PDA

View Full Version : First Pics:Critique and Suggestions Welcome

Lean-N-Mean
12-17-2005, 03:24 AM
Finally got a digital camera , so here are my first pics. A little background , at the beginning of the year I weighed 170lbs , I am 5'9" , so I was a bit pudgy with no muscle definition. I dieted for January , than Feb-Dec , Diet and Excercise. I currently weigh right at 150lbs. I tried bulking up , but I could only get to 158 or 159 , so I went the opposite way of late and done nothing but cardio and lifting , all the while taking in 1800-2000 calories a day. This has done a pretty good job cutting me up , but I definitely lost mass and strength. I want to try and bulk again , I want to look a but more thicker , but am afraid of losing definition , any suggestions. Tell me what you think so far. I will get pictures of my legs soon enough , I am not trying to hide them or anything . I just didn't get around to taking them. Thanks for any comments.

HILL
12-17-2005, 05:35 AM
Bulk, Bulk and bulk. Congrats on getting cut and alot of people worry about loosing definition but wouldnt u like to bulk right up and loose that skinny definition to then cut down bf and have muscle definition?? In my opinion get ureself to the diet forums and find the best way to add a few thousand cals and get ureself up another 20 - 30 pound

gator
12-17-2005, 07:58 AM
adding a few thousand cals? I wouldn't go that far, I would aim for about 3000 cals and see where that puts you, after a week see how much you have gained and go from there.

Mercuryblade
12-17-2005, 03:54 PM
Don't worry about losing the abs. The only way to build a decent amount of muscle is to get a lil fat. Don't worry, it's the winter, just keep your shirt on for a few months. If you've lost the weight once before, you can do it again.

gator
12-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Your going to put on some fat, but if you do a nice clean bulk and just eat a little over maintance then you dont have to worry about getting really fat. Some people here seem to think you need to eat extremely heavy, which will then just make your cuts last longer and in essence be counter productive. From what I undrestand if you are 200 cals over maintance or 500 cals over you will still be gaining the same amount of muscle right?

Mercuryblade
12-18-2005, 01:25 AM
From what I undrestand if you are 200 cals over maintance or 500 cals over you will still be gaining the same amount of muscle right?
It's alot more complicated than that, I don't really know all the specific details, in fact people don't know 100% why exactly (why exactly gainingfat during a bulk is the best way to gain weight), but it works. The fact of the matter is for the majority of people out there, myself included, the seemingly most easy (natural) and effective way to add any significant amount of muscle is to put on some fat as well. It's all over this board, if it wasn't true it wouldn't appear in almost every thread: Bulk then cut, bulk then cut, bulk then cut. If we didn't get fat during a bulk there would be no reason to cut.

accuFLEX
12-18-2005, 07:59 AM
anyone with me on saying....jocky?

Gutz981
12-18-2005, 08:02 AM
Aye. Not saying I wouldn't like those abs tho.

Lean-N-Mean
12-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Jockey? Com'n I'm not 5'2" :) I wanted a six pack and I figured the easiest way to do that was cut my cals way down and increase my cardio. Thanks for the compliment Gutz981.
Since I posted my pics I have started my creatine cycle again along with my whey protein , and I am chugging milk and eating natty pb like it's going out of style , by March I would like to be 160-65 with the same definition , we will see how it goes.

Gutz981
12-18-2005, 05:29 PM
You look really familar to me...look like my girlfriend's dad. Ehhh weird. But nice work on the cut abs look real nice. Out of anything I have acomplished abs is the one thing i have yet to achive. So I envy and hate those who have them ;) lol. But that being said pack on some mass and let the good times roll brotha.

Manveet
12-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Good work,

You can definitely do a slow bulk and pack on some solid mass.

Lean-N-Mean
12-18-2005, 05:52 PM
"You look really familar to me...look like my girlfriend's dad." Damn no one was supposed to find , I guess I'm screwed.
I have always wanted the abs , but this year I just got real serious about it , it has taken me a year , but I like the way they look. They can get more defined for sure , but I happy for now.
As for the slow bulk I think that is probably the way to go , I am not going to try and get all the bulk back overnight , but gradually. That way I can tweak my program if I am not getting the desired results. I am cutting my cardio way down to twice a week from 5 or 6 , I think this will help retain some of the mass. I also think my workouts will be more productive with the additional calories. Sometimes I just didn't have the energy to do a good workout. Anyways I am off to the gym , did legs this morning , time for chest , yeah!!!

rookiebldr
12-18-2005, 06:25 PM
Eat! you could be huge!

But you're looking great. Just add some more bulk.

KevinStarke
12-18-2005, 06:55 PM
Pfft, who needs good looking abbs, gain weigth and build POWER!!!

Lean-N-Mean
12-18-2005, 07:11 PM
Pfft, who needs good looking abbs, gain weigth and build POWER!!!

Personal preference that's all. Plus chicks dig guys with good abs :)

Lean-N-Mean
12-18-2005, 07:12 PM
Eat! you could be huge!

But you're looking great. Just add some more bulk.

I appreciate it , I am going to give it another shot. Now that I know how to cut , I won't be afraid to try and gain some mass.

RBC13
12-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Personal preference that's all. Plus chicks dig guys with good abs :)

Yea i second that.

dw06wu
12-19-2005, 12:32 AM
You weigh 158 now and hope to be 160-165 by march? Jesus, I sure hope you make that goal. Nice abs though, something I've not been able to replicate thus far.

edit ok i misread, but stil 10-15lb should not be hard in 3 months.

Lean-N-Mean
12-19-2005, 05:55 PM
You weigh 158 now and hope to be 160-165 by march? Jesus, I sure hope you make that goal. Nice abs though, something I've not been able to replicate thus far.

edit ok i misread, but stil 10-15lb should not be hard in 3 months.

I hope so , but man no matter what I did that 160lb barrier was something I couldn't crack. Maybe I was just trying to eat too healthy. I should probably say "%@#$ it" and have that piece of cheescake if I want it.

Today I had a Chipotle Burrito (calories = a lot) , a starbucks frappucinno , a piece of choclate pound cake , some oatmeal , my protein shake. Now for dinner hmmm....Maybe a tub of peanut butter.

I am already up to 154-155 , I have noticed already my workouts have been more productive with the added cals and the creatine.

SpecialK
12-19-2005, 06:30 PM
I hope so , but man no matter what I did that 160lb barrier was something I couldn't crack. Maybe I was just trying to eat too healthy. I should probably say "%@#$ it" and have that piece of cheescake if I want it.

Today I had a Chipotle Burrito (calories = a lot) , a starbucks frappucinno , a piece of choclate pound cake , some oatmeal , my protein shake. Now for dinner hmmm....Maybe a tub of peanut butter.

I am already up to 154-155 , I have noticed already my workouts have been more productive with the added cals and the creatine.

You need to track exactly what you eat on www.fitday.com

Most people who say they have trouble gaining weight are eating far less than they think they are.

Also your diet today isn't all that great.

Lean-N-Mean
12-19-2005, 07:34 PM
You need to track exactly what you eat on www.fitday.com

Most people who say they have trouble gaining weight are eating far less than they think they are.

Also your diet today isn't all that great.

I know , but I tried the grilled chicken , steamed veggie , whey protein route. It just didn't work , trust me. I mean this whole year I ate perfect , there is only so much grilled chicken , tuna , and whey one can eat. It takes a tremendous amount of "good" food to get the necessary cals. Max I was getting was probably 2500-2750 , I bet I was barely breaking even with my energy needs. It appears from the forums that quantity is more important than quality when bulking. So I will jack my intake to about 3500-4k a day , get 300+ grams a protein a day and see what happens , if I get fat , I will just do cardio and intake 1800-2000 cals a day and I will be lean again. I know that works. I am so frustrated at this point it doesn't matter argggh!

Lean-N-Mean
12-20-2005, 10:30 PM
here are some leg pictures I promised.

hardcorehbomb
12-21-2005, 02:54 AM
Lookin good bro, keep it up!

Lean-N-Mean
12-21-2005, 07:30 AM
Lookin good bro, keep it up!
Thanks.

I used to hate working legs , but now I don't kind of mind. I guess since I started noticing some improvement it made it easier. They are not great or massive , but they are definitely an improvement from where I was at the beginning of the year.

Jorge Sanchez
12-21-2005, 08:25 AM

Eating healthy is not antithetical to gaining weight.

Bob
12-21-2005, 08:41 AM
10-15 lbs in 4 months.. you should still have the abs...
Just with a bigger frame around it..

Good luck... and good progress so far..

Lean-N-Mean
12-21-2005, 02:53 PM
10-15 lbs in 4 months.. you should still have the abs...
Just with a bigger frame around it..

Good luck... and good progress so far..

That's the goal. Just for my own personal preference I want to have the abs , but looking back at my pictures I noticed I was borderline emaciated. What's the use in having good-great abs if you look like you can't afford to eat. I have been gourging of late , I can't wait to see what I weigh at the gym tonight. Even though it has been only a few days , maybe a week , I just look a little...fuller.

dw06wu
12-23-2005, 06:13 PM
I just look a little...fuller.
extra carbs and water will do that. Just get in the gym and keep eating, you should have no problem hitting 165 at all. Like someone else said, track on Fitday and search/ask for a critique in the diet & nutrition forum once you have that settled.

Lean-N-Mean
12-28-2005, 02:04 PM
158 after my workout today. This is where I usually bog down , but hopefully I will break through the 160 barrier soon. I will keep everyone posted.

Bigmofo
12-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Dude, don't listen to any of this fat kids wannabebodybuilder that is trying to give you a hard time, its just jealousy, you are doing great!!!, who gives a **** if you are 200 pounds if you look like crap? Clean bulking is the way to go, if you eat like a pig you will end up at 190 pounds and 18% bodyfat, only to have a hard time dieting down and reaching 165 pounds lean with all your skin stretched, remember that top bodybuilders bulk at 10-11%. If you are a powerlifter, then forget all of the above, but for the rest of us that like to look good in the beach...thats the wat to go.

Most of the people in this forum would die to have the body you have, so keep it up, up the calories but keep them clean.

Lean-N-Mean
12-28-2005, 11:00 PM
Dude, don't listen to any of this fat kids wannabebodybuilder that is trying to give you a hard time, its just jealousy, you are doing great!!!, who gives a **** if you are 200 pounds if you look like crap? Clean bulking is the way to go, if you eat like a pig you will end up at 190 pounds and 18% bodyfat, only to have a hard time dieting down and reaching 165 pounds lean with all your skin stretched, remember that top bodybuilders bulk at 10-11%. If you are a powerlifter, then forget all of the above, but for the rest of us that like to look good in the beach...thats the wat to go.

Most of the people in this forum would die to have the body you have, so keep it up, up the calories but keep them clean.

Thanks for the advice. I don't want to be huge or anything , my goal on the high end is probably 175 , I think 170 is a more realistic goal. I want to have good proportions and definition , I think anything above that and I won't.
I appreciate the compliment , sometimes all you need is a little positive reinforcement , thanks.

SpecialK
12-28-2005, 11:48 PM
I know , but I tried the grilled chicken , steamed veggie , whey protein route. It just didn't work , trust me. I mean this whole year I ate perfect , there is only so much grilled chicken , tuna , and whey one can eat. It takes a tremendous amount of "good" food to get the necessary cals. Max I was getting was probably 2500-2750 , I bet I was barely breaking even with my energy needs. It appears from the forums that quantity is more important than quality when bulking. So I will jack my intake to about 3500-4k a day , get 300+ grams a protein a day and see what happens , if I get fat , I will just do cardio and intake 1800-2000 cals a day and I will be lean again. I know that works. I am so frustrated at this point it doesn't matter argggh!

What are you saying, that you had physical difficulty eating that volume of food, or what? If so, you should try getting most of you calories from shakes. It is much easier to drink cals than it is to eat them. Put 2 cups of skim milk, 1 cup oats, 2 scoops whey, 2 tbsps of natty PB in a blender, mix, and drink. That's 900 cals right there. It won't even fill you up all that much either. Plus it's cheaper than eating chicken, fish, etc.

Lean-N-Mean
12-29-2005, 10:59 PM
What are you saying, that you had physical difficulty eating that volume of food, or what? If so, you should try getting most of you calories from shakes. It is much easier to drink cals than it is to eat them. Put 2 cups of skim milk, 1 cup oats, 2 scoops whey, 2 tbsps of natty PB in a blender, mix, and drink. That's 900 cals right there. It won't even fill you up all that much either. Plus it's cheaper than eating chicken, fish, etc.
Thanks for the advice , I tried getting the bulk of my calories through food. I need to start loading up on the shakes it seems.

Lean-N-Mean
01-07-2006, 02:04 PM
160.5!!! Thank God. I found this new drink from ABB , Extreme XXL , 24oz - 1090 calories. 220g of carbs , 50g of protein. I have 1 of those a day and have no problem with getting my cals.

Davidelmo
01-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Try adding olive oil to stuff - 180kcal per tbps
Eat nuts all day long
Drink milk all day long
Peanut butter, whey, oats, milkshake = 1000kcal in minutes

You dont need those weight gain drinks. I bet that pb smoothie costs less! :D

Mick357
01-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the advice , I tried getting the bulk of my calories through food. I need to start loading up on the shakes it seems.
I dont mean to step on anyones toes, but supplements are just that, Supplements. you should be getting the majority of your calories from foods and the calories you cant get from the foods, use the supplements.
It may be easier and cheaper to use the shakes(supplements) but try not to base your daily caloric intake around them.

imageD
01-08-2006, 12:36 AM
I dont mean to step on anyones toes, but supplements are just that, Supplements. you should be getting the majority of your calories from foods and the calories you cant get from the foods, use the supplements.
It may be easier and cheaper to use the shakes(supplements) but try not to base your daily caloric intake around them.

Try telling that to mr. chase on this forum

Calories are calories, your body doesn't really know the difference. I recommend using a quality gainer like Cytogainer with milk and natural peanut butter. Beats the hell out of stuffing 1100calories of food down your mouth

brickt.
01-08-2006, 01:02 AM
Whole foods > Supplements.

Whole Food can equal a shake that consists of milk, pb, oats, whey.

Mick357
01-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Try telling that to mr. chase on this forum

Calories are calories, your body doesn't really know the difference. I recommend using a quality gainer like Cytogainer with milk and natural peanut butter. Beats the hell out of stuffing 1100calories of food down your mouth

hmmmm.... so why dont we do away with steaks and chicken and fish all together. lets just make it a liquid diet world. after all, its all about conveniece isnt it?? McDonalds Burger King all convenient too and like you said calories are calories right? so then it should matter if they come from fat or protein(if calories are calorie). sports supplement were designed to be used as a supplement to a daily diet. but hey if you wanna go the route of consuming the majority of your calories from supplements be my guest.