1 should be a shake - or nothing at all. Maybe I should have a shake before and after I work out since my carbs are low the rest of the day? What should be in this shake? My calorie totals above do not include a shake (I don't know what to put in it). Damn, just realized I could not find 'Low Carb Wraps' in Fitday, so that info is not included either.

It seems like a lot of food, not sure if I can trim it down to smaller meals? Maybe I will only have 1 wrap, and the other wrap will be meat/veggies like the last meal?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Built
12-08-2005, 10:55 AM
What are your maintenance calories, bud? These calories are what I started my cut on, and I only weighed about 140 lbs at the time. It'll be good to see the cals once you get the shake and the wrap in.

A shake before you lift would be helpful. If it's about a half hour before you lift, try powdering some oats in a spice mill, and adding that powder to your whey shake. That way you'll get in some protein and carb before you train. Alternatively, you could try something like a small bagel with jam with your shake, if it's gonna be at least half an hour from the time you eat until you hit the gym.

You can do whey with dex during/after you train if you can afford the calories, and plan to have a lowfat, carb-and-protein solid meal after you lift - oats and egg whites, something solid and a little bit slower than your whey with dextrose that you either slammed back after you trained, or sipped during your workout (I much prefer to sip it during, but that's me).

Start taking fish oil if you aren't already. Put it into your lower carb meals.

If you plan to carb cycle, do something like "under 100g carb" on non-lifting days, "over 100g carb" on lifting days. I go about 100g and 200g - it's mostly just for hunger control. I get hungrier on higher carbs, so I limit them unless it's a lifting day.

jamrock
12-08-2005, 12:43 PM
What are your maintenance calories, bud? These calories are what I started my cut on, and I only weighed about 140 lbs at the time. It'll be good to see the cals once you get the shake and the wrap in.

A shake before you lift would be helpful. If it's about a half hour before you lift, try powdering some oats in a spice mill, and adding that powder to your whey shake. That way you'll get in some protein and carb before you train. Alternatively, you could try something like a small bagel with jam with your shake, if it's gonna be at least half an hour from the time you eat until you hit the gym.

You can do whey with dex during/after you train if you can afford the calories, and plan to have a lowfat, carb-and-protein solid meal after you lift - oats and egg whites, something solid and a little bit slower than your whey with dextrose that you either slammed back after you trained, or sipped during your workout (I much prefer to sip it during, but that's me).

Start taking fish oil if you aren't already. Put it into your lower carb meals.

If you plan to carb cycle, do something like "under 100g carb" on non-lifting days, "over 100g carb" on lifting days. I go about 100g and 200g - it's mostly just for hunger control. I get hungrier on higher carbs, so I limit them unless it's a lifting day.

I don't eat all that much, sometimes I splurge on crap food but for the last two weeks I have been eating "well" (kind of).

So far today (and most of the last week or two) I had a cereal bar, milk, some crackers (normally its cashews), I had a plain cheese burger for lunch, and for dinner I plan to have skirt steak with broccoli. Also I drank a Fruitopia. That puts me at about around 1800-1900 calories. Obviously I have had days I went way over, regularly..at least that is what I can figure from this small child hanging from my midsection. :P

Does a surplus of healthy calories aid in taking advantage of being able to grow while burning fat when you first start lifting?

This looks like a lot of food, but the calories seem low to me also.. And I actually know what I look like.

:) thanks

Built
12-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Skip the cereal bar, the crackers and the fruitopia - you can't afford junk food on a cut - eat real food.

This statement makes no sense:
"Does a surplus of healthy calories aid in taking advantage of being able to grow while burning fat when you first start lifting?"

Excess calories = weight gain.

Caloric deficit = weight loss.

If you change your calories enough, but not too much, the following will happen:

Excess calories + heavy lifting = muscle gain, and a little fat gain.

Caloric deficit + heavy lifting = fat loss, and a little muscle loss.

Where these calories come from (ie healthy or unhealthy) won't really affect these equations.

But it's a LOT more comfortable to cut on clean food than junk food (junk food makes you hungry), and on lower calories, eating more nourishing food for what little you get to eat is probably a good idea.

On a bulk, because it's so easy to go overboard on the calories with junk food, it's a good idea to limit it so you don't gain too fast and gain more fat than muscle.

jamrock
12-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Technically I will be consumming more calories with this cutting diet than I normally have just eating crap. Most of the crap is probably carbs and bad fatty acids. Can I expect my muscle gains to be decent while cutting (even though its more cals than I normally eat)?

The crackers were only today, I have been having cashews and peanuts.

Edit: I get it.. Regardless if in caloric deficit I will loose weight, if there is a surplus I will gain muscle/fat.