PDA

View Full Version : EFA's Causing Upset Stomach?

Optimum08
12-14-2005, 08:54 PM
I have a jar of EFA's caplets (costco brand) that i took for a little while at the beginning of the year, following that, i started getting some pretty bad stomach cramps and that sort of thing so i stopped taking them, the cramps proceeded to stop but i don't think im getting enough EFA's/fats in general without them. Is there something that i might have been doing (not drinking enough water, etc.) that could have been the cause of the stomach cramps other than the EFA's?

Bruise Brubaker
12-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Were you taking them with food? They can be hard on the stomach when taken alone.

malkore
12-15-2005, 10:19 AM
especially fish oil capsules ....no good on an empty stomach. take them after a meal, so the stomach is full of food to digest.

Optimum08
12-15-2005, 03:58 PM
alright i'll try that...would a protein shake consisting of 2 scoops nitrean like 16-20 oz. of skim milk and 1 scoop (protein scoop) of ground oats count as food? or enough for taking the EFA's?

waynis
12-15-2005, 05:57 PM
what are the ingredients in your fish oil caplets?

Bruise Brubaker
12-15-2005, 10:40 PM
The best would be a meal that has some fat, as to trigger the release of bile which helps a lot for the absorption of fat soluble stuff.

I don't think your shake is ok.

One of the best thing for fat absorption is eggs, their yolk contains a lot of lecithin which further helps the digestion of fat.

djreef
12-18-2005, 11:30 PM
The quality of the oil is also important, as is how the oil is processed, and where the oil is gotten. Alot of cheaper oils come from fish raised on farms as opposed to being harvested from the sea. Farm raised fish have a dramatically different lipid profile (way heavier in Omega 6) than wild caught fish, as a result of different dietary intakes by the animals being harvested. If your capsules smell fishy then they are prob not much good. Oxidized fish oil is worse than no fish oil at all. There are a number of companies now that offer quality oil that is in enterically coated capsules, so you may want to look into that. The coated capsules bust open further along in your GI tract so you don't get that pukey feeling from them, and you don't belch them up. Good luck.

DJ

Shao-LiN
12-19-2005, 10:26 AM
You'd want to take fish oil with a meal so it's not oxidized for energy.