PDA

View Full Version : Cardio?

gonzoflick
12-15-2005, 10:51 AM
OK now I understand the benefits of cardio. Better Cvascualr health, lose of fat, better oxygen to muscles...etc. But I am on a bulking phase and dont want to lose any prescious muscle that I am building. On the other hand I want to get into shape the right way and I know cardio is necessary. I have heard that short ultra intense sessions of cardio are good for bulking cycles. Can anyone give me an exampe of one of these or the exercises in them. What are you guys's opinions on cardio while bulking?

thanks

Gonzo

KingWilder
12-15-2005, 10:55 AM
i don't do any

Anthony
12-15-2005, 11:25 AM
I think you should do 1-3 short HIIT sessions per week. It's not hard to make up the extra calories burned and the benefits for your health and conditioning are worth it. Here are a few sessions I've done recently:

Bike HIIT
10 second sprint, 20 seconds rest, repeat for 5-20 minutes

Tabata HIIT
Pick 5 exercises (squats, chinups, pushups, situps, rowing machine) and do 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest, repeat 8 times, 1 minute rest between exercises. Lowest number of reps (calories on the rower) in a set for each exercise goes towards your total score. Aim for a score of 40+.

Swim Workout
4 laps (240 feet), 60 squats, 60 situps, repeat 3 rounds for time.

eastbaylifter
12-15-2005, 12:29 PM
I agree with Anthony. HIIT can do wonders in cutting while preserving or building muscle. My routine is on the elliptical machine. I vary the intervals, but I'll do 10-20 minutes of work/rest at: 20 sec/40 sec, 30/60, 45/75, 60/120. Sometimes I start with shorter intervals and move to longer as the workout progresses. Obviously work intensity goes down when you get to longer intervals.

frucyjuit
12-15-2005, 03:15 PM
kingwilder, one of your interests in your profile is running

how do you not do any cardio?