PDA

View Full Version : snacks with ease comparable to canned tuna?

PoutineEh
12-09-2005, 05:50 PM
i live in a dorm and have no way to cook anything (except a microwave...).

is there anything that i can just open and eat without cooking that is high in protein, ie like tuna and cottage cheese? im trying to cut so i want to be able to get in more protein without the calories from fat and carbs. if it involves anything more than ripping a top off and throwing it in the microwave for 30 seconds, i probably wouldnt do it. suggestions?

Built
12-09-2005, 05:52 PM
Tuna mixed into cottage cheese?

PoutineEh
12-09-2005, 06:09 PM
lol hmm. alright we have 3 now. anymore?

RSB
12-09-2005, 06:12 PM
they sell chicken in a can, it is just like tuna in a can but it comes in a bigger can. and it taste pretty good to.

Unreal
12-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Beef Jerkey. Whey. Milk. All other canned seafood such as canned salmon, sardines, kippers, crab, shrip, etc.

Davidelmo
12-10-2005, 04:19 AM
Mix up a huge blender full of peanut butter, oats, whey and milk at the start of the day.

Put it in a jug in the fridge.

Have a few serving throughout the day. It takes 5 mins of effort to have a whole days supply ready.

PoutineEh
12-10-2005, 10:12 AM
alright good. thanks much

anasthetic
12-10-2005, 12:55 PM
If you don't mind soy protein or eating card board, there is a good cereal called "Hi-Lo" which is very low in carbs and high in protein. It's got tons of fiber in it too. It makes for very portable protein.

Optimum08
12-10-2005, 11:25 PM
you could possibly make your own protein bars...or just buy some in your case...very portable good source of protein plus carbs etc.

Built
12-11-2005, 12:46 AM
Most commercially available protein bars have crap in 'em that you might not know is in there (they're notorious for it), and are really, REALLY expensive for what you're getting.

The homemade variety are often made with natty PB and oats - which is fine, but not so great if you're looking for a low carb, low fat protein fix.

Dare I say this - how about nitrean? The protein in it is slower than just whey.

Or you could make instant lowfat pudding with a whey shake instead of milk?

maverick
12-11-2005, 02:34 AM
Or you could make instant lowfat pudding with a whey shake instead of milk?

put it in smaller containers with popsicle sticks in them for summer treats, or whenever. :cool:

tigo
12-11-2005, 04:11 AM
jerky.. hard boiled eggs can keep for a little bit in yer bag.. just buy a small icepack and put it in the container.. peanuts

HILL
12-11-2005, 10:02 AM
i make my own protein bars and love em check the recipe forum

KingWilder
12-11-2005, 12:06 PM
beans

PoutineEh
12-11-2005, 09:48 PM
i can probably take some hard boiled eggs from the cafeteria and snack on some egg whites and the occasional yolk.
good idea on the pudding thing. i used to do that back home. 1 chocolate jello pudding with splenda was ~60 cals and i would mix in a scoop of protein. forgot about that one since ive been away at college.
i love beef jerky, but i thought it was kind of bad for you (not sure why). if it isnt, im goign to stock up.
and for all the other suggestions, thanks, ill probably try all of them because the only thing i have in my dorm room at the moment is protein powders, peanut butter, and bread. im going to stock up when i go back home in a week

ShadyRensch
12-12-2005, 12:21 AM
there is a good cereal called "Hi-Lo" which is very low in carbs and high in protein

THis stuff is by far the best cereal I've eaten that isn't bad for you. I eat 1.5 cups every morning for breakfast and that's 36 quick grams of protein. The kinds I have are Maple Nut and Vanilla Almond. Both are really good.

Unreal
12-12-2005, 07:05 AM
Jerky is high in sodium. The only reason it would be bad is if you are on a low sodium diet. Sodium is good for muscle, so unless you have high blood pressure and a doctor tells you to stay away, nothing wrong with beef jerkey and sodium IMO.