PDA

View Full Version : homemaid bars

gator
12-18-2005, 01:57 AM
I was thinking of making some homemade bars, I'm not looking for a recipe because I've searched for them. However I'm wondering how long are the bars generally good for if kept in the fridge? Also when do most people eat these...when they know they aren't going to be able to have a meal for some time so you just grab one before you leave?

Unreal
12-18-2005, 08:02 AM
Its going to depend on what you put in then. If its just peanut butter, oats, honey, they should last just about forever. If your adding eggs and other stuff that can spoil, then they will probably last however long till the ingredient that spoils the fastest goes bad.

HILL
12-18-2005, 08:34 AM
I used to use them as a replacement bar or as a way of getting more cals as each one was about 500. check the recipe section for different ways however mine just contained oats/peanut butter/tad of milk/ whey protein powder/honey. heat the peanut butter and honey for about 90 secs then add oats and protein powder i also addad raisins which made em real nice. once mixed but em in some foil when they harden i made 6 bars each containing 450 cals/35p/32c/20f and every1 i new that tried one liked them and i think it wored out they cost me 3 quid to make 6 much cheaper than buying em

gator
12-18-2005, 11:43 AM
Definatly much cheaper and better for you to make them. I was thinking about making a big batch and taking some with me up to my college, put them in a a cooler on the drive up after vacation. Because some weekends I'll go out for a long time and wont have any time to eat, it will be much easer to get my cals on those days If I could just eat a bar or two. Could even take a break once and a while from eating tuna or cottage cheese.