PDA

View Full Version : getnripd's turning point in training!

getnripd
12-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Hey guys,
Well I've convinced myself that I've reached a turning point, and I really think keeping a journal will keep me motivated and give me access to your critiques.

About a month ago, I was talking to my brother, and he opened up my eyes: my routine (or lack of) was junk. I was still doing upper body monday, lower body tuesday, and upper body again wednesday. Looking back, I want to slap myself for that. I guess I just went on cruise control or something and expected to make gains and get results.

Here is my new routine that I've been on for 3 weeks now. Im really liking it alot better. On leg day I'm leaving the gym feeling like my legs can't go one more step. I love it.

day 1 chest / triceps

flat bench press warm-up set- 3 x 8
incline bench 45s on each side 3 x 8
flat dumbbell press 60s 3 x 8
flys 40s 3 x 8

skull crushers 3 x8
close grip bench 25s
tricep pull downs 3 x 8

day 2 leg day

leg press 3 x 8
leg extensions - 3 x 8
hamstring curl 3 x 8
calf raises 3 x 8

day 3 HIIT / abs

day 4 shoulders

overhead dumbbell press 3 x 8
lateral dumbbell raise 3 x 8 1 arm at a time
leaning over dumbbell raise 3 x 8
shrugs with dumbbells and flat bench
HIIT / abs

day 5 back and biceps

bent over rows 3 x 8
lat pull down machine 3 x 8
row machine 3 x 8
Close-Grip Front Lat Pulldown
bent over dumbbell rows

preacher curls 3 x 8
bicep curls 3 x 8
* running the rack sometimes

In the past 2-3 weeks though, my motivation has gotten a little sidetracked cuz im worried about getting fat and bloated. Nov 10, I was 193, Today, Dec 10, im 205. My bodyfat has gone up from 15% to 16.7%. That means for gaining 12 lbs, I only gained about 3 lbs of fat. Im just wondering is there any way to gain lean body mass/muscle without getting all chubby? Should I try a clean bulk, or is it possible to gain muscle while eating maintenance. I used to be 231 lbs, and I remember how bad i felt, so when i see the scales going up, i'm just like sh*t,here goes all my hard work. I guess i need to stop focusing on the scales and look more in the mirror. My goal is to pack on muscle for the next 4 months or so, and then cut down for the summer. I'd be really happy if I got my abs showing for the summer. Do you guys think this routine is good for what I'm going for?

Should I up the cardio?? Should I forget about the fat I already have on me, and just worry about adding muscle. I guess my mindset now is, OK, you'll get a little bloated for the winter, but next summer, you'll be ripped and it will all pay off..

I have all the motivation in the world to getting in the car and driving to the gym, but I just wanna make sure I'm not wasting my time and making gains

I also ruled out cutting now because I don't think I have enough muscle mass for it to make sense. Right now Im 6'1" 205 with 16.7% BF. I'd like to be at a cut up 189lbs for a vacation in April, or maybe even better.

I really like hearing from you guys cuz you have great information. Last time I posted you guys were really helpful in congratulating my fat loss. Now it's time for me to pack on the muscle.

Thanks in advance
Matt

Ill post pics in like 5 min, I have to resize them and everything

getnripd
12-10-2005, 11:42 AM
here are some pics from last week. Im open to all comments/critiques/criticism
thanks
these pics i believe were at 203lbs

getnripd
12-12-2005, 02:39 PM
Great day at the gym today. I've been taking in alot of calories and I have gotten alot better about what i put into my mouth. Everything that goes in my mouth serves a purpose, I don't eat for fun anymore.

I was really dialed in today and I had a couple of personal records. My bench is usually 185 for 3 sets of 8 with a spotter, and im usually dying by the 7th rep. Today, no spotter, it barely even phased me. I do use no-xplode frequently; i know that most of it is psychological. (i bought a tub and decided it was a waste of money, but I'll use it til its gone.)

workout today: chest and tris

flat bench press warm-up set- 3 x 8 145x8 185x8x3
incline bench DB 3 x 8 50x8, 55x8 60x8
flat dumbbell press DB 3 x 8, 55x8, 60x8, 65x8
flys 40s 3 x 8 DB's 40x8 45x8 45x8

skull crushers 3 x8, 40x8, 45x8, 45x8
close grip bench 95x8, 115x8, 115x8
tricep pull downs 3 x 8 110x8, 120 x8 I was completely exhausted at this point.
I had trouble tucking in my shirt in the back after, I felt like i was 80 years old i could barely use my tris.

all in all i left the gym very happy. i felt all pumped up. tomorrow is leg day. gotta get psyched up.

Current supplements: Multi vitamin, Creatine, Whey protein

please give any critiques/comments/criticism about pics/ rountine and everything.
later,
Matt