PDA

View Full Version : Question

Devilpup
12-13-2005, 09:11 PM
I got a question about gaining muscle mass and loosing fat at the same time. This has been hit on before, but my circumstances are a little bit different, so I am starting a new thread.

I am a wrestler. I want/need to lose weight. I don't want to lose muscle mass though, I want to lose fat and gain muscle mass and strength. So if gaining muscle mass makes me gain weight, thats fine, as long as I lose the fat.
So, what kind of diet should I be on? I know I need to eat lots of food to gain muscle, right? What kind of food? And keep in mind, if I do eat a lot of food, a lot of the calories from it will be eliminated by the running at practice everyday. We do different types of running for about an hour everyday.
I'm fine with eating lots of food, as long as it doesn't pack on the fat, I want to lose it. So, if I eat lots of food, and run and lift, will the food go to my muscles and not turn to fat? I don't have that much fat on me...maybe 5-8 lbs then I'm skin, muscle, and bones.
Thanks.

Shao-LiN
12-13-2005, 09:38 PM
So, if I eat lots of food, and run and lift, will the food go to my muscles and not turn to fat? I don't have that much fat on me...maybe 5-8 lbs then I'm skin, muscle, and bones.
Thanks.

In only the most rare of cases will someone have all the calories they consume go towards muscle hypertrophy, if that even happens at all. If you're bulking, you will undoubtedly gain some fat. To which degree will depend on your genetics, your diet (must be rock solid), and workout routine. So, since I'm not psychic, I can't tell you that all of what you gain will be lean body mass. It will heavily depend on you.

Track your calories, get a good routine going (WBB 1 is a great starting routine to learn all the basic, compound lifts), and adjust accordingly. If you aren't gaining weight, add more calories. If you anticipate that you will be running a lot, then eat more in order to compensate for the added calorie deficit. If you are gaining too fast that you are uncomfortable, drop the calories back. You will need to do a lot of fine tuning in order to find that sweet spot.

Big & Tall
12-13-2005, 09:43 PM
5-8 lbs of fat? How much do you weigh?

In general, you're either going to be putting on muscle and some fat, or losing fat and some muscle. If you're new to lifting, you could probably recompose some, but it would be noob gains, not something sustainable. And if you're already that lean, I wouldn't expect lifting to do much more for you. If you're doing wrestling practice, that should pretty much burn off any excess calories, so I would say eat LOTS (including ~1g of protein per pound of lean mass per day), and track your bodyweight. If you're really as lean as you say you are (you'd be ~5% bf at 150) I wouldn't worry about losing more weight until right before meets, and then I'd think it would be accomplished mostly through water weight and/or carb depletion.

Devilpup
12-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Last Saturday I weighed in at 138.8.....thats no water or food for 12 hours prior to that.
I'm eating less now. This is what I plan on doing...
breakfast
bagel or 1.5 pbj sandiwch or cereal, milk, water
lunch
pbj sandwich or salad, fruit, meat, orange juice, water
dinner
sandwich or rice, vegetables, chicken, water
Right before I lift I eat a piece of fruit, and right before practice I eat another piece of fruit.
Is this enough food? What does all the food do anyhow? Is it just for energy? I'm not looking to get bigger, just put on some muscle mass and get stronger. I've been lifting for about 1.5 years now.
Thanks.

tigo
12-14-2005, 03:41 PM
more protein. try drinking a protein shake with dextrose right after you workout.

Also i don't understand what you mean by you don't want to get bigger, but you want to put on muscle mass.

if all else fails.. if you're already at that low a body fat, a more extreme approach might be needed

Big & Tall
12-14-2005, 04:10 PM
That definitely does NOT seem like enough food. Try keeping track of everthing you eat for a week. Try www.fitday.com and track your calories, macronutrient profiles, and bodyweight, then report back.

Devilpup
12-14-2005, 09:32 PM
I want to get bigger as in muscle, not as in fat. I'll do the fitday.com thing and get back to y'all on that.
Again, what does all that food do to me? How does it help my muscle?
Thanks.