PDA

View Full Version : few Q's about the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet

beginner18
01-06-2002, 02:19 PM
hey.. ive just read some articles on the CKD and got a few questions...

Q1. "keto breath". Keto-breath happens due to breathing out ketones, and you will get a metallic taste in your mouth and your breath will smell.
*how long will this smell last 4?
*is the only solution just to brush your teeth more and start chewing gum more regularly?

Q2. due to the elimination of carbs certain nutrient deficiencies will take place, so supplementation with a multivitamin/mineral at least and many more useful supplements during this diet are necessary.
*what kind of suppliments are suggested to have?

Q3. it may take up to 2 weeks for the brain to adapt to using ketones as fuel, this diet may not be a good idea.
*im a uni student, start back in 5 weeks, by the time i start uni again would this have allowed my brain enough time to adapt to using the ketones as fuel?
*after it adapts, how significant will the brain change? or will it just return back to normal after a few weeks with little noticable change?

Paul Stagg
01-07-2002, 03:24 PM
hey.. ive just read some articles on the CKD and got a few questions...

Q1. "keto breath". Keto-breath happens due to breathing out ketones, and you will get a metallic taste in your mouth and your breath will smell.
*how long will this smell last 4?

** 'till you come out of ketosis

*is the only solution just to brush your teeth more and start chewing gum more regularly?

** Sugar free mints.

Q2. due to the elimination of carbs certain nutrient deficiencies will take place, so supplementation with a multivitamin/mineral at least and many more useful supplements during this diet are necessary.
*what kind of suppliments are suggested to have?

** Multivitamin and Fiber

Q3. it may take up to 2 weeks for the brain to adapt to using ketones as fuel, this diet may not be a good idea.
*im a uni student, start back in 5 weeks, by the time i start uni again would this have allowed my brain enough time to adapt to using the ketones as fuel?

** Yep. In 5 weeks you'll know how it affects you

*after it adapts, how significant will the brain change? or will it just return back to normal after a few weeks with little noticable change?

** Basically what happens is most people go into a bit of a fog for a couple of weeks. After that, it depends... some people find they are better at some things, some worse, and some see no difference. There is no evidence that any of the changes are permanent