PDA

View Full Version : Natty PB vs Non Natty PB?

DarrenEff
12-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Everyone always says "make sure it's natty" when it comes to PB.

A few months ago I bought some (what I assumed was) natural PB at the grocery store, it had very little taste and all that oil junk on top. However I couldn't eat it, it was disgusting, so I switched back to my regular stuff.

Now recently someone posted a label and asked about Skippy (http://www.peanutbutter.com/natural.asp#). What I currently eat is Kraft Crunchy, and nowhere on the label do I see "natural" written, however the nutritional info is as follows:

Kraft Crunchy
Serving Size 2 Tbsp (30g)
Calories 180
Fat 16g (Saturated 3g, Trans 0g)
Sodium 120mg
Carbs 6g (2g Fibre, 2g Sugar)
Protein 6g

Skippy
Serving Size 2 Tbsp (32g)
Calories 190
Fat 16g (Saturated 3.5g, Trans 0g)
Sodium 150mg
Carbs 6g (2g Fibre, 3g Sugar)
Protein 8g

Now call me crazy but I don't see any real difference? Can I keep eating my Kraft? lol

thanks!

Built
12-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Ignore that part.

What are the ingredients in the "unnatural" one?

(edited to add: make sure the natural PB you get is salted. The unsalted one is, um, an acquired taste. Or so I'm told. <yuck> Me, I like salt!)

muscleup
12-15-2005, 02:39 PM
I think the whole "natty" reasoning is based on the contents of the PB, not the nutritional values. Meaning natty is Peanuts and salt. And the other stuff has possible artificial junk in it.

DarrenEff
12-15-2005, 02:43 PM
Ingredients:
Select Roasted peanuts, Soybean oil, Maltodextrin sugar, hydrogenated vegetable oil, dextrose, and salt

Wow you're fast Built, I was hoping to get my response from you too...what a perfect world =)
So what's the verdict?

Built
12-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Soybean oil is crap, but the worst offender is the hydrogenated vegetable oil.

Don't eat it.

Try Adams crunchy - SALTED.

DarrenEff
12-15-2005, 02:50 PM
I live in eastern canada... we don't have a huge selection. Definitely no Adams, maybe I'll try to find some Skippy or Smuckers, and make sure it has no soy or hydro oil?

Thanks!

muscleup
12-15-2005, 02:52 PM
The ingrediants will say:
peanuts, salt

that's it.

Built
12-15-2005, 02:53 PM
NP

I'm in Western Canada - Adams is everywhere here.

Any natural PB will do. My personal opinion is that the crunchy ones taste better than the smooth in the natty PB world - the smooth ones are still a little gritty, so if it's not going to be perfectly smooth, I'd rather have a little bit of deliberate crunch, but that's me.

Try it on chunks of apple.

tigo
12-15-2005, 03:51 PM
^whats wrong with soybean oil?

not jsut in natty pb but cooking?
because most asian stirfry dishes are made with it and iwas just wondering because i eat chinese food alot

Built
12-15-2005, 04:39 PM
I tend to avoid PUFAs - they're fragile and don't handle heat well.

HelpMeLift
12-15-2005, 07:21 PM
wait a sec i've been eating stop & shop lowfat peanut butter. it says all natural on it, but natty pb is only supposed to have peanuts and salt? so have i been eating that unnatural **** this whole time? it tastes pretty damn good though.

Built
12-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Why on earth would you eat lowfat peanut butter? The whole point is to eat it for the healthy fat!

D Breyer
12-15-2005, 08:10 PM
lol i used to eat spoonfuls of reduced fat peanut butter and not feel guilty...
my thinking was:
if you dont eat fat... you dont get fat, right?

HelpMeLift
12-15-2005, 08:22 PM
eh not really. well i'm gonna start buying the regular one then but does anyone know if this stuff is natural?

Unreal
12-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Go look at the ingredients. If it says peanuts and salt, then your go to go.

My brand from Costco says "100% organic roasted peanuts, Sea Salt". Thats it for ingredients.

Built
12-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Read the ingredients.

Is the word "hydrogenated" on it anywhere?

If so - it's not natural.

malkore
12-16-2005, 09:49 AM
Why on earth would you eat lowfat peanut butter? The whole point is to eat it for the healthy fat!

My favorite is the "Low-Carb" peanut butters.

If they didn't add sugar, they wouldn't need to make it low carb!

Addam1125
12-16-2005, 02:32 PM
I had no idea there was a difference. I have been pounding JIF this whole time..

spencerjrus
12-16-2005, 05:32 PM
I had no idea there was a difference. I have been pounding JIF this whole time..

Ugh dude dont kill yourself, get out there and get some real PB asap.

Addam1125
12-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Ugh dude dont kill yourself, get out there and get some real PB asap.

Came back from the store w/ 3 Jars natty pb.. My Mom's like "WTF I JUST BOUGHT A WHOLE CASE!"

And I'm the only one in the house who eats pb..lolol..

BTW, I just noticed there is sugar in this.. :-\ Is that ok?

Built
12-17-2005, 10:37 PM
There's sugar in your natty pb? (sugar's fine, by the way)

What else is in it?

RBC13
12-18-2005, 08:58 PM
Hmm she bought a whole case, that sucks, how many did she buy?

malkore
12-19-2005, 01:29 PM
BTW, I just noticed there is sugar in this.. :-\ Is that ok?

Sugar listed in the ingredients? Or that it contains like 1-2g of sugar per serving on the nutrition facts?

DarrenEff
12-19-2005, 04:14 PM
I just got back from a trip to Sobeys, Superstore (huge atlantic chain of grocery stores) and even Walmart. No one has any brand name natty PB, just their own stuff which i've tried in the past and its gross. I have one more local grocery store to check, hopefully they have something.

Addam1125
12-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Ingredients:

Sugar, Peanuts, Salt

She bought like 12 cans reg pb.. lol :-D Whoops!

ReelBigFish
12-19-2005, 09:06 PM
I just got back from a trip to Sobeys, Superstore (huge atlantic chain of grocery stores) and even Walmart. No one has any brand name natty PB, just their own stuff which i've tried in the past and its gross. I have one more local grocery store to check, hopefully they have something.

They should atleast have Smuckers. I've been to Wal-Mart's in Minnesota, Mississippi, Pennsylvania and Maryland and they all had it.

TTT
12-19-2005, 10:36 PM
(edited to add: make sure the natural PB you get is salted. The unsalted one is, um, an acquired taste. Or so I'm told. <yuck> Me, I like salt!)
I don't mind the unsalted stuff, but I eat pretty much anything.

And you're right, everyone should stay away from those deadly PUFA's :)

spencerjrus
12-19-2005, 10:40 PM
I don't mind the unsalted stuff, but I eat pretty much anything.

And you're right, everyone should stay away from those deadly PUFA's :)

You dont eat it plain do you? I could imagine putting it into shakes or something since thats what I do with most of my PB but eating unsalted straight from the jar would leave me queasy.

DarrenEff
12-20-2005, 12:40 AM
ReelBig, I was suprised to see they didnt even have smuckers brand PB whatsoever, just jam and stuff..but again im eastern canada, pretty remote place

malkore
12-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Ingredients:

Sugar, Peanuts, Salt

so, more sugar, than peanuts since ingredients are listed by % of total product.

yeah, definitely NOT the natty PB

spencerjrus
12-20-2005, 04:15 PM
so, more sugar, than peanuts since ingredients are listed by % of total product.

yeah, definitely NOT the natty PB

He probably just listed them out of order.

malkore
12-21-2005, 01:48 PM
but, what if he didn't! that's like, sacreligious!

"would you like a peanut to go with your sugar sir?"

TTT
12-22-2005, 01:51 AM
You dont eat it plain do you? I could imagine putting it into shakes or something since thats what I do with most of my PB but eating unsalted straight from the jar would leave me queasy.

Yeah man. I just ate a huge spoonful a few minutes ago, plus I've got some on a sandwich now. But, like I said, I eat anything. I'll eat peanut butter with lettuce, peanut butter with tomatoes, peanut butter with cheese, all kinds of stuff.

I don't see how you could not like the unsalted stuff, and still eat unsalted peanuts (or don't you like those, either?)
I made some peanut butter once in a food processor. I didn't add any salt, and it was pretty good. Tasted exactly the same as the unsalted stuff in the jar, but the particle size was a tiny bit bigger.

getfit
12-22-2005, 01:53 AM
Yeah man. I just ate a huge spoonful a few minutes ago, plus I've got some on a sandwich now. But, like I said, I eat anything. I'll eat peanut butter with lettuce, peanut butter with tomatoes, peanut butter with cheese, all kinds of stuff.
and when i thought i was the only one that did that :p

TTT
12-22-2005, 01:54 AM
Great minds eat alike.

malkore
12-22-2005, 09:42 AM
I love peanut butter lollipops! (stick spoon in jar, twist, remove...munch!)

muscleup
12-22-2005, 09:57 AM
I love peanut butter lollipops! (stick spoon in jar, twist, remove...munch!)
Is there any other way to eat it?!

I gotta have milk with peanut butter spoons or I will sufficate myself to death.

harv
12-22-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm impressed with the eating abilities of fellow board members...wow.

So, what's the deal with hydrogenated vegetable oil? I hear it's bad....but how. Just curious.

getfit
12-22-2005, 12:28 PM
interesting read here

http://www.natural-health-information-centre.com/hydrogenated-fats.html

harv
12-22-2005, 01:25 PM
thanks fitty!