PDA

View Full Version : Another booboo?

rookiebldr
12-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Ah the joys of working out, anyone for a busted blood vessel?

briancurran01
12-09-2005, 12:59 PM
damn looks like that hurts

getfit
12-09-2005, 01:33 PM
oww, that looks painful, hope your ok Jeff

ElPietro
12-09-2005, 01:47 PM
Nice ass!

russ
12-09-2005, 01:57 PM
what were you going for when u did that?

getfit
12-09-2005, 02:01 PM
he was probably fighting over taco bell with pete :p

Patz
12-09-2005, 02:29 PM
i'm diggin the wrestling tights!

rookiebldr
12-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Actually it doesn't hurt at all now. I felt like I got banged on the hip over the weekend in Houston and was limping some, but it wasn't until after leg day I noticed this.

petey, thanks man, I never thought you cared. :)

Russ: Never noticed it until the next morning. Might have been the leg press. Would have been nice to say it was 1000lbs but nope, just 7pps.

mrelwooddowd: lol I knew you love those!

JeffWillConquer
12-09-2005, 05:24 PM
aww poor Jeff. Your leg looks quite big though. Random question while i'm in your thread.

Do you have the problem of people thinking it's funny to call you "jeffy" or "jeffrey" or anything related to but not quite "Jeff"? Hardly anyone calls me Jeff anymore, it sucks.

Anthony
12-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Faaaaawk ... that's disgusting. The bruise is gross too. :p

ElPietro
12-09-2005, 05:51 PM
You better hope it's just a bruise. That's a classic symptom of a torn muscle dood.

Hope it's alright though. If it doesn't hurt then it most likely isn't a tear though.

Sylvia, if he was fighting me over taco bell he wouldn't be in any condition to post!

rookiebldr
12-09-2005, 07:53 PM
aww poor Jeff. Your leg looks quite big though.

That was a good angle. ;)

Random question while i'm in your thread.

Do you have the problem of people thinking it's funny to call you "jeffy" or "jeffrey" or anything related to but not quite "Jeff"? Hardly anyone calls me Jeff anymore, it sucks.

I don't remember getting teased too much about it when I was growing up. More from this site and I know it's all in jest so it's great fun.

rookiebldr
12-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Faaaaawk ... that's disgusting. The bruise is gross too. :p

:hump: :hump:

rookiebldr
12-09-2005, 07:58 PM
You better hope it's just a bruise. That's a classic symptom of a torn muscle dood.

Hope it's alright though. If it doesn't hurt then it most likely isn't a tear though.

It hurt like hell on Friday, plus limping for two days but I never noticed the bruise until after leg day. Maybe I have a high tolerance for pain, since it's not overly painful at all. A little discomfort when I press hard to right of the bruise and a little higher up. Torn muscle and I would have thought it would be worse.

BCC
12-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Bruise looks ugly, but nice sweep and ham seperation.

f=ma
12-10-2005, 01:45 PM
damn bro i hope that improves for you soon

rookiebldr
12-10-2005, 08:08 PM
Bruise looks ugly, but nice sweep and ham seperation.

Thanks Chase, one would almost think I work those legs. :D

rookiebldr
12-10-2005, 08:09 PM
damn bro i hope that improves for you soon

Oh it will, since it's not bothering me i'll continue to work legs. And just see how it disappears over time.

Canadian Crippler
12-10-2005, 09:05 PM
This almost convinced me to start attending your sleepovers with Anthony.

Almost.

Beast
12-10-2005, 10:09 PM
Ummmm, Jeff's legs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mine

Stumprrp
12-11-2005, 05:40 AM
OWW!!!!!!!!!! your leg looks like mine cept, damn wicked short, how tall are you bro?

rookiebldr
12-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Cripper:pfft, you need to be invited first.

Beast: optics, my friend, optics.

Stumprrp: Looks like I'm the same height as you. 5' 7" 195lbs. I wish I was like pup with even shorter legs and a longer torso. :(

Shankerr
12-11-2005, 07:54 PM
men with scars are sexxyy.....

I'll just go with the same for men with bruises...

ericg
12-12-2005, 06:05 AM
Damn bro, almost looks like a tear. A bud of mine tore his quad in college and it bruised up just like that. Glad to hear that is not what it is.

Stumprrp
12-12-2005, 05:07 PM
cool man, i hope your injury gets better, im lookin to get down to about that range 190-195

rookiebldr
12-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Shane: I bet you will. :cool:

Eric: It's disappearing fast, however, there is a nice big baseball sized spot at the bottom, you can just pick it out in the picture that is all yellow and purple now. Leg day tomorrow so we shall see what happens.

Stumprrp: It's healing as we speak. I'd like to get to your weight! 220-230 would be sweet at my current bf that is. ;)

Kayo
12-13-2005, 05:11 PM
man i wish i got the pics of when i pulled my oblique i had bruising from my hip to a few inches under my arm pit

Stumprrp
12-13-2005, 05:15 PM
heh, of course, you dont wanna be at 22-23 like i am with a diesel stomach roll. =D

rookiebldr
12-13-2005, 08:13 PM
Kayo: I've had a few on my back/lats from deadlifts pulls. This is definitely my biggest though.

Stumprrp: I'll definitely be that fat if I could get to 217. hehehe I just don't gain a lot of fat on my legs or arms.

the doc
12-13-2005, 08:40 PM
While it is normal to occasionally "break" superficial blood vessels in the skin, it is not something that produces what you present.

Jeff I'd say with about 95% confidence that you have a torn vastus lateralis - heavily recruited during leg presses... could also be a torn tensor fasciae latea muscle also but much less likely. Tearing of the muscle releases a great deal of blood since it is usually done when the muscle is being engorged with blood as a result of strenuous activity, and muscle had a high degree of vascularity. Eventually the blood leaches out of the often torn thick fibrous covering of the muscle into the subcutanous areas producing the huge subdural hematoma which you see and we all look at and say "ewww, dats gross!"

you may experience significant swelling of your leg. if this is a problem you will need to see a physician very quickly as he will not be able to do much for the swelling once the clot sets in.

generally speaking for a minor muscle tear (which if you can walk then it is likely minor)
6-12 weeks depending on the degree of tearing
rehab
2 weeks - no squats, deads, leg press .. any quad movements other than walking. Ice packs, heating pads, NSAIDs, leg elevation to reduce swelling
after 2 weeks, gradually resume leg lifting activity, work up very slowly over 8-10 weeks to your old working weight.

if you try and lift heavy to fast you will get poor healing and will get scar tissue instead of new muscle fiber growth... very bad for lifters.

TTT
12-14-2005, 03:24 PM
Good luck with it, Jeff. That's impressive :)

rookiebldr
12-16-2005, 02:03 PM
While it is normal to occasionally "break" superficial blood vessels in the skin, it is not something that produces what you present.

Jeff I'd say with about 95% confidence that you have a torn vastus lateralis - heavily recruited during leg presses... could also be a torn tensor fasciae latea muscle also but much less likely. Tearing of the muscle releases a great deal of blood since it is usually done when the muscle is being engorged with blood as a result of strenuous activity, and muscle had a high degree of vascularity. Eventually the blood leaches out of the often torn thick fibrous covering of the muscle into the subcutanous areas producing the huge subdural hematoma which you see and we all look at and say "ewww, dats gross!"

you may experience significant swelling of your leg. if this is a problem you will need to see a physician very quickly as he will not be able to do much for the swelling once the clot sets in.

generally speaking for a minor muscle tear (which if you can walk then it is likely minor)
6-12 weeks depending on the degree of tearing
rehab
2 weeks - no squats, deads, leg press .. any quad movements other than walking. Ice packs, heating pads, NSAIDs, leg elevation to reduce swelling
after 2 weeks, gradually resume leg lifting activity, work up very slowly over 8-10 weeks to your old working weight.

if you try and lift heavy to fast you will get poor healing and will get scar tissue instead of new muscle fiber growth... very bad for lifters.

Doc,

Thanks for the info. I sent you a PM further describing some the injury, please get a chance to read it. Unfortunately, I didn't read this before my Wednesday Leg workout which I did my usual except leg presses. I received no further swelling or bruising and no pain. There is some soreness but very minor and all the upper bruising has disappeared.

I will however, take you information to heart just to be on the safe side and reduce the leg workouts for the time period.

rookiebldr
12-16-2005, 02:04 PM
Good luck with it, Jeff. That's impressive :)

Thanks, I don't know about impressive anymore, the Doc kinda scared me.

Relentless
12-16-2005, 02:14 PM
typical meathead, trying to work through injury :D

I did the same thing with my separated shoulder and it set me back a coupla weeks

the weird thing about working through injury is that often it'll feel just FINE when you're lifting but all the damage is essentially un-doing the healing you've accomplished to that point so you don't get worse but you don't get better as quickly and have more chance of scarring/debilitation

rookiebldr
12-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Yup. The last two injuries (shoulder, then lat) , I really felt the strain and the soreness and knew I couldn't lift. I couldn't even lift my arm up let alone with any weight. So I did lay off. This one with much larger hematoma feels much different. I squated with 225 (my usual) this week, leg extensions with the stack again. Didn't really feel any different.

But I will lay off now and become that curl jockey I really wanted to be anyway.