PDA

View Full Version : New back pic. Trying to beef up my lats.

Revsta
12-12-2005, 03:29 PM
http://server2.ihostphotos.com/imgt/37404.jpg (http://server2.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=37404)

Still 6'4 a tad under 170.

I am clean and pressing 40's with a bit of difficulty, not too bad. Lat pull down 100, not too great on chins, but I'm working on it. I think my delts are all right but I still need to fill out my lats. Got any great lat beefing exercises?

UPDATES as OF Christmas:

http://www.ihostphotos.com/imgt/235588.jpg (http://www.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=235588)
http://www.ihostphotos.com/imgt/235589.jpg (http://www.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=235589)

Lat pulling like 120 now and able to hold it when I come down. Makin a bit of progress I think.

ROMANMAN
12-12-2005, 03:30 PM
Do a massive bulk and lots of chins and rows.

Canadian Crippler
12-12-2005, 03:34 PM
You look similar to how I used to a little less than a year ago. Eat up, that back has lots of potential.

Revsta
Do a massive bulk and lots of chins and rows.
Would it be over the top to do chinups on my off day? I do every other day full body routine, would it be too much on my back to do chins on my off day?

pinky8713
Yeah, chins and rows. I think the most important part for you would be eating insanely though.

getfit
12-12-2005, 03:35 PM
you've got a good base to work on, eat,row,deadlift,pullups/chins

Canadian Crippler
12-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Would it be over the top to do chinups on my off day? I do every other day full body routine, would it be too much on my back to do chins on my off day?What are you doing for your back on your full body day?

Revsta
12-12-2005, 04:05 PM
What are you doing for your back on your full body day?

My routine:

Clean and Press
Squats
Pullovers
Bench
Good Mornings
Curls

I've added chinups and lat pulldowns.

briancurran01
12-12-2005, 04:08 PM
add deadlifts for your back and some type of rows

Canadian Crippler
12-12-2005, 04:35 PM
My routine:

Clean and Press
Squats
Pullovers
Bench
Good Mornings
Curls

I've added chinups and lat pulldowns.Yeah, so take out the curls and put in chins. That should be fine, no need to do more on your off days.

ROMANMAN
12-12-2005, 06:03 PM
Why dont you just do a 4 day split with a specialized back day.

Sidior
12-12-2005, 06:30 PM
revsta, do you post anywhere other than in your own picture threads?

Revsta
12-12-2005, 06:43 PM
revsta, do you post anywhere other than in your own picture threads?
I made a thread asking for critique on my progress from september to october, but it got deleted or something cause I can't find it.

jkirkpatrick
12-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Still thin dude. Eat.

Revsta
12-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Still thin dude. Eat.
Thins good for me :ninja:

Canadian Crippler
12-12-2005, 08:09 PM
Lean is good. Thin is not.

RickTheDestroyer
12-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Lean is good. Thin is not.

Exactly. Not to mention those lats aren't going to magically build themselves out of Bruce Lee worship and pixie dust. Like it or not, you're going to have to start eating.

Revsta
12-12-2005, 10:02 PM
Exactly. Not to mention those lats aren't going to magically build themselves out of Bruce Lee worship and pixie dust. Like it or not, you're going to have to start eating.
I do eat, I just need to work on back more. And there's no need to get vicious. I bust my ass to stay in shape and just becuase my goals for fitness aren't the same as yours doesn't mean you have to bash me.

Built
12-12-2005, 10:03 PM
No.

You have to eat more and continue to work on your back.

Kayo
12-12-2005, 10:21 PM
No.

and god has spoken

Hockey66
12-12-2005, 10:38 PM
No.

:withstupi

You're trying to build a house with no wood. Getting more hammers and nails isn't going to do any good.

Built
12-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Revsta, you think being told to eat more is being bashed on?

Hang out at our family's Christmas dinner. You'll never complain about being picked on again.

Revsta
12-13-2005, 12:24 AM

Hang out at our family's Christmas dinner. You'll never complain about being picked on again.

No, I don't at all. I've been told to eat more my entire life as no one understands how fast my metabolism is. I understand that eating + lifting = more bulk, but I'm also telling you that I don't feel I am exercising my back enough, as I was asking for more back exercises to help my lats fill out.

I am happy with the progress I am making in terms of strength and mass, and am definitely eating enough. The things I was saying I didn't enjoy being bashed on was someone telling me Bruce Lee worshipping and pixie dust won't make my lats fill out. I work out hard and pay a heavy attention to my diet and I don't need people telling me that I can wish my muscles larger, it's just not respectful. All I wanted was advice on how to fill out my lats more.

Canadian Crippler
12-13-2005, 06:16 AM
All I wanted was advice on how to fill out my lats more...........Eat. :cool:

Seriously though, the routine looks fine. As I said, take out the curls and throw in the chins. You'll be fine.

galileo
12-13-2005, 06:25 AM
How is it not apparent that in order to grow any muscle larger, you need to gain weight? If you understand this concept, it's not offensive to be told to eat more.

Canadian Crippler
12-13-2005, 06:30 AM
but brooc lee iz s0 hyoooOOge n he dun eet!!!!11

Anthony
12-13-2005, 06:55 AM
How is it not apparent that in order to grow any muscle larger, you need to gain weight? If you understand this concept, it's not offensive to be told to eat more.

:withstupi

RickTheDestroyer
12-13-2005, 07:01 AM
but brooc lee iz s0 hyoooOOge n he dun eet!!!!11
...not anymore, anyway! OH!

Seriously dude, I wasn't trying to rag on you, but I see kids busting their asses with training and not getting the results they want because they aren't giving their bodies enough calories to build more muscle. Period. It's really common for kids to think that the problem is that they aren't training enough, but they'll cringe at the thought of eating more.

Do what Crippy said about ditching the curls for chins, and eat more. Doing chins will make the lat pulldowns unnecessary. Everyone who's naturally very lean thinks that their metabolism is the highest in the world. If you want to get bigger then you need to show the same dedication to eating that you have to training.

deeder
12-13-2005, 07:16 AM
Everyone who's naturally very lean thinks that their metabolism is the highest in the world. If you want to get bigger then you need to show the same dedication to eating that you have to training.

:withstupi :withstupi :withstupi :withstupi :withstupi :withstupi :withstupi :withstupi :withstupi :withstupi :withstupi :withstupi :withstupi :withstupi

Clifford Gillmore
12-13-2005, 07:25 AM
Gain 80lbs.

Hockey66
12-13-2005, 09:00 AM
Everyone who's naturally very lean thinks that their metabolism is the highest in the world. If you want to get bigger then you need to show the same dedication to eating that you have to training.

Exactly. Try tracking your calories for a day Revsta, I've had many friends with high metabolisms that "can't gain weight", turn's out they were eating like 2500 calories a day. Find how much you're eating with fitday, if you're not gaining weight bump it up 500 cals, if you still don't gain, bump it up another 500, continue doing this until muscles appear.

Revsta
12-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Ugh. I wish you'd all just understand I'm seeing the results I want, just not in my lats, and I think it's due to my workout routine, not my diet.

jkirkpatrick
12-13-2005, 11:32 AM
There comes a point in time when concession to the general census should be made.

Or not.

Anthony
12-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Ugh. I wish you'd all just understand I'm seeing the results I want, just not in my lats, and I think it's due to my workout routine, not my diet.

not too great on chins

You already answered your own question. More chins. More rows. But the truth of the matter is that if you're not in a calorie surplus, you'll probably have a hard time making noticeable size gains - especially at your body fat level.

RickTheDestroyer
12-13-2005, 12:01 PM
:bang:

Revsta
12-26-2005, 08:53 PM
updated pics. only a month of progress really but I think I am filling out my back finally.

Unreal
12-26-2005, 09:40 PM
And just think of how much faster and nicer it would fill out if you listened to the above advice.

Whats the point in asking if you won't listen to the advice given? Want bigger lats? Chins, rows, food.

Patz
12-26-2005, 09:42 PM
ROFL...the pics are posted 2 weeks apart!

Awesome progress!!

Revsta
12-26-2005, 10:03 PM
ROFL...the pics are posted 2 weeks apart!

Awesome progress!!

Do you really think I've made some progress, cause I do, or are you just makin fun of me?

Clifford Gillmore
12-27-2005, 04:39 AM
No no no no, he is definately taking the p*ss :zipit:.

On a serious note, how about starting a journal to keep track of your progress and workouts? A definitive way to check your progress.

RickTheDestroyer
12-27-2005, 08:17 AM
I hate to break this to you dude, but I think I've seen at least as much lat growth as you have in the last month, and I took 15 days off because I had to let a cut on my palm heal.
However, I think I may see some improvement in the area right below your delts ( but above your lats), but that may just be the lighting.
The question is: are you heavier? If you're not, then you can be pretty damn sure you haven't added any meat to your back.

Revsta
12-27-2005, 10:58 AM
I do keep a journal. My lat pulldown has gone up from the first pick of 87.5 to the new pic of 120, and I can do about 3 sets of 8 pullups now. Bent over rowing like 55 which was easy so I have to go up on that. And it's hard to say if I'm heavier or not, because while this full body workout gains me muscle mass, I also burn a **** ton of calories and lose weight as well, so I don't know, but I'm definitely larger.

Revsta
12-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Personally I think the middle of my back has grown larger and right above my waist has started to flare out more than the first pic.

RickTheDestroyer
12-27-2005, 11:43 AM
I do keep a journal. My lat pulldown has gone up from the first pick of 87.5 to the new pic of 120, and I can do about 3 sets of 8 pullups now. Bent over rowing like 55 which was easy so I have to go up on that. And it's hard to say if I'm heavier or not, because while this full body workout gains me muscle mass, I also burn a **** ton of calories and lose weight as well, so I don't know, but I'm definitely larger.

Progress with the weights is good. However, unless you're leaner than you were (which does not appear to be the case, although the lighting is different so I could be mistaken), you're not going to be larger if you're not heavier. If you're burning more calories than you're taking in (enough to lose weight) then you're almost definitely not adding mass, and if you're adding mass, then you're not also losing weight.
The last two of these statements could be false if you're just starting out with weight training, or are "assisted".

Focused70
12-27-2005, 11:57 AM

Can you invite me next year?

I promise to eat up a storm. :D

Revsta
12-27-2005, 12:42 PM
Progress with the weights is good. However, unless you're leaner than you were (which does not appear to be the case, although the lighting is different so I could be mistaken), you're not going to be larger if you're not heavier. If you're burning more calories than you're taking in (enough to lose weight) then you're almost definitely not adding mass, and if you're adding mass, then you're not also losing weight.
The last two of these statements could be false if you're just starting out with weight training, or are "assisted".'

Well I used to do weight training every day and isolate a muscle group a day. You know, cheast and triceps day, back and biceps day, etc. But I switched to this every other day full body workout, and although I was already quite lean 6'4 170, I have trimmed out my waist and still gained visible mass and noticeable strength (ie. my lifts have basically doubled if not more) in about 3 months. My waist has shed about an inch or two from 32 and I'm somehow leaner than I used to be, which is crazy, but people have remarked on how much larger I am. It's a pretty awesome workout, and yes I am eating tons :)

-TIM-
12-27-2005, 01:15 PM
..........Eat. :cool:

Seriously though, the routine looks fine. As I said, take out the curls and throw in the chins. You'll be fine.Great advice. I would do both chins and rows. Both of these are going to work your bis as well, so you don't have to worry about teh gunz not getting any lovin'.

Patz
12-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Do you really think I've made some progress, cause I do, or are you just makin fun of me?

I was making fun..

You aren't gonna see anything in pics taken two weeks apart. Strength gains are one thing, but those are probably just because you're getting accustomed to the movements.

If you're losing weight, you're not gaining muscle mass. Beign able to do that is a RARE genetic feat, and someone at your bodyfat level is not capable of such a feat.

Eat more..workout..sleep...

Take new pics in 6 months.

Davidelmo
12-27-2005, 02:17 PM
Dont worry mate, you look fine.

You have been given the exercises to develop your back in the way you want.

Now it's up to you to carry them out.