PDA

View Full Version : protein and the body

kique
12-16-2005, 10:47 AM
im wondering how much protein a body can process per serving, and how long does it take the body to be able to start processing another serving.

spencerjrus
12-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Whats your definition of a serving? I wouldnt eat anymore than 50grams of protein an hour, but that has nothing to do with protein absorption, simply digestion.

Your body doesnt work like you seem to be suggesting though, its not on a timer or scale. If you eat food, your body will make use of it, the more you eat the longer it takes to digest, but its not like you're not going to be crapping out significant amounts of unused protein.

kique
12-16-2005, 11:18 AM
thing is i heard that the body only uses an amount in grams of protein per serving

Slim Schaedle
12-16-2005, 11:47 AM
What you heard is wrong

smalls
12-16-2005, 02:08 PM
Exactly.

Do a search there are many many threads on this topic.

trfe
12-22-2005, 01:16 PM
If one is to eat a good amount of protein in the diet, say 40% is protein, they lift hard, but don't eat enough calories to bulk up and add significant mass. What happens?

spencerjrus
12-22-2005, 01:23 PM
If one is to eat a good amount of protein in the diet, say 40% is protein, they lift hard, but don't eat enough calories to bulk up and add significant mass. What happens?

You could make some minor strength gains, but you wont get any bigger.

trfe
12-22-2005, 01:27 PM
How does one get "cut up" then? Wouldn't you lower your calories to do that?

Unreal
12-22-2005, 02:18 PM
You get bulk and get large muscles, then you cut to reduce body fat. Being "cut up" is nothing more then big enough muscles with low enough body fat for good definition.

Mercuryblade
12-22-2005, 05:03 PM
As for how much the body can use per serving, there really are no concrete figures. I'll save you some time, most say about 1g protein per pound of bodyweight, for best absorption (and easiest digestion) try and spread this throughout the day. Minus right afterworkouts, in which I eat a protein shake that contains about 60 gs of protein. Just make sure you get some kind of protein every time you eat, it's not that hard (a natty peanut butter sandwich with 2.5 tbsps pb alone has 20g protein). That and DRINK WATER. Your kidneys will thank you.