PDA

View Full Version : **To everyone out there... i need help...**

Tim Herremans
01-06-2002, 05:06 AM
:cry: I have been overweight my whole entire life since I was like 6 years old!

I can't take it anymore! I am 16 years old and I weigh 260lbs.

I gained 30lbs over the summer and I am just fed up with my life about my overweightness. I think im actually depressed! Man this sux so bad.

I have a membership to Fitness USA, but I need a diet to actually lose the weight. I need help guys/girls really bad, im calling out to you PLEASE HELP ME!

I seem to lose hope in getting thin, it sucks I can't talk about it really because im so pissed at my self! please help me, I need a diet plan to help me lose my weight.

weight: 260
height: 5"10

thank you so much

Tim Herremans
01-06-2002, 05:25 AM
if you can, please help, im sad

Wizard
01-06-2002, 05:53 AM
I'll send you a pm m8.Don't worry.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-06-2002, 07:28 AM
have you been to the doctors?

normally they give you the food pyramid diagram and set you off packing, but they can tell you whether you're considered 'healthy' enough for certain diets.

therhoads
01-06-2002, 07:38 AM
Tim,

Don't give up!!! Take a look at the posts by Celestial in this forum. She was HUGE at one time but has now got things manageable and looks great! She includes pics in her posts so you can see the results. If she can do it, so can you! it just takes dedication. GET MAD! Tell yourself you are going to do it!

I know how it can be as well. I balooned up 40 pounds when I was in college drinking beer and eating pizza. It feels like you can never get it off. But what I found out is that you can! It just takes discipline and hard work. However, the rewards are awesome!

If I were you, I would go on a low carb diet. This means cut out the bread, cereal, patatoes, etc... You can eat all the bacon, cheese, hamburger, eggs, etc... you want but leave out anything with carbs. Be careful, a lot of foods are high in carbs and you don't even know it. Check out this link for an outline of how to do this diet...http://www.hbstores.com/Ketogenicdieting.htm also look into the Adkins diet plan which is very similar. You can usually loose between 10 and 30 punds per month on it.

If you are unsure of how many carbs a food has, check out this site... http://www.nat.uiuc.edu/mainnat.html

If you go low carb and still workout, the pounds will come off. Your energy may feel low at first (due to low carbs) but your body will adjust.

Also, start a journal here so we can help you track your progress. It helps to have a cheering section when trying to accomplish your goals!

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-06-2002, 08:05 AM
this is precisely the reason why i asked hm if he had visited the doctor.

Wizard
01-06-2002, 10:05 AM
Although I believe that low carb diets are not to be followed by beginners,people with a high percentage of bodyfat can have more success on a low carb diet.(it's an hormonal issue)

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-06-2002, 10:25 AM
I agree, but to manage to get to 260lbs during adolesence is quite a 'feat' and before starting any kind of specific diet he should get checked out by his doctor.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-06-2002, 10:26 AM
btw, the reason i say it's a feat is cause yong age usually = high metabolism, hence why most kids can eat lots of junk food and stay relatively slim.

Wizard
01-06-2002, 10:42 AM
That's right.You may cause severe problems to yourself.(diabetes,insulin resistance etc) Every suggestion you get here is based on the fact that you are healthy.

Tryska
01-06-2002, 11:06 AM
i understand what chigs is getting at. (intimately, as a matter of fact).

like he said, definitely talk to a doctor first. i would even suggest getting some bloodwork done. thyroid panel, cholesterol, and diabetes screening. Once you have results from that, it will be easier to figure out what type of diet will best help you get to where you wanna be.

let me ask you something.....do you know why you've gotten heavy? do you have a sedentary lifestyle? have you been eating mountains of crap? did your parents feed you bad food? or are you one of those people that doesn't eat much, but still manages to gain weight?

my first piece of advice to you is to get moving. start walking each day. start a lifting routine.

you can also start cleaning up your diet a little bit. don't worry about macronutrtients just yet. but start picking cleaner foods. instead of a cheeseburger from mcdonalds, get a tuna sub from subway......eat some more salads. skip the chips. stop drinking soda and start drinking water. once you've got results from your bloodwork, and a clear pass from the doctor, we can work on a more detailed plan.

therhoads
01-06-2002, 11:12 AM
Tuna Sub from Subway? Oh yeah, like Jarod! :)

Yes Tim they are right, definitely see a doctor...

TreeTrunks
01-06-2002, 11:20 AM
Hey tim don't sweat it man. I like yourself have been a rather hefty kid since about 6th grade. I finally decided to do something about it 2 years ago and now I actually catch girls looking at me, and not in a 'oh my god look at the freak' kinda way either. anyways enough of me. Losing weight is a simple principe of thermodynamics, energy out must be greater than energy in. Its that simple burn more energy than you consume. Eat lots of protein. Drop the red meat eat lots of chicken (grilled or baked), tuna and salmon (foods rich in omega-3's). Eat less carbs. Go by a bookstore and pick up a most excellent book called "Bodybuilding: A scientific approach" By Dr. Fred Hatfield. It is the most comprehensive bodybuilding book i've seen. Theres another book called "sliced" not sure who the author is but I've heard it is another good book. In 4 months with some intense work you'll cut some fat. I hope I've helped.

Tim Herremans
01-06-2002, 02:46 PM
what if i took the atkins diet, worked out 3 times a week, and take hydroxy cut?

the doc
01-06-2002, 02:51 PM
go to the doctor first and before adkins diet
workout if you can but no hydroxycut. you dont need that for your goals and your body will thank you.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-06-2002, 02:52 PM
as will your wallet.

Cims
01-06-2002, 03:11 PM
:thumbup:

this is me on my new name, but anyway do you think it would help if i got pics? i mean in the mirror i dont look 260 pounds to my self, ive seen people that say they weight like 300 and they look huge compared to me.. i actuallly went on this diet were i ate grapefruit, a plan that did the same everyday and i lost 25 lbs, i weight 190, i was so happy then when i went off like i gained it back in a few days. and it never stoped

im the only one in my family that is overweight, one of my brothers is a small guy then other is about 5"11 and kinda stocky build person. im so happy that you are actually replying because this means a lot to me. well most of you said it first.. i need to go to the doctors, it will suck but if it will help me get a diet plan, ill do it!

Cims
01-06-2002, 05:51 PM
why would i have diebeties? im scared now.. thanks

Tryska
01-06-2002, 06:22 PM
syndrome x metabolic disorders. by being obese for a long period of time you increase your risk of type II diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and other issues.

Cims
01-06-2002, 06:49 PM
okay guys, where can i pick up the atkins diet? i heard its just dont eat carbs but you get like 8carbs a day? hmm not sure, do i need to buy the diet book thing?

Tryska
01-06-2002, 06:52 PM
okay which part of consult your doctor first, didn't you understand?

Maki Riddington
01-06-2002, 07:31 PM
I would strongly suggest you take heed to Cd's and Tryskas advice.
SEE YOUR DOC FIRST.

Cims
01-06-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
okay which part of consult your doctor first, didn't you understand?

:( you don't have to be such an ass about it

Tryska
01-07-2002, 04:43 AM
*lol*

hey man....if you got people repeatedly saying go see a doctor, and you say okay i'll go see a doctor, but how do i do this diet, sometimes being an ass is the only way to get your attention. ;)

Paul Stagg
01-07-2002, 02:16 PM
It usually works for me :)

16 is too young to

a) be obese
b) attempt a severe diet (Atkins is a severe diet)
c) mess with thermogenics

Go see your doctor. Take a look at your lifestyle - are you overeating? Are you sedentary?

You don't need a quick fix, you need to figure out what is happening, and make changes to improve your body composition.

Cackerot69
01-07-2002, 02:31 PM
Is not, Paul :)

Well I'm glad you're not one of those fat people that complian about how fat they are and are treated badly and just sit there like fat people.

Listen to Tryska and company.

ericg
01-07-2002, 02:36 PM
Diet is the wrong word....looking for a lifestyle change here....FOR LIFE.

Do like they say and see a Doctor, you didnt get like you are in 3 months, so dont expect to be at 10% bodyfat in 3 months. You can do it; it just takes consistency, time, and loads of patience.

Cims
01-07-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Cackerot69
Is not, Paul :)

Well I'm glad you're not one of those fat people that complian about how fat they are and are treated badly and just sit there like fat people.

Listen to Tryska and company.

I don't get treated badly at all, im popular in school, it's mainly about getting a decent girlfriend and just feeling good about my self.

Cims
01-07-2002, 06:02 PM
what if I don't go to the doctor? I feel really stupid... what doctor? a nutrional doctor or just my doctor that I go if im sick etc.

Tryska
01-07-2002, 06:23 PM
your general practitioner is a good place to start. i'm not gonna provide an answer to the first question tho. ;)

Cims
01-07-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
your general practitioner is a good place to start. i'm not gonna provide an answer to the first question tho. ;)

why not? what if i just do the atkins diet and work out and take hydroxycut

TreeTrunks
01-07-2002, 08:42 PM
it's mainly about getting a decent girlfriend Don't we all wish for that :cry:

Tryska
01-08-2002, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by Cims

why not? what if i just do the atkins diet and work out and take hydroxycut

you might wind up having a stroke.

that choice is yours, however, if you do have a stroke, and we get one step closer to an FDA ban on ephedra because of your irresponsible actions, i will be highly pissed.

Joe Black
01-08-2002, 05:06 AM
Hey Cims are you time hereman? why the change in name?

you have been given great advice now all you gotta do is follow it.

don't you see that people do not want to go into depth with suggestions untill you have seen a doctor. 260 lb's at 16 is extrememely uncommon and could mean mroe than just low activity and eating bad. There could be another medical problem why this is happening. So please for the LAST time GO AND SEE A DOCTOR!!!!!

As for atkin diets, I think it may be ok for you to lose weight but you should look to build a more solid and long term goal than that diet. most people will not be able to hold down a diet like the atkins long term and end of putting weight back on after it.

OK can you give me this.

1.)outline your daily eating habits.

2)outline your activity habits.

Cims
01-08-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Hulk
Hey Cims are you time hereman? why the change in name?

you have been given great advice now all you gotta do is follow it.

don't you see that people do not want to go into depth with suggestions untill you have seen a doctor. 260 lb's at 16 is extrememely uncommon and could mean mroe than just low activity and eating bad. There could be another medical problem why this is happening. So please for the LAST time GO AND SEE A DOCTOR!!!!!

As for atkin diets, I think it may be ok for you to lose weight but you should look to build a more solid and long term goal than that diet. most people will not be able to hold down a diet like the atkins long term and end of putting weight back on after it.

OK can you give me this.

1.)outline your daily eating habits.

2)outline your activity habits.

i wake up and go to school (i tend to get low amounts of sleep.. 4-6 hours)

i eat lunch at school.. a pita rap and powerade with chips

then i come home from school, have a snack, like a hot pocket or sandwhich or something like that, maybe a cup of cereal with milk in it

then i eat dinner at like 6-8pm

then i tend to do bad stuff and have a snack at like 11pm-12am like chips, sandwich, ceral, something like that.

i dont have any actviity besides going to school and being on the computer, i go 3 times a week to a place called fitness USA, i went for a few weeks then stoped well my dad did to not reason he had a foot problem and so we stoped for awhile and havent gone back yet, this was about 2 months ago, BUT i will tell him i want to go back now and he will get back going with me. hes not fat he just wants to tone out and get in shape more. i usually ride bike and stuff there and other exercises.

Cims
01-08-2002, 03:34 PM
i gained tons of weight over the summer from being on the computer and being home, i would eat a lot and sit on the computer, it's sad because i gained like 35 lbs and i never really noticed it till my pants wernt buttoning... :(

Cackerot69
01-08-2002, 05:58 PM
So what do you think is causing your fatness?

Taras
01-08-2002, 08:38 PM
Cims,

I think people have given you good advice. I agree with going to see your dr . You probably don't have a serious medical problem, but you are at risk for so-called adult-onset diabetes. Until recently, it wasn't thought that teens could develop this problem, but there is such a large epidemic of teenage obesity in the US that adult-onset diabetes is becoming more and more common in teens. The good news is that it can usually be cured by getting rid of the excess fat. You can ask your dr for recommendations regarding a sensible weight loss diet, but most drs aren't very informed about this, so you might have to look elsewhere for good advice. Avoid fad diets like the grapefruit diet. They're unhealthy and as soon as you go off them you gain the weight back. I think the Atkin's diet is also a bad idea. What you need is a healthy balanced diet that provides fewer calories than you are expending. A few general principles are to avoid high fat junk food like candy, potato chips, cookies, donuts, etc., avoid greasy food in general, like fried chicken or deep fried anything, avoid soft drinks, except sugar free, switch from whole milk to skim milk, go easy on cheese, except for low fat cottage cheese, go easy on salad dressings unless they are low-fat, avoid high fat meat like hot dogs, baloney, bacon, etc. -- You get the general idea. Hopefully you can get your mother to help you out by buying and cooking more low fat food. You might want to look for a book that provides good advice about a healthy approach to weight loss. In spite of the goofy title, Dieting for Dummies is actually pretty good. One other piece of advice is that if you get back into a serious weight training program and want to maximize your chances of gaining muscle mass, you'll want to increase your protein beyond what most diet books recommend. Estimate what a healthy weight would be for you at this time (maybe around 170lbs -- just a guess) and aim for about 1 gram of protein per lb of healthy weight. Cut down on carbohydrates to make up for the extra protein.

Good luck, and don't get discouraged. You'l probably have some occasional setbacks, but losing 2lbs a week would probably be a reasonable goal.

Cims
01-08-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Cackerot69
So what do you think is causing your fatness?

i dont know, probaly bad eating and since my metalbolism has always been slow im guessing.. , it was getting trained year ago when i went on a diet but when i got off i gained the 20 lbs in a week or so, it was stupid.

Celestial
01-09-2002, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Cims

i gained the 20 lbs in a week or so, it was stupid. Is that even possible?:eek:

Jane
01-09-2002, 05:34 AM
I think you mentioned before that your earlier attempt at dieting had something to do with grapefruit...? In that case, most of the wieght you "lost" was water and thats how you got it back so quickly. The key is making lifestyle changes, not something you can do for only a few weeks.

Pup
01-09-2002, 04:45 PM
First, go to a doctor. Second, the atkins diet is extremely severe, not to mention that much of the food eaten on such a diet is very high in cholesterol and if you are already extremely heavy, this will not be a good thing later on in life. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and tell you what your options are if you don't go to a doctor, if you are gonna be foolish, you might as well have some direction. You'll need to begin counting calories, then you'll have to begin to eat below your bmr, and you will have to exercise. You will need to learn to eat clean, clean is no processed foods and no crap. An eating lifestyle such as this is extremely hard to maintain and would be very difficult to maintain for someone who is accustomed to eating potato chips and drinking sodas all the time. So, the best advice i can give you is to read the first sentence i wrote.

Cackerot69
01-09-2002, 04:49 PM
Oh yeah.

Cims
01-09-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by just_a_pup
First, go to a doctor. Second, the atkins diet is extremely severe, not to mention that much of the food eaten on such a diet is very high in cholesterol and if you are already extremely heavy, this will not be a good thing later on in life. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and tell you what your options are if you don't go to a doctor, if you are gonna be foolish, you might as well have some direction. You'll need to begin counting calories, then you'll have to begin to eat below your bmr, and you will have to exercise. You will need to learn to eat clean, clean is no processed foods and no crap. An eating lifestyle such as this is extremely hard to maintain and would be very difficult to maintain for someone who is accustomed to eating potato chips and drinking sodas all the time. So, the best advice i can give you is to read the first sentence i wrote.

oh okay, well why is it so severe? i thought you just dont eat food with carbohydrates. oh and is there a special doctor? or just a normal doctor that takes my blood and i went when i broke my leg when i was 11 etc.

JustinF
01-09-2002, 08:11 PM
Bro, just go see your main doctor, tell him what your plans are and that you wanted to get a checkup before you started. Easy as that..

Pup
01-10-2002, 06:06 AM
The reason its severe is this, if you are overweight, like you have said you are, your arteries probably aren't in that great of shape, you may already have high cholesterol, so if you start hammering down the bacon and many of the high cholesterol foods on the atkins diet, you are asking for trouble. You can just go to your regular doctor, and he/she will either help you or give you a referral to someone who can.