PDA

View Full Version : Salt?

Ferdo
01-05-2002, 02:16 PM
I like a good amount of salt, on my chicken. Does salt hinder gains, or is it just bad for the heart.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-05-2002, 02:28 PM
do you eat much food with high sodium concentrations?

is it just chicken you like to salt? or do you salt all food?

Ferdo
01-05-2002, 02:39 PM
Well i dont eat junk foods such as chips, and mainly i will just add salt to thngs such as meat , potatoes and vegs and salads.

ericg
01-07-2002, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Ferdo
Well i dont eat junk foods such as chips, and mainly i will just add salt to thngs such as meat , potatoes and vegs and salads.

So can we ASSume that you salt everything, sounds like you do??

Sodium will make you retain water, right guys and gals?? Not sure if it will hinder gains though. So cut out salt for a month and see what happens, then you will know; keep the rest of your diet the same though.

Wizard
01-07-2002, 07:10 AM
It won't hinder your gains but it makes you retain some extramuscular water and you may have a puffy look. If your vascularity level decreases cut back on your salt intake.Some salt (sodium) is essential though.

01-07-2002, 11:46 AM
it shouldn't hinder gains but psychologically it may be detrimental cause you will always look puffy and that could lead you to thinking your gaining too much fat. A little bit of salt goes a long way in the amount of sodium its adds to your diet. Especially if your adding it to almost anything you eat.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-07-2002, 12:47 PM
it can aid in high blood pressure too. if your family has a history of heart disease or high BP then be careful with it.

gino
01-07-2002, 01:36 PM
Sodium intake is far less important than most people realize. Regardless of a high or low sodium intake, your body reacts to balance sodiums effects in the body. Only drastic upswings and downswings will result in a noticeable water weight change. So the key is to stay consistant at whatever your daily intake is, whether it be 1000 or 3000 mg.

Many bodybuilders eat high sodium diets in the offseason not because it makes them bloated and thicker, but because when they drastically cut their sodium before a contest, they'll lose a lot of water weight before their body has time to adjust.

To sum it all up, don't worry about how much sodium you consume, just worry about keeping it consistant from day to day.

01-07-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by gino
Sodium intake is far less important than most people realize. Regardless of a high or low sodium intake, your body reacts to balance sodiums effects in the body. Only drastic upswings and downswings will result in a noticeable water weight change. So the key is to stay consistant at whatever your daily intake is, whether it be 1000 or 3000 mg.

To sum it all up, don't worry about how much sodium you consume, just worry about keeping it consistant from day to day.

I don't know if I quite buy into that.. a diet without adding any extra salt, will probably still be at least 4-5g of sodium (all the carbs and dairy adds up quickly). Add a bunch of salt onto every meal you could be looking at, at least 7-10g of sodium total / day. Surely the body will retain more water on 7-10g of sodium than it will on 1-3g of sodium whether or not you are consistent with that level.