PDA

View Full Version : Bulking Help

threatmix
12-15-2005, 10:09 AM
I've been bulking for two weeks now, and have been weighing myself and measuring my body fat each week, and I've gained mostly fat and little muscle. I have my calories raised 500 over maintenance, I'm doing the WBB1 routine, and I'm taking creatine. I've done cardio probably 3-4 times over these past two weeks. I seem to be doing everything right. I don't understand what's going on. Should I just not eat quite as much, or what?

HILL
12-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Are you training properly as well. and if you are trying to bulk their is no need to do cardio unless ure doing it to keep fit etc because it will only burn more cals. also whats ure diet like and whats ure maintanance cals give us the breakdown in cals/protein.carbs and fats

KingWilder
12-15-2005, 10:58 AM
what is your diet like? what kinds of foods are you eating?

threatmix
12-15-2005, 11:56 AM
I eat very clean. My maintenance is about 2800 cal. on an off-day(I found that to be about right, because I'd been maintaining my weight for about three months after a cut prior to starting the bulk. I'm at college, and I walk around everywhere, and I live up on a big hill, so that's why my maintenance is high. I've been trying to be less active during my bulk, though.) I'm now eating 500 cal. over maintenance. I usually eat 2-3 big salads a day with lots of beans, some turkey, and some olive oil, and maybe a cheese sandwich or some pasta. I eat 1-2 bowls of oatmeal with whey and natty pb or walnuts per day, and take fish oil supps. I eat about two pieces of fruit a day. And on some days I might have a turkey sub. My post-workout shake is 50% whey protein, 25% dextrose, and 25% maltodextrin. My diet is roughly 50-55% carbs, 25-30% protein, and 20-25% fat. I also rarely, if at all, have cheat meals. The only thing I can think of that could be considered a "cheat" was eating at a Chinese buffet, but even then, I ate the healthiest things available there. And like I said, I'm taking creatine. I'm doing the WBB1 workout, so I'm working each muscle once per week. I do continue to do some cardio to maintain a healthy heart, but when I do it, I factor it into my calorie level for the day. The only thing else I can think of is I only get about 6.5-7 hours of sleep/day because I have so many things to do, but I do maintain a strict sleeping schedule. Thanks for the replies.

muscleup
12-15-2005, 12:57 PM
How are you measuring your BF%?

I think 2 weeks is too short of a time to try and figure out why you are gaining mostly fat. I'm not sure that assesment can even be made after 2 weeks of a bulk.

97muscle
12-15-2005, 01:18 PM
Just keep doing what you are doing. you are probably going to put on some BF during a bulk, so don't worry so much about it. I have noticed that my abs have started to disappear a little since I started my bulk, but I just keep in mind how good I will look once I start to cut for the summer. The excess BF will just keep you warmer in the winter anyways. HAHA I used to freak out when my abs started to go away and so I would stop the bulk and then I wonder why I am not at 200 yet. So I am just having to suck it up. Just think about this, you probably look better than the majority of the US even when you are on a bulk.

Later

Jorge Sanchez
12-15-2005, 01:28 PM
How are you measuring your BF%?

I think 2 weeks is too short of a time to try and figure out why you are gaining mostly fat. I'm not sure that assesment can even be made after 2 weeks of a bulk.

I agree.

ShockBoxer
12-15-2005, 04:46 PM
My bulk attempt failed. After two weeks I just couldn't force that many cals down my throat. Found myself wandering back to 2000 to 2100.

Except today because there was Chinese at work for lunch. Mwahahaha. Easy 1200 cals in three meat egg rolls...

threatmix
12-15-2005, 07:38 PM
To measure my BF, I'm using calipers (three-site with a calculation on a website). I know it's not that accurate, but that's what I've always used, even during my last cut, so the relative gain is still apparent. And I can see a noticeable difference, too. I could understand if I'm just eating too much or something, but the ratio of fat to muscle that I've put on is so much. And even more, I'm taking creatine. I remember in high school, while playing football, I put on like 25 lbs in a month when I first started taking creatine (I'm sure a lot of it was water weight, but I barely put on any fat), and that was when I hadn't a clue about what a calorie actually was. I'm just going to lower my cals a bit, and try to get more rest, and otherwise stay with it, and see what happens.

muscleup
12-16-2005, 08:01 AM
I think you just gained some water weight and are over-reacting.

Addam1125
12-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Just keep pounding food! Who cares if you gain fat... That's what the cut is for ;-)

spencerjrus
12-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Just keep pounding food! Who cares if you gain fat... That's what the cut is for ;-)

:withstupi Worrying about your BF% during a bulk is a great way to make sure you never get big.

tigo
12-16-2005, 06:36 PM
eat like youre not gonna get food tomrorow hahaha
its weird though, after you cut, to be eating so much

i find taht i will eat at 2100 calories if i dont work at it, my maintenane being around 2800 or so

Built
12-16-2005, 06:43 PM
:withstupi Worrying about your BF% during a bulk is a great way to make sure you never get big.

I needed to hear this today.

Thanks!

muscleup
12-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Bulk bellys 4 teh w1nz0r

I look about a month past due...