PDA

View Full Version : Advice for the last phase of a cut??

ShadyRensch
12-12-2005, 09:54 PM
I started my cut in late September and have seen a nice drop in fat. The only areas really left are my stomach, very bottom of my chest (very annoying by the way, any help on lifts to cut this would be great), and my waist a little bit. I weigh 190 pounds, and I'm 6'0''.

My Fitday consists of 1800 cals/day, and trying to get at least 180 g protein, and I've been lowering my carbs lately. My workout routines are Mon-Tue, Thurs-Friday. Mon and Thurs are Chest/Bi's/Tri's, and Tues and Friday are Lower body/back/shoulders. I do the exercise bike or elyptical for 20-25 minutes each day after I lift at a high speed. On Wednesday's I don't lift, but I do cardio for 45 min to an hour. I just got some Thermogenics, D4/Hot Rox and Man Scorch (Don't worry got them off ebay VERY cheap to test which I like best.)

I'm looking for any advice...up my running? Do it in the morning? Eat less calories? Also, I usually don't make sure I get my 180 g protein on Sat/Sun, is it crucial to get that? Anything to get this last bit of fat off, thanks!!

Built
12-12-2005, 10:08 PM
Okay, those cals are LOW! That's what I was cutting on!

How long have you been dieting this hard?

It sounds like you're doing a LOT of cardio. You tried any HIIT?

ShadyRensch
12-12-2005, 10:14 PM
I do a lot of cardio yes, I started off at about 2000 calories I think. I do what I think is HIIT, like when I'm on the bike I choose random so I'm doing low level, then it jumps to high, and I pedal faster and harder to keep the rpms up in the 90-100's. Yeah everyone tells me I have low cals, and I do a lot of cardio on the bike/elyptical/stair stepper. I also play basketball for a couple hours 2-3 times a week. I do have a cheat meal each weekend usually, but I figure I'm out ahead from my week, that's why it's so frustrating not to drop the fat off.

Built
12-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Well, my feeling is that you might be shooting yourself in the foot with all the cardio and the super low calories.

How long have you been dieting this way?

(oh, and what you're doing is intervals, but not HIIT)

ShadyRensch
12-12-2005, 10:30 PM
I've been dieting this way for prolly a good 1 1/2 to 2 months. What could I do to help myself, I had the mindset all this would be good....guess not.

Built
12-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Okay, well, you need a diet vacation. Take a couple of weeks at maintenance calories, enjoy the stronger workouts.

Then EITHER do something like UD2.0/PSMF, OR do a more moderate plan that will drop weight off you more slowly, but will let you keep some of your LBM.

ShadyRensch
12-12-2005, 11:30 PM
UD2.0/PSMF?
sorry, not sure what that is

Shark
12-13-2005, 12:00 AM
Search function.

ShockBoxer
12-13-2005, 07:49 AM
I'm loving my maintenance 'vacation' :)

Increased my lifts more in the past two weeks than I have in the past two months thanks to food... oh glorious food!

Your calories probably ARE too low. I'm nowhere near that active and I'm currently maintaining on 2400 (actually, I think I'm recomposing at 2400. Lifts are going up, and body fat still seems to be melting off my beer belly). When I cut again it will be on 2000 to 2100 probably... and I'm 8 inches shorter and nearly 30 lb lighter.

Unreal
12-13-2005, 07:56 AM
And realize the last bit is a long slow process. When I was fast 300+lbs, losing weight was cake. I could drop 2-4lbs a week without an issue. Now that I'm fairly lean, I find its alot harder. Now if after 4-5 days of low cals, I start to feel cranky, lathargic, my work outs suck, etc.

Ebay supplements? Scary ****. Supplements are known for not having the correct ingredients when bought from a normal place, yet alone stupid cheap off ebay. If you want a good thermo, pick up some thermocin from atlarge.

ReelBigFish
12-13-2005, 08:11 AM
It sounds to me like you've been starving yourself for much longer than you think. 2000 cals for 190lbs and 6ft.? and you're young right?

ShadyRensch
12-15-2005, 12:53 PM
Yea I'm 19 years old. Soph in college.. Trust me my roommates think I'm nuts for eating healthy and they tell me all the time, it just motivates me more. I really don't have a probelem eatin 1800 cals cuz I fill up my nalgene with water constantly. what would my maintenance be around. The only time I've counted cals besides on weight watchers is now on my cut. So I dunno what my maint. Cals would be

ReelBigFish
12-15-2005, 08:26 PM
I think you're probably starving yourself and your metabolism has slowed because of it. I think you need to up the cals some. i just don't see how your 19, 6ft, 190lbs and not dead, I'm 18 5'9 and 155 lbs and am slowly bulking at 3800.

ShadyRensch
12-15-2005, 09:41 PM
just don't see how your 19, 6ft, 190lbs and not dead
well that's definitely scary when you put it like that, i think i'll try to up my cals some yes, I just read in that other thread I posted in that albanat0r was on 1800 cals at 209 pounds, and hit a plateau, and then he did 2500 for 6 days and still lost a pound.

If I am in "starvation mode", that's a thing I was told me aobut when my mom used to be on weight watchers. If that's what I'm in, trust me I'd love to up my cals a bit if it will help me lose more fat, plus it's more food to eat, how can I not like that? Soo..what should I try, since i'm 187, should I try about 2100 cals since he was doing 2500 at 209?

PS, I was just sittin at about 1800 cals, and made a pb sandwich, and since there was some butterscotch brownies left, threw a 2'' by 2'' piece down. So now I'm sittin a little over 2300 cals...prolly too much.

ShadyRensch
12-15-2005, 10:58 PM
By the way, if anyone that's really knowledgeable on this, if you have AIM or MSN messenger, I feel like it would be easier to talk about on there. If anyone has time to talk for a few minutes, let me know. Thanks.

tigo
12-16-2005, 02:44 AM
i think i jsut firgured out i was on like a 1000 calorie deficit
hah

Unreal
12-16-2005, 05:50 AM
This is like the 10th time you've posted a diet thread, and you've been told your cals are way too low.

ShadyRensch
12-16-2005, 08:58 AM
^Yeah, well it's hard for me to get out of my routine. I used to be fat as hell, and when I picture in my mind eating more cals, I picture getting bigger again. But I realized that if I'm in starvation mode, that my body will use the extra calories and not have to store the fat I want to take off. Thanks for being helpful though. :rolleyes:

PS, can I be in starvation mode even if I don't feel like I am, like if I'm not hungry?

ReelBigFish
12-16-2005, 11:01 AM
^Yeah, well it's hard for me to get out of my routine. I used to be fat as hell, and when I picture in my mind eating more cals, I picture getting bigger again. But I realized that if I'm in starvation mode, that my body will use the extra calories and not have to store the fat I want to take off. Thanks for being helpful though. :rolleyes:

PS, can I be in starvation mode even if I don't feel like I am, like if I'm not hungry?

i'm a former fatty and sufferer of anorexia. Yes you can be starving and not know it. I know how it feels to feel like your going to just get fat if you start to gain weight. You have to over come that or be stuck at your same weight forever.

ShadyRensch
12-16-2005, 01:18 PM
^Thanks man, sounds good. I'm gonna up my cals to at least 2100 for a bit and see what that does.

ShadyRensch
12-23-2005, 11:30 AM
Should I see my weight take a little jump? Because I think it has gone up a little bit since trying this since last Friday.

ShockBoxer
12-23-2005, 11:37 AM
It could very easily be water weight from the extra carbs (I'm guessing you've added carbs to get up to there). It could also be your body not knowing what to do with the sudden extra food.

Either way, just watch it. If it goes up again next week then you might have a problem and have to cut back. I'm guessing it won't, though. I went from 1800 to 2400 and my weight has fluctuated between 162 and 164 since (I was 163 going in). Everyone is different, though. You might have a very sensitive metabolism ... so watch it closely for another week.